football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Emery.
Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
30 August, 2018 23:16
Article on our new head coach, it's quite long, but well worth a read.

[www.fourfourtwo.com]

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Re: Emery.
Padre Pio (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 08:23
Good read and not that long.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 09:47
Good read. Not long. Will need the players to buy into his methods. Or they get shipped out. Like Wenger, both are obsessed and breathe football. Unlike Wenger who is macro with his players on team preparation, Emery is micro to the point of an@l. For sure he will take 2 to 3 seasons to get it right for Arsenal.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 14:26
liked this one as well

Unai Emery's Arsenal: What's changed in the new regime?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/08/2018 14:27 by SuperRob.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 15:36
Yes, he will need 3 years to develop highly technical players with superb first touch, spatial awareness to pass first time in a rigid tactical formation with each player awares his role in space and zone.

'In the end the most satisfying solution is the one where you have cleared everything away and there is no solution at all any more, at the same time, the problem has been solved. That's the nicest way of doing it.'
Brilliant Orange [2010]

Bergmars (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 21:07
I am confident given the time he will be successful

A shadow of what we were

MattySadler (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 15:50
I agree. Good read.

I love the attention to detail.

Shane (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 16:26
I'm still reading it after clicking in on Thursday. It's such a long read but good so far. Cheers BG.

Goofle (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 11:58
He's awful.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 13:00
I agree with Tom. Scraping a win against the worst side in the league is not good enough!

younghansolo (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 13:07
Jury's very much still out for me.

Not seen any difference from Wenger yet in all honesty.
The defence is still terrible and disorganised.
He persists with playing players out of position or when they're off form.
He hasn't;t solved our Ozil problem.
Still absolutely no width.
Beleren is still terrible.

It could very easily be Wenger managing this team.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 16:00
How do you decide a manager who has a winning track record and has been successful in his previously roles, is now useless after 4 games? Two of those games being losses against the league winners of the last 2 seasons as well.

He has inherited an absolute shower of s.hite from Wenger. I’d agree I’d been hoping to be see more improvements in the defence by now, but it’s going to take time for the team to gel into his philosophy.

Writing him off after 4 games is dumb.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

younghansolo (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 16:36
I'm sorry but he didn't inherit a bad team. He inherited a team that got to the semi if the Europa and the final of the league cup. We scored plenty of goals last season and were great at home. Its not like we finished 15th.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 17:06
Wenger left us as a top 6 team in the end, miles behind Spurs FFS and nowhere near good enough for CL anymore. That is Emery’s starting point and he’s hardly been backed in the transfer market either.

I don’t understand how people are expecting him to have worked miracles and turned the team into world beaters within 4 games.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

SandyB (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 18:15
Quote:
BootyDaddy
Wenger left us as a top 6 team in the end, miles behind Spurs FFS and nowhere near good enough for CL anymore. That is Emery’s starting point and he’s hardly been backed in the transfer market either.
I don’t understand how people are expecting him to have worked miracles and turned the team into world beaters within 4 games.
Broken rose tainted glasses of AKBs (Sm6)

SuperRob (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 12:27
Quote:
younghansolo
I'm sorry but he didn't inherit a bad team. He inherited a team that got to the semi if the Europa and the final of the league cup. We scored plenty of goals last season and were great at home. Its not like we finished 15th.

Tbh the only reason we scored so many last season was because we didn't do any defending, not because we were a good attacking team. The only players who didn't join in the attacks were the centre backs and the goalkeeper.

If you attack with that many players, it's not surprising that you score lots and concede lots.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 13:06
Quote:
BootyDaddy

I'm not sure anyone is expecting miracles so quickly. However, you would expect change. My argument is that there hasn't been any real change in the issues from last season. I wanted something different not more of the same but someone else in charge.

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 13:46
I haven't been impressed but Emery needs time.

Let's be honest, we should have easily beaten Chelsea away with the ridiculous chances missed. So overall the performances are not that bad but the defence is a shambles.

His track record suggests he'll do well. But this season will be a challenge.

Shane (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 21:10
Emery has won enough down the years to deserve at least one season, but if the recruitment lads let him and the club down in January then I wouldn't be against jogging them on.

The Emirates would've been burnt down had Wenger started the season with Bellerin, Mustafi, Sokratis and Maitland-Niles in the back four for our curtain raiser, against the champions.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 21:23
Who would have burned it down, our legion of foreign tourist fans?

Shane (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 21:29
The ones who stopped going last season I imagine. That's what the tipping point was for Wenger. If attendances don't plummet then he isn't told to move on.

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 00:56
Quote:
Shane
Emery has won enough down the years to deserve at least one season, but if the recruitment lads let him and the club down in January then I wouldn't be against jogging them on.
The Emirates would've been burnt down had Wenger started the season with Bellerin, Mustafi, Sokratis and Maitland-Niles in the back four for our curtain raiser, against the champions.

Wenger had 20 years though. You can't judge a new manager the same. I remember Pep's Man City got thrashed by both Everton & Leicester in his first season and only made 4th on last day of season.And Man city had a much superior squad than we do now.

So if Pep struggled, how can we justify moving Emery on unless its a complete disaster like Moyes at Man Utd?

younghansolo (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 10:05
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Quote:
Shane

Wenger had 20 years though. You can't judge a new manager the same. I remember Pep's Man City got thrashed by both Everton & Leicester in his first season and only made 4th on last day of season.And Man city had a much superior squad than we do now.

