football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

England, not as good as the results may suggest.
celine dion (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 18:42
I know it might seem an odd comment when they won 6-1 but I still didnt see enough from England to imagine that they will do well in the latter stages.

This is an unusual World Cup because the traditional 'big countries' all have flaws, or aren't there at all in the case of Holland and Italy.

So a team like England could feasibly get quite far.

But watching todays game, even though they scored every few minutes in the first half, I still didnt see very much cohesion between midfield and the strikers. The goals came from set pieces, where England are far and away the most dangerous team in the tournament. Stones second goal was a fantastically worked set piece. But apart from the set pieces which accounted for a large number of the goals, I still didnt see the midfield linking up with the wide players to any great extent. Compare with Belgium yesterday and Belgium appear to be a far more cohesive team, each player knows their role and can pick out the next man in their system with minimum difficulty.

It may see churlish in light of a 6-1 victory but I think when England come up against one of the better driller teams like Belgium or Croatia, they wont get a look in.

I know one other person on here agrees because we said this to each other on twitter after todays game. But can anyone else see what I mean?

Re: England, not as good as the results may suggest.
Flava (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 19:09
It’s coming home
It’s coming home
It’s coming, football’s coming home

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 19:41
They was as good as the results suggest.
But they will come unstuck against a so called big team.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 20:00
Easy-ish road to the quarters, but can't see them get past that stage. But then again, I'm not English and it could just be wishful thinking.

Since before the tournament started, I've felt that this is the worst England team in many, many moons (since circa 1992-1996), at least in terms of individual talent.

SandyB (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 20:19
Quote:
SaltnPeppah
Easy-ish road to the quarters, but can't see them get past that stage. But then again, I'm not English and it could just be wishful thinking.
Since before the tournament started, I've felt that this is the worst England team in many, many moons (since circa 1992-1996), at least in terms of individual talent.
Still too early but as I was telling you many times don’t celebrate early, the winner or 2nd place from England, Belgium group might face Colombians in knockout stage.

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 20:44
Sadly for Colombia, a team with OSPINA as a GK will not go very far.

goonerred (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 20:55
England won't go far, but we can enjoy what they have done so far. We didn't get out of the group last time.Quarters - maybe.

SandyB (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 21:13
Quote:
SaltnPeppah
Ospina had a very good game today but looks like he’s injured. England or Belgium whoever get them will have a real first test of the tournament.

24 June, 2018 21:23
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
SaltnPeppah
Ospina had a very good game today but looks like he’s injured. England or Belgium whoever get them will have a real first test of the tournament.

He's injured after every bloody save he manages to make.
Or makes out he his.

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 21:42
Quintero and James are the Xavi Iniesta of this tournament xD

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 22:45
The noise from the English media has become deafening. Some suggest they can win it. I am waiting seriously for that to happen.

Not taking anything away from the three lions, but how did Panama qualify for the world cup with how they were playing???

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 23:02
Take away set pieces and England will struggle to score.

SandyB (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 03:12
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
The noise from the English media has become deafening. Some suggest they can win it. I am waiting seriously for that to happen.
Not taking anything away from the three lions, but how did Panama qualify for the world cup with how they were playing???
We were talking about the same here in US, WTF US couldn’t qualify against this Panama side is buffling! US could have given a run for the money in this group.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 08:56
The defence had been under no real pressure yet but has conceded twice to poor teams McGuire gives the ball away too much and in places the top players will exploit. As is usual the pundits and media have overreacted but I suppose they have done all they have been asked to do so far.

A shadow of what we were

litmus (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 09:36
Well, if you look at the US team roster now, they don't have the same quality compared to previous years. Apart from Pulisic, who is still very young the others are not even in the top leagues anymore. Dempsey and the always average Altidore are too old and they have too many inexperienced youths. Even Lichaj, a regular for them plays in England's second tier.

