football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Unai Emeri is our new Manager
younghansolo (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 19:55
Ornstein reported for BBC just now.
Apparently he doesn't speak very good English.

Some Reports Arteta could be his number two.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2018 20:24 by Padre Pio.

Re: Unai Emeri is our new Manager
PKGooner (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 20:05
#Emeriout

Gunners R Us (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 20:19
Good addition.

Hard to judge his PSG tenure. Beaten in league by an incredible Monaco team but won trophies throughout the two years.

Made Seville a great cup team.

Looking forward to the change.

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 20:20
Better than Arteta, though his PSG side didn't seem that solid defensively, especially when I saw then in the CL (remember them losing 6-1 to Barca even though they had a 4-0 lead?).

Still like I said before any one would be better than having Wenger continuing and as now we can finally go to a season not knowing how it is going to end up, for better or for worse.

We can also finally hope for real again.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

TonyStark (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 20:41
smileys with beer

Flava (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 20:50
I don’t know anything about him. I’m underwhelmed but hey, let’s see what he can do

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 20:50
Wow!! Didn't see this one coming. Let's what Arsenal.com reports

Was he fired from PSG?? If so, it will make me a bit uncomfortable.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2018 20:53 by AJ The Gunner.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 20:59
He came to the end of his psg contract and they chose not to extend it despite him winning the treble last year.

I was first impressed by him way back when he was valencia manager

Shane (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 21:00
Better than Arteta, worse than Allegri, but I'll have him.

tigerline (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 21:01
Have any of our current squad played for him before?

With the growing Dortmund influence at our club, it is ironic that Tuchel replaced Emery at PSG.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 21:08
Will he make us defend better ?
I'm not so sure.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

21 May, 2018 21:14
Sure it's not Dick Emery we've got ?

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 21:29
Is it true that he didn't win an away game in his last season at Sevilla??? Don't know much about him.

I know PSG flattered to deceive in the CL. He couldn't hold a 4:0 lead against Barca. I really don't know if he can improve our already shambolic defense.

He also had superstars in PSG unlike what we have here at Arsenal and the board only has £50million available for transfer.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2018 22:05 by AJ The Gunner.

SandyB (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 21:34
Make Arsenal great again!! (Sm152)

tigerline (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 21:37
Does Emery have a preferred formation that we can expect to see here?

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 21:46
He worked wonders with Valencia and then Sevilla. I don't think PSG was a job for him, but hey, PSG won 15 of the last 16 domestic trophies (although not all with Emery at the helm).

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 21:52
[quote Boston Gooner]Sure it's not Dick Emery we've got ?[/quote. Showing your age ha ha. Won domestic treble with PSG. Won three Europa cups with Sevilla, sacked. For poor L season but on that basis Wenger would have gone years ago. Could be a good appointment

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

SandyB (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 22:11
On a funny thought if he can't speak English then probably now on wards Gazidis will do all the press conference.. imagine!! (Sm6)

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 22:22
Wouldn't be allowed, would have an interpreter. AppRently he understands English very well. His speaking will need need to improve

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 22:45
Pochettino didn't speak English when she arrived either.

I'm sure half the players don't either.

Shane (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 22:49
Boston Gooner gave Pochettino English lessons in return for Tottenham tickets.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 23:07
Quote:
Shane
Better than Arteta, worse than Allegri, but I'll have him.

Tom will be disappointed he didn't get Arteta. (Sm145)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2018 23:09 by mapleleafgooner.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 23:32
Quote:
tigerline

I think he prefers 4-3-3 but he can adapt his tactics as seen by Sevilla in the europa league. What I like about his teams is they press and play with tactical discipline.

Am excited by this news tbh.

I've got a hunch that Saul or Rabiot will be his first signing.

22 May, 2018 00:13
Hope I'm wrong but the more I read about the guy can see this not working out.

22 May, 2018 00:17
Quote:
Shane
Boston Gooner gave Pochettino English lessons in return for Tottenham tickets.

Don't you be giving Dick Emery Wengerite lessons.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 00:24
Actually satisfied with this as Arteta would have been a joke.

Emery is a winner but the board still need to back him. I doubt he could do a worse job than Wenger, but equally it won't be easy doing a better one without adding to this shower of shite squad he's left behind.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

litmus (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 02:02
I am glad that its not Arteta. There was a reason Emery was given the much coveted PSG job when it was available. I remember when he was at Valencia way back then, Valencia was one of the teams that constantly challenged the Real-Barca dominance.

Allegri was my first choice, but I am quite happy with this appoitnment. Lets give the guy a chance. At least he is a proven and accomplished manager with top experience.

