football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Could Arsenal ever do anything to make you stop supporting them?
younghansolo (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 14:39
Let me set this up before I get roasted.

I'm third generation Gooner, never even worn another football shirt in my life and for years was season ticket holder. Regularly travel abroad and to away games more these days.

But...

Sometimes I really really hate this club. I don't think I could support anyone else but I do sometimes feel like I could stop supporting this club.
I mean, the board despise the fans. The players live in a complete bubble that has no connection to us and the club as a whole treats us like fuel for their machine. Success doesn't matter, nor does class seemingly anymore. A lot of our dignity has gone.

Is there anything the club could do to make you stop supporting this club?

Re: Could Arsenal ever do anything to make you stop supporting them?
SandyB (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 16:04
Nothing exciting but so far for the first time in the entire decade since the money grabbing custodians sold the club to Kroenke we are seeing something like a club management other than a one man show. So they are trying at least trying to earn their wages.

Shane (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 16:44
I'm with you mate. I've never been a season ticket holder, but I did buy my first Arsenal jersey with my Holy Communion money, when I was eight years old in May 1996, so I still put my roots down pretty early, and yes I've never been as distinterested in Arsenal as I am now, amid an imminent Arteta appointment.

It's not even strictly about Arteta; it's about what that appointment would represent: no ambition, creativity to the point of stupidity, but most of all, it would tell me that there's no real Arsenal men at the club anymore. Maybe it's been like this for a while, but if the likes of Ken Friar and the other old timers who pre-date Wenger sit silent whilst Gazidis takes the stupidest gamble in the history of the club then they're not really Arsenal men.

I get the idea. I really do. Gazidis wants to revolutionise and modernise Arsenal, and be the face behind a dynasty which dominates English football. Problem is, it's been a decade since any team retained the Premier League title, and statistically someone will take it off Manchester City this time next year, because this landscape doesn't let any one team dominate. It makes no sense in the short term or the long term, so I don't really understand the logic in hiring this f*cking guy.

No other big English club is plotting long-term domination because it would be like building a city on the most natural-disaster-prone area on planet earth. It cannot and will not last. The big English clubs have copped on to this. Now they're acting in the short-term interest as far as success goes. They're hiring the best possible man for the job, getting Mourinho, Klopp and Guardiola. In other words, they're getting generals to lead their armies now because that's actually how you win wars, in English football. You get the most decorated, experienced bloke available if you too are interested in victory. What you don't do is pull some private out of the dorms and go, 'You used to clean the general's boots, correct? Splended. Mount up because you're leading these c*nts to Basra tomorrow morning. You'll probably be walking around the Bazaar looking for one of your arms at one point, or you'll get your legs blown off for kicking an improvised explosive device in the way you might a flattened can of Fanta when passing it on your way to somewhere, but spending time with someone of a distinguished rank is more or less the same as you carrying the same stripes. So good luck and make sure your platoon are wearing their dogtags at all times because statistically you'll get these poor tw*ts vapourised by someone who you think is a news cameraman with a camera but it's actually a hostile with a bazooka.'

The most puzzling part of this is the fact that our rivals have shown Arsenal that what we're about to do doesn't work. They've shown us that hiring potential doesn't actually work, which is why Brendan Rodgers is at Celtic, David Moyes is nowhere at the moment and Andre Villas-Boas was a rally driver or something the last I heard.

Incidentally, Villas-Boas won a treble in Portugal, including the UEFA Cup, and he wasn't even good enough for Tottenham, so it confounds belief how our mob have enough justification to go with Arteta, or Henry, who would be an equally stupid appointment.

You know your club is f*cked when Patrick Vieira is the most experienced candidate but he isn't being considered. What in the name of god is happening I don't know, but you're right, I'd be hugely disinterested if one of these clowns arrivals.

SandyB (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 17:23
Sky will fall soon if they don’t employ the 2nd coming of Jesus n Jesus isn’t interested in Arsenal specially the mess his predecessor has left, a storm is coming if Gazidis n co don’t act fast, it’s gonna fuc.king blow them off..

