football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Emery will never win a title with Arsenal FC
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 08:20
Ray Parlour has claimed Arsenal will never win the league under new manager Unai Emery, and noted that the strength of Manchester City is their main stumbling block.

He also added that Arsenal need to make sure they finish in the top four, and managing to do that would constitute a good season for them.

“I would love him to do it (win the league), but I’m going to say no,” Parlour told talkSPORT this morning.

“I think Man City are going to get stronger and stronger, and I think Pep Guardiola is going to stick around.

“I can’t see who’s going to challenge them.

[www.101greatgoals.com]

Deja vu.

Like in 1996 "Arsene who?" and who is this unknown going to beat Ferguson's Mighty ManU?

'I like the total intensification, where there are crashes and bangs everywhere, pure adrenaline and no one being able to breathe' Jurgen Klopp.

Re: Emery will never win a title with Arsenal FC
mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 08:23
Never say never. Unai will find a way.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 08:56
Just rebuild and wait to pounce. There is bound to be a chance in the next 3 years when the top teams will fumble. EPL has always been interesting and nowadays the fapl ref panels try to make sure it is interesting.

It is also difficult to maintain the hunger of you have already won this. Citys main goal next season is champions league. Expect Liverpool and utd to push city

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/05/2018 02:08 by CazOnARola.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 09:16
Yes, we must be ready to pounce when those teams are fully focused on CL Cup.

The advantage of playing Europa Cup is that we can field two teams in the early rounds, giving our reserves and youngsters a run out with senior team fully focused on league football.

Look at our current 25-man squad with at least 12 of them homegrown players to EUFA Rule:

1 - Cech
2 - Ospina
3 - #1 Macey
4 - #2 Bellerin

5 - Koscielny
6 - Mustafi
7 - Monreal
8 - Kolasinac
9 - #3 Chambers
10- #4 Holding

11- Mavropanos
12- Ozil
13- Mkhitaryan
14- #5 Ramsey
15- Xhaka
16- Elneny
17- #6 Wilshere
18- #7 Maitland-Niles

19- Aubameyang
20- Lacazette
21- #8 Welbeck
22- #9 Iwobi
23- #10 Nketiah

24- #11 homegrown player?
25- #12 homegorwn player?

If Wilshere, Ramsey, Welbeck and Chambers are to leave, we will struggle to fill our quota of 1 2no. homegrown players in Europa Cup squad.

In current squad, we still have 2 spots for hoemgrown players which can be filled by Nelson, Joe Willock and even Ben Sheaf.

I see us buying British players - maybe one or two bargains like Jonny Evans or even sign Luke Shaw from ManU?

'I like the total intensification, where there are crashes and bangs everywhere, pure adrenaline and no one being able to breathe' Jurgen Klopp.

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 12:24
Sometimes I wish all these ex players will just shut up. We were on a fast decline, stagnated for years yet none of them could speak the truth that Wenger needed to go. Finally a new era begins and they are suddenly spreading negativity.

I am sick to death listening to whatever their opinions are.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

younghansolo (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 13:18
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
Sometimes I wish all these ex players will just shut up. We were on a fast decline, stagnated for years yet none of them could speak the truth that Wenger needed to go. Finally a new era begins and they are suddenly spreading negativity.
I am sick to death listening to whatever their opinions are.

I'd rather listen to those players who've been there and done it more than some of the oekoek on here and certainly some pundits who've never win a thing. People like Parlour, keown, Dixon have a view we should listen to. They've actually done it.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 15:34
This is typical spin, Emery is not main issue here, Ray is saying that Man City are a massive obstacle, well that’s true isn’t it? Unless Arsenal invest massively in Players then it’s unlikely we will overtake them. It s just a fact of life no need to tell Ray to shut up, the guy talks a lot of sense.
The bookies money will be on Pep, but who knows there is always a chance of a slip up

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

SandyB (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 15:47
Quote:
Emery will never win a title with Arsenal FC
Curse of Arsene Wenger!!

Bergmars (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 20:56
As is usual a negative spin is applied to a question there is only one answer to Man City will probably keep buying the EPL so obviously the answer is no

Under new managment

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 23:27
Abramovich and Mourinho started buying the titles ... and 3 years later, Ferguson hit back.

Abu Dhabi started buying the titles ... and if Leicester City and COnte Chelski can shocked Abu Dhabi City, then so can other EPL teams too.

Otherwise EPL will go the way of Bundesliga, La Lique, La Liga, non-competitive and TV broadcasting revenues will decline ... which means declining revenues for those Sugar Daddy teams.

Why EPL is so lucrative is the competitive nature of EPL and not a one or two horse race league.

It is in the interest of EPL to keep it competitive and not goes the way of Formula One with Mercedes domineering and the rest a distance second. Fans like me had lost interest and switched off the TV.