22 May, 2018 03:54
Good choice imo. Right level of experience with a winning record in the league and Europe. An astonishing feat to win 3 Europa titles consecutively. Wenger didn't even win one. Neither did Arteta. And Emery is able to do so because he is detail oriented and prepares his team tactically depending on the opponent. Similar to Benitez. He gives video homework to his players via USB stick so they show up for practice ready. At PSG with the likes of Neymar and Cavani, his methods didn't go down too well. Too many prima donnas who think they have nothing to learn. But I think the Arsenal bunch will be alot more receptive to his methods which will be a massive departure from the casual training approach adopted by Wenger. For a start, it will improve each player. Add TH14 as the assistant coach and we have a pretty solid coaching team. TH14 can help Emery with the language as Emery's English is very weak at this time.

I am looking forward to the start of the new season. (Sm61)

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 05:28
I'm happy we have someone now. Let's get cracking on the signings. He is more attack minded and i dont mind that. Let's judge him in May tongue sticking out smiley

Bergmars (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 05:55
Good luck and best wishes lets back him.

A shadow of what we were

weedz (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 07:04
Quote:
tigerline

I found this yesterday- [youtu.be]

younghansolo (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 10:49
I'm definitely glad it isn't Arteta.

However, this guy seems like a bit of a attention to detail freak which I'm not sure will suit us.

Apparently he makes the players spend hours and hours watching game footage of their opponents, to the extent that some players said they spend more time watching videos than on the turning pitch.

On the surface that sounds great that he wants them to prepare. But think about that. Arsene told them to go out an express themselves. That's what they've been brought up on. This will be a massive shift for the players. And although I want our players to actually be prepared for the opposition (which they definitely haven't been e.g. Robben!!!) but I don't want them to only focus on the opposition. They need to focus on themselves and expressing their football.

His CV isn't bad, but it does have huge gaping holes in it. Let's see. I'm excited for a new era, but only if he brings in some decent players and does;t play the likes of Iwobi every week.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 12:43
Rather than believing what a few disgruntled ex players may have said or not, we need to give the guy a chance.

I'm fine with extra attention to detail because we've had nothing in terms of tactics for at least a decade. Anyone would think we didn't know Stoke and West Brom might lump balls into the box to big players or Jose teams are well organised and we'll get out foxed playing the same way away at a Mourinho team as we do at home against Swansea.

The players almost seemed surprised when the entire midfield and attack bomb into the box and they easily get caught wanting with the counter attach as our back line is completely stretched and found wanting.

Personally I think it will be refreshing to see defenders being more disciplined. Or clearing their lines rather than trying to play out from the back in any scenario and thread balls through the eye of a needle but it ending up at an opposing attackers feet in our own box.

Roll on the tactics.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 12:48
Some day he is not really at much about tactics as i is about studying the opposition.. But we have got the point where any change was good so it's welcome

22 May, 2018 13:05
Quote:
younghansolo
On the surface that sounds great that he wants them to prepare. But think about that. Arsene told them to go out an express themselves. That's what they've been brought up on. This will be a massive shift for the players. And although I want our players to actually be prepared for the opposition (which they definitely haven't been e.g. Robben!!!) but I don't want them to only focus on the opposition. They need to focus on themselves and expressing their football.

Which is why I think getting Henry as his assistant will be a great idea as TH14 is familiar with Wenger's methods and can help to transition Emery's methods so players can adapt.

tigerline (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 14:13
Quote:
weedz
Quote:
tigerline

I found this yesterday- [youtu.be]

PERFECT!!!

Thanks, weedz!
(Sm128)

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 14:54
After Wenger, anybody, including Arteta is an improvement.

a new start.
That is what Arsenal FC needs after decades of stagnancy and stasis living on past glories of French Spine.

Like after GG, a revolution started at Arsenal.
Like after AW, a new revolution should start.

Do not repeat the same fatal error of judgement in post-Ferguson ManU or post-"Boot Room Boys" of Liverpool FC after Bob Paisley. With Klopp, Liverpool had started the process of rejuvenation.

Like Klopp and Guardiola, Emery will need a minimum of 2 years to overhaul Arsene Wenger Arsenal.

The good news is that Emery will start with a strong core of Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan, Lacazette, Ozil and Xhaka and concentrate on coaching to get the best out of them and those up-and-coming youngsters in Mavropanos, Maitland-Niles, Joe Willock, Holding and Nelson.

Trust Mislintat and Sanllehi to get it right with the right players bought to strengthen the team.

This news certainly boost my declining interest in watching Arsenal FC.

"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is a success.”
Henry Ford

younghansolo (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 17:00
Quote:
Merlion96
After Wenger, anybody, including Arteta is an improvement.

