football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Tour squad confirmed
MattySadler (IP Logged)
20 July, 2018 16:22
Arsenal's squad for the Singapore tour has been announced.

New signings Bernd Leno, Sokratis Papastathopoulos and Mattéo Guendouzi have been included. Youngsters Jordi Osei-Tutu, Joe Willock, Emile Smith-Rowe, Reiss Nelson and Eddie Nketiah all make the squad. Lucas Perez is also named as a somewhat surprising inclusion.

Laurent Koscielny misses out due to injury, while David Ospina, Stephan Lichtsteiner, Nacho Monreal, Granit Xhaka, Lucas Torreira and Danny Welbeck have not returned to training yet because of their World Cup exploits.

Carl Jenkinson, Krystian Bielik, Jeff Reine-Adelaide, Joel Campbell and Chuba Akpom have all been left out, expect them all to depart in one way or another. Akpom is apparently close to a £2 million move to Sint-Truiden, where he impressed on loan during the second half of last season.

Other "older" youth players not named include Matt Macey, Cohen Bramall, Julio Pleguezuelo, Ben Sheaf, Gedion Zelalem, Josh DaSilva and Stephy Mavididi, so you'd have to assume most of them will be off as well.

Squad in full:

Petr Cech, Bernd Leno, Emi Martinez, Hector Bellerin, Sead Kolasinac, Jordi Osei-Tutu, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Shkodran Mustafi, Calum Chambers, Rob Holding, Konstantinos Mavropanos, Aaron Ramsey, Mohamed Elneny, Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Mattéo Guendouzi, Joe Willock, Emile Smith-Rowe, Mesut Ozil, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Alex Iwobi, Reiss Nelson, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Alexandre Lacazette, Eddie Nketiah, Lucas Perez.

Re: Tour squad confirmed
MattySadler (IP Logged)
20 July, 2018 18:35
Jeff impressed on loan last season and has impressed in pre-season so far. I'm disappointed he hasn't been named in the squad. Hopefully he goes somewhere out on loan and gets some games. Bielik has had some bad luck with injuries so I hope he goes out and gets some games as well, though I wouldn't be at all surprised if he'd had enough and wanted out permanently.

Kalela (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 01:38
So does this mean Perez is not being sold?

We don't have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap - Arsene Wenger

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 15:22
Either that or shop window. I would like to see him get a proper chance

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 17:16
Quote:
Kalela
So does this mean Perez is not being sold?

Who knows?

I read somewhere that Emery was an admirer when he was at Sevilla apparently.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 21:22
Perez was diabolical on loan last season. He isn't going to make it last squad player imo

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
23 July, 2018 09:13
Admittedly I didn't see a lot of Perez last season, but was he that bad on loan? His goal return wasn't bad for playing for an average Spanish team in La Liga.

But then again Gervinho's goal return wasn't bad for a winger either ...

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
23 July, 2018 13:19
Heard Welbeck is up for sale and Iwobi is getting a contract extension.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

MattySadler (IP Logged)
25 July, 2018 16:38
Quote:
BootyDaddy
Admittedly I didn't see a lot of Perez last season, but was he that bad on loan? His goal return wasn't bad for playing for an average Spanish team in La Liga.
But then again Gervinho's goal return wasn't bad for a winger either ...

I didn't see much of him either but I remember reading a few articles about Deportivo fans apparently turning on him for poor performances.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
25 July, 2018 16:43
Jeff Reine-Adelaide apparently close to a permanent move to Angers.

tigerline (IP Logged)
25 July, 2018 18:26
Matty, I saw where Emery was talking up Emile Smith Rowe.

What can you tell us about his skills, possible position, and prospects at the Club?

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 17:59
With fullbacks Nacho Monreal and Stephan Lichtsteiner, and midfielders Granit Xhaka and Lucas Torreira, joining up with the rest of the squad for pre-season, youngsters Jordi Osei-Tutu and Joe Willock have apparently returned to the U23s.

Reiss Nelson, Emile Smith-Rowe and Eddie Nketiah have remained with the first team. Thoroughly deserved for the latter two.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 18:03
Quote:
tigerline
Matty, I saw where Emery was talking up Emile Smith Rowe.
What can you tell us about his skills, possible position, and prospects at the Club?

Sorry pal literally just seen this.

I'm sure you're well clued up on him by now but for our youth sides he mostly played out wide, as an attacking midfielder or centrally. Personally I see his best position as an attacking midfielder. The player he is most often compared to is Kevin de Bruyne. His dribbling and technique are excellent. He is one of our best prospects.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net