So if Pep struggled, how can we justify moving Emery on unless its a complete disaster like Moyes at Man Utd?

I think it's entirely fair to judge a new manager if he's clearly doing the same things that annoyed the fans about the last manager.

SandyB (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 12:47
Emery is doing far better than Wenger in all aspects within first 4 games. He isn’t playing players out of position, trying to use the best players available to him, trying to play to the strength of the squad which is still attack. Bringing in new players slowly integrating to the team. Developing better fitness of the entire squad. Those who can’t see all these like shano mostly football illiterate, it’s ok to grumble..lol.. nobody cares! (Sm6)

Shane (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 15:04
Quote:
Gooner Sod

We can justify it because Arsenal is a top-six, top-seven club. I'm not talking the Premier League here - I'm talking the world. We support a colossus of a football club when you consider our revenue, our value, our fanbase, our stadium and our honours. Huge.

We knew this when Wenger was here, hence why we weren't content with what he was delivering, so why would we suddenly forget it and give Emery more time than he'd get at United, Barcleona, Real or Bayern Munich?

He gets one season in my view. If by May there's very promising signs then keep him on, let him continue building. If we're clearly going nowhere under him by May then we must sever ties and start over because that's what our rivals - our real rivals - would do. That's what massive clubs do and Arsenal, despite not winning the title for 14 years, and despite finishing fifth and sixth during the last two years, are a massive, massive club.

Kalela (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 16:42
I am sold on Emery. It is early but I already like a lot about what he is doing.

We don't have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap - Arsene Wenger

SandyB (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 18:39
Quote:
Kalela
I am sold on Emery. It is early but I already like a lot about what he is doing.
(Sm53)
Yeah n specially when we see AKBs playing false no 9 before are back in numbers out of their cocoons after 20 years to have a go against him makes things more interesting to back him up. He’s doing good job, he’s fixing stuff.

Flava (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 19:34
Quote:
younghansolo
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Quote:
Shane

I think it's entirely fair to judge a new manager if he's clearly doing the same things that annoyed the fans about the last manager.

What same things is he doing? He's got the defence and goalkeeper trying to play out from the back, that in itself is exciting. Watching Cech try to play out from the back gets my pulse up. Surely it's only a matter of time until we see Leno in the side.

Did you notice the amount of times we stopped breakaways at the weekend with routine fouling? Bellerin, Sokratis and Xhaka all stopped the breakaway early and not letting the player run 50 yards with the ball in open space.

He's making early substitutions if things aren't going well.

Guadiola had a shocking first season, his second was a fair bit better. Emery is working with inferior players to Pep but let's see what he can do.

And by the way, Emery's team is two points better off than Wenger's were against the same opposition last season.

Shane (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 19:59
We didn't play Cardiff last season. Stop getting stats from Sandy mate.

Flava (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 20:39
The team who cane second the year before was Brighton. It’s next level thinking, do not try it

Shane (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 21:59
If the next level was Forrest Gump. That doesn't qualify as the same opposition.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 14:12
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
younghansolo
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Quote:
Shane

What same things is he doing? He's got the defence and goalkeeper trying to play out from the back, that in itself is exciting. Watching Cech try to play out from the back gets my pulse up. Surely it's only a matter of time until we see Leno in the side.

Did you notice the amount of times we stopped breakaways at the weekend with routine fouling? Bellerin, Sokratis and Xhaka all stopped the breakaway early and not letting the player run 50 yards with the ball in open space.

He's making early substitutions if things aren't going well.

Guadiola had a shocking first season, his second was a fair bit better. Emery is working with inferior players to Pep but let's see what he can do.

And by the way, Emery's team is two points better off than Wenger's were against the same opposition last season.

Things I feel are very Wengerish:

1. Persisting with out of form/incompatible players. You said just the other week you expected Xhaka to be dropped. Another week later he's played another (dreadful) 90mins
2. He's brought in new players (or did he?) and continues to leave them on the sidelines while their counterparts falter (such as Bellerin).
3. He's trying to enforce systems on players who can't play that way. (Tech being an example.)
4. Despite it being obvious we should have two attackers on the field he decides not to play both. This is such a Wenger thing to do.
5. Ozil is still lazy, and uninterested.
6. We still don't seem to know how teams play. The West Ham goal was identical to the goal they scored the weekend before yet we didn't;t bother to pick them up.
7. We are playing with two defensive minded midfielders.
8. Despite playing with two defensive midfielders we leave so much space behind us and that's why teams are countering us.
9. We still have no plan B. Pass, pass, pass pass, pass, give the ball away.

For me, there's been some changes like you mentioned. But they're so small. I wanted a true revolution. This is a lot of the same so far.

SandyB (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 14:34
Change doesn't come in 4 games. Fixing things n changing attitude comes first before the real change. The work just started after a long time.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 18:06
Quote:
SandyB
Change doesn't come in 4 games. Fixing things n changing attitude comes first before the real change. The work just started after a long time.

He could have dropped broker n for the defender he signed before the first game. He could have dropped xhaka after any of his four rubbish performances.
Dorm change is quick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net