football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Unai Emery will need 3 seasons to get rid of the debris that Arsene Wenger left behind
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 15:28
Alan Shearer said Unai Emery will need at least a year and a half to rebuild and get rid of Wenger Legacy.

I said he will need at least 2 to 3 seasons to get the house in order to get rid of those love children that Wenger left behind.

Ozil is an enigma.
If he can replicate his 2011/12 Jose Mourinho's form, he is then worth keeping.
But to thrive, Ozil needs protection like Alonso-Khedira working behind him.
Perhaps Guedouzi-Torreia is the answer.

Upfront, Ozil has Ronaldo-Benzema-Di Maria as target and intelligent players who anticipated passes from Ozil and knew how to move into passing channels.
Ozil needs one more season playing with Auba-Laca-Mkhi to develop that telegraphic understanding.

But the problem is that Mkhi played as No. 10 at Dortsmund with AUba at the right wing and Lewdoski as CF. Plus there is also Gotze in support. ANd there is Klopp to coach them.

3 into 1 will not go if you factor in Ramsey as No. 10 as well.

It is major headache for Unai Emery and he will have to make a decision by 2019 as to who he wanted to keep and who to cut off.

Ramsey's greedy agent had already decided to bend Arsenal over the barrel and most likely threaten to have a massive signing-on bonus or else.
Unai emery should just cut his losses and either sell Ramsey to an European club by 31-Aug or sell him at a loss during January 2019.
I do not see a future at Arsenal for Ramsey. he simply does not have the football brain nor that tactical awareness of Fabregas to play No. 10 for Arsenal.

Ozil?
A major candidate to leave next year if Emery started to play Mkhi as the No. 10 and drop Ozil to the bench.

Xhaka?
I gave up on him.
He is just not disciplined enough to play the high pressing game. Plus he is slooow and posiitonal poor.

Bellerin?
Another one of Wenegr's love child that had reached hsi limitaiton of devleopment and simply does not know how to defence and more of an attacking wingback rather than a full back. Has he got a future here or Mislintat decided to cahs ina nd sells him to Barca if Barca comes in with a serious bid?
Do you know that barca has never bid for Bellerin yet?

Uani Emery is rebuilding with youngsters and whatever so-called Diamond Eye can buy for him.

An evolution of Uani Emery team for next season could be:

...........................…....... Leno

...Lichsteiner ... Sokratis .... Mavropanos ... Jordi Tutu-Usai or new LB

.........……....Torreia .........…..Guedouzi

...Aubameyang...........Mkhitaryan............Iwobi

...............……….......Lacazette

Hopefully against WHU, we will see Auba-Laca-Mkhi attacking trio with Ozil taking a rest.
Otherwise with both Mkhi and Ozil, the team is unbalanced defensively.

we can afford to have one No. 10 doing the wanderlust, but certainly not two with Ozil having 29 touches against Chelski.

'In the end the most satisfying solution is the one where you have cleared everything away and there is no solution at all any more, at the same time, the problem has been solved. That's the nicest way of doing it.'
Brilliant Orange [2010]

Re: Unai Emery will need 3 seasons to get rid of the debris that Arsene Wenger left behind
Padre Pio (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 18:56
And to get rid of the lazy good for nothing ethos that has developed amongst some

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Re: Unai Emery will need 3 seasons to get rid of the debris that Arsene Wenger left behind
tigerline (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 19:53
Team for next week:

......................... Leno

...Lichsteiner ... Holding .... Sokratis ... Monreal

.........……....Torreia ........…..Guedouzi

...Aubameyang.......... Ramsey .............Iwobi

...............……….....Lacazette

Let's see what happens when we sit Cech, Mustafi, Bellerin, Xhaka, Ozil, and Mkhitaryan.

Torreira and Guendouzi are the future AND never put off until later what should be done now.

Lichsteiner acts as a coach on the pitch and he will give Holding a solid pro next to him to whip him into shape defensively.

Just a hunch, but Iwobi looks like he is on the cusp of a breakout season. Play him.

Although Ramsey is more the more dynamic option, I could see Mkhitaryan in place of Ramsey if management becomes convinced that he is running down his contract. i.e., Ramsey is only playing for himself and not for the Team.

Shane (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 07:39
Is it Wenger's fault that Xhaka was given a five-year extension before he had even kicked a ball under Unai Emery?

Is it Wenger's fault that a 35-year-old right-back was signed to cover Bellerin instead of a 25-year-old right-back to displace him?

Is it Wenger's fault that Arsenal - a club that made £420 million last year and finished higher than Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea in the Money League - only spent £60 million this summer?

Blame Wenger for leaving behind some poor players. Don't blame him if four months later they're still costing Arsenal points.

