football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Arteta Favourite For Arsenal Job!!! Dear Me.
AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 14:19
Looking Likely that Arteta is their preferred option but If the rumours are true that the senior players consider him arrogant and don't like him, how can he get them to play for him.

As for Vieira before he felt slighted by their last dash contact, He appears to have what it takes to instill discipline but where is the experience required to keep us in top 4 before we start dreaming of winning the EPL??

Same with Arteta. The fact that he is Pep's number 2 does not translate to success. I know people mention Zidane but he has been in the coaching system of Real Madrid long enough to give it a try.

The board obviously has no idea what it takes to survive in the EPL because they erroneously handed too much power to Wenger while they sat back fattening their pockets. Now the whole process of transition are in the hands of rookies; Gazidiz and Josh kroenke, both American's who are clueless.

The plot thickens as they are trying to buy players and employ a new set of backroom staff before appointing a manager. Who does that and expects harmony???? For me, this unhealthy strategy, is the reason experienced managers like Allegri, Enrique, Ancelotti have refused to come because their demands will not be met.

The fact that time is against us with the world cup fast approaching suggests a group of people who planned to axe Wenger with no real back up plan.

I bet they will revert back to their deceitful strategy of trying to sell season tickets before making their ridiculous plan obvious. Only the looming world cup can prevent it.

This has turned into a SICK SICK JOKE. ARTETA??? Apart from an FA Cup, what has he won as a player?? Is he is supposed to motivate he likes of Ozil??? I'm just laughing at this foolishness.

I must give it to Arteta if he actually takes the job for being BRAVE and DARING. He has never managed the Under-18s or the Under-12s yet he is willing to become their fall guy.

[www.skysports.com]

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2018 16:37 by AJ The Gunner.

Re: Arteta Favourite For Arsenal Job!!! Dear Me.
Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 14:45
Suppose you have to give the bloke time if appointed.

My personal opinion is if that's the best we can do we are in a pretty bad way.
Think like usual we are saving pennies and gone for the cheapest option.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

16 May, 2018 15:03
Gazidis era may turn out to be crazier than Uncle Wenger

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 15:15
If Arteta fails badly, this will go ammo for the AKBs to say "I told u so". It boggles my mind that Gazidis and company are experimenting with Wenger's replacement instead of picking a proven option. Are their jobs so secure that they can afford to take chances?

16 May, 2018 15:16
Could well be a season of get the board out this time.

16 May, 2018 15:20
They seem more obsessed with restoring power to themselves. May well turn into a fan war.

Let's see how fast and far they can sell season tickets with Arteta as the coach or whatever he is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2018 16:39 by AJ The Gunner.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 15:38
Erm... When Klopp was struggling in the Bundesliga we kept Wenger, When Pep was out of a Job we kept Wenger, When that Mourihno was out of a Job we kept Wenger, When Conte got to the world cup final we kept Wenger.

let's not act like we didn't have any chances to appoint managers. There are managers out there who many of you are going to turn their noses up at right now that are going to prove people wrong.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 15:50
I think if you have set up where sanielhi is going to run the football operations and arteta (insert coach) looks after only coaching, it is the way foward.

Basically doctor is responsible for judging overall how the team is doing as well as individual players.

The coach s feedback becomes and input and the clutch is not really responsible for contracts /"wages /will to sign etc. He is just given a pool of players and his job is to bring the best out of them.
The onus is on thr couch to adapt the players he has and therefore should be able to coach multiple formations, tactics, etc.

This is isn't bad as that is how life has become in the new millennium with all of us requiring multiple adults at our jobs and having one is not enough.

The only pbm is the players respect. That can actually come from the top as well. If you know that you will be fired if you don't listen to the coach, that will stop protective mentality at the club

Like someone said earlier, gen Y players seem to only respond to kicks in their back side and where they are given specific instructions down to a T.

I'm in agreement with the changesi in the structure. I would personally not go for arteta because the age other coaches out there currently.

But for all i know, signing him is the equivalent to monaco blooding in mbappe. So i will reserve my comments till i see him in action.

And i think there is no harm in signing CBs, DMs, and pacy wingers as that is something I'm sure most of us agree that ww need. And the task of identifying whether they are good enough or not seems to be more with sven rather the manager/coach.

The standard set for the past 2 years is so low that i think arteta should be able to do a better job if he is even half as good as guys in le Grove have you believe

Shane (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 16:16
Rangers caught quite a lot of stick in Scotland for hiring Steven Gerrard, and rightly so because they're a massive football club all things considered and to hire someone like Gerrard is beyond stupid. How do we think Arsenal look then if we, a much bigger club than Rangers, hire someone with less experience than Gerrard? I can't get my head around it.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 16:28
Zidane had 2/3 years as a number 2 years before he got Real Madrid. Neville was given a chance in spain.

If Arsenal was 1st/2nd in the league I would be @#$%& but the only way is up.

tigerline (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 16:38
"Looking Likely that Arteta is their preferred option but If the rumours are true that
the senior players consider him arrogant and don't like him, how can he get them to play for him."

So what if they don't like him.

Arrogant?!?
Have we forgotten wenger's most prominent trait already?

I totally get the concern about appointing a novice to manage our club, but the quoted statement does not mean cr@p to me. I would be much more concerned if we hired a former player whom everyone here really liked. There has been entirely too much coddling and lack of accountability between the manager and the players here.

WE ARE NOW A SOFT CLUB.

I am all for adding some bite on the training ground and in games. Say what you want about Arteta's limitations as a player (and I surely did), but I never doubted his commitment and focus. He could deliver a nasty tackle, too. We missed his toughness and scrappiness when he left.

