football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Liverpool will win the league next season
Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 22:28
They've alreafy got the best strike force and now with the additions of Fabinho and Keita in midfield I think they've got a great chanceb of winning it.

Wish we had Klopp in charge.

Re: Liverpool will win the league next season
PKGooner (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 23:24
I agree they do have a good squad.

I think all that they need to do now is sign Cleverly. Really complete the puzzle. Then they're all set.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 23:40
Reports we missed out on Fabinho.

Our midfield is beyond shite and in my opinion it is more import than the defence to sort out!

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 23:41
Ever heard of the "2nd Season" Syndrome?

Hope is the last creature out of Pandora Box

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 23:44
Fabinho is exactly the type of midfielder we need.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 03:12
I have confidence in the new team in charge of player recruitment to fix the shortcomings of the current team especially in defence and DM positions without any prejudice. Might not be able to afford the big ticket players but will get affordable players who can fit into Emery's plan. That in itself will be an improvement over the past.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 03:19
Liverpool is about to complete their turn around. It's the last phase of the cycle where you go for broke and try to win something. Coutinho, sterling, suarez sales have also played their part.

Coutinho esp, the profit was very high.

Emery well have to find his own smart buys like coutinho, mane, firminho, etc before he can get his van dijk, fabinho.

And yes liverpool can win the league and will push liverpool. But in 2 years time all their players will get injured like chamberlain and suffer soft tissue injuries.

So if they want to push, they have 2 years to so it

SandyB (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 03:44
Couple of days back I was chatting with my Spuds mate, normally it always kinda friendly mocking, now that Wenger is gone n Arsenal is in rebuilding we have actually little things to mock the Spuds but there is one n the big one... they are currently having their golden generation of players with a stable manager n a brand new stadium but not even have a Tin cup to show off. So what I was telling him that they might have a year or might not have any to keep their team intact n win something significant otherwise players like Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Erricsen or even few of their defenders will sign up to play for someone else. So it’s not just do or die for Liverpool but for Spuds too.
When all this are correct but one thing he said that’s true at any time the Spuds trio will fetch 300m that’s base value of their asset n current Spuds squad is more than 600m where as Arsenal might not be even one third of that. This is how we should be looking at things now, Arsenal needs to build the value for the squad while rebuilding coz failing to do so will put the club even more problem territory.

Goofle (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 03:59
lol Liverpool will be at least 10 points off the top.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 09:21
Quote:
Goofle
lol Liverpool will be at least 10 points off the top.
Doesn't matter as long as they have not dropped those points in April, March. Logically they should be pushing and pushing city and unite

Of course if they end up selling salah/mane, it will change things dramatically.

No team can match the depth and quality of the city squad, so it's more about pep being able to motivate, refereeing as always, and injuries that will derail them.

On paper they should still win thr league next year, but we all know what they really want is ucl. They can practically buy the league whenever they want hiring the best manager avaliable and giving him the best players money can buy.

But in ucl you have real, barca, psg, juventus, bayern who do def match them for player quality and coaching.
Maybe he won't prioritize this year, but def see him doing that the next year of they don't win ucl this year.

Whenever that blip comes, it's when there's a chance for the likes of united /pool

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/05/2018 09:25 by CazOnARola.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 14:37
Man City are on another level but I think Liverpool will head the rest.

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 14:54
For me right now, it doesn't matter who wins the league as long as we show tremendous progress defensively and also progress from were we found ourselves.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Jonny Bravo (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 15:29
There squad isn't on City's level, especially in terms of the depth of attacking talent City can call upon.

However you have to hand it to them, since wasting the Suarez money, they have quite methodically improved their squad with clearly identifiable targets, often waiting for who they want rather than settling for second or third option.

Unfortunately for them, their progress to the CL final was perhaps ahead of where they expected to be right now, with their insistence on waiting until the summer for Alisson costing them dearly on the night.

However regardless of the nature of that defeat, their stock is very much on the rise, with the style of play and Klopp's ability to improve players making them an attractive destination.

There is some interesting parallels in terms of where we are at the moment, and where they were three years ago, with poor recruitment and an under performing squad, not to mention loosing both the League Cup and EL finals.

We can only hope the changes made to our football governance structure, as well as those made on the coaching side will yield a more cohesive player recruitment policy, as well as a more discernible style of play that is both attractive and more importantly effective.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/05/2018 15:34 by Jonny Bravo.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 16:09
Leicester City squad was never on any level of Man City, ManU, Liverpool, Tiny Totts, Chelski and Arsenal.