SandyB (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 12:18
Quote:
litmus
Well, if you look at the US team roster now, they don't have the same quality compared to previous years. Apart from Pulisic, who is still very young the others are not even in the top leagues anymore. Dempsey and the always average Altidore are too old and they have too many inexperienced youths. Even Lichaj, a regular for them plays in England's second tier.
I got your point but still unable to qualify against Panama is too bad!

tigerline (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 13:44
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
litmus
I got your point but still unable to qualify against Panama is too bad!

Simply put, it was humiliating.

25 June, 2018 14:18
Belgium will expose England.

SandyB (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 14:42
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Isn't it kinda friendly match, specially when you don't know who you will play in knockout stage there is no incentive of playing full strength team. Apparently, Belgium is talking about injury scare of Lukaku n Hazard indicating they won't play in the game.

celine dion (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 16:29
Mind you Greece won an international tournament on the strength of set pieces not so long ago.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 17:41
Quote:
mapleleafgooner

Or we may just expose them. Don't forget this is the same team that Wales knocked out of the Euros.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Ares (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 17:44
1. England - Panama was boring - Non Contest

England - Belgium - meaningless now. Would have been really exciting as the first game.

And then the next two games would have had a bit of spice.

2. Gosh! Colombia's Goalkeeper is Brave.

3. Re: World Cup Qualification. If you can not get out of the group... if you actually finish two places behind Panama .... wow

you just know somewhere S.B. is rolling on the floor crying with laughter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/06/2018 17:45 by Ares.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
29 June, 2018 08:12
"I know one other person on here agrees because we said this to each other on twitter after todays game. But can anyone else see what I mean?"

I know you werent discussing the squad in depth bit I agree, but last night showed the limitations of the depth of the squad and the tactics. Never looked like scoring against a reasonably good defence, dodgy keeping, midfield build up too slow, and failed to take advantage of any of the many dead balls. I think if Belgium first team had played the England first team it would have been a massacre.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

29 June, 2018 12:53
Told u so. England is over rated by the English press.

SandyB (IP Logged)
29 June, 2018 13:12
What I heard in US media that England apparently loss the game deliberately to find a weaker route to SF. As per Alexi Lalas it’s a mistake but we will see.

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
29 June, 2018 16:12
Quote:
SandyB
What I heard in US media that England apparently loss the game deliberately to find a weaker route to SF. As per Alexi Lalas it’s a mistake but we will see.

What's your source? INFOWARS? (Sm105)

Goofle (IP Logged)
29 June, 2018 16:18
England Brazil final if all goes well.

SandyB (IP Logged)
29 June, 2018 16:23
Quote:
Goofle
deadspin
(Sm6)
Alexi Lalas was saying on Fox it’s a mistake to rest your key players before a knockout game for long it takes the tempo out specially considering Belgium game was the only opportunity so far to have a feeling what’s coming..let’s see.

Flava (IP Logged)
29 June, 2018 16:54
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
Goofle
deadspin
(Sm6)
Alexi Lalas was saying on Fox it’s a mistake to rest your key players before a knockout game for long it takes the tempo out specially considering Belgium game was the only opportunity so far to have a feeling what’s coming..let’s see.

It’s surely better to have fresh players who are well rested. The conspiracy theories about deliberately losing are b.ollox as well while we’re at it

The highest ranked team to who Martinez had beaten was Costa Rica before yesterday.

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
29 June, 2018 17:26
A bit of history here.

England have not beaten a top nation in a major tournament since 2002, and that was Argentina in the group stage. So losing to Belgium may have been what England wanted, but in the end, it was just another failure to beat a top nation.

29 June, 2018 18:49
England might lose to Colombia especially if James is available for that game.

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
29 June, 2018 19:32
So, England potential opponents in the 1/4 finals, should they somehow beat the odds and defeat Colmbia, would be Sweden, a team that beat France in the qualifiers (OK, from a last minute Lloris howler), then eliminated Italy over 2 games, and now has helped kick Germany out of the tournament.