I distinctly remember the Ramsey/Arteta partnership in midfield working well; however, I also recall Arteta chewing Ramsey's azz when his undisciplined ways left him too far up the pitch to help defend counter-attacks. I can imagine that Ramsey would not be happy to be facing that sort of attention again from Arteta, now the manager.

I can understand the thinking that this club needs a hard kick up its backside and we need to instill more ruthlessness to our team culture ... and I can see Arteta delivering it with authority - just another aspect of this appointment to consider.

SandyB (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 17:10
If Arteta takes over as next "Head Coach", I'm in the 'let's see how it goes' brigade rather than jumping conclusive gun on him even before the season started. Unless he fuc.ks up really really big time that he picked up fights with players n team is sitting in bottom half of the table by December, I'm not in 'Arteta out' gang.
I think the club n the current squad is fu.cked in multiple ways so there needs to be some sustained rebuilding required n be realistic no Max Allegri, Carlo Ancelotti are gonna do that for you. So someone like Arteta need to do a Brandon Rogers in Liverpool.
Choice between Arteta n Vieira although we will prefer Vieira but it's understandable why Gazidis, Sanllehi, Mislintat would want Arteta over him. Vieira being a legend will have much more direct contact with the fans which means they have less control over him n in reality Vieira doesn't have the experience to run the club alone at this point in time.

I foresee a 'bring back Wenger' movement starting soon probably even before the season starts n who knows that's what Stan Kroenke might want!!

Shane (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 17:20
Quote:
tigerline
"Looking Likely that Arteta is their preferred option but If the rumours are true that
the senior players consider him arrogant and don't like him, how can he get them to play for him."

Arrogant?!?

I totally get the concern about appointing a novice to manage our club, but the quoted statement does not mean cr@p to me. I would be much more concerned if we hired a former player whom everyone here really liked. There has been entirely too much coddling and lack of accountability between the manager and the players here.

WE ARE NOW A SOFT CLUB.

I am all for adding some bite on the training ground and in games. Say what you want about Arteta's limitations as a player (and I surely did), but I never doubted his commitment and focus. He could deliver a nasty tackle, too. We missed his toughness and scrappiness when he left.

I distinctly remember the Ramsey/Arteta partnership in midfield working well; however, I also recall Arteta chewing Ramsey's azz when his undisciplined ways left him too far up the pitch to help defend counter-attacks. I can imagine that Ramsey would not be happy to be facing that sort of attention again from Arteta, now the manager.

I can understand the thinking that this club needs a hard kick up its backside and we need to instill more ruthlessness to our team culture ... and I can see Arteta delivering it with authority - just another aspect of this appointment to consider.

He's about as assertive as Ned Flanders mate. I know how stupid that sounds, considering I don't know him personally, but you can actually get quite a good sense of a player's personality by how they conduct themselves on the pitch.

SandyB (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 17:29
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
tigerline

Arrogant?!?

WE ARE NOW A SOFT CLUB.

He's about as assertive as Ned Flanders mate. I know how stupid that sounds, considering I don't know him personally, but you can actually get quite a good sense of a player's personality by how they conduct themselves on the pitch.
By that logic, I'm guessing when Wenger was a player then someone hired him as coach
he must have looked like the real 'Jacques Tati'...

Bergmars (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 18:36
Quote:
Shane
Rangers caught quite a lot of stick in Scotland for hiring Steven Gerrard, and rightly so because they're a massive football club all things considered and to hire someone like Gerrard is beyond stupid. How do we think Arsenal look then if we, a much bigger club than Rangers, hire someone with less experience than Gerrard? I can't get my head around it.

A shadow of what we were

kudzif01 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 19:44
If he is the choice everyone should give him the time. There is no point in jumping on him at the first mistake.If he is not the guy he will be replaced that happens in professional sports, but he might suprise many of us and be great.

tigerline (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 20:04
I know that it has been mentioned here previously, but the selection of Arteta would be an attempt by Kroenke to repeat the same success that he had just last year with his beloved Los Angeles Rams in the NFL.

When wenger FINALLY decided to replace 22-year NFL head coaching veteran Jeff Fisher, the Rams had been on an epic run of mediocrity and disappointment. They finished with a record of 4-12 in 2016. Instead of looking for a learned hand as a replacement HC, Kroenke broke with all conventional wisdom and hired Sean McVay.

McVay was only 30 years old, had zero head coaching experience, and became the youngest Head Coach in NFL history - quite a gamble.

Last year, in McVay's first season, the Rams went 11-5 and won their Division.
It was the first winning season since 2003.
It was the first time in the playoffs since 2004.

The Rams became the only team in NFL history to go from being the worst scoring team in the league one season to the highest scoring team in the league the following season ... with largely the same personnel.

It was a remarkable turnaround for a truly moribund franchise.

It is easy to see how this experience in taking a chance on a novice head coach in LA could be affecting the decision here.

I am not saying that I agree with it; I am putting Kroenke's mindset in context.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 20:06
Quote:
kudzif01
If he is the choice everyone should give him the time. There is no point in jumping on him at the first mistake.If he is not the guy he will be replaced that happens in professional sports, but he might suprise many of us and be great.
Don't have choice and it will still be the most exciting pre season since we signed sanchez. At least it was for me when we got him.

Flava (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 21:20
It’s underwhelming but if he is appointed I’m ok with it, although I’d have preferred many many other options.

If Guardiola has him as his #2 he must have something special about him. Sanelle and Mislantat have worked for HUGE clubs. They will not let Gazidis and Josh Kroenke appoint someone they’re not on board with.

