football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Summer Transfer Rumours.
Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 18:11
Arsenal have held talks with Nice midfielder Jean Michael Seri's representatives, according to Sky Sports News

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2018 21:43 by Boston Gooner.

Re: Transfer Rumours.
15 May, 2018 18:14
Freiburg star Caglar Soyuncu is close to becoming an Arsenal player, according to reports. The centre-back was tipped to join Arsenal earlier this month.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 20:42
With or without a director of football, 'transfer negotiator' or bring out the oranges man as Wenger viewed him, surely the new manager should at least be consulted on new recruits.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 21:05
Buying players without a manager suggests the kind of manager they want. We are in for it

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 21:25
My thoughts exactly, I wonder when Arteta will be announced.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 21:31
I ask for director of footballs and head of recruitment and what not. But manager has to have a list thst he gives out to these folks and then they do the rest, if they can't get a particular guy then so be it, they move to next in the list. That way the manager doesn't get to think "id rather get a defender in for 30mn then get my b lister striker for 30mn". But it is ridiculous if we are signing players without consulting the manager.

It looks we are going to get a "coach" only and he won't be involved with player recruitment at all

SandyB (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 22:05
I wouldn't write off any of these guys signing they know what they are doing one of them is Dortmund veteran another one is Barca veteran.
Actually it's better to have a head coach with a brand new coaching team working with the head coach to shape up the players n make tactical decision during the game.

The Barca structure is way better than Wenger structure, where a backroom team will call the shots how the team wants to play what's the long time vision for team to progress and even not just the head coach a director of football will be involved in tactical preparation of the team for each game throughout the season.

Having said that, I do have strong reservation on Arteta, I think they could do far better than Arteta even recruiting the head coach.

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 23:10
Seri is a lesser version of N'Golo Kