football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Arsenal vs PSG
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
28 July, 2018 16:08
It is pleasant to watch one-touch football to move the ball forward.
That was what happened at this match.

All those little triangles that Guendouzi made himself available to receive the ball, to press the ball carrier, always moving, always looking for a pass. This boy can mixed it - neat and shot passes and long punts.

Smith-Rowe is a joy to watch even in a cameo role; making things happened and his assist of a cross that Lacazette scored.

Sokratis is a calming presence in the box, organizing and directing the defend.

It is like Bellerin had discovered a new joy in playing; moving forward and tracking back.

The worrying aspects are as follows:

#1 - It was so easy for PSG to attack us down the flanks with their pace and one-touch football. Their attacking players seemed to find space and their passes were accurate and so easily bypassed Arsenal players.

#2 - Like Athletico Madrid, PSG found it so easy to play one-touch football to slice through Arsenal Defence like a hot knife through butter.

#3 - We can't seemed to win the 2nd ball out of defence. Same malaise when trying to play out of defence and passed the ball out of defence - 50:50 chance that it will be intercepted.

#4 - Most worrying that the way Rabiot drove through our soft centre without our poor positional plays and tackling. Most probably we missed Xhaka-Torreira to fight in midfield.

#5 - Ramsey did not seem to fit into Emery's high-pressing quick attacking plays. He has too much Wenger DNA in him. Held the ball too long, seldom execute one-touch football and preferred to carry the ball forward whereas a quick one-touch will do more attacking damage. He needed to develop better spatial awareness and does not have the instinctive awareness of Fabregas to know when to pass and move and anticipation of plays 2 or 3 steps ahead before even receiving the ball. That is, Ramsey does not have Baca DNA to play with his head up.

#6 - Where do Mkhitaryan fits into Emery's Team?

#7 - Did Lacazette plays better without Aubameyang? He seems to relished the responsibility of being the target-man, the lone striker without worrying about interchanging with Auba and remains as the target-man for 90 minutes.

In summary, Unai Emery has a decent team but not good enough to break into Top-4 unless he can buy another winger in the mould of Overmars or Pires or Reyes or Lunjberg to give the team another potent goal-scoring threat.

Perhaps in 4 years time when the team gelled with the next generation of youngsters broke into senior squad, possesses superb techniques like Spanish or French youngsters and playing as one-touch quick-passing footballing team like those PSG youngsters.

'If you want to be unhappy, just compare.' Chinese Proverb

'Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.' Winston Churchill

Re: Arsenal vs PSG
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
28 July, 2018 16:16
On the result

For me, it doesn’t change my idea of the team. We still need to improve tactically and improve the pace of every player.

We didn’t have any injuries which was important, and we had the opportunity to play more young players too. The result wasn’t the most important thing today.
For me, it’s also about playing with the young players and missing some important players.

On Ozil being named captain

We are working together and giving the responsibility to the player.
I think he can take the responsibility like a captain, but not forget Koscielny because he is continuing like a captain with us.

Petr Cech and Aaron Ramsey played as captains in friendly matches.

I’m thinking maybe of one or two more players also to take responsibility for every player and for the team.

On Ozil playing in a more advanced role

We want to give him and our players the best position they feel most comfortable in on the pitch.

He started today at No.10 with Matteo and Mohamed behind him. The first one would go up and then find him between the lines, or sometimes Mkhitaryan.

When we do have the ball, we can press with the striker and a No 10 almost like a 4-4-2 in a press. But It depends because Mesut can also play on the right and go inside, driving in to open up space for the right back.

We want to find a space for him and the other players where they can use their qualities through good positioning. I think in the first half today we played good with quality players, but I want to improve this pressing.

In the second half they were tired, but the young players gave us the pressing back and allowed us to change our positions and play with three in midfield (one holding and two ahead).

Was the heat an issue?

No. It was the first match for Mesut, Iwobi and Elneny. They haven’t really worked tactically with the team, this week we worked one day tactically. This morning we're working on positioning, but they need to play.

But I am very happy with how the players played, this was he first time for these three players.

On the support in Singapore for Arsenal

It’s really big. Arsenal have lots of supporters in the world and here in Singapore so we are very happy.

On when he will name his five captains

I am giving you and I’m giving the player this position, but I'm not close.
We are nearly finished, but like I am telling you, one is Koscielny but he’s injured.

Then I am thinking of five more captains.

I am thinking about Petr, Aaron and Mesut. Then I need to find one or two more.
On Arsenal's experience in Singapore
Very positive

We need to show our club around the world and this competition is to be together with out supporters in Singapore.

The condition for work is very good. For that we are happy.

Tomorrow we are going to travel to London, but this week is very good for our preparation.

[www.football.london]

Goofle (IP Logged)
28 July, 2018 16:35
Friendly.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
28 July, 2018 16:39
Why start another thread 🤪

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
28 July, 2018 19:34
Thanks for the update. Couldn't watch the match as I was at a wedding.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
29 July, 2018 00:31
ML96: Did u watch the game at the Singapore stadium? Saw on youtube a number of Arsenal Fan TV members like Robbie were in Dingapore for the gsmes.

SandyB (IP Logged)
29 July, 2018 02:02
Just watch the highlights just destroyed PSG.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
29 July, 2018 02:34
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
ML96: Did u watch the game at the Singapore stadium? Saw on youtube a number of Arsenal Fan TV members like Robbie were in Dingapore for the gsmes.

I will continue to boycott Arsenal merchandise and commercial products till those Yankee carpetbaggers left Arsenal FC.

So much cheaper to buy fake Arsenal jersey from Indonesia, Phillippines, Thailand and China ... which I couldn't bother to buy nowadays during my business travel.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
29 July, 2018 09:32
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Why start another thread 🤪

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
29 July, 2018 10:44
Started thread too fast and didn't see the sticky.

henceforth, I will leave you and Jack to initiate/start match report and rating for rest of friendlies and new season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net