It’s a ballsy move from Gazidis. If it backfires it will be on him and he’ll have nowhere to hide

TonyStark (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 21:52
Simeone ! get it done

16 May, 2018 22:20
Carlo Ancelotti has a pre-contract agreement in place to take over at Arsenal.

That’s according to reports in Italy

Shane (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 22:22
Don't get my hopes up FFS.

16 May, 2018 23:15
Breaking News.
'Arsenal to hold Arteta talks'

[www.skysports.com]

Estimated 50 million transfer budget (Sm22)

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 23:33
Arteta has the best lego style hair

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 00:03
If Arteta is half as good a manager as he was a player then ... he'll be s.hit.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

TonyStark (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 00:12
best LEGO hair
love it lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/05/2018 00:13 by TonyStark.

Goofle (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 02:10
HE'S NOT WENGER

karsene16 (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 08:43
If you was a top manager like Alegeri and Simeone would you take a team that is not in the champions league?

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 09:42
If you throw enough money at them, they will, but that money is better used on the squad which has a few gaping holes.

We need a brendan rogers type before we get our klopp. Unless we have 200mn war chest available to spend on the players as well as the new manager whose contract we are buying out

karsene16 (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 11:17
Quote:
CazOnARola
If you throw enough money at them, they will, but that money is better used on the squad which has a few gaping holes.
We need a brendan rogers type before we get our klopp. Unless we have 200mn war chest available to spend on the players as well as the new manager whose contract we are buying out

Some managers don't need the cash, they've been building teams and a few additions to their current teams can form a challenge. At Arsenal they will have to rebuild to eventually get in the Champions league and then see if they can challenge. It this point it won't be about money but Job security, you would have to offer these managers a 5/6 year deal.

17 May, 2018 11:33
I know we should give Arteta a chance but in this case, I feel Gazidis is hiring him because he wants control. It's pretty obvious from the way things has been unfolding. If Vieira didn't get upset that he was called at the last minute, it would have been him.

I am personally annoyed because Arteta is my Man Crush's number 2. I would have rather had Pep. But Wenger closed the door for Pep when he refused to step aside.

Well I guess I have to make do with his handsome rugged looks because we are either getting it right or we are in for a turbulent ride.

I for one do not see Arteta as the arrogant type. I just hope he can get the players to play for him.

Mr. Brightside. (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 13:04
Brilliant smileys with beer

17 May, 2018 13:56
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
I know we should give Arteta a chance but in this case, I feel Gazidis is hiring him because he wants control. It's pretty obvious from the way things has been unfolding. If Vieira didn't get upset that he was called at the last minute, it would have been him.
I am personally annoyed because Arteta is my Man Crush's number 2. I would have rather had Pep. But Wenger closed the door for Pep when he refused to step aside.

Well I guess I have to make do with his handsome rugged looks because we are either getting it right or we are in for a turbulent ride.

I for one do not see Arteta as the arrogant type. I just hope he can get the players to play for him.

It is very obvious in the new structure, all the critical roles like coaching, transfers, player contracts and conditioning are given to different people to run with all rolling up to Gazidis. A good model IF all work well together and not subject to the whims of any one individual. All the current key members in the new structure are highly experienced people and if Arteta is brought in as the coach, he will be the weakest link in that structure due to his lack of experience managing a team during training and game time. While I understand the likes of Allegri and Simone will not be interested in Arsenal due to the lack of CL football, I would prefer someone with more actual football management experience than Arteta.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 14:09
If this happens, it will be a disaster. People will be begging for Wenger by Christmas.

17 May, 2018 15:43
Arsenal are intending to speak to club legend Thierry Henry about the vacant managerial position at the Emirates early next week, according to Sky sources.

tigerline (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 15:51
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Arsenal are intending to speak to club legend Thierry Henry about the vacant managerial position at the Emirates early next week, according to Sky sources.

Perhaps the decision-makers view arrogance as an asset?

SuperRob (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 18:23
I think what is clear is that they are interviewing lots of people so all this speculation about arteta (or Henry or Vieira or whoever else) becoming the coach is a waste of time at this point.

The press don't really know what is going on behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if the person appointed is someone who isn't even being mentioned right now.

SandyB (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 18:41
Quote:
SuperRob
I think what is clear is that they are interviewing lots of people so all this speculation about arteta (or Henry or Vieira or whoever else) becoming the coach is a waste of time at this point.
The press don't really know what is going on behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if the person appointed is someone who isn't even being mentioned right now.
Correct. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Antonio Conte. They might be waiting for Chelsea to fire him after the FA Cup final so that they can hire him. Conte wants the Chelsea severance package n if he gets that Arsenal might have to pay much lesser for him. But if that’s the case the wait game is gonna hurt the club.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 18:55
What's Ranieri up to? He managed to win the title with a s.hit team. Would just need to repeat that with us.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 21:33
Rumor that Carlo Ancelotti is the next in line ....

Hope is the last creature out of Pandora Box

SandyB (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 22:11
Quote:
Merlion96
Rumor that Carlo Ancelotti is the next in line ....
You mean the next on interview queue? There is a line for Arsenal interview? (Sm100)

17 May, 2018 23:18
Quote:
Boston Gooner

Are we in a circus??? Arteta, Henry whose next??? How many vacant positions do we have anyways??

17 May, 2018 23:22
Arsene Wenger believes Mikel Arteta "has all the qualities" to be Arsenal's next boss.

This alone has me worried. Uncle Wenger isrefusing to hibernate. Nevertheless, Arteta doesn't strike me as someone who agreed with Wenger's ways and manner of handling the team.

