football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

First win under Emery
SandyB (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 16:57
Team far from played well, scrappy win but it was entertaining game. Both team tried to win the game.

Re: First win under Emery
MattySadler (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 17:16
Too many individuals out of form. Made hard work of what should have been a fairly routine win.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 17:24
Porous defending. If Emery wants to use the backs to launch attacks, better to play with 3 at the back flanked by the 2 backs. Ramsey tried but he is better at receiving the ball at the end of his run than to try and find the pass, Ozil is the exact opposite. Aubameyang and Iwobi appeared not mentally ready for the game. Should forget about playing out from the back - we don't have the personnel and not enough time to try something that can lead to the opposition scoring against us.

SandyB (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 18:14
Need to take one game at a time to build the confidence n build the team back again. Tough job but that’s what they are paid for. Hoping for the best.

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 18:54
I can't stand the sight of Mustafi anymore. Isn't there a charitable buyer out there in Spain or in France willing to take him off our roster?

younghansolo (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 19:00
I don't think it was just the defence. I thought tactically we were incredibly naive. How many times did they break against us and should have scored. For me this is just Wenger light currently.

When we come against a really good countering team like Liverpool I could see us shipping five or six in a game.

Right now we are worse than we were last season tactically and organisationally. Emeri needs to seriously sort his @#$%& out

MattySadler (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 19:02
Quote:
younghansolo
I don't think it was just the defence. I thought tactically we were incredibly naive.

This is the reality of it all, today at least. Yes, our centre backs are slow and are not playing well, but our full backs were flying forward without a care in the world and until Torreira came on the defence wasn't being protected by the midfield.

Dare I say it, it was Wenger-ish.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 19:09
Quote:
younghansolo
I don't think it was just the defence. I thought tactically we were incredibly naive. How many times did they break against us and should have scored. For me this is just Wenger light currently.
When we come against a really good countering team like Liverpool I could see us shipping five or six in a game.

Right now we are worse than we were last season tactically and organisationally. Emeri needs to seriously sort his @#$%& out

We look similar to how Man City looked when Pep first arrived or like Liverpool did in Klopp's first season. The team has been in their comfort zone, doing the same things year after year under Wenger, and now they're being asked to do things differently. Some of them won't be able to and they will get slowly phased out and new players who fit the new style will gradually be introduced.

And most of these players look like they lack confidence. None are in form. It's going to take 12 - 18 months to get to the level we want to be at assuming Emery manages to keep improving us. If he doesn't, then he'll be sacked and a new manager will take 12 - 18 months.

Aren't Man City a good counter attacking team?

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 20:56
Quote:
younghansolo

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

De Times (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 22:13
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
younghansolo
I don't think it was just the defence. I thought tactically we were incredibly naive.

This is the reality of it all, today at least. Yes, our centre backs are slow and are not playing well, but our full backs were flying forward without a care in the world and until Torreira came on the defence wasn't being protected by the midfield.

Just shut up, what do you call Wengerish? Wenger is a living legend who has done his time and gone. Emery or whatever his fecking name is need to put his act together because currently he doesn't seem to know what he's doing. If the two Wingers are flying it is because the coach wants them to do so. the coach is playing three at the back, with one of the central midfielders acting as the third centreback. That's what the coach is playing, it has nothing to do with Wenger. One would expect the team to be reasonably better than last season after all the additions in the transfer window but sadly they're a lot worse with the uninspiring and boring performance they're putting on every single weekend.

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 22:19
Quote:
De Times
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
younghansolo

Just shut up, what do you call Wengerish? Wenger is a living legend who has done his time and gone. Emery or whatever his fecking name is need to put his act together because currently he doesn't seem to know what he's doing. If the two Wingers are flying it is because the coach wants them to do so. the coach is playing three at the back, with one of the central midfielders acting as the third centreback. That's what the coach is playing, it has nothing to do with Wenger. One would expect the team to be reasonably better than last season after all the additions in the transfer window but sadly they're a lot worse with the uninspiring and boring performance they're putting on every single weekend.

You need to chill the f out. The basis of your point (apart from your pseudo-homoerotic fixation with Wenger) is agreed by all who have posted here.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 23:08
Good analysis of our defensive frailties on motd. Good that Emery said several times in the post match press conference that the balance between attack and defence needs to be worked on especially with the fullbacks.

Also we can't play guendouzi and xhaka in midfield. Both are poor defensively and West ham walked through the midfield too easily too many times and I would have liked to see more effort from both of them for the west ham goal. Even when xhaka is in the right position, he doesn't do anything to pressure the attacker and then he gets impatient and dives in. Torriera has to start. Ramsey has to play deeper.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 23:54
In other words, playing a high tempo high line without intensive and instant pressing once ball is lost is suicidal football.

Just watch how Wolves players are committed and pressed as a team against Man City to stop their passing game even at one time, Man city has 92% passing accuracy.

'In the end the most satisfying solution is the one where you have cleared everything away and there is no solution at all any more, at the same time, the problem has been solved. That's the nicest way of doing it.'
Brilliant Orange [2010]

SandyB (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 05:02
Quote:
De Times
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
younghansolo

How d post Wenger life mate! (Sm100)
Show some respect mate Emery is your manager now n he just won his first game. Wenger is history now he has no takers as we all knew for a very long time the scamster is enjoying his life in exotic places with all the £ he earned from arsenal n probably hoping n waiting for a kroenke call for a board room position once Gazidis leaves the club. Arsenal will be just fine with Emery n do better than the mess Wenger left the club with so seat back relax n support the team.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 08:13
Quote:
De Times
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
younghansolo

I call it Wenger-ish because it was fairly reckless attacking football that left us exposed to the counter attack, which was often the case under Wenger or whatever his fecking name was.

The "two Wingers" were not flying, because we aren't exactly playing with "wingers", are we? It was the full backs, who were flying, and this was a big part of the problem in the first half yesterday. Again, not too dissimilar as when Wenger or whatever his fecking name was, was in charge.

I recall a match against Chelsea a few years ago, think we lost 2-1, where in the opening five minutes Sagna was caught far too high up the pitch and Mata got in and scored.

If you want to play with such attacking full backs you need to compensate with mobile centre backs and a mobile defensive midfielder, who are able to get across the pitch and cover. West Ham's goal yesterday came when we were caught on the counter and we had Xhaka, Mustafi and Sokratis, none of whom are particularly mobile, trying to cover, and they all did a@#$%&job of it.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 09:06
Also no three at the back.
However I dont think any of the matches have been boring the last two games have been crackers even if they are tough on the old ticker

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Flava (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 10:19
Quote:
De Times
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
younghansolo

Emery is being quite Wrngerish, losing to City sad Chelsea and besating the mediocre teams. Only difference is Emery has inherited an unbalanced mediocre squad that Wenger left behind. It’ll take him 2 years not 3 f.ucking games to put this mess right.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 17:12
Of course it will. But the worrying signs are that he is making the same mistakes. Setting the team up to attack and leave space behind without consideration nfir what to do it the counter. Picking strange teams. Playing it from mthe back when teams know they can press us. Its hard not to notice the similarities tbh.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net