Bergmars (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 21:04
Never

A shadow of what we were

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 21:15
Can't help myself. It's Arsenal or nothing. Even though I cooled off a bit thanks to Wenger, bit it's still Arsenal all the way even if we get relegated.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

celine dion (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 17:52
Wenger destroyed most of the interest I had in Arsenal, although it didnt help that I had to move 250 miles away from London and stopped going to Arsenal anyway for monetary reasons.

I dont mind admitting that I have spent the last 2-3 years at least actively wanting Arsenal to lose all their games except Tottenham Chelsea and the cup finals. I know people tend to get a bit excited when they hear that, but trust me, it applies to a LOT of people, on the quiet.

the other thing Arsenal did to make me lose interest in supporting them was the way they acted with seating, food and beer prices. when i used to go. All very cynical and money grabbing. Some of it was quite subtle but it was all aimed at screwing you as much as possible.

Anyway, Ill go back to supporting them now, it will be a slow process as I dont like premier league football anyway, its all pretty grotesque nowadays. But I like a few of the current players, at least three of them, and ill find it fascinating to see what the new manager does to try and sort out the total mess that he's been left.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 21:58
Hipponax:
Two days are the best of a man's wedded life, The days when he marries and buries his wife.

This best describes the love affair between one's club and one's fan(antic).

"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is a success.”
Henry Ford

Goofle (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 12:51
I’ve not been more interested in the club since 07/08.

tigerline (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 14:42
Quote:
Goofle
I’ve not been more interested in the club since 07/08.

Same here.

we could never begin the climb back up and reverse the SLIPPAGE until that fraud of a manager was replaced.

Now, there is hope.
A fresh start.

Hell yeah, I am interested again!

Goofle (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 16:15
Especially since Arteta seems to be the perfect replacement for Wenger.

Jonny Bravo (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 17:50
Stop supporting: No.
Loose interest: Already happened.
Remedy: New owner who priorities on field success as much as that off it.

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 20:45
Quote:
Jonny Bravo
Stop supporting: No.
Loose interest: Already happened.
Remedy: New owner who priorities on field success as much as that off it.

exactly

however while a new ambitious owner would be ideal, I am happy that we finally have major change at Arsenal and a new era is beginning

with Wenger gone, it won't be the same old same old anymore, for better or for worse, so my interest and hope in Arsenal is coming back again

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 22:40
Rehiring Wenger would just about do it for me.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

weedz (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 07:52
I think it's more about perspective. Any life long fan of any club in any sport will learn about 'good times, bad times'. It's all part of the human experience. How we deal with the times, defines us as fans.

Even these days, in a smaller world, fans don't even have be loyal to their Country of birth. So old school loyalty is becoming a rarity and not the norm anymore. It's become more about the fans and less about the club itself. I'm not talking the football here. I am just talking about the loyalty of the fan-base.

no1 gazza fan (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 01:38
Quote:
weedz
I think it's more about perspective. Any life long fan of any club in any sport will learn about 'good times, bad times'. It's all part of the human experience. How we deal with the times, defines us as fans.
Even these days, in a smaller world, fans don't even have be loyal to their Country of birth. So old school loyalty is becoming a rarity and not the norm anymore. It's become more about the fans and less about the club itself. I'm not talking the football here. I am just talking about the loyalty of the fan-base.

Completely agree with this.
Alan sugar and Irving Scholar almost ruined our club. Those were real dark times.
I do think Arsenal fans act a little spoilt when they talk about completely losing interest in their club.

Real fans are the lifeblood of a Football club even if they aren’t treated like it.
Yes money is hugely important, but a huge tv deal doesn’t necessarily even the field for a number of reasons

Most of You guys will outlive (as fans) managers and boards and it only takes recruitment of a few players with the right attitude and all of a sudden you can relate to the team you used to support with all your heart.