18 May, 2018 01:17
I think speaking to TH14 is to acknowledge Josh K's preference for Henry to be the coach.

18 May, 2018 08:30
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
I think speaking to TH14 is to acknowledge Josh K's preference for Henry to be the coach.

you could be right because from day one, Josh kroenke always wanted Henry to take over.

18 May, 2018 09:53
Between Henry and Arteta, I would go with Henry. Not ideal as both lack the managerial experience needed. But I think playing under a former global icon like Henry would appeal to more players. Both established and younger players. Henry has the Arsenal DNA while I always associated Arteta with Everton and hence Moyes and we know how that went with ManUre.

18 May, 2018 10:03
Quote:
Myles Palmer
Wenger admits he hasn’t even cleared his desk yet. He’s in denial. Probably thinks he’ll be back soon. He wanted Martial as part of the Sanchez deal in January. But was told Mkhitaryan was coming. So Wenger wasn’t in charge in January and he is being paid £9m to leave and the FA Cup Final is coming up on Saturday. But he still hasn’t cleared his desk?

I know this guy has been anti wenger for such a long time but if their is any truth in this that wenger has yet to clear his desk then i can begin to understand why Gazidis is bent on dismantling everything the resembles Wenger and setting up a structure that will give him the absolute power he was denied.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 11:49
Wenger said he hasnt cleared his desk in the Guardian today, quoted in an interview. He is in shock.
I always said that like Gadafi he would be the last one to know he was going.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 14:18
good summary of everything that's going on

[www.bbc.com]

Most of the changes are a positive thing in my view

younghansolo (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 14:30
If it is Arteta which looks very likely. I'm not going to "give him a chance." At this point he has zero respect from me as a manager. He's unskilled, untrained and utterly unqualified for a club the size of Arsenal. It would be an absolute disgrace to hire him.

From day one I would expect nothing but the worst. And to be honest I would hope he fails so Gazidis might be held to account for his dreadful job.

The guy we seemingly didn't;t even bother to offer a coaching role to is going to be our Manager now? @#$%& off.

kudzif01 (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 17:14
Quote:
younghansolo
If this happens, it will be a disaster. People will be begging for Wenger by Christmas.

How do you know this and on what evidence have you reached this conclusion?

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 17:17
The bar is set pretty low, if he doesn't surpass this seasons performance the it truly would be a dreadful signing

younghansolo (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 18:16
Quote:
kudzif01
Quote:
younghansolo

How do you know this and on what evidence have you reached this conclusion?

Years of hiring people mate. You never give the kid with great skills the top job immediately; you groom them. You also hire the best frigging candidate you can whatever the job, football or otherwise.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 21:08
I will give him time obviously and wish him well but they aresetting themselves up for a huge fall and massive backlash.

A shadow of what we were

SandyB (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 22:22
Quote:
Bergmars
I will give him time obviously and wish him well but they aresetting themselves up for a huge fall and massive backlash.
Also if you check sites like untold arsenal or positively arsenal folks are already talking about 'bring back Arsene' stuff.. it's real any fu.ck up with this Arteta show they are gonna be blown away (Sm124)

Shane (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 00:07
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
Arsene Wenger believes Mikel Arteta "has all the qualities" to be Arsenal's next boss.
This alone has me worried.

What Wenger actually said: "I don’t want to influence that decision – it’s important they make their choice in an objective way and I don’t want anything I say to be misconstrued. I know how you [the media] do these things – if I say something nice about somebody you will say I am backing him but this is not the case."

This is how manipulative the media is, because those quotes are intentionally omitted from most of the 'Wenger backs Arteta' stories I've come across. They're omitted because they can't use that angle and include those quotes. Truth is sacrificed for fantasy, because fantasy is more interesting. It was also fantasy when you thought Wenger was blaming Arsenal fans for his departure, or last week when you thought Wenger was giving his successor advice on how to win the Premier League. You've given him stick after all three instances, which begs the question: is your perception of Wenger based on reality or is it based on how the media wants you to view him?

I'm not suggesting a widespread conspiracy by journalists to make Wenger look as bad as possible, but news is defined by what the masses find interesting and often the most interesting angle regarding Wenger is the one which prompts the most outrage - "Ugh, can you believe what he has said now?" - so if they have to stitch things together, and basically lie, to best achieve that then they certainly will.

SandyB (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 01:26
Shano, But Wenger actually backed Arteta by saying
Quote:
wenger
He has all the qualities to do the job, yes and I think as well he is one of the favourites,” Wenger, who brought Arteta to the club in 2011 and made him captain in 2014, told beIN Sports.

“He was a leader, and he has a good passion for the game and he knows the club well, he knows what is important at the club and he was captain of the club. Why not?”
Which you seem not to agree but not hesitating to defend Wenger using his other quotes.

** Personally, I’m actually ok with Arteta, with or without listening to Wenger I’ve no reason to write Arteta off without seeing how he can perform. Also, I’ve no reason to doubt Gazidis or Kroenke whoever is making decision on who will be Arsenal’s next manager but if they make mistakes with their choice then next time I might have better reasons to criticize them but you can criticize them or Arteta or Henry without even seeing their 1st performance but can’t take fair criticism about Wenger which is true, mate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2018 01:55 by SandyB.

Shane (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 02:31
He also 'backed' Patrick Vieira about two weeks ago mate, so either he's so self-deprecating that he thinks any swinging dick with or without experience can replace him at Arsenal, or he's just being polite and giving scripted answers to questions that he knows will be asked. He also clearly has enough of an understanding of the media to know that publicly denouncing them by writing off their chances is a far bigger story.