Flava (IP Logged)
29 June, 2018 23:00
Quote:
SaltnPeppah
So, England potential opponents in the 1/4 finals, should they somehow beat the odds and defeat Colmbia, would be Sweden, a team that beat France in the qualifiers (OK, from a last minute Lloris howler), then eliminated Italy over 2 games, and now has helped kick Germany out of the tournament.

I agree England could easily lose against Colombia but it wouldn’t be against the odds because England are favourites

SandyB (IP Logged)
30 June, 2018 01:45
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
SaltnPeppah

I agree England could easily lose against Colombia but it wouldn’t be against the odds because England are favourites
I gotta agree, without James playing England is slightly favorite but the game can be a carnage they aren’t gonna rollover without a massive fight.

tigerline (IP Logged)
30 June, 2018 02:35
Never underestimate the Ospina factor ... England should be considered a heavy favourite.

Put those big boys in front of the goal for crosses and Ospina will crumple like tissue paper.

Being short and reticent is not a winning combination in a keeper.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
30 June, 2018 18:31
To be honest, with Harry Kane, England should reach at least the semi finals. As hard as that is for me to say.

Think what you want about the squad, Harry Kane is probably the best striker in the tournament

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
30 June, 2018 19:56
Ospina had an inspired Mina and Sanchez helping him defend. Not the same as having a clueless Mustafi and an aging Kos. Much depends on how inspired Cuadrado Is for the match and if James plays. The team didn't play well collectively Vs Senegal but got the result so that should reinforce them. England will leave spaces that Quintero will exploit.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
30 June, 2018 22:25
Quote:
younghansolo
To be honest, with Harry Kane, England should reach at least the semi finals. As hard as that is for me to say.
Think what you want about the squad, Harry Kane is probably the best striker in the tournament

Dont look better than Cavani, Suarez or Mbappe

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

30 June, 2018 22:50
I expect England to beat Columbia but will be delighted if Columbia send them parking.

30 June, 2018 23:28
Quote:
Padre Pio
Quote:
younghansolo

Dont look better than Cavani, Suarez or Mbappe

PKGooner (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 00:33
Kane scored the sh*ttest hattrick of all time against dreadful opposition.

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 15:34
Quote:
PKGooner
Kane scored the sh*ttest hattrick of all time against dreadful opposition.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

04 July, 2018 00:35
I was wrong that England will lose on penalty kicks. But I was right that they have a hard time scring from open play against organised oppositions.

SandyB (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 03:59
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
I was wrong that England will lose on penalty kicks. But I was right that they have a hard time scring from open play against organised oppositions.
The penalty was shame, if that was a penalty then there are at least more than 10 similar penalty was not given. Ramos appeal against Russia in extra time was much closer to be penalty not given. Kane was no where near the ball to have a goal scoring opportunity and the moment the defender grabbed him he just went down. Never a penalty by any standard. Also a point to note in this World Cup so far 31 penalty given n no South American team got one except Argentina one against Iceland which Messi missed. England is getting the highest a penalty per match.

Flava (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 09:31
Yes because they are getting hauled down at EVERY corner.

England deserved to beat Colombia. They didn't get away with their cheating nonsense.

F,uck them!

04 July, 2018 10:51
Quote:
Flava
Yes because they are getting hauled down at EVERY corner.
England deserved to beat Colombia. They didn't get away with their cheating nonsense.

F,uck them!

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 12:40
I think that was a penalty, Sanchez took Kane for a horse.

Also, what Lerma later did by trying to modify the penalty spot with his foot is disgraceful.

I don't think this English team will win the world cup, but they did show more ambition during this match. I only saw Colombia going for it during the last 5 minutos of the second half, and the first extra half.

04 July, 2018 13:04
Quote:
celine dion
Mind you Greece won an international tournament on the strength of set pieces not so long ago.

The worst Euro winners for me. They were boring to watch and I was @#$%& of when they eventually won it.

04 July, 2018 13:08
England were lucky to get away with a win based on how they played. The game was crappy. Nothing spectacular but winning is all that matters. If James Rodriguez played, I doubt he would have squandered the chances Columbia created. Hopefully they would get their acts in other against Sweden. Not that I care though. As a gunner, it's hard cheering a team filled with Tottenham players.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 08:50
Whichever way you look at it we are in the semis good or no good.

