football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Make no mistake Unai Emery is a stop gap signing
SandyB (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 00:35
Unai Emery probably a very good signing considering the circumstances of current arsenal squad, cautious n stingy owner n most importantly the club is in major transition after years of stagnation n finally on downward slope.
I'd classify him at per with Manuel Pellegrini, Rafa Benitez n a better signing than Brandon Rogers. He's your no frill no nonsense kinda head coach not a flamboyant manager.
He's here to build the team, shape up the squad to speed not the guy to walk you away with the league title. I expect much better performance in next season Europa.
Few things of caution, he isn't your tactical genius of Diego Someone but to be honest I'd prefer him over Antonio conte. He made a blunder by dropping Thiago Silva against Madrid in CL 1st leg when PSG let in two goals due to the mistake of rookie CB.
Folks have to be patient with him, hope he brings in a very good coaching team.

Edit: I want Thierry Henry to be Emery's assistant if he wants the job
Edit 2: Guillem Balague
Edit 3: Having a chat with my Spuds buddy n I told him, we are always result oriented folks n Emery is hands down better than Mauricio Pochettino, just compare the numbers, having said that I acknowledge that Emery has much more difficult task at hand compared to Pochettino.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 22/05/2018 04:45 by SandyB.

Re: Make no mistake Unai Emery is a stop gap signing
Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 00:37
Unai Emery is not the "bold choice" Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis had promised would succeed Arsene Wenger.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

SandyB (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 00:40
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Unai Emery is not the "bold choice" Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis had promised would succeed Arsene Wenger.
The bold choice was f***ing Arteta or even bolder Steve Bould (Sm105)

Bergmars (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 06:13
We wanted we've got it back the guy lets hope the board do also interesting to see players reactions.

A shadow of what we were

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 08:13
Thanks Sandy got the balague link. If unai is half as demanding as being projected by balague, then it's exactly what arsenal need right now. We need discipline and work ethics. All the pansies who don't fancy it can leave.

Back the manager. I don't think we have any john terry s in the team to lead a player revolt so i expect ppl to fall in line

I'm excited.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 10:52
I don't have any feelings towards this guy. He's underwhelming. But to be honest there's only maybe two guys out there I expect to be our manager for more than two years.
However, I', not expecting Emery to win anything in those two years. He may get a top four place though.

Shane (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 11:21
Mourinho, Guardiola and Klopp are also stop-gaps. They are at United, City and Liverpool on a temporary basis and I'd be surprised if all three are still there by 2020.

Mourinho and Guardiola are gone next summer if United and City have the same seasons as they've just had, which I think is very possible, and Klopp's situation will be reviewed if Liverpool are scraping a top-four finish on the last day of the season for the fourth year in a row next term, especially if they lose the Champions League.

Emery is a stop-gap until someone better is available but that's the same M.O as the other big clubs in England operate with.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 12:01
Thsts M. O. in life today. This is how every business is behaving. It's cut throat and result oriented. There are no excuses allowed for not achieving your targets set by your bosses.

Football is like any other business now

SandyB (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 12:57
Quote:
Shane
Mourinho, Guardiola and Klopp are also stop-gaps. They are at United, City and Liverpool on a temporary basis and I'd be surprised if all three are still there by 2020.
Mourinho and Guardiola are gone next summer if United and City have the same seasons as they've just had, which I think is very possible, and Klopp's situation will be reviewed if Liverpool are scraping a top-four finish on the last day of the season for the fourth year in a row next term, especially if they lose the Champions League.

Emery is a stop-gap until someone better is available but that's the same M.O as the other big clubs in England operate with.
No it doesn’t mean that, dude. Man United hired Mou to win the league so did city which he already did. Same thing goes to Klopp n Liverpool none of them are stop gap.
As I said in many threads before that either your understanding of the game is severely lacking or you are in a serious denial like Wenger to believe that current team is league winning squad they aren’t. Emery is stop gap coz he’s a head coach who has been hired to build a modern day football team n he isn’t your Carlo Ancelotti or Max Allegri which folks were craving for who walks into the team with a promise to win something big otherwise they are off.
The point is Emery might pleasantly surprise me by doing better than his target but winning the league isn’t his KPI at the moment, mate. That’s why I called him stop gap, mate.
Also, the new structure means club is moving into KPI based systems like most other proper football club does from a dictator running it for life without one. That’s right direction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/05/2018 13:07 by SandyB.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 15:48
Ferguson and Wenger are dinosaurs of a bygone era.
One is savvy enough to leave before being booted out ... the other is plain deluded.