As for refusing to criticise Henry or Arteta, well that's a noble stance, but there's nothing to criticise because they aren't football managers, which is kind of the point. I honestly can't say a bad word about them as football managers, nor can I say a bad word about Brad Pitt as an astronaut. He might be brilliant at it, but until he proves as much I'm not sending the c*nt to space in a multi-billion pound bit of kit.

SandyB (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 06:23
Quote:
Shane
He also 'backed' Patrick Vieira about two weeks ago mate, so either he's so self-deprecating that he thinks any swinging dick with or without experience can replace him at Arsenal, or he's just being polite and giving scripted answers to questions that he knows will be asked. He also clearly has enough of an understanding of the media to know that publicly denouncing them by writing off their chances is a far bigger story.
As for refusing to criticise Henry or Arteta, well that's a noble stance, but there's nothing to criticise because they aren't football managers, which is kind of the point. I honestly can't say a bad word about them as football managers, nor can I say a bad word about Brad Pitt as an astronaut. He might be brilliant at it, but until he proves as much I'm not sending the c*nt to space in a multi-billion pound bit of kit.
You can read all the cryptic language of Wenger or smirk but actually he could avoid answering such questions by saying he doesn’t have opinion about it.
I think Henry or even Arteta is fairly qualified to be considered as head coach in football than Brad Pitt as astronaut n if you have difficulty understanding that then football isn’t your forte. Zidane, Pep, Dunga were great footballers on their own rights n they were given chance to prove it by some football powerhouses without much of an experience. Find out there are plenty of people examples.

Flava (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 09:55
Darren Arsenal who seems to know stuff says Arteta is done

Bergmars (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 11:10
Quote:
Flava
Darren Arsenal who seems to know stuff says Arteta is done
I believe it.

A shadow of what we were

19 May, 2018 11:58
Quote:
SandyB
Shano, But Wenger actually backed Arteta by saying
Quote:
wenger
He has all the qualities to do the job, yes and I think as well he is one of the favourites,” Wenger, who brought Arteta to the club in 2011 and made him captain in 2014, told beIN Sports.

“He was a leader, and he has a good passion for the game and he knows the club well, he knows what is important at the club and he was captain of the club. Why not?”
Which you seem not to agree but not hesitating to defend Wenger using his other quotes.

** Personally, I’m actually ok with Arteta, with or without listening to Wenger I’ve no reason to write Arteta off without seeing how he can perform. Also, I’ve no reason to doubt Gazidis or Kroenke whoever is making decision on who will be Arsenal’s next manager but if they make mistakes with their choice then next time I might have better reasons to criticize them but you can criticize them or Arteta or Henry without even seeing their 1st performance but can’t take fair criticism about Wenger which is true, mate.

Don't mind Shane. he is Wenger's telepathic twins who only has the ability to pick and choose as well as interpret what Wenger says, thinks and feels.

19 May, 2018 12:14
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
This alone has me worried.

What Wenger actually said: "I don’t want to influence that decision – it’s important they make their choice in an objective way and I don’t want anything I say to be misconstrued. I know how you [the media] do these things – if I say something nice about somebody you will say I am backing him but this is not the case."

This is how manipulative the media is, because those quotes are intentionally omitted from most of the 'Wenger backs Arteta' stories I've come across. They're omitted because they can't use that angle and include those quotes. Truth is sacrificed for fantasy, because fantasy is more interesting. It was also fantasy when you thought Wenger was blaming Arsenal fans for his departure, or last week when you thought Wenger was giving his successor advice on how to win the Premier League. You've given him stick after all three instances, which begs the question: is your perception of Wenger based on reality or is it based on how the media wants you to view him?

I'm not suggesting a widespread conspiracy by journalists to make Wenger look as bad as possible, but news is defined by what the masses find interesting and often the most interesting angle regarding Wenger is the one which prompts the most outrage - "Ugh, can you believe what he has said now?" - so if they have to stitch things together, and basically lie, to best achieve that then they certainly will.

It is amazing that you have accused me and the media of doing EXACTLY what you have done since you carefully omitted "Uncle Wenger is refusing to hibernate. Nevertheless, Arteta doesn't strike me as someone who agreed with Wenger's ways and manner of handling the team." JUST to buttress your point that me plus the media are manipulative because we sacrifice Truth for fantasy because fantasy is more interesting. HOW HYPOCRITICAL.

you also pick and choose as well as omit to justify Wenger who you seem to have the telepathic ability of interpreting what thinks, feels and says to justify his actions. ARE YOU HIS TELEPATHIC TWINS???

what you have failed to ACCEPT is that wenger is a bunch contradiction. his video interviews NOT WRITTEN TEXTS are filled with contradictions.

so since you skilfully omitted were i said that he should hibernate, i will once again INFORM you that he should hibernate. anything he says will be interpreted in anyway we choose. instead, he should just come out of his shock state and just CLEAR his desk for whoever is coming. or you can help your telepathic twinny to clear his desk. #Enoughsaid

Ichigo (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 13:30
WTF is wrong with us. We had so many complains when Tuchel was linked to us and now the same with Arteta. Looks to me that we won’t be satisfied whoever we appoint if it’s not Allegri that refused to come to us.

Shane (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 14:09
I omitted the part about hibernation because I wasn't responding to that bit AJ, because it's irrelevant and don't know why you're moaning about it. If your post was 1,000 words long would you like me quote the entire thing, and let you guess what I'm responding to, or is it just practical to only quote the bit I'm responding to? That's all I did.

