football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. West Ham
MattySadler (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 17:16
Cech - 6. Slow getting down to Arnautovic's shot but otherwise had a good game.

Bellerin - 6. Bombed forward at every opportunity offering a constant outlet down the right, getting two good assists, but often struggled defensively, particularly in the first half.
Mustafi - 5. Some good moments defensively but looked weak on the counter and was poor on Arnautovic's goal.
Sokratis - 5. Ditto. Made a good block on Anderson.
Monreal - 6. Scored but wasn't great defensively. Beaten by Snodgrass too often.

Ramsey - 6. Put himself about but was poor early on, with some particularly sloppy passes. Improved towards the end, but I'm not seeing £200k p/w worth of player at the moment.
Xhaka - 6. Often exposed and struggled with West Ham's counters. Better after Torreira's introduction.
Guendouzi - 5. Some good passes, some not so good. Looked a little lost at times.

Mkhitaryan - 5. Played some good final third passes in the first half but was a real mixed bag otherwise.
Aubameyang - 5. No impact in the first half. Better when Lacazette came on.
Iwobi - 5. Energetic but ineffective. Shame he couldn't build on last week.

Subs:

Lacazette - 7. Thought he changed the game, personally. Offered much more of a presence upfront and made the own goal.
Torreira - 5. Okay but passing needs to improve.
Welbeck - 6. Offered legs late on and sealed the win.

Not a great performance by any means but I put 3-1 Arsenal on my Super 6 prediction so I'm happy. I thought Lacazette changed the game.

A word on Bellerin today, a player I've been very critical of. In truth, we do ask a lot of him, basically cover the entire right side while Mkhitaryan offers little in the way of help. He struggled defensively quite a bit in the first half today but comes away with two quality assists.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 23:48 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. West Ham
MattySadler (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 17:30
Wenger's average first substitution time was the 71st minute. So far Emery's is the 56th minute.

Thought his early substitutions were what made the difference today.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 19:01
Torreira gives us a calmness and composure in midfield that Xhaka, Ramsey and Guendouzi can't. He needs to play. I get that he and Guendouzi are new to the team and are young so it might not be the best idea to play them together, but if I had to choose 1 of these two to play with Xhaka or Ramsey, then it would be Torreira. He gives our midfield much more balance.

Our full backs were the biggest problem today, it's one thing to press aggressively, but they often pressed at the most inappropriate times which left huge gaps in behind and made us easy to counter attack. For all the talk about playing it out from the back, people seemed to have missed the fact that we haven't conceded a goal from passing it out the back, yet we've conceded several goals from counter attacks where players have decided to dive in and press instead of backing off.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 00:05
Proved Ramsey is no "No. 10" and neither is he a No. 8 like Paul Scholes or Steve Gerard.

Mkhi is a no. 10 and without mobility from Forward-3, he has no target nor telegraphic understanding developed with them.

Emery needed to settle his Forward-3 quickly to develop team understanding.

One glaring defect compared to Man City, ManU and Liverpool.

We do not have the light of a dribbler like Salah, Mane, Sane, Sterling, Mahrez, Rushford, Martial, Alexis in the team.
This is a highest priority now.

As they said why Ferguson Fledglings was so dominant is because it is a balanced team with:
1 - A dribbler in Ryan Giggs
2 - A crosser in David Beckham.
3 - A playmaker in Paul Scholes.

We did not have even one of them in Emery's Team and he needed to develop his youngsters and/or buy a dribbler, a crosser and a No.8.

We have No. 10 in Ozil and Mkhi, and a disappointing Ramsey and Xhaka who both failed as No. 8.

'In the end the most satisfying solution is the one where you have cleared everything away and there is no solution at all any more, at the same time, the problem has been solved. That's the nicest way of doing it.'
Brilliant Orange [2010]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net