Notice that Guardiola and Mourinho are never stayer of more than 4 years with any one stint.
Both are winners.

Klopp will not last more than 4 years if he cannot deliver the title duirng his current stint.

Mourinho?
Waiting to be sacked and earn a windfall ... like at CHelski.

Conte?
WHo is left to replace him - Agerri or Sarri?

Zidane?
WHo will replace him?

Bayern Munich?
Has they appointed a new manager yet?

How do we define a stop-gap measure?
An interim manager or coach warming the seat for the preferred choice to take up the reins next season?
If we remain in mid-table medocricty in 2018/19 season - how long will Emery last?

But going by his track records and with the Arsenal Trinity backing him up to impose his authority inside the dressing room, culling all deadwoods and underperformers, bringin in new players to form the nucleus of anew Arsenal team, I think Emery will be a successful Arsenal Manager with a KPI of being a Top-4 team within 2 years and to win the title and/or CL CUp within 4 years.

'In the end the most satisfying solution is the one where you have cleared everything away and there is no solution at all any more, at the same time, the problem has been solved. That's the nicest way of doing it.'
Brilliant Orange [2010]

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 16:38
Bold meaning stupid perhaps

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 19:18
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
Shane

No it doesn’t mean that, dude. Man United hired Mou to win the league so did city which he already did. Same thing goes to Klopp n Liverpool none of them are stop gap.
As I said in many threads before that either your understanding of the game is severely lacking or you are in a serious denial like Wenger to believe that current team is league winning squad they aren’t. Emery is stop gap coz he’s a head coach who has been hired to build a modern day football team n he isn’t your Carlo Ancelotti or Max Allegri which folks were craving for who walks into the team with a promise to win something big otherwise they are off.
The point is Emery might pleasantly surprise me by doing better than his target but winning the league isn’t his KPI at the moment, mate. That’s why I called him stop gap, mate.
Also, the new structure means club is moving into KPI based systems like most other proper football club does from a dictator running it for life without one. That’s right direction.
I think it's partly incorrect. In hindsight the kpi did look like it was to be in top 4. And wenger got fired once it failed twice. It doesn't look like the top brass at arsenal had winning the league as the top priority for a long time.
At least till, 2012-1014,it does look like the top brass were happy with a top 4. Possibly further considering they waited till this season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/05/2018 19:23 by CazOnARola.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 20:04
Quote:
Shane

When did Shane become a super Troll?

SandyB (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 20:12
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
Shane

I think it's partly incorrect. In hindsight the kpi did look like it was to be in top 4. And wenger got fired once it failed twice. It doesn't look like the top brass at arsenal had winning the league as the top priority for a long time.
At least till, 2012-1014,it does look like the top brass were happy with a top 4. Possibly further considering they waited till this season.

No it wasn't at least it wasn't since his last two contracts. When a manager remains in the club for 22 years n allowed to build the team Arsene Wenger-Mark VXII, Mark VVVXXI, god knows how many generations of rebuilding. Then were allowed to spend more than 100m on two strikers last season and then few more 100m in last couple of seasons with marquee signings like Ozil, Sanchez or not so marquee signings like Xhaka, Mustafi etc etc then the KPI can't be just finishing in top 4. That's the self-made KPI he set n made DeTimes n many other folks alike to believe that's the KPI should be. That was never his KPI n he couldn't even keep is self challenged KPI for past two seasons.

Before you shot me down by saying partially those money Arsenal recouped by selling players well selling players that club already have on their book means club has already spent more than that on them on transfer n wages. That's how the entire football world as well as any business works.

The point is going forward those kinda self-made Wenger KPI days are gone n everybody including the new manager Emery has to work within a predetermined KPI n Emery's KPI can't be set too high of winning the league in next season.

The anger of a part of the fan base on Wenger which started since 2007-08 is much more complex ask people like padre, hippo or bergmars or karsene or celine, PK it wasn't just due to his failure to win the league, it was due to his stubbornness not sorting things of out when everybody could see title challenge is slipping, his lies, spin, continuous shift of goal posts n abject failure to acknowledge the big humiliations of big defeats, Basically there is no end of it...the complexity aggravated when we were told off by some cult like support base some of them still exist (well shano isn't actually one of them (Sm105) ),

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 20:41
Err.. Didn't you read the part about the arsenals top brass,? And the year 2012-2013?

