football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

 

Do you realise?
Shane (IP Logged)
27 August, 2018 21:58
When Koscielny comes back, we could very well have the exact same first-choice back five that we've had for the past two seasons? Maybe Emery drops Mustafi instead of Sokratis, or maybe he keeps Koscielny on the bench, but the fact that it's very possible is a damning indictment as it is.

I don't think this is Emery's fault, by the way. I'm not sure the bloke has much control over transfers, which is why we most definitely should question our Head of Recruitment and our Head of Negotiations.

Incidentally, do we also realise that neither of these lads are 'new'? I find myself referring to them as 'the new regime' quite often, but Huss Fahmy has been at Arsenal for 15 months - longer than Lacazette, who I don't think anyone considers a 'new signing' any longer - and Mislintat has been here since last November. What have they been doing since January 31, when the winter transfer window closed?

I appreciate that they only had £60 or £70 million to spend, but isn't that even more of a reason to spend extremely wisely? Why spend a fifth of your entire budget on just one defender? I suspect they're probably building for the future. I suspect they've got a two or three-year plan to break the top four, but we could've got top four this season if the £58 million spent on Leno, Torreira and Guendouzi was put forward a £29 million right-back and a £29 million centre-back. We really could've.

Going by goals, Wenger left behind the third-best attack in the Premier League and the eighth-worst defence. That tells me that had a little more money been invested in trying to restore some balance then top four would've been very achieveable.

 
Re: Do you realise?
SandyB (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 00:08
Stop creaming about Wenger mate, let the man enjoy his retirement. Both Torreira and Guendouzi was excellent signings. On hindsight Lucas Moura was desperate to come to Arsenal last season n as usual Wenger just gave it a pass n he chose spuds without having any hope of starting for them now started tearing teams apart. I can’t describe how big an idiot Wenger was.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/08/2018 00:12 by SandyB.

 
Re: Do you realise?
Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 13:53
Quote:
SandyB
Stop creaming about Wenger mate, let the man enjoy his retirement. Both Torreira and Guendouzi was excellent signings. On hindsight Lucas Moura was desperate to come to Arsenal last season n as usual Wenger just gave it a pass n he chose spuds without having any hope of starting for them now started tearing teams apart. I can’t describe how big an idiot Wenger was.

I was desparate for us to sign Moura before anyone had heard of him!!

 
Re: Do you realise?
SuperRob (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 14:42
I don't think a top four finish is out of the question this season. It will be close between us, spurs, Chelsea and utd. It would be a surprise if we get there, but I wouldn't write us off after 3 games.

My view is that our defenders are better than they have been made to look because of the system they are playing in. Mustafi and bellerin could actually be decent players in the right system with the right coaching.

The defenders struggle because we don't have a gilberto / song / flamini type player to protect them and to cover for the full backs when they push forward. This is why torriera is such an important player and he needs to get into the starting line up as soon as possible.

 
Re: Do you realise?
Shane (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 17:01
I'm not ruling out top four either. I just think we'd be far better equipped to get it if we addressed the reason why we didn't finish there last season - defence.

Under Wenger last season, we had an excellent attack and a dreadful defence, but let's flip it. Pretend we had an excellent defence but a terrible attack: would it make sense then if the only attacking players we signed were a 30-year-old Greece international and a 35-year-old free agent? Of course not, but that's effectively what we did in defence by getting Sokratis and Lichesteiner.

It looks to me like the transfer lads wrote this season off for the purpose of laying foundations for next season, which is really quite negligible because what they want to achieve next season - Champions League qualification - was there this season. Maybe it still is but things'd be going a lot smoother if the planning was better.

 
Re: Do you realise?
MattySadler (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 18:33
The worrying thing is the number of defenders we've signed over say, the last four or five years, and it is still such a problem area.

 
Re: Do you realise?
SandyB (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 18:41
Lichtsteiner was good signing n going to come very handy this season.

 
Re: Do you realise?
tigerline (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 19:23
Quote:
SuperRob
I don't think a top four finish is out of the question this season. It will be close between us, spurs, Chelsea and utd. It would be a surprise if we get there, but I wouldn't write us off after 3 games.
My view is that our defenders are better than they have been made to look because of the system they are playing in. Mustafi and bellerin could actually be decent players in the right system with the right coaching.

The defenders struggle because we don't have a gilberto / song / flamini type player to protect them and to cover for the full backs when they push forward. This is why torriera is such an important player and he needs to get into the starting line up as soon as possible.

Amen, Rob.
What do you think is the holdup for Torreira?
Could it be that he has not learned enough of the language to communicate effectively?

 
Re: Do you realise?
SuperRob (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 20:09
First reason is probably fitness because he had a shorter pre-season.

But my other guess is that he doesn't want to play 2 young players who are new to English football in centre midfield at the same time. And Guendouzi played so well in pre-season that he had no choice but to start him.

 
Re: Do you realise?
Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 22:55
Quote:
MattySadler
The worrying thing is the number of defenders we've signed over say, the last four or five years, and it is still such a problem area.

Agree.
More worrying is we have paid for poor defenders.
Paying for 2 top class defenders may well have been the cheaper option.



http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?