It’s a shame we won’t ever see an era of Wright, Adams, Gazza, Ince who would literally give everything for their club and country shirt. That euro 96 lineup video when the team sings the national anthem still makes me wish I was going to games aged 16

Living in singapore now I wake up at 3-4am to watch every evening game and then find it hard to have the energy for work the next morning, but more than anything Spurs generally have a bunch of likeable hardworking players , and whilst that continues I won’t call for the managers head if we don’t win a couple of trophies (unlike most fans) buying into the twist or bust that the media and Football fans keep on about

Sometimes I think you need to add a little perspective and say it’s unlikely we’ll see as many club heroes in the shirt, but Football moves in cycles for teams success wise and it’s not too completely imaginable that one day it will revert to hard work , spirit and passion again

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa146/no1gazzafan/VDVmegs.gif

no, put your wallet away Jack, that was too easy

SandyB (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 02:52
Gazza, so you are saying that you are not going to lose any big-name players ? (Sm100)

01 June, 2018 11:04
Quote:
SandyB
Gazza, so you are saying that you are not going to lose any big-name players ? (Sm100)

I think we’ll lose Toby, Dembele and Rose this summer.

Would t be shocked to lose Wanyama

I think the rest of our squad will want a season in the new stadium and maybe see if our wage structure changes much as we put players on longer contracts

I don’t think us failing to win a trophy each year is as deciding a factor of risk to losing ‘big name’ players as what players agents think they could get them elsewhere

If you list your definition of our Big name players I’ll heppily predict where I think they’ll be in a season or two

SandyB (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 12:25
Quote:
If you list your definition of our Big name players I’ll heppily predict where I think they’ll be in a season or two
The big three Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Eriksen. Also not a player but now that Zidane has left Pochettino situation could quickly turn dicey...

02 June, 2018 10:41
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
The big three Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Eriksen. Also not a player but now that Zidane has left Pochettino situation could quickly turn dicey...

I’d be most worried about Eriksen out of those three.
Think he’d fit well into most sides in Europe.

Ali is very young, and very good Friends with a lot of the Spurs players so I’m think that played a part in his thinking.

I also think Ali and Kane will appreciate how much first team Football they play and for their England careers which are just starting they’d want a couple more Seasons before risking being benched a bit at a bigger side.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 17:39
They could hire mourinho or buy Ashley young.

SandyB (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 21:27
Quote:
I also think Ali and Kane will appreciate how much first team Football they play and for their England careers which are just starting they’d want a couple more Seasons before risking being benched a bit at a bigger side.
Come on, English clubs like Man United or City can always sign either one or both of them luring them with title n trophy dreams. You know that! To be honest this could be the last season for both or at least one of them. Unless Tottenham wins something significant personally I don’t see any of these 3 staying more than a season. It will be about money n about trophies for any players who think they are top players.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
03 June, 2018 03:55
Quote:
no1 gazza fan
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:

I’d be most worried about Eriksen out of those three.
Think he’d fit well into most sides in Europe.

Ali is very young, and very good Friends with a lot of the Spurs players so I’m think that played a part in his thinking.

Problem is that when you all move into that 800-mil Kentucky Henhouse, and marquee players realized that they are earning chick-feed, their agents will turn their heads by saying:
"Why walk the street at Soho earning 100-quid per job?
I go a job line up for you in Spain paying you 300,00 quid per week as a mistress to a Sugar Daddy?"

Money talks bullsh*t walks.

Remember, teams that do not rejuvenate every summer will regress.
Just ask Arsene Wenger.

"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is a success.”
Henry Ford

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 00:05
Quote "Remember, teams that do not rejuvenate every summer will regress.
Just ask Arsene Wenger."

Yes but he would lie and say it was his strongest squad ever

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 10:14
You don't expect a snake-oil salesman not to promote his products as the finestkind?

...and the fan base is rejuvenated and looking forward and eagerly awaiting for 2 July pre-season to have a first look at Unai Emery's squad..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net