football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Squad
MattySadler (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 06:40
This is assuming that Ospina does finally p*ff off to Turkey:

1 - Petr Cech
2 - Bern Leno
3 - Emi Martinez (HG)
4 - Hector Bellerin (HG)
5 - Stephan Lichtsteiner
6 - Carl Jenkinson (HG)
7 - Laurent Koscielny
8 - Sokratis
9 - Shkodran Mustafi
10 - Rob Holding (HG)
11 - Nacho Monreal
12 - Sead Kolasinac
13 - Aaron Ramsey (HG)
14 - Granit Xhaka
15 - Lucas Torreira
16 - Alex Iwobi (HG)
17 - Mohamed Elneny
18 - Mesut Ozil
19 - Henrikh Mkhitaryan
20 - Joel Campbell
21 - Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
22 - Alexandre Lacazette
23 - Danny Welbeck (HG)

Out on loan

1 - Matt Macey (GK)
2 - Calum Chambers (HG)
3 - Takuma Asano

"Over 21s" who'd need to be named in the squad to feature

1 - Dejan Iliev
2 - Cohen Bramall

U21s

1 - Jordi Osei-Tutu (HG)
2 - Konstantinos Mavropanos
3 - Krystian Bielik
4 - Ben Sheaf (HG)
5 - Julio Pleguezuelo*
6 - Matteo Guendouzi
7 - Ainsley Maitland-Niles (HG)
8 - Joe Willock (HG)
9 - Josh Dasilva (HG)**
10 - Emile Smith-Rowe (HG)
11 - Gedion Zelalem*
12 - Reiss Nelson (HG)
13 - Eddie Nketiah (HG)
14 - Stephy Mavididi(HG)

For European clubs the transfer window is open until 31 August so we could still see departures.

* I'm pretty sure to be classed as "U21" for this season you need to have been "born on or after 1 January 1997", and Pleguezuelo and Zelalem were both born on 26 January 1997.

** Josh Dasilva wasn't present in any of the U23/ youth team photos the other day and his contract situation wasn't certain, so there's a good chance he has left the club.

Re: Squad
Flava (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 06:55
Emery has a lot of work to do because that ain’t great

What was the reported figure for Lucas Perez?

MattySadler (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 06:56
Quote:
Flava
Emery has a lot of work to do because that ain’t great
What was the reported figure for Lucas Perez?

£4 million, which makes me wonder if it would've been more worthwhile keeping him for the season...

MattySadler (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 07:12
Ospina has agreed personal terms with Besiktas.

hippogunner (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 08:30
Very underwhelming. The league will be fascinating this year with Wolves West Ham, Fulham and Everton all spending freely and we are once again acting like paupers. Lichsteiner is bizarre. How many seasons will we get out of him? Why sign a 35 year old? Simply because he was free I suspect. Of course until we're a few games in we can't know what we're capable of and it's good that we're playing two top clubs early on. That should be illuminating.

Wenger left the club top heavy with a decent attack but a bang average defence and that seems to be only partially addressed. Doubt we'll creep into the top four.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 09:02
Shambles!

Goalkeepers, are all shite!

Defenders, apart from Sokratis and Monreal there's no one you can trust.

Midfield, No Cm playmaker. Our football is gonna be terrible.

Wingers, No pace on the flanks. I don't want to see our best striker playerd there.

This sqaud won't finish higher than 6th, anyone who thinks it will is clueless.

We've actted like a small club all summer and it's going to show through-out the season, It's @#$%& obvious!

SuperRob (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 10:24
I think we're in better shape than Utd, Chelsea and Spurs.

I expect us to lose against City first game. Hopefully get a draw against Chelsea. And then the real test is whether we can be consistent, especially away from home against the smaller teams. Changing our mentality against the smaller teams is the main thing I want to see improved this season. The reason we've signed Lichsteiner is for his leadership in training and in the dressing room. Same for Sokratis, at last a defender who likes defending and isn't afraid to clatter someone. Torreira is a fighter and Guendouzi seems to have a bit of a nasty streak in him as well. We've been crying out for some players who will show a bit of fight in tough games and I think that's what we've added this window.

I'm not concerned we haven't signed any creative players. The last 10 years, all we have signed are creative players and look how that's turned out.

Besides, I think this is a pretty exciting front 6

Torreira Ramsey

Mkhi Ozil Auba

Lacazette

That's like £200m worth of talent.

Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 10:34
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Shambles!
Goalkeepers, are all shite!

Defenders, apart from Sokratis and Monreal there's no one you can trust.

Midfield, No Cm playmaker. Our football is gonna be terrible.

Wingers, No pace on the flanks. I don't want to see our best striker playerd there.

This sqaud won't finish higher than 6th, anyone who thinks it will is clueless.

We've actted like a small club all summer and it's going to show through-out the season, It's @#$%& obvious!

You trust Sokratis?

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 11:02
Quote:
SuperRob
I expect us to lose against City first game. Hopefully get a draw against Chelsea. And then the real test is whether we can be consistent, especially away from home against the smaller teams. Changing our mentality against the smaller teams is the main thing I want to see improved this season. The reason we've signed Lichsteiner is for his leadership in training and in the dressing room. Same for Sokratis, at last a defender who likes defending and isn't afraid to clatter someone. Torreira is a fighter and Guendouzi seems to have a bit of a nasty streak in him as well. We've been crying out for some players who will show a bit of fight in tough games and I think that's what we've added this window.

