football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Youth comings/ goings
MattySadler (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 17:05
Barcelona's 16 year old left back Joel Lopez has signed scholarship terms with us, following summer youth signings 16 year old Estonian goalkeeper Karl Jakob Hein and 16 year old English striker/ second striker Sam Greenwood. Hein and Greenwood have already featured for our youth sides.

Previous signings from Barca youth include Cesc Fabregas, Fran Merida, Ignasi Miquel, Jon Toral and, of course, Hector Bellerin.

A worrying current trend is the number of youngsters who are choosing to leave, perhaps not seeing a clear path to the senior squad. Recent departures include Chris Willock, Kaylen Hinds, Ismael Bennacer, Marcus McGuane and Joao Virginia (which disappointed me a lot).

Stephy Mavididi, a favourite of mine, has left for Juventus. He struggled with injury but impressed for our U23s and across two loan spells to Charlton. Apparently Juventus had been watching him for three years. He always really impressed me when I saw him play. I viewed him as a similar player to Welbeck (fast/ powerful forward/ wide forward) but with a higher ceiling, although Nketiah was rightly ahead of him in the pecking order.

After months of uncertainty Josh Dasilva has left to join Championship side Brentford. Although Joe Willock featured a lot more last season, personally I felt Dasilva was the more naturally talented of the two. He was very versatile and reminded me of a left footed Yaya Toure when he played in midfield.

Another recent youth departure, Donyell Malen, scored his first senior goal for PSV in the Champions League on Tuesday.

Re: Youth comings/ goings
Kalela (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 05:58
I was surprised the club let go of Donyell Malen to be honest. His ability to finish was top notch. He may never have reached his ceiling at Arsenal though so it was probably a good for him that he left. I was watching the U23 highlights the other days and was surprised by how strong and fast Bukayo Saka is. the kid is still very young but I can see being moved up soon if he stays healthy and continues to improve.

We don't have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap - Arsene Wenger

MattySadler (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 06:50
Quote:
Kalela
I was surprised the club let go of Donyell Malen to be honest. His ability to finish was top notch. He may never have reached his ceiling at Arsenal though so it was probably a good for him that he left. I was watching the U23 highlights the other days and was surprised by how strong and fast Bukayo Saka is. the kid is still very young but I can see being moved up soon if he stays healthy and continues to improve.

Agreed, Saka's assist for Nelson's goal on Monday evening was very good.

The one good thing about playing in the Europa League is that we're able to give a number of our youngsters a chance. Despite only being 19, 18 and 18 respectively, Nketiah, Nelson and Smith-Rowe are all already far too good for U23 football.

Kalela (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 13:24
According to Goal.com, it looks like Reiss Nelson is set to join Hoffenheim. The youngsters are not seeing a future here as many of the better ones have been leaving in the last few years. Saw Jeff Reine-Adélaïde the other day against PSG and he was, surprisingly, deployed as a striker and almost had a goal.

We don't have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap - Arsene Wenger

younghansolo (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 14:04
Absolute disgrace if we let Nelson go but keep some of the absolute rubbish we still have

MattySadler (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 14:21
Personally I don't think Nelson has ever really performed for our first team, though admittedly he played out of position last season. For our U23s, however, he has been unbelievable for a few years now.

Losing him would be a massive blow but I can't blame him, there isn't a clear path to our first team and his best mate Jadon Sancho is doing well for Dortmund.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
30 August, 2018 22:59
Understand nelson is set to sign a new contract before allowing to go on a season lone loan?
Yes, I am not convinced by him too.

litmus (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 11:19
There are so many players who are way ahead of other players in their age groups when they were young. Now you got Nelson, Willock, Rowe, but the challenge is making the step up. You cannot have the "I am a young player" mentality forever. Its the "Doogie Howser" enigma - Sure he is a prodigy, a full doctor at 14, which is all great but when he turned 18 he became just another young doctor and any special consideration for him is gone.

Maybe some of them are contented to be top players at u-18 , U-23 level, but don't realise that to succeed and be given playing time you must be better than ALL other players in their club.

Lupoli, Pennant, Bentley, Stokes and Bendtner were prime examples of this. Now Bendther did achieve some degree of playing at the top level and always did exceptionally well for Denmark in international games (wonder why) but Lupoli and a lot others didn't have a long term career at senior level.

Adelaide and Willock are in this group (and therefore adjudged too good for the U-23s but in the senior games, you need to do what the Cesc, Rooneys, Owens, Gerrards were doing at 16-17 which is BE one of the best players in the team game in and game out - influence games, and NOT just "show a glimpse of youthful vigour and promises".

Willock, Jeff and Nelson are now older than Cesc and Rooney when they were 16, 17 but have they really impacted the team as they (Cesc) had? So if they ended being sold, its because they rightfully were not good enough. What I am saying that we need to see them for how good they are when they play in the senior team and not assign them handicap points for being young when we judge them in a game. Over the years, I have always noticed lavish praises heaped on some young players even when they did f**kall in a game. I agree with Matty in saying that Nelson havent really performed at any time for the senior team (and I think he had been given a fair amount of chances to prove himself.

tigerline (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 14:24
Nelson has indeed signed a new contract with us and has gone out on a season-long loan to Hoffenheim.

tigerline (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 14:26
Quote:
MattySadler
After months of uncertainty Josh Dasilva has left to join Championship side Brentford. Although Joe Willock featured a lot more last season, personally I felt Dasilva was the more naturally talented of the two. He was very versatile and reminded me of a left footed Yaya Toure when he played in midfield.

Looks like we can consider his loss up close when we face Brentford in the Carabao Cup.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 14:34
Zelalem?
Plueguezuelo?
Joe Willock?

They seem to be stuck with "vast potnetila" and can't get into senior squad.

Smith-Rowe?
Nketiah?
This season is make or break for them to show what they do in senior team.

Maitland-Niles?
Still stuck in the "vast potential" mode with Guedouzi raced well ahead of him now.
Guess he will move on next summer if he still fails to nail down a regular place.

Cohen Bramall?

Doubt he will make it as, like Jenkinson, he seems to be a limited player who cna't play the high-tempo passing game where spatial awareness is needed.

ANymore youngster(s) that will make a breakthrough this season?
Or Emery and Mislintat are now scouting and buying more youngsters to replace those overhyped Wenger Wunderkind?

'Most owners take out of the club and Vichai just put in. Without him, we would not have won the Premier League. It was a once-in-a-lifetime thing.' Danny Barry, a Leicester City fan for 64 years.

tigerline (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 15:31
Today, Emery nixed a proposed loan move for Smith-Rowe - indicating that he will be getting some first-team action at least in Cup play.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 18:10
Quote:
tigerline
Today, Emery nixed a proposed loan move for Smith-Rowe - indicating that he will be getting some first-team action at least in Cup play.

And rightly so. Deserves to be involved in the League Cup/ Europa League squad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net