As for the whole desk clearing thing, well it's pretty clear to me that he is indeed in denial. That being said, unlike some of you, I'm a human being and not a dispassionate sociopath with selective empathy. Because I'm a human being, with emotional intelligence, I can suggest it's probably pretty normal for an old man to struggle to accept that a job he's done for a third of his life is suddenly not his job anymore. Let me guess though, it's different for Wenger, probably because of money I imagine. Well, it's not different, but that suggestion would tell me that you don't view Wenger as a human, but as some sort of character in a television series.

Trent2000 (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 14:28
Wow, are we afraid that Arteta has learned nothing from Pep?

Was Pep the one that would bench players that underperformed and then never played them much, I know they spent loads of money. Wenger never did it and we all cried out for it, so maybe Arteta or even Henry will.

I want either, its new life for the club and looking forward to a change.

Xhaka and Mustafi would have never played again if they were at City, just imagine that as an upgrade to the team, just a thought.

19 May, 2018 15:01
Shane:

Kudos to you for your carefully constructed insult, I quote " i am a human being and not a dispassionate sociopath with selective empathy. Because I'm a human being, with emotional intelligence,"

So Very ARROGANT of you to assume that those of us who do not share your opinion are labeled dispassionate sociopath with selective empathy, not human beings with emotional intelligence.

What a joke. Come down to earth and accept that people have a right to their opinion and don't insult them with twisted words and terms.

Totally uncool to suggest that we are not human being because you feel you are more superior to us or what??? Who knows with you.

Well Mr. Alien, if I can call you that since you have emotional intelligence and seem to know who and what I am, may be it's time you board your spacecraft and leave us who are not human beings.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2018 15:23 by AJ The Gunner.

19 May, 2018 15:37
Strange guy that Shane.

Shane (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 17:27
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
So Very ARROGANT of you to assume that those of us who do not share your opinion are labeled dispassionate sociopath with selective empathy, not human beings with emotional intelligence.

It's pretty hard to argue you're compassionate and empathetic when you've just written this AJ: "He should just come out of his shock state and just CLEAR his desk for whoever is coming."

I'm not sure you care about Wenger's desk in all honesty. If I had to guess, I'd say the part of you that "really dislikes this man" is starving because sources of nourishment - or reasons to criticise him - are quite scarce since he has left Arsenal, and therefore you have to feed it whatever you can, which in this case is an admission that he hasn't cleaned his desk.

Ironically, have you realised that you're effectively criticising Wenger for an inability to move on? And have you realised that the reason we're talking about Wenger or his desk is because YOU brought it up?

Call me a hypocrite until you're blue in the face, but I'm not the one telling others to move on whilst scraping the barrel in search for reasons to criticise him. He's not the enemy anymore. Until you move past this simple idea, I'm not sure you should be belitting people for grieving the loss of their job after 22 years.

He's gone - it even says so in your signature, so practice what you preach.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 17:50
I don't mind Arteta too much. Whoever took over from Wenger would have a difficult job with a higher chance of failure than success. The difference now is that Arsenal should be much more decisive and act when things aren't going well. If the new coach flops after the first year or so, it's likely he will get sacked and they'll try something different. And if that happens, it might be much easier to get a top name. Replacing Wenger and slotting into a completely new management strucure with so many unknowns is one thing, replacing Arteta (assuming he fails and we don't improve over the next 18 months) would be a much more attractive option for someone like Allegri.

Without Wenger, Arsenal can now start making decisions like a normal football club, instead of a cult following, which is an exciting change for the fans. Kroenke, Gazidis, Sanellhi and Mistlintat aren't loved by the fans, and they know that, so they now have to deliver if they want to stay in their jobs. The club doesn't have the protection that Wenger offered them anymore.

I find it unlikely that Arsenal will finish lower than 6th regardless of who the coach is. But if we don't start improving next season, there won't be any sentimental reasons to get rid of the coach to stop the decline like there has been for the last 10 years. Same goes for the director of football and the transfer negotiator, if they aren't living up to expectations, they can be changed. Same for the CEO. Splitting up the responsibilities makes it much easier to identify where the problems are when things go wrong and make incremental improvements without having to change the entire management structure every time.

It'll take some time to get it right I'm sure, but in the modern game, the way they are doing it is the only way to succeed.

SandyB (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 18:09
Quote:
SuperRob
I don't mind Arteta too much. Whoever took over from Wenger would have a difficult job with a higher chance of failure than success. The difference now is that Arsenal should be much more decisive and act when things aren't going well. If the new coach flops after the first year or so, it's likely he will get sacked and they'll try something different. And if that happens, it might be much easier to get a top name. Replacing Wenger and slotting into a completely new management strucure with so many unknowns is one thing, replacing Arteta (assuming he fails and we don't improve over the next 18 months) would be a much more attractive option for someone like Allegri.
Without Wenger, Arsenal can now start making decisions like a normal football club, instead of a cult following, which is an exciting change for the fans. Kroenke, Gazidis, Sanellhi and Mistlintat aren't loved by the fans, and they know that, so they now have to deliver if they want to stay in their jobs. The club doesn't have the protection that Wenger offered them anymore.

I find it unlikely that Arsenal will finish lower than 6th regardless of who the coach is. But if we don't start improving next season, there won't be any sentimental reasons to get rid of the coach to stop the decline like there has been for the last 10 years. Same goes for the director of football and the transfer negotiator, if they aren't living up to expectations, they can be changed. Same for the CEO. Splitting up the responsibilities makes it much easier to identify where the problems are when things go wrong and make incremental improvements without having to change the entire management structure every time.

