football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Stephan Lichtsteiner joins us from Juventus. Who Is This Guy??
AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 19:27
A 34 years old player??? Hmmmm.... May be his role will be to teach the other defender's the basics of defending because I don't understand this signing.

Does anyone know about this guy or has watched him play?? Was he a great or average defender in his youth or peak???

[www.arsenal.com]

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2018 19:28 by AJ The Gunner.

Re: Stephan Lichtsteiner joins us from Juventus. Who Is This Guy??
Padre Pio (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 19:34
Well on the plus side he's free and as far as we know doesnt have a broken back

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

SandyB (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 19:50
Top class RB 6 years ago. You can see him playing for Swiss in WC n may be still better than Bellerin. If Alves can play Lichtsteiner also can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2018 19:51 by SandyB.

weedz (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 20:12
We were linked to this player about 4 or 5 seasons ago and at the time I remember reading that he was the considered a top euro RB, with stamina in spades. He just kept running up and down his flank non-stop, providing width to Juves attack and dominance in his defensive duties.

He was described as the 'energiser bunnie' and he's a big unit too. A Jenkins with skills. He's won 7 seriA titles and captained Juve as well.

I don't know If his age is a concern, but his history says he is or was a top-draw RB.

Welcome to Arsenal Stephan Lichtsteiner

tigerline (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 20:40
I like the signing.

Beyond his abilities, I like populating the squad with a proven winner who will demonstrate a level of work ethic and determination that is sorely needed around here.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 21:20
His best days are gone.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 21:47
Unlike most of our defenders whose best days are yet to come

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 00:43
Quote:
Padre Pio
... if ever.....

Flava (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 10:01
Quote:
tigerline
I like the signing.
Beyond his abilities, I like populating the squad with a proven winner who will demonstrate a level of work ethic and determination that is sorely needed around here.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 11:28
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
tigerline
I like the signing.
This. For nowsmiling smiley

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 12:16
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Quote:
Padre Pio
... if ever.....
Indeed

Flava (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 13:23
It's about changing the culture and attitude of the squad as much as what Lichsteiner can do on the pitch. You don't play under Allegri and win 7 consecutive Serie A titles if you don't take your job as a defender very seriously. If some of that experience and professionalism rubs off on Chambers, Holding and Mavrepanos then it has to be a good thing.

Emery needs to change the ethos of the squad, Celine put it eloquently the other day, Arsenal are a team of hairdressers.

De Times (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 17:12
Good back up to Bellerin, nothing extra special.

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

SandyB (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 18:46
Quote:
De Times

Welcome back dude.. welcome back. Howd (Sm100)

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 20:54
Quote:
De Times

Thought you had done a runner.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 22:03
Blimey you blindsided us all here. Can Unai Emery look forward to having his bum licked just like Wenger? Or will it be hostility or studied indifference?

07 June, 2018 18:24
Quote:
Flava
It's about changing the culture and attitude of the squad as much as what Lichsteiner can do on the pitch. You don't play under Allegri and win 7 consecutive Serie A titles if you don't take your job as a defender very seriously. If some of that experience and professionalism rubs off on Chambers, Holding and Mavrepanos then it has to be a good thing.
Emery needs to change the ethos of the squad, Celine put it eloquently the other day, Arsenal are a team of hairdressers.

I totally agree. We need players who have the winning mentality. For one our defenders will do with his wealth of experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2018 18:25 by AJ The Gunner.

07 June, 2018 18:26
Quote:
De Times

You still dey??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net