There is such a thing as accountability and if we refuse to question decisions made by the new regime, for the sake of scapegoating a familiar enemy, then the people who replaced him are going to enjoy greater job security at Arsenal than Wenger ever had because nothing will be their fault. It's a dangerous road to go down.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 09:19
I agree with your sentiment the window was uninspiring and the accountability now switches to the owners,CEO AND the recruitment team.

A shadow of what we were

Ares (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 10:30
Leno

Jenkinson Holding Sokratis Monreal

Torreira Lichsteiner Guendozi

Iwobi Wellbeck Aubameyang

younghansolo (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 10:42
Quote:
Shane
Is it Wenger's fault that Xhaka was given a five-year extension before he had even kicked a ball under Unai Emery?
Is it Wenger's fault that a 35-year-old right-back was signed to cover Bellerin instead of a 25-year-old right-back to displace him?

Is it Wenger's fault that Arsenal - a club that made £420 million last year and finished higher than Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea in the Money League - only spent £60 million this summer?

Blame Wenger for leaving behind some poor players. Don't blame him if four months later they're still costing Arsenal points.

There is such a thing as accountability and if we refuse to question decisions made by the new regime, for the sake of scapegoating a familiar enemy, then the people who replaced him are going to enjoy greater job security at Arsenal than Wenger ever had because nothing will be their fault. It's a dangerous road to go down.

100% this!

I for one am not prepared to overlook obvious failings by the manager and leadership structure after having an entire pre-season to prepare. I'm not going to hang them out to dry yet but I won't ignore their obvious mistakes either. Wenger left many things that needed addressing but the problem is, I'm not sure any of them have been addressed yet.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 10:56
Quote:
Shane

I know what you're saying but I think it's fair at the moment to give the current regime a pass. It's been two games against two of the best teams in England. Its simply not possible to change as entire squad of underperforming players in 1 transfer window, especially when none of them have any resale value. If we're still not performing in the next couple of months, the the fans patience will run out and if the next couple of transfer windows are not working as the club want, then there will be changes.

Keeping all players on long contracts is just sensible business even if you intend to sell them. I think you'll find that 60m net spend is actually quite a lot. Most of the big clubs are only able to spend 100s of millions because they sell players for 100s of millions. If we don't have any players on long contracts, then we will struggle to make any decent money for them, like alexis, rvp, cesc, Ramsey, wilshere, Walcott. A lot of those players, if they had been sold 1 year earlier would have brought in double the amount they did.

Goofle (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 13:10
Surely Emery is just seen as a transitional manager. One or two seasons maximum hopefully.

Shane (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 14:22
Quote:
SuperRob
I know what you're saying but I think it's fair at the moment to give the current regime a pass. It's been two games against two of the best teams in England. Its simply not possible to change as entire squad of underperforming players in 1 transfer window, especially when none of them have any resale value. If we're still not performing in the next couple of months, the the fans patience will run out and if the next couple of transfer windows are not working as the club want, then there will be changes.
Keeping all players on long contracts is just sensible business even if you intend to sell them. I think you'll find that 60m net spend is actually quite a lot. Most of the big clubs are only able to spend 100s of millions because they sell players for 100s of millions. If we don't have any players on long contracts, then we will struggle to make any decent money for them, like alexis, rvp, cesc, Ramsey, wilshere, Walcott. A lot of those players, if they had been sold 1 year earlier would have brought in double the amount they did.

We didn't need an entirely new squad. The team Wenger left behind scored more goals in all competitions last season than everyone except Liverpool and City. Statistically he left behind a better attacking team than Tottenham, Manchester United and Chelsea. He also left behind a striker who scored more goals than Harry Kane since arriving in the Premier League.

I mean, as much as we like to think that Wenger left behind a team that was rotten from top to bottom, it wasn't and the evidence is right there.

We all agreed that overhauling the defence was far and away the biggest priority but has that been achieved? Clearly not, considering Bellerin and Mustafi - our worst defenders last season - are going to wind up playing over 30 Premier League games for us this season. But it's not Wenger's fault if the defence gets no better. It's just not. It's not Wenger's fault that we spent a third of our budget on a goalkeeper who isn't deemed better than the one we already had. Could the £22 million on Leno have been spent on another centre-back to bench Mustafi, or a better right-back than Bellerin?

Who knows, but I think it's important to actually question what the new regime do instead of giving them cart blanche. I'm not criticising them, but by the same token I'm not going to absolve them of any blame for anything that goes wrong at Arsenal this season.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 14:48
Arsene who?
He is gone and that's it.

