football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Europa Cup draw
mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 12:15
This season's Europa League group stages have been determined - and we will be lining up in Group E.

The draw took place on Friday and saw us, one of 12 teams in Pot One, come out in Group E.

We will be face Sporting Clube de Portugal, Qarabag FK (Azerbaijan) and FC Vorskla Poltava (Ukraine)

Re: Europa Cup draw
Padre Pio (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 12:25
Quite a bit of travelling there, need to get Ukraine out of the way before winter sets in

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 14:21
Aye.
Emery will have no choice but to bring the entire Reserves squad and Under-23 to those faraway places.

litmus (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 15:24
Quote:
mapleleafgooner

We will be face Sporting Clube de Portugal, Qarabag FK (Azerbaijan) and FC Vorskla Poltava (Ukraine)

Oh thanks, I was just wondering where those clubs were from. I heard of Qarabag before but not the last team drawn.

Yup, looks like there is a fair amount of travelling. I reckon those away games are not as easy, most European teams are up for it in their own den, and its likely Unai will play the many youngsters for these games due to the long distance and the Thursday-Sunday matches.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 18:22
Yeah I'd never heard of the Ukrainian team either.

31 August, 2018 23:30
Ozil might get the bug for the games in Ukraine and Azerbaijan.

31 August, 2018 23:53
Mkhitaryan may not travel to Azerbaijan for Arsenal's Europa for his aafety. This is due to ongoing tensions between Armenia and Azerbaijan. If Arsenal make it to the finals, he might sit that out as well as the Europa final is held in Baku.

litmus (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 16:08
It doesn't make sense to have the final in Baku of all places, what with all the tensions and issues. Who selects the final's venue every year? And on what grounds? Do they draw ping pong balls?

MattySadler (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 05:55
Quote:
litmus
It doesn't make sense to have the final in Baku of all places, what with all the tensions and issues. Who selects the final's venue every year? And on what grounds? Do they draw ping pong balls?

I think this was the first year where football associations submitted bids to host the final and the bids were evaluated by a UEFA committee.

I don't get it either. Personally I'd avoid any countries with unrest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net