Like after GG, a revolution started at Arsenal.
Like after AW, a new revolution should start.

Do not repeat the same fatal error of judgement in post-Ferguson ManU or post-"Boot Room Boys" of Liverpool FC after Bob Paisley. With Klopp, Liverpool had started the process of rejuvenation.

Like Klopp and Guardiola, Emery will need a minimum of 2 years to overhaul Arsene Wenger Arsenal.

erm.... Think you forgot Bruce Rioch. Literally the only decent thing he did was sign Bergkamp (and depending who you ask, David Platt)

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 22:31
Yup.
Bruce lost the dressing room and was never given a chance to continue.

"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is a success.”
Henry Ford

TheTruthbeTold (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 23:07
An interesting choice. Yes, better him than Arteta. Still, will be surprised if it's a big success next season. Will take some time. I believe he favors a 4-2-3-1, and counter-attacking, which will be good for Abumayang and Miki and Ozil at number 10. We need new defenders and a strong midfielder this summer, and hope he can develop some of our youngsters.

23 May, 2018 15:39
46 years old. 3 years contract. Attention to details. Tactically astute. Prepares his teams well. Works very hard. Expect his players to prepare well for games. Expect his players to press when we don't have the ball. Comfortable with the new structure in Arsenal. Can just focus on coaching and team selection. I feel optimistic for the new season. Bringing his own coaching team with him. No news on Henry or Boulds or Lehman?

tigerline (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 16:00
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
46 years old. 3 years contract. Attention to details. Tactically astute. Prepares his teams well. Works very hard. Expect his players to prepare well for games. Expect his players to press when we don't have the ball. Comfortable with the new structure in Arsenal. Can just focus on coaching and team selection. I feel optimistic for the new season. Bringing his own coaching team with him. No news on Henry or Boulds or Lehman?

Ah ... I see that we are on the same page then, after all.
(Sm128)

23 May, 2018 16:04
Quote:
tigerline
Quote:
mapleleafgooner

Ah ... I see that we are on the same page then, after all.
(Sm128)

I think it is safe to say I am on the same page with most forumners here as far as the hiring of Emery is concerned. Except for maybe Tom who wanted Arteta .... (Sm105)

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 09:43
Id prefer if Henry or bould or Lehmann don't stay /come.

The latter two didn't really stand up to wenger, Lehmann included, so dont want them here.

He's bringing in his coaching team, which is generally how it works any ways. Expect a few players to be sold, ozil maybe one of them as well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2018 19:41 by CazOnARola.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 15:32
They might have brought Lehmann in undercover amd he can revert to type now the Emperor has gone

Goofle (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 10:33
He’s not Wenger.

Goofle (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 12:30
video: [url]

[/url]

tigerline (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 14:52
A comprehensive tactical approach ... what is that?

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 01:55
Quote:
Goofle
video: [url]

[/url]
This was at a time when barca were bored to death and were @#$%& around playing 3 at the back. That experiment was ditched later that season and the next and of course pep took a break after 2012

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 01:56
Not criticizing unai, he'll do a good job and like you said he is not wenger smiling smiley

Trent2000 (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 15:34
The change is what we all wanted and we got it, now we let Unai bed in and see what he brings. We should realize it will take time, but the big change will be no more crab ball. The spine in mid field and defense has to improve, which he is smart enough to address immediately.

Just looking forward to a team and manager that is hungry for results.

30 May, 2018 13:36
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Looks like Emery will be replacing Bould and Lehmann with his trainers from PSG.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 13:42
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5786423/Unai-Emery-set-replace-coaches-Jens-Lehmann-Steve-Bould.html
Looks like Emery will be replacing Bould and Lehmann with his trainers from PSG.
I'm good with that. Those 2 didn't really hold their own against wenger or were inept. Either ways, good riddance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/05/2018 15:35 by CazOnARola.

SandyB (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 14:14
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5786423/Unai-Emery-set-replace-coaches-Jens-Lehmann-Steve-Bould.html

Quote:
The sheer ruthlessness of the shake-up that the north London club are currently undergoing has shocked many supporters and those working for Arsenal.
Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

(Sm160)

tigerline (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 15:21
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
mapleleafgooner

Quote:
The sheer ruthlessness of the shake-up that the north London club are currently undergoing has shocked many supporters and those working for Arsenal.

(Sm160)

A ruthless approach has been badly needed at our club for a long, long time.
(Sm128)

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 23:26
Quote:
tigerline
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
mapleleafgooner

Quote:

(Sm160)

A ruthless approach has been badly needed at our club for a long, long time.
(Sm128)

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net