I didn't say anything about the fans and whether the kpi were correct. I just said imho since the move to the emirates, the kpi looked like it was just to bring in X amount of money to pay the short term loan for highbury redevelopment which needed be paid back in 5-6 years. That is above the long term stadium debt, im not talking about that one.
How the club achieved that target didn't really look like the concern. Be it through player sales /endorsements, /winning stuff,whatever it may be. Several ppl publicly admitted they were investing less money pre 2014 when sanchez was being signed and we spent 100mn. How wenger spent whatever was given, is not what I'm contending. He obv didn't do the best job considering we always faded march onwards.

Post ozil era is when there were more expectations to me.

I'm not saying it was the right thing to do. Wenger was only fired because he failed again and they were going to lose revenue from tickets if season tickets weren't renewed, plus some leverage for the new endorsement deals.

I would have been surprised if he was fired after making the top 4 this season or the season before as champions league also entitles thr club to charge higher prices compared to europa, where they adjusted the ticket prices

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/05/2018 21:06 by CazOnARola.

SandyB (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 22:01
There were zillion discussions about the stadium debt thingy here n all over the social media those days, here epic Radio vs Rockstaar debate with eduardo's spin on the topic. All Wenger did those days were guarding the old custodians behind stadium loan while they were selling there grandfather's gift to Stan Kroenke. So saying stuff like this is pretty simplistic view which he sold to some fans later. Wenger penny pinching on a CB purchase or a goalkeeper on 2009-10, 2010-11 seasons which anybody could have seen resulting blowing the title challenge off is all there in history book.

Quote:
I just said imho since the move to the emirates, the kpi looked like it was just to bring in X amount of money to pay the short term loan for highbury redevelopment which needed be paid back in 5-6 years. That is above the long term stadium debt, im not talking about that one.
How the club achieved that target didn't really look like the concern.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 04:30
Quote:
SandyB
There were zillion discussions about the stadium debt thingy here n all over the social media those days, here epic Radio vs Rockstaar debate with eduardo's spin on the topic. All Wenger did those days were guarding the old custodians behind stadium loan while they were selling there grandfather's gift to Stan Kroenke. So saying stuff like this is pretty simplistic view which he sold to some fans later. Wenger penny pinching on a CB purchase or a goalkeeper on 2009-10, 2010-11 seasons which anybody could have seen resulting blowing the title challenge off is all there in history book.
Quote:
I just said imho since the move to the emirates, the kpi looked like it was just to bring in X amount of money to pay the short term loan for highbury redevelopment which needed be paid back in 5-6 years. That is above the long term stadium debt, im not talking about that one.
How the club achieved that target didn't really look like the concern.
They keep harping on the stadium debt to fool the fans, but the fact was the sub prime crisis in usa and its fallout ultimately made highbury redevelopment a useless proposition which added the biggest short term financial strain. And you seem to not get the point that I'm making, which is the people running the club were complicit and let wenger run the club that way, cause they did not want to invest a single penny in the squad. They were happy with top 4 which tells you that was his kpi. They always said the money was available cause that's what you do in a business, that's what i would have done cause officially thsts anyways what your say. You cab never go out and say we will keep selling players to balance the books for the next 5 years. Thats just bad PR. They should have fired him years ago, around 2010, but they didn't cause it he was obv meeting their requirements or kpi.

And if thsts not the case and the club hierarchy were desperate to win, then it is evrb more diabolical that the freak show continue for so long.

What is exactly your argument? Are u saying that the kpi and target was always to win the league, even post 2005, but inspite wengers failure to do that, the club hierarchy continued to back him for 13 more years because they believed in him?
Half of those were also kronke years. So even the new regime didnt do anything until top 4 disappeared.

Why the @#$%& was he given a new contract again last year.

SandyB (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 05:04
They redevelop highbury in the custodian era then the custodians aka Fiszman, Hillwood, Lady Nina sold the club to Kroenke on a premium n before that Wenger’s friend David Dein sold to Usmanov all making fortunes out of the club, it was nothing to do with stadium debt while Wenger was their willing partner all along making big bucks with absolutely no pressure whatsoever.

As I said this topic people discussed zillion times at the time of happening n till Kroenke fully took over the club from PHW. We all know Wenger was a silent party in the entire process, nothing he did was for stadium debt or sacrifice. Anyway, let bygones be bygones can’t be bothered to play the same song over again. Let’s move on from the dark spin n lies.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/05/2018 05:07 by SandyB.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 06:05
Quote:
Shane

This lets stop sniping and see what unfolds.