Most interesting to see how Unai Emery integrates new with the old, maintain continuity with a seamless transition to achieve competitiveness;

and yet able to identify which marquee players to drop and which players to move on in January or August 2019 to rebuild the team he wanted to play to HIS tactics.

Look at the youngsters he had at his disposal to develop witinh 3 seasons:
1 - Guedouzi
2 - Torreira
3 - Mavropanos
4 - Reiss Nelson
5 - Rowe-Smith
6 - Maitland-Niles
7 - Nketiah
8 - Joel Lopez from Barca?
9 - Alex Iwobi
10- Bellerin

How many of them will be promoted to senior team as regular within 3 seasons?

Not forgetting that he has at least 4 to 5 transfe windows to get his acts or else.

He needed 3 seasons to do that.
Moyes flopped at ManU.
Liverpool struggling for decades after the Bootromm Boys.

How long Klopp is at Liveprool?
Entering his 3rd season?

Do Arsenal fans have that kind of patience to let Emery sees thru' his 3rd season with us?

Either Emery gets it right as he had done at Selville with a tight budget, playing Champion League Football as Top-4 ... or we are jsut as good as Everton and Newcastle fighting for 5th or 6th spot.

Now you understand why Silent Stan loves Wenger so much … 18 consecutive years in European Champion league on a shoestring budget.
Ironically, when Wenger has the money to spend in 2013 to buy Ozil, he struggled to retain Top-4 status.

Face the fact.
Silent Stan will not open his wallet for Emery to spend.
And also, the Bald One is one smart cookie to jump a sinking ship now.

Silent Stan needed to leverage on Arsenal Holdings to payoff his US$3-billion Inglewood project, planned to open in 2019/20 NFL Season?
And why he needed to take this cash cow private with nobody to scrutinize his accounts.

'In the end the most satisfying solution is the one where you have cleared everything away and there is no solution at all any more, at the same time, the problem has been solved. That's the nicest way of doing it.'
Brilliant Orange [2010]

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 22:29
Quote:
Goofle
Surely Emery is just seen as a transitional manager. One or two seasons maximum hopefully.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

SandyB (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 23:56
Quote:
Bergmars
I agree with your sentiment the window was uninspiring and the accountability now switches to the owners,CEO AND the recruitment team.
All reports suggest CEO is jumping ship to Milan very soon, he knows Kroenke isn’t gonna spend anything in next few years might be planning to take all the money out.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
22 August, 2018 03:18
The Bald One is ambitious, must be raging silently after being effectively emasculated by Arsene Wenger with Silent Stan even bypassing him after Wenger appealed directly to Silent Stan to get his last extension over Gazidis' objection.

It is a good chance for him to show his fingers and moon Silent Stan. (Sm49)

hippogunner (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 08:32
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
SuperRob

We didn't need an entirely new squad. The team Wenger left behind scored more goals in all competitions last season than everyone except Liverpool and City. Statistically he left behind a better attacking team than Tottenham, Manchester United and Chelsea. He also left behind a striker who scored more goals than Harry Kane since arriving in the Premier League.

I mean, as much as we like to think that Wenger left behind a team that was rotten from top to bottom, it wasn't and the evidence is right there.

We all agreed that overhauling the defence was far and away the biggest priority but has that been achieved? Clearly not, considering Bellerin and Mustafi - our worst defenders last season - are going to wind up playing over 30 Premier League games for us this season. But it's not Wenger's fault if the defence gets no better. It's just not. It's not Wenger's fault that we spent a third of our budget on a goalkeeper who isn't deemed better than the one we already had. Could the £22 million on Leno have been spent on another centre-back to bench Mustafi, or a better right-back than Bellerin?

Who knows, but I think it's important to actually question what the new regime do instead of giving them cart blanche. I'm not criticising them, but by the same token I'm not going to absolve them of any blame for anything that goes wrong at Arsenal this season.

Exactly. I do find the rather indifferent approach to our terrible defence a strange one. Lichsteiner too seems pointless. As you said why not sign someone ten years younger of equal standard, the money's there, we can't be fobbed off with this nonsense that we're poverty-stricken.

Shane (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 10:40
Let's be honest, if Wenger was still here and our defence for the first game of the season was Bellerin, Mustafi, Sokratis and a winger playing at left-back then we'd have destroyed him.

We needn't criticise the new lads as much, because they don't have a long history of transfer market f*ck-ups like Wenger and therefore the anger isn't going to be the same, but we can't excuse it and make Wenger the patsy regardless.

I do like the look of Torreira, but was he the priority? Was Leno? That's £60 million right there. We'd be so much better off had we spent £60 million on a centre-back and a right-back. An Arsenal team with two new £30 million defenders, Cech and Wilshere is much stronger and a lot more balanced than an Arsenal team with Leno, Mustafi, Bellerin and Torreira.