It'll take some time to get it right I'm sure, but in the modern game, the way they are doing it is the only way to succeed.
Totally agree thumbs down

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 18:40
Also practically, if the chances of the next guy bring gifts is so high, maybe terminating arteta s contact isn't going to cost as much as terminating alegri.

Clealrly, they want to see what he can do with lines money before maybe losing the purse strings.

And I think the budget also puts an onus to identify talent early and nurture it to reach its full potential.

Considering the past few years, we have failed at either one of them or both considering the performances.

If Leicester found kante, mahrez, etc... It's time mislintat and Co. Start doing that.

It is a long road and maybe arteta isn't the right choice but maybe so isnt Allegri who didn't want to come.

Thsts is no point passing someone over the odds to join you at this stage en you need considerable money to put in the squad itself

19 May, 2018 20:52
In the past year, Wenger had supercharged our offense with Aubameyang, Lacazette, Mkhitaryan and renewing Ozil's contract. All at a very high cost. The new manager will not hsve to bring in attacking options bcos we also have Welbeck and Ramsey.The attacking tactics need to be changed to enable more chances created and more attempts at goal instead of passing the ball around just to retain possession. Ball crossing needs to be improved significantly. And shooting from distance. Wengerball needs to be retired.

Our biggest issue is on the defensive side of the game from keeper to DM to defending from the front. Both in personnel snd tactics. I expect the new coach to do a major overhaul there. The new coach also needs to teach the team to play when we dont have the ball.

Hopefully Arteta is up to the task. Success for him will be to qualify for CL and a point delta from the top team of under 10 points. If not, then he is gone at the end of next season. The old Wenger way of keeping under performers around should be tossed out.

19 May, 2018 22:00
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Strange guy that Shane.

Not just strange but also weird

19 May, 2018 22:18
Shane, Just shut up PLEASE. You are not making sense to me. I couldn't even get past the first paragraph.

Whatever you think makes no difference to me just as mine makes no difference to you. You can keep roaming about threads picking at my post to buttress your suppose superior views. You really have time. You and Wenger can carry on your love affair for all I care.

This thread is about whether Arteta is a good idea or not and not about you.

Back to serious issues. Don't know if we are to believe the news that Henry will become an Assistant to Arteta. If so, then it's just a Gazidis Josh Kroenke combo. Josh wanted Henry and Gazidis wanted Arteta.

For me, the only realistic target is first sorting out defense, then making sure we don't slide down from 6th place, then aim for top 4, then from there we can then aim for the top Price.

Even if Arteta becomes coach and the results are not favorable, he should not be fired or pressured. 3 years should be a trial period. After that then we shall see.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 23:03
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
Shane, Just shut up PLEASE. You are not making sense to me. I couldn't even get past the first paragraph.
Whatever you think makes no difference to me just as mine makes no difference to you. You can keep roaming about threads picking at my post to buttress your suppose superior views. You really have time. You and Wenger can carry on your love affair for all I care.

This thread is about whether Arteta is a good idea or not and not about you.

Back to serious issues. Don't know if we are to believe the news that Henry will become an Assistant to Arteta. If so, then it's just a Gazidis Josh Kroenke combo. Josh wanted Henry and Gazidis wanted Arteta.

For me, the only realistic target is first sorting out defense, then making sure we don't slide down from 6th place, then aim for top 4, then from there we can then aim for the top Price.

Even if Arteta becomes coach and the results are not favorable, he should not be fired or pressured. 3 years should be a trial period. After that then we shall see.
There has to be an assemblance of improvement for arteta to stay for more than a year by next may and at least start the slide.

So we should see improvement in areas where we felt arsene was lacking including defensive organization and of course overall points tally.

Things can of course get worse at first but come may there should be enough visible improvement for him to warrant another year. If the team doesn't seem to progrrss then it needs to be reloaded again.. No more job for life

Shane (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 12:06
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
This thread is about whether Arteta is a good idea or not and not about you..

I thought it was about Arteta too until you gave it an anti-Wenger slant for no reason.

20 May, 2018 16:55
Quote:
CazOnARola
There has to be an assemblance of improvement for arteta to stay for more than a year by next may and at least start the slide.

So we should see improvement in areas where we felt arsene was lacking including defensive organization and of course overall points tally.

Things can of course get worse at first but come may there should be enough visible improvement for him to warrant another year. If the team doesn't seem to progrrss then it needs to be reloaded again.. No more job for life

Job for life is a NO NO but if would be seem unfair to give a new manager be it Arteta or whoever just one year. We have to consider were we are now, worst away record, defensively in shambles and outside to 4.

SandyB (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 17:09
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
Quote:
CazOnARola

Job for life is a NO NO but if would be seem unfair to give a new manager be it Arteta or whoever just one year. We have to consider were we are now, worst away record, defensively in shambles and outside to 4.

Plus, shano n co has given 22 years to Wenger but now wants 'Arteta/Henry out' before even joined.. (Sm6)

celine dion (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 17:24
Just a couple of points.

Wenger isn't some gentle old man whose been handed his cards after a lifetime of dedicated service at the local soap factory. It may be the persona he projects but by nature of the fact that he has been earning 8 million pounds a year as manager of a world famous football club, it is not the case.

Secondly, in relation to a point Shane makes somewhere along the line here. Our personality exists only in the perception of others. There is no definitive 'self'

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 18:03
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
Quote:
CazOnARola

If you read my post that's why i said visible improvement by may even if things go bad first.

But visible i mean improvements in areas we lack like defensive discipline, counter attacks where only 2/3 players combine to score goals instead of needing half the team in the opposition half.