A shadow of what we were

Goofle (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 12:22
There have been no good teams this world cup.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 18:07
Quote:
Goofle
There have been no good teams this world cup.
Brazil with casmiro and Willian on the right is the most threatening and played tactically against mexico and stop their cointers, esp on corners.

I dunno what the @#$%& they were doing in the first 35 min.

Goofle (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 18:36
being not a very good team.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 05:01
I think the only bad thing about that team is the coach. The right coach will make them the next Germany

younghansolo (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 12:02
Nobody else has said it, so I will......IT'S COMING HOME

Goofle (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 15:20
Indeed.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 21:47
Got found out by a highly technical team who knew how to pass.

'In the end the most satisfying solution is the one where you have cleared everything away and there is no solution at all any more, at the same time, the problem has been solved. That's the nicest way of doing it.'
Brilliant Orange [2010]

11 July, 2018 22:02
Ehhhhh! #ItsComingHome Right??? These Croatian's have defied all odds.

11 July, 2018 22:10
Quote:
Merlion96
Got found out by a highly technical team who knew how to pass.

Told u guys that England's troubles with scoring from open play will be found out against a quality team. They have been lucky so far to meet relatively weak teams.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 23:36
England got reality check tonight, a lot better teams have gone out before them

12 July, 2018 02:21
Quote:
Padre Pio
England got reality check tonight, a lot better teams have gone out before them

England had very favourable draws along tje way. They basically punched above their weight.

12 July, 2018 12:45
Southgate must be regretting not bringing a creative midfielder in Wilshere to the WC.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 14:05
Why did they bother with welbeck? They brought on an injured vardy over him. Surely Wilshere or shelves would have been a better choice to take

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
13 July, 2018 12:07
Henderson was playing hoof ball all night. Wilshere would have helped without a doubt. I knew the team would implode the moment Henderson started hoofing it in the 35 min

13 July, 2018 15:12
England fans call on FIFA to 'investigate' referee Cuneyt Cakir after accusing Croatia match official of 'being biased'

This is EXACTLY why I can't stand the English national team, some of their fans and their OUTRAGEOUS MEDIA. Why didn't they call for investigation when the Ref was ridiculously biased during their match against Columbia???? We've had worse officiating and wrong calls during this world cup even after the VAR was used.

Majority of English fans and their media believe that they are God's gift to football. Apart from this present world cup, thanks to the Germans demise, the highlight of my world cup is seeing The Three Lions Crash and Burn. Hope they lose that 3rd place game. NOISY FANS.

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/07/2018 15:18 by AJ The Gunner.

SandyB (IP Logged)
13 July, 2018 15:51
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
England fans call on FIFA to 'investigate' referee Cuneyt Cakir after accusing Croatia match official of 'being biased'

This is EXACTLY why I can't stand the English national team, some of their fans and their OUTRAGEOUS MEDIA. Why didn't they call for investigation when the Ref was ridiculously biased during their match against Columbia???? We've had worse officiating and wrong calls during this world cup even after the VAR was used.

Majority of English fans and their media believe that they are God's gift to football. Apart from this present world cup, thanks to the Germans demise, the highlight of my world cup is seeing The Three Lions Crash and Burn. Hope they lose that 3rd place game. NOISY FANS.

[www.mirror.co.uk]

FIFA is investigating English fans for making some 'racist' chants in Croatia game. Can you imagine making racist chant in Russia that too against Croatia team? (Sm105)

13 July, 2018 19:48
To be fair, I thought one of the linesman in the Croatia-England was biased against England. Once the ball went out clearly and should have been a corner to England and we know how dangerous England are from setpieces. The other time, the ball should be been a throw in to England but that same linesman allow Croatia to continue with play.

But things balanced out as I thought the ref for the Colombia-England game favoured the English.