I'm not saying Wilshere's better than Torreira but I do know that he'd be part of a better Arsenal team had we kept him and the spent Torreira money on Yerry Mina, who cost the same amount.

Finding a way to make things Wenger's fault is just lazy. He's directly responsible for a hell of a lot of bad at Arsenal, but we need to judge the new lads by the sum of their actions and everything they did during the summer was their work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/08/2018 10:41 by Shane.

Goofle (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 12:28
Torreira was definitely a priority, same with Leno. I've never seen a worse GK or DM at the club than Xhaka and Cech.

Shane (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 12:44
We conceded three less goals than two teams who were relegated last season Tom. Defence was the priority.

Torreira and Leno really won't make a huge difference if the four tw*ts in between both of them play like they did last season.

Willy (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 09:53
Individual mistakes are not the point though, the team was set up by Wenger in such a way that these mistakes were more costly and more likely. That's why defenders who performed OK in other teams came in and struggled.

I would give defenders who played under Wenger a free pass for a season to see how they can play under a manger who organises his team more pragmatically.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 00:24
© Reuters

By Barney Corkhill, Assistant Editor
Filed: Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 22:20 UK
Last Updated: Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 22:20 UK
Arsenal manager Unai Emery has insisted that reports suggesting he has fallen out with Mesut Ozil are not true.
The German playmaker was left out of Arsenal's matchday squad for the Premier League clash with West Ham United this afternoon, leading to reports that he had been involved in a training-ground dispute with Emery.
However, the official reason behind Ozil's absence was due to illness, and Emery insists that reports to the contrary have no truth to them whatsoever.
"Why is this information (out there). It isn't true. I don't know who is telling you this information," he told reporters at his post-match press conference.
"He sat down with me and we decided that he would not play. He left training because he was going to his home because he is sick.

"Today he was here, I told him to come in if he feels better and he feels better today and before the match he was with the team. He is bad with sickness. There is no problem with the player, speak with the doctor he can explain better."
Arsenal won their first game of the season in Ozil's absence, coming from behind to beat West Ham 3-1 at the Emirates Stadium.

[www.sportsmole.co.uk]

We will never know the full story.
But one thing is clear.
Unless Ozil buckles down to hard work and put in a shift, he will continue to unbalance the team with Emery's high-line and pressing style.
Under Emery, he is fast becoming a luxury player, contented with sitting out and earning 350,000pw sitting in Winston Bogarde Suite.

At the opposite end is an overhyped Ramsey, who proved conclusively that he is no No. 10.
Can't pass, can't create and just have a knack of arriving at the right spot in the box to latch onto a goal scoring chance … chance are he will sky it or mishit it nowadays.

AH yes, he is holding Arsenal at ransom and "will defer his contract negotiation till January".
Meaning … either Arsenal pays him a signing-on bonus or off he go.
Why not Ramsey?
Just go and play in your best posiiton; standing behind an ewe and create f**k-all scoring chance.

Brilliant Orange [2010]

SuperRob (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 13:48
As Alan shearer said, our weak cm and high full backs are making the centre backs look much worse. And Emery pretty much admitted as much in the press conference after the game and identified this as the main thing they need to work on.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 15:09
It's not rocket science is it just tell the players involved what's required.Full backs first job is defence if they go your DM or someone have to sit in it has not got any better or do we look any more organised as yet.Initial impressions are the recruitment has been strange at best and poor at worst.He will get time to sort it but his welcome could soon wear thin.

A shadow of what we were

SuperRob (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 16:41
Quote:
Bergmars
It's not rocket science is it just tell the players involved what's required.Full backs first job is defence if they go your DM or someone have to sit in it has not got any better or do we look any more organised as yet.Initial impressions are the recruitment has been strange at best and poor at worst.He will get time to sort it but his welcome could soon wear thin.

It would be great if it was as easy as that

Bergmars (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 23:17
It is organise the team to defend when not in possession that was Wenger big failing and nothing has changed.We have brought in five recruits of which it seems only two are deemed starters not really inspiring.It is a simple game if you organise properly of course it cannot be foolproof and there will always be things you cannot legislate for.At present we look much the same as ever it will take time I know but I did think we would be more organised and better set up.

A shadow of what we were

Bergmars (IP Logged)
27 August, 2018 21:34
I support Unai it could take 3 seasons to get sorted just a few observations is all .

A shadow of what we were

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 07:14
Of everything that has come from the fist few games this season, this is what has made me the most optimistic

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dl8MrK8U0AA3v32.jpg

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 21:39
Then, when the fitness of the team started to improve to the level expected by Emery, we will continue to see improvement in the team.

Brilliant Orange [2010]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net