SandyB (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 00:45
City isn’t gonna win the league next season, couple of seasons back when Chelsea won it everyone said they are the team gonna win it next season but it doesn’t happen that way but that doesn’t mean Arsenal is gonna win it next season. I think if Emery can start building the team in next couple of seasons n can come up with couple of top players then it’s anybody’s guess! Not next season but good chance in 3 years.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 13:38
For me in this money era all i desperately want the cl. And watching how close Liverpool came shows me it can be done. The legaue is so difficult because of them money available now but a cup competition is anyone's game

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 15:48
Quote:
younghansolo
For me in this money era all i desperately want the cl. And watching how close Liverpool came shows me it can be done. The legaue is so difficult because of them money available now but a cup competition is anyone's game
Agreed plus it's the thing that's missing from the trophy cabinet.

But most of all, i miss us just playing good football. It's not about scoring goals, i mean technically doing the right thing offensively and defensively.

And not being pushed over against the big teams.

This is something I'm expecting but the end of the first season. Cause if he can't instill discipline by the end of next season, then we have not solved much

SandyB (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 17:44
Quote:
younghansolo
It’s much easier to win the English league than winning CL, mate. Leicester won the league n it’s impossible for a team like Leicester to go anywhere close to CL. Even heavyweights like Bayern, PSG, Juve not getting close in CL nowadays it’s all about Madrid n Barca.

SandyB (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 17:45
wengerites n ex-players are at it again!!
Why not they sit tight for a while n see what happens.

tigerline (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 18:11
Quote:
SandyB
wengerites n ex-players are at it again!! Why not they sit tight for a while n see what happens.

wengerism is a disease ... we should have surgically removed it long ago before it metastasized.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 18:29
Predicting the future is just guesswork. So called "experts" usually have a lower success rate at prediction than random guesses.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 21:06
We all remember when the Arsenal players didn't let egos get into the way of winning the CL don't we?
Anyway most of us were more fearful of Wenger hanging on longer than he did.
Strange that ego didn't get in way of winning a treble something else Arsenal have never done. Got a feeling the Triumvarate won't be too sympathetic to big egos and will back the manager

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

no1 gazza fan (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 00:47
Much easier ?

Complete rubbish (imo)

you could argue that Arsenal never won it due to a historic gap in style and maybe other foreign teams benefitting from winter break and a less intense league season

However now days I think that GAP is closed

Madrid were average in the group stages and Liverpool should have given them a better game in the final

Liverpool won a CL and got to a final with a team not good enough to win the league by a fair few points (as did Chelsea with their Park the bus counter Attack)

You get a few freak events like Porto winning CL and Leicester winning the league, bit CL seems a more likely target for teams like us Arsenal and Liverpool in my opinion

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa146/no1gazzafan/VDVmegs.gif

no, put your wallet away Jack, that was too easy

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 02:58
League is always going to be tougher cause you need to be consistent over the course of the 38 games and a few great performances don't suffice.

But having said that, CL is no differen now. Madrid let liverpool play the way they did. Right from the first min,, madrud played were chipping the ball over the front 4 of Liverpool and mostly kept the ball on the sides on the wing, which thwarted liverpool s biggest threat which is transitions.

This is what Zidane and mourinho teams do. When you have got top class players, you don't need to commit men to create chances. Throughout the knockouts, they have been scoring with touches from 3/4 players.

I had a bet with my brother that if liverpool don't score in the first 30 min, madrid would win. Thanks to karius it was a lot easier. But trust me, they would have found a way to score with bale and asensio, if the game was a stalemate.

Plus the energy that klopp teams expend, they would be shot by extra time. So Zidane got his tactics spot on.

This is exactly why they have won 3 in a row. They just need 3/4 players in ronaldo/benzema/marcelo/modric to combine to score without it even looking like a chance.

Many are even aerial one touch passes which are impossible to defend, like marcelos goal against bayern.

The quality of barca/madrid/bayern/juventus is so high, it's almost as difficult as winning the league now. Just look at the past decade.

Its worth noting, liverpool didn't have to beat any of the above teams to get to the final

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/05/2018 04:40 by CazOnARola.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 18:12
Yes and having a dirty barsteward like Ramos helps

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 20:14
Quote:
Padre Pio

Yes, but we lack someone like that in our team.

We need our own b.astard if we want to win.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

tigerline (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 20:48
Quote:
Optimistic Gunner
Quote:
Padre Pio

Yes, but we lack someone like that in our team.

We need our own b.astard if we want to win.

