football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Germany 0 2 South Korea - The Danger of Living on Past Reputation
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 16:10
Glad we didn't appoint Jochim Loew as our manager.

Like Arsene Wenger, he is past expiry date and should have left.
Like Arsene Wenger, depending on too much of his Old Guards without rejuvenation.

Like Arsene Wenger losing to the likes of Watford and Swansea, Germany lost to Mexico and South Korea.

Regardless of how Unai Emery performs during his first season with us, it is a step in the right direction to rejuvenate a team and club that had gone into stasis for the past decade that even winning 3 no. FA Cups and Top-4 finishes for 8 out of 10 previous seasons cannot hide the fact that Arsenal FC had declined alarmingly under a dinosaur Arsene Wenger.

Whatever it is, Mexico, South Korea and Senegal prove that teams with new ideas and vigorous commitment will beat marquee teams without commitment and fighting spirit on the pitch.

Under Uani Emery … coming together is a beginning.

'Most owners take out of the club and Vichai just put in. Without him, we would not have won the Premier League. It was a once-in-a-lifetime thing.' Danny Barry, a Leicester City fan for 64 years.

Re: Germany 0 2 South Korea - The Danger of Living on Past Reputation
tigerline (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 16:21
SLIPPAGE ... it is a terrible thing.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 16:22
Bet ozil is booted out of the German side now for youth. The myth about his class has been exposed.

hahanice (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 17:04
im sure 100% of german fans would have loved to have Sane there instead of ozil...

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 17:45
Why must everything bad that happens to Germany or Arsenal somehow be Ozils fault??? What about the rest of the squad. They were all woeful and had nothing to offer. Mexico, Sweden and South Korea played them the same way yet they had no answer or solution even when their faith were in their hands and its Ozil fault????

Wow!! Next to Trump, Ozil is the most hated man I guess.

The German camp were not united, they had gone full circle. This has nothing to do with just Ozil or get to the point of saying thank God we didn't sign Loew. Please give me a break.

When Germany were being so so political and trying to influence team selection etc because of Ilkay Gündogan and Mesut Özil I bet they didn't realize that they were setting up their nation up to fail.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

younghansolo (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 22:11
Mostly because for both arsenal and Germany he's been playing terrible for about three years now. He deserves a lot of criticism because he's supposed to be a leader but plays like a cowardly ensign

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 22:25
I think its 4 out of the last 5 world cup winners that have failed to get beyond the group stage. In particular I remember France going out in 2002, absolutely appalling. Its very hard to keep ambition up once you have won it

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 23:52
Ozil didnt play badly against South Korea. Should not blame him for the loss. Defensively the Germans were poor especially without good on field leadership. Low never got around to fixing the problem.

Jonny Bravo (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 23:57
Quote:
YHS
Mostly because for both arsenal and Germany he's been playing terrible for about three years now. He deserves a lot of criticism because he's supposed to be a leader but plays like a cowardly ensign

Ozil has been many things in his career, but leadership material isn't one of them.
That's not a criticism mind, just his character, his job is to supply to the chances for the leading lights to do their stuff.
Its no coincidence that the lack of leaders in the German team such as Lahm and Schweinsteiger has precipitated their collapse, but scapegoating Ozil is a bit of an easy out.

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 00:04
And yet, everyone was in awe a year ago when Germany won the Confederation Cup with a B team (Goretza, Kimmich, Werner, Rudiger, and co). The coach has to shoulder a lot of the blame for failing to blend them in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/06/2018 00:05 by SaltnPeppah.

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 09:01
Quote:
Padre Pio
I think its 4 out of the last 5 world cup winners that have failed to get beyond the group stage. In particular I remember France going out in 2002, absolutely appalling. Its very hard to keep ambition up once you have won it

think it goes this way

1998 France won the world cup and got eliminated at the group stage at the 2002 world cup
2006 Italy won the world cup and got eliminated at the group stages during 2010 world cup
2010 Spain won the world cup and got eliminated at the group stage during the 2014 world cup
2014 Germany won the world cup and just got eliminated at the group stage in the yet to be concluded 2018 world cup.

how about that. THE CURSE OF THE WINNERS STRUCK AGAIN!

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

SandyB (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 11:35
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
Quote:
Padre Pio

think it goes this way

1998 France won the world cup and got eliminated at the group stage at the 2002 world cup
2006 Italy won the world cup and got eliminated at the group stages during 2010 world cup
2010 Spain won the world cup and got eliminated at the group stage during the 2014 world cup
2014 Germany won the world cup and just got eliminated at the group stage in the yet to be concluded 2018 world cup.

how about that. THE CURSE OF THE WINNERS STRUCK AGAIN!
1994 Brasil won the World Cup played final in 1998.
2002 Brasil won the World Cup played the QF in 2006.
There is no curse.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 13:36
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
Why must everything bad that happens to Germany or Arsenal somehow be Ozils fault??? What about the rest of the squad. They were all woeful and had nothing to offer. Mexico, Sweden and South Korea played them the same way yet they had no answer or solution even when their faith were in their hands and its Ozil fault????
Wow!! Next to Trump, Ozil is the most hated man I guess.

The German camp were not united, they had gone full circle. This has nothing to do with just Ozil or get to the point of saying thank God we didn't sign Loew. Please give me a break.

When Germany were being so so political and trying to influence team selection etc because of Ilkay Gündogan and Mesut Özil I bet they didn't realize that they were setting up their nation up to fail.

Read my article again.

It is REJUVENATION.
And why after winning the league, every successful manager is ruthless enough to re-structure the team to win again.

And the reason why Arsene Wenger never win back-to-back title with Arsenal FC, simply he failed to rejuvenate and re-structure a successful team for the next challenge.

'Most owners take out of the club and Vichai just put in. Without him, we would not have won the Premier League. It was a once-in-a-lifetime thing.' Danny Barry, a Leicester City fan for 64 years.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 15:35
So only Brazil beat the curse Sandy, I dont think its a curse, but it is a trend. I think its hard to win twice in a row. How many teams win CL twice in a row?

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

SandyB (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 16:02
Quote:
Padre Pio
So only Brazil beat the curse Sandy, I dont think its a curse, but it is a trend. I think its hard to win twice in a row. How many teams win CL twice in a row?

That's for sure very hard to win twice in a row coz in 4 years players get older n lots of ups n downs in forms etc. 4 years ago Oscar was the main man in the MF now he plays in China don't know for which team. Mario Goetze was the goal scorer in the final n they didn't even select him. Real Madrid won CL 3 times in a row is something amazing doesn't happen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net