I'm not concerned we haven't signed any creative players. The last 10 years, all we have signed are creative players and look how that's turned out.

Torreira Ramsey

Mkhi Ozil Auba

Lacazette

Utd front 6 Matic, Pogba, Fred. Sanchez Rashford, Lukqku

Tottenham's, Dier, Dembele, Son, Ali, Erikson, Kane

Chelsea, Kovacic, Kante, Jorginho, Willian, Giroud, Hazard

Yeah we"re in better shape...

Auba on the left wing is a waste, I don't care what anyone says, he's not a winger!

djarse (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 11:03
Agree with SuperRob

Lichsteiner and Sokratis are both there for their leadership qualities and their ability to mentor their compatriots and make them into better players (Xhaka and Mavaraponos). Torreira will make any back 4 better protected than in past years. And Emery's coaching and tactical nous is bound to make the team less naive than in recent years.

I can see us sneaking into the 4th place trophy again......

SuperRob (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 17:21
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Quote:
SuperRob

Torreira Ramsey

Mkhi Ozil Auba

Lacazette

Utd front 6 Matic, Pogba, Fred. Sanchez Rashford, Lukqku

Tottenham's, Dier, Dembele, Son, Ali, Erikson, Kane

Chelsea, Kovacic, Kante, Jorginho, Willian, Giroud, Hazard

Yeah we"re in better shape...

Auba on the left wing is a waste, I don't care what anyone says, he's not a winger!

Utd seem to have no team spirit. Alexis and Pogba their two superstars have both started the season by complaining about being there. Mourinho is just doing his usual trick of blaming everyone else for everything, including the players. They'll struggle.

Spurs haven't improved. Alli has gone backwards, so has Dier. Dembele is getting a bit old. They're relying on Kane to get them goals, which is risky. He's delivered consistently for a few years now, but if he has a bad or injury hit year, then spurs will struggle to maintain top four.

Chelsea could still lose Hazard which would be a major blow. The club isn't in good shape. Say what you like about Arsenal's leadership and about the owner but comparing Arsenal and Chelsea you can see which club is well run and which one isn't. Arsenal got the manager in early, got the players in early. Chelsea left it to the last minute with uncertainty surrounding everything. That will affect them at the start of the season, and things will be worse if they lose Hazard.

Arsenal defence is still a concern but it has improved over the summer, especially with the signings of Torreira and Sokratis. Last season we started with @#$%& Elneny and Monreal as our Centre backs! And we've added some players with backbone. In attack, we scored almost as many goals as Liverpool last season. Plus we don't know how having a new manager is going to affect existing players who are underperforming. I think Mustafi has potential to be a decent player with the right coaching. Same with Bellerin, Ramsey and Iwobi.

Our squad isn't as bad as people think. Our general mentality and our fragility in defence is what has been costing us and that is really a coaching and tactical thing rather than a personnel thing. Except for Xhaka who was personally responsible for lots of the goals we conceded and fingers crossed he won't be in the first team very much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2018 17:24 by SuperRob.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 21:52
We've added some defensive reinforcements which is great. Bit just like the recent Wenger years we start the season having not got everything we needed.

Its an average squad with some top quality mixed in. That will get you top six, no more.

Flava (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 22:04
The trouble is Wenger left behind a poor squad on high wages. How on earth are Campbell and Jenkinson still here

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 23:54
Quote:
Flava
The trouble is Wenger left behind a poor squad on high wages. How on earth are Campbell and Jenkinson still here

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 14:48
I had wrote off the next 4 seasons and look forward to the squad that Unai Emery will develop from youths in 2022/23 season.

Hope is the last creature out of Pandora Box

De Times (IP Logged)
12 August, 2018 09:11
Arsenal needs wingers.
Chelsea needs better strikers.
Man city has the most complete squad with no apparent weakness.
Liverpool needs a general upgrade in couple of positions.
Tottenham needs two more attackers.
Man United needs upgrade in couple of positions like rightback, left back, and right wing.
At the end of the season, only ManCity is guaranteed a finish in the top four, others have equal chance.

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
12 August, 2018 09:51
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
Flava

Not sure whether or not I agree with this. We'll find out over the course of the season. Part of me thinks that the squad is actually decent but have been seriously underperforming over the past few years.

I'm hopeful even that players like Mustafi and Iwobi, who get a lot of stick, will improve with different tactics and different coaching. We'll see. As I say, the proof will come over the course of the season whether Wenger was underperforming with a decent set of players, or overperforming with an average group of players.

Ichigo (IP Logged)
12 August, 2018 18:29
Great

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2018 18:32 by Ichigo.

weedz (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 23:33
Quote:
Flava

I agree Flava, but I reckon we're going to have to get used to having a ralitively poor squad for the foreseeable future.

Our club is bending us over and @#$%& us each and every game-day. Since our fall from grace, as to our competitiveness, has there been a drop in price for our expensive game-day tickets?

How can a budget of 50m hope to get us back level with the other top clubs, let alone surpass them?

There should be no one to blame, not our squad, not our manager and not our back room staff until our owner chooses to invest in our club.

Self sustainability is an financial catch-phrase for wanting to make more profit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net