It is fighting spirit of the TEAM, committed players who played with passion and a manager who knew the players, motivated them and just selected correctly the tactics to bring the best out of the squad.

That is all Unai Emery needed to do like what Raineri did with the budget Leicester City, who survived relegation and went on to win the title the next.

Who will ever think of Huddersfield surviving by collecting points from Top-3 team in succession?

Or a dogged WBA beat ManU at OT?

Yes, with Wenger I will write off this squad without a second thought for 2018/19 season.
With a new manager ... that is always hope as proven by Leicester City.

Goofle (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 16:13
Leicester were rubbish and got lucky that no other good team performed well/consistently in that season. Freak accident. Don't think that points total would have won the league for quite a while without looking it up.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 17:43
Quote:
Goofle
Leicester were rubbish and got lucky that no other good team performed well/consistently in that season. Freak accident. Don't think that points total would have won the league for quite a while without looking it up.
We were the most balanced and undisturbed team that year. We beat them twice, we should have won the league but we @#$%& it up and handed it to them

SandyB (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 18:31
I’ll go with Tom don’t see Leicester happening again n Emery or not no chance for Arsenal for this season title race. Having said that even if on paper City looks the favorite but don’t see them winning the league again, David Silva, Fernandinho, Aguero will not be same what they were last season, this is World Cup year there are too many old players in the city team they will flap n FA will not be kind to them either, that’s normally the EPL plot. My league title pick this season is Mourinho’s Man United, they are gonna bring in few key players n with a bit of FA’s blessing they are gonna go all the way to win it. Liverpool will be the dark horse challenging them.
Both Arsenal n Chelsea will be in rebuilding mode, make or break season for Spuds.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 18:59
See united winning as well. Agree about the FA magic.

Don't see spurs doing anything. I think their time is gone. Their players are in the same boat as cesc etc. They need to focus on the FA cup and make top 4. They can't win the league with the same players suddenly

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 21:50
June 14 will decide who has the most favorite draws to win the League.
I don't expect Emery to screw up like we did for the past 10 years, even if rebuilding.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 21:26
Some coach will figure out a way to beat their gegen pressing game and the rest of the league will take notice. If they lose Salah which I suspect they will to Real, they will be wealthier but they are far from winning the league with their current defence.

no1 gazza fan (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 01:21
I don’t agree it’s that black and white.
As one of the poster below in the thread says, it is about identifying the right targets, attitude and playing style and recruiting wisely.
Players need the challenge of hungry hardworking players wanting the first team shirt to keep them at their best

We will probably lose Dembele, Toby and Rose this year to add to walker.

Sanchez looks a great Long term replacement for CB
Aurier looks like a complete liability , and I reckon we will resort to plan b of working on development of walker peters

Liverpool’s biggest threat is a loss of form to Salah and keeping Mane fit imo.
Keep hem two in great form and build some solidness at the back and they’ll be a force. I think next season might strill be a season too early as defensive frailty is mental too

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa146/no1gazzafan/VDVmegs.gif

no, put your wallet away Jack, that was too easy

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 15:51
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Some coach will figure out a way to beat their gegen pressing game and the rest of the league will take notice. If they lose Salah which I suspect they will to Real, they will be wealthier but they are far from winning the league with their current defence.

Is not that difficult the find th answer. Madrid already did that for quite a few min. Germany s second half tactics against Argentina in the final is Smythe good example.

Basically when pressing with the front 4, they are covering all the usual angles of passes.

eg. In defensive possession, players are taught to show for the ball and create angle towards a defensive back pass, they pool players generally cover that.

So the option left is for your wife players to first start wide and once that angle is covered move central, and your DM/CB pass into that.

Pbm with that is that if the attacker guess it and intercepts, is a straight run at goal.

With great players like modric you cab even get away with that but you will get found out.
So what do you do?
Your DMs basically need to come even deeper and thrn chip the ball over the front 4, preferably wide, so that tbf risk is less.

Then they need to step up and run beyond that first line of 4 and thrn you at the back 4.

Also one you get the ball on the wings, in case you cut in, you will not try to play passes theret and risk interception, you will just switch the wings one way and thn the other. Toni kroos is an absolute master at this but he ^caught flat footed in the first half at the other bit of stepping beyond the front 4 that i talked about earlier.

This was done to the absolute best level by Germany in the final against Argentina.

But if you're natural game is to show for the ball and play out from the back playing 6 yard passes, you will get murdered.