We need a more RUTHLESS approach

no1 gazza fan (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 10:14
Liverpool beat the runaway Prem winners comfortably over two legs

Juventus scraped past us, an inexperienced CL team and Barca and Bayern don’t look the same force right now that they have done in previous CL campaigns.
Some of the Barca teams that won the CL were phenomenal

I still think a manager could take Mourihno or DI Matteos tactics and win a CL with a side not in your list of greats with a Little luck in a couple of legs over the knock out stages

Quote:
CazOnARola
League is always going to be tougher cause you need to be consistent over the course of the 38 games and a few great performances don't suffice.
But having said that, CL is no differen now. Madrid let liverpool play the way they did. Right from the first min,, madrud played were chipping the ball over the front 4 of Liverpool and mostly kept the ball on the sides on the wing, which thwarted liverpool s biggest threat which is transitions.

This is what Zidane and mourinho teams do. When you have got top class players, you don't need to commit men to create chances. Throughout the knockouts, they have been scoring with touches from 3/4 players.

I had a bet with my brother that if liverpool don't score in the first 30 min, madrid would win. Thanks to karius it was a lot easier. But trust me, they would have found a way to score with bale and asensio, if the game was a stalemate.

Plus the energy that klopp teams expend, they would be shot by extra time. So Zidane got his tactics spot on.

This is exactly why they have won 3 in a row. They just need 3/4 players in ronaldo/benzema/marcelo/modric to combine to score without it even looking like a chance.

Many are even aerial one touch passes which are impossible to defend, like marcelos goal against bayern.

The quality of barca/madrid/bayern/juventus is so high, it's almost as difficult as winning the league now. Just look at the past decade.

Its worth noting, liverpool didn't have to beat any of the above teams to get to the final

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa146/no1gazzafan/VDVmegs.gif

no, put your wallet away Jack, that was too easy

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 13:11
Quote:
no1 gazza fan
Liverpool beat the runaway Prem winners comfortably over two legs
Juventus scraped past us, an inexperienced CL team and Barca and Bayern don’t look the same force right now that they have done in previous CL campaigns.
Some of the Barca teams that won the CL were phenomenal

I still think a manager could take Mourihno or DI Matteos tactics and win a CL with a side not in your list of greats with a Little luck in a couple of legs over the knock out stages

Quote:
CazOnARola

Yes it's much more plausible than winning the league, but my point was that it is also a lot more difficult than it used to be and the concentration of wealth and world class players in a few teams has made it so.

The teams that i mentioned are not the sides they used to be but are still better than most others r in Europe. Plus their players have the experience of winning such matches and that is why they scrape through.

SandyB (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 13:29
I think people seems to start underestimating the Champion's league a bit since Madrid winning it 3 times a row n Liverpool making to final. Arsene Wenger qualified for CL for 20 years n maximum went to one final. CL is a tactical tournament highly favoring the big teams who can scrap a tie over two legs. Tottenham is qualifying for it past few seasons n by now should understand going past CL 1st knockout stage is actually a big big ask. Man United easily finished 2nd in the league but lost Sevilla, this shows the unpredictability of the competition unless your team is heavily balanced n well experienced to win every knockout two legged ties winning the competition is impossible.
People like Roman Abramovic throw their fortune towards winning this trophy n won it just once. Richest of owners in PSG n City are still throwing their fortunes towards winning it n the trophy is still elusive. CL is so far the toughest trophy to win n I can bet my house Tottenham can't go past SF stage in years to come let alone winning it.
Also, you should notice that in recent history of CL some relatively light weight teams like Dortmund, Atletico, this season Liverpool made it to the final but still lost to the heavyweights. CL is heavily front loaded trophy towards heavyweights far more difficult than winning any European league.

Goofle (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 13:41
Quote:
Padre Pio

Not sure why Ramos is getting so much grief for being grabbed by Salah. Kinda weird.

He is a bit of a dirty player like 95% of all good players though.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 16:59
Quote:
SandyB
I think people seems to start underestimating the Champion's league a bit since Madrid winning it 3 times a row n Liverpool making to final. Arsene Wenger qualified for CL for 20 years n maximum went to one final. CL is a tactical tournament highly favoring the big teams who can scrap a tie over two legs. Tottenham is qualifying for it past few seasons n by now should understand going past CL 1st knockout stage is actually a big big ask. Man United easily finished 2nd in the league but lost Sevilla, this shows the unpredictability of the competition unless your team is heavily balanced n well experienced to win every knockout two legged ties winning the competition is impossible.
People like Roman Abramovic throw their fortune towards winning this trophy n won it just once. Richest of owners in PSG n City are still throwing their fortunes towards winning it n the trophy is still elusive. CL is so far the toughest trophy to win n I can bet my house Tottenham can't go past SF stage in years to come let alone winning it.
Also, you should notice that in recent history of CL some relatively light weight teams like Dortmund, Atletico, this season Liverpool made it to the final but still lost to the heavyweights. CL is heavily front loaded trophy towards heavyweights far more difficult than winning any European league.
Exactly. Liverpool would have found it though to progress had they met juventus and bayern on the way, that's my humble opinion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 17:00 by CazOnARola.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net