13 July, 2018 20:06
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
To be fair, I thought one of the linesman in the Croatia-England was biased against England. Once the ball went out clearly and should have been a corner to England and we know how dangerous England are from setpieces. The other time, the ball should be been a throw in to England but that same linesman allow Croatia to continue with play.
But things balanced out as I thought the ref for the Colombia-England game favoured the English.

don't agree totally. The game against Croatia, the ref gave some calls that favoured England too. for me, the English players felt the ref should side them more when it was totally uncalled for. when they realised they were not getting any help from the ref, they started shoving and acting up too.

as for the game against Columbia, granted the Colombians were pretty rough and deserved some cards that were dished out but the ref was plain biased that at a point the match almost broke in fight. the ref was even shoved. it was at the second half perhaps the ref had re-watched the first half because he tried to balance things but even at that, he was just too obviously biased.

13 July, 2018 20:16
Quote:
SandyB
FIFA is investigating English fans for making some 'racist' chants in Croatia game. Can you imagine making racist chant in Russia that too against Croatia team? (Sm105)

Racist chants???? that is plain terrible. at least they are not tearing up the city and getting arrested. Russians won't be as accommodating.

Quote:
AJ The Gunner
Hope they lose that 3rd place game.

nevertheless. i retract this sentence. wish the English team all the best against Belgium. they may have gotten an easy ride to the semi's, but they made the most of it. playing to their strength. if they had a creative player in the midfield or Southgate had the guts to replace kane who was out of it, perhaps...just perhaps

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 17:37
Wins against Tunisia, Panama and Sweden. Draw against Colombia and losses vs Belgium (x2) and Croatia. And yet, if you listen to the English media/pundits, you'd think this England team has reached some previously unknown heights. Still can't beat a heavyweight or a team ranked above them, though. (Sm105)

For the record, this was Paul Merson's predictions before the semi-final, and I'll spare you all the others (Charlie Nicholas, Ferdinand, Neville, Lawro, and co.)

I can't see anything but an England win. I find it impossible how Croatia can play back-to-back extra time and penalties, and then come again. They were completely out on their feet late against Russia.

With 30 minutes to go in this game I think England will run away with it and win comfortably. The longer the game goes on, there's no way England can't win.

14 July, 2018 17:43
WELL DONE Belgium & TH14!
Now That Belgium Has Finish 3rd, English Fans can now officially force FIFA to investigate Belgium for scoring 2 goals against them thereby denying them the mandate of returning the World Cup home. You know it's meant to be #ComingHome. Lol.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 18:41
The manner with which Southgate has treated Danny Welbeck in this tournament is nothing short of a disgrace.

Why did he not even get on today? It litterally makes no sense at all to have taken him. No excuse

Bergmars (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 20:09
Don't judge us by our media and pundits most of us know the score the last two games showed us that we are not that far forward than the Euros

A shadow of what we were

SandyB (IP Logged)
15 July, 2018 00:45
Today’s game was like preseason practice session for Tottenham.. lol

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
15 July, 2018 14:50
Quote:
SaltnPeppah
Wins against Tunisia, Panama and Sweden. Draw against Colombia and losses vs Belgium (x2) and Croatia. And yet, if you listen to the English media/pundits, you'd think this England team has reached some previously unknown heights. Still can't beat a heavyweight or a team ranked above them, though. (Sm105)
For the record, this was Paul Merson's predictions before the semi-final, and I'll spare you all the others (Charlie Nicholas, Ferdinand, Neville, Lawro, and co.)

I can't see anything but an England win. I find it impossible how Croatia can play back-to-back extra time and penalties, and then come again. They were completely out on their feet late against Russia.

With 30 minutes to go in this game I think England will run away with it and win comfortably. The longer the game goes on, there's no way England can't win.
There's only one man responsible. Kane. He bottled his chances big time in both the semis and the third place play off.

Henderson was always @#$%&. But kane is the best striker in the world behind messi and ronaldo lol

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 13:26
Thats Spurs for you, always choke in the big games

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net