That is why guardiola teams suffer against klopp.

Madrid are also caught in possession cause they too like most teams in this decade want to dominate midfield and build from the back slowly. But Zidane was smart enough to at least ask his team to minimize this. Marcelo's play was excellent, whether it was executing the chip to ronaldo or making himself available wide.
Even covering the CBs during dangerous transitions. He was man of the match for me.

Jonny Bravo (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 18:46
[www.theguardian.com]

That's our whole transfer budget on one player (Sm100)

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 04:26
Quote:
Jonny Bravo
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/07/liverpool-set-to-complete-signing-nabil-fekir-lyon
They never replaced couutinho so that money is still there be invested. They can't rely on chamberlain for that role.

Also they are making a final push to win the title. Even if we sign 2/3 players in that region, we will still need more signings to be able to compete for the league.
We need so last 5 new players in our backline including a keeper. This will be pragmatic transfer window.

Besides, we spent a similar amount on auba in Jan already

SandyB (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 22:01
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
Jonny Bravo
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/07/liverpool-set-to-complete-signing-nabil-fekir-lyon
They never replaced couutinho so that money is still there be invested. They can't rely on chamberlain for that role.

Also they are making a final push to win the title. Even if we sign 2/3 players in that region, we will still need more signings to be able to compete for the league.
We need so last 5 new players in our backline including a keeper. This will be pragmatic transfer window.

Besides, we spent a similar amount on auba in Jan already
Liverpool already signed Naby Keita who was touted as Ronaldinho in Bundes liga as replacement of Coutinho. Don't see this Fekir guy joining Liverpool.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 22:12
Looking at the way Real Madrid out-thought Klopp, doubt Liverpool FC will ever win another title with sugar daddy teams like Man City around, plus and obsessive winner like Mourinho at ManU.

Jonny Bravo (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 17:55
Not fecking around these guys..

Alisson

Goofle (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 20:36
Quote:
Merlion96
Looking at the way Real Madrid out-thought Klopp, doubt Liverpool FC will ever win another title with sugar daddy teams like Man City around, plus and obsessive winner like Mourinho at ManU.

You seen how much money Liverpool have literally chucked down the toilet recently?

SandyB (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 23:36
Quote:
Jonny Bravo
Alisson

Alisson is pretty error prone, his strong point is distribution not worth half of that kinda money.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 23:51
We will finish above Liverpool.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 22:40
Liverpool will win the league. Am always right with these predictions.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
20 July, 2018 09:37
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
Jonny Bravo
Alisson

Alisson is pretty error prone, his strong point is distribution not worth half of that kinda money.

He's still a massive improvement on all their current keepers, which has been by far their biggest weakness for several years now.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
20 July, 2018 10:10
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
Jonny Bravo
Alisson

He's still a massive improvement on all their current keepers, which has been by far their biggest weakness for several years now.

This.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
20 July, 2018 12:03
Yeah Leni and Cech are better....

Leno is already making mistakes against pub teams and he's been here 2 minutes. There's a stat that he's the worst shot stopper in the top 5 leagues, I think we shoupd be worrying about this!

Goofle (IP Logged)
20 July, 2018 16:18
He cost 70mil and will save them about 10 goals a season. So they spend 70mil on basically no change in their fortunes.

Kalela (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 02:51
I don't know if they will win the league or not next season but Keita and Fabinho are awesome additions for their midfield.

We don't have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap - Arsene Wenger

SuperRob (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 19:19
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Leno is already making mistakes against pub teams and he's been here 2 minutes. There's a stat that he's the worst shot stopper in the top 5 leagues, I think we shoupd be worrying about this!

Oh God... Here we go again. Every time we concede you'll be starting a thread... (Sm100)

Anyway, can you give something specific about this "stat" that makes him the worst shot stopper in the top 5 leagues? Otherwise I'm just going to assume that it's made up.

Arsenal now place a lot of emphasis on stats when making transfer decisions now, so I'd find it surprising if they would have bought a player who was statistically the worst in the top 5 leagues at something.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 21:37
If i don't rate a player everyone should be worried end of story!

grayfox1 (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 23:10
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

Oh God... Here we go again. Every time we concede you'll be starting a thread... (Sm100)

grinning smiley
(Sm164)

Quote:
SuperRob
Anyway, can you give something specific about this "stat" that makes him the worst shot stopper in the top 5 leagues? Otherwise I'm just going to assume that it's made up.

Source: optasinghstat - dumbest web page on the planet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net