I'm not worried so much about the points and position where we finish.

But there is no improvement technically and the team and our keeps playing like they have this year then for me it's a failure even though one year seems a short time.

Imho the bar of this season was so low that it is fair to expect improvements over s period of one year even with the same squad.

Like i aid, i dont want us winning one we've won last year, i would like to see visible improvements in our weakest area which seems to application of the players with 100% commitment for 90 min. And not getting caught slow or the blocks in early kick offs

Shane (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 21:08
Quote:
celine dion
Just a couple of points.
Wenger isn't some gentle old man whose been handed his cards after a lifetime of dedicated service at the local soap factory. It may be the persona he projects but by nature of the fact that he has been earning 8 million pounds a year as manager of a world famous football club, it is not the case.

Secondly, in relation to a point Shane makes somewhere along the line here. Our personality exists only in the perception of others. There is no definitive 'self'

Just so I have this clear, are you suggesting that multi-millionaires should be denied compassion and empathy if they're mourning the loss of something, or is just Wenger mate?

I don't care if someone is mourning the loss of a person, a job, a relationship or a pencil, if they're experiencing shock and denial - two very common aspects of grief - then that loss is obviously having a profound affect on them and actually it's a bit inhumane to play down or completely disqualify their grief based on earnings. You don't need to audit people before deciding how much sympathy you're going to afford them mate.

SandyB (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 22:34
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
celine dion
Just a couple of points.

Just so I have this clear, are you suggesting that multi-millionaires should be denied compassion and empathy if they're mourning the loss of something, or is just Wenger mate?

I don't care if someone is mourning the loss of a person, a job, a relationship or a pencil, if they're experiencing shock and denial - two very common aspects of grief - then that loss is obviously having a profound affect on them and actually it's a bit inhumane to play down or completely disqualify their grief based on earnings. You don't need to audit people before deciding how much sympathy you're going to afford them mate.
Shano, stop this AKB ass licking mate. Wenger took 11m severance as parting gift while enjoying in 5 star hotels in Paris apparently shocked!! Absolutely fuc.king zero sympathy for him should be thankful for not being called a money grabbing cun.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/05/2018 22:36 by SandyB.

Shane (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 23:38
Quote:
CazOnARola
But visible i mean improvements in areas we lack like defensive discipline, counter attacks where only 2/3 players combine to score goals instead of needing half the team in the opposition half

Agree with this. With Aubameyang's speed, there's no reason why Arsenal can't be a devastating counter-attacking side once again.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 10:26
On the wage point, the average wage of a Top manager is 7m, the average wage for a Premier league manage is 4m.

Wenger took 8.5 million a year and wanted to give Liverpool 40mil + £1 for Suarez, this is coming from a man that supposedly loves the club but an Agent was going to give his own money to get Arshavin to the club.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 12:40
Unai Emery is a late entry into the running for the Arsenal Manager job...

According to the Daily Mail...

So looking more like it will be Arteta.

21 May, 2018 15:36
Emery will be a significant upgrade over Arteta in coaching, player management and winning.

TonyStark (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 16:58
ok, so, if Arteta is the guy, then why isn't it being announced ? they obviously aren't all in on him for whatever reason.
I'm hoping this is true. Emery isn't a bad idea, at this point.

Shane (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 17:59
Quote:
karsene16
On the wage point, the average wage of a Top manager is 7m, the average wage for a Premier league manage is 4m.
Wenger took 8.5 million a year and wanted to give Liverpool 40mil + £1 for Suarez, this is coming from a man that supposedly loves the club but an Agent was going to give his own money to get Arshavin to the club.

I think this belongs in your Bad Wenger Memories thread mate. This one is about Arteta, and whether elderly but wealthy human beings deserve empathy and compassion during times of strife on the basis that they can heal their suffering by buying a Ferrari or a condominium on the Costa Brava.

celine dion (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 18:47
Yes, and about that. I dont feel any sympathy for Wenger. Not one bit. The fact that the man manipulates emotions and adopts a hang-dog expression every time things dont go his way is one of the reasons he was able to get away with blue murder for as long as he did.

SandyB (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 18:48
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
karsene16

I think this belongs in your Bad Wenger Memories thread mate. This one is about Arteta, and whether elderly but wealthy human beings deserve empathy and compassion during times of strife on the basis that they can heal their suffering by buying a Ferrari or a condominium on the Costa Brava.

If you did your high school maths well, you could have easily figured out the old senile man you are sympathetic to made the kinda money from Arsenal in past 22 years could have been sufficient to buy major Arsenal shares for a boardroom place. Still finding sympathy???

Shane (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 20:52
Quote:
celine dion
Yes, and about that. I dont feel any sympathy for Wenger. Not one bit. The fact that the man manipulates emotions and adopts a hang-dog expression every time things dont go his way is one of the reasons he was able to get away with blue murder for as long as he did.

Probably isn't a fact though mate is it. I haven't seen any evidence of his masterclass in manipulation and I highly doubt there's any sort of smoking gun which would prove to a neutral party that he's a lanky Derren Brown.

As for sympathy, well I don't feel sorry for Wenger either, but we're talking about empathy, and compassion, and I'd be full of kindness and understanding for any 68-year-old bloke who struggles to digest the fact he is no longer doing the job that he did for 33% of his life. I don't care if the job is at Arsenal, earning a very good wage, or in the soap factory you referenced. It's a monumental change to your life and if you find yourself in a state of shock and denial over that change initially then it's pretty f*cking callous to cast judgement in my view.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net