A shadow of what we were

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 06:28
Thinking about this, whether he is a stop gap or not, I think experience wise, he is better than Arteta and time will tell if he would do for us what Wenger could not do.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Shane (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 18:11
Quote:
karsene16
Quote:
Shane

What's contentious about this mate?

kudzif01 (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 18:15
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
Thinking about this, whether he is a stop gap or not, I think experience wise, he is better than Arteta and time will tell if he would do for us what Wenger could not do.

He has experience but nothing inspiring.People but do you honestly think he is better than Mourinho, klopp, pochettino ,and Guardiola . I don't.

Everyone keeps going on about his Europa league wins but there was a reason he was in the Europa he could not make it out of the champions league group stage, and he sacrificed the league for the competition on some occasions which he cannot afford to do in the EPL.

He will solidly have us fighting for 5th nothing else.I hope to be wrong and will support him ,but i think we are going nowhere with him.

SandyB (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 18:44
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
karsene16
Quote:
Shane

Always a troll, actually mega troll, if people say DeTimes a troll then shano says stuff much more outrageous than DeTimes. His boyhood love for Wenger made him blind on many things like when Guardiola left Barca after winning shitload of trophies he strongly argued Guardiola has to prove somewhere else before being considered to replace Wenger, said similar stuff about Klopp, I think about many other managers. Even few weeks back he was arguing that Wenger will land some kinda massive job somewhere n prove everyone wrong. We all know now where all the Wenger offers are coming from!! There is a reason I call him dumbo or gunnersing call him football dumbo but seriously that’s not the case he’s very intelligent guy but either he’s a massive troll or has massive mental block regarding Wenger (Sm22)

karsene16 (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 18:58
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
karsene16
Quote:
Shane

Gap stops don't win trohpies. Guardiola won the league, if Klopp beats Real he's not a gap stop. When you're at a top club you're supposed to achieve the league or champions league. The term gap stop in Sandy's case is the notion that Emery won't win any top trophies, not that he's going to be what Moyes was to Everton.

Shane (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 20:27
A stopgap is a short-term solution to a problem Karsene.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 20:55
Quote:
Shane
A stopgap is a short-term solution to a problem Karsene.

We have to take the nature of football in consideration, So by your statement what is the short term solution to the problems at Man utd, City and Liverpool.

Shane (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 21:31
It wasn't a statement. That's what a stopgap is.

If Man City hire Guardiola and spend £500 million in a two-year period, which they have done, then it's because they want success now, not by 2021.

If Man United hire a manager who is renowned for either quitting or being sacked from managerial roles within three years then that too is a clear example of acting with a short-term interest as the priority.

Liverpool had to put a little more emphasis on the long term because a lot more work needed to be done, but is he going to be Liverpool's manager in the long term? I wouldn't have thought so. The only way to guarantee your job at a top club is by winning things on a regular basis but no English club wins anything on a regular basis, season after season, and that's when heads roll.

I'm not sure it's possible for all three of these to even be in charge in the long term because success for one generally means failure for the other two, and we already know how top clubs in England react to failure. They press reset and start again with a different manager. It's all about the short term.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/05/2018 21:32 by Shane.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 21:53
You can plan Unai Emery to be here for 10 years, if he's battling relegation for two seasons he's out.
You can plan Emery to be here for one season, if he does well he'll get offered another six years and then get sacked if he flops like Ranieri.

The only basic suggestion of this thread was Emery is not the man to take us forward and keep us stagnated which is an opinion Sandy can make

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 13:17
Actually, Gazidis has a free hand now to setup a business model with line functions reporting to the CEO with specialists running various departments.

Sanllehi is Director of Operations, overall in charge running the business side.
Mislintat is Director of Procurement, overall in charge of procuring raw materials.

Emery is Director of Production, overall in charge of refining and producing all raw materials into finished products, an Arsenal Team. In football term, a Head Coach.

As long as the production line is running and producing excellent products, with Director of Operations churning profits, why should Gazidis gets rid of him?

Under this business model, it is result oriented and no more parasitic production director living on past glory with the Chairman's slurping snake-oil dished out by him.

'In the end the most satisfying solution is the one where you have cleared everything away and there is no solution at all any more, at the same time, the problem has been solved. That's the nicest way of doing it.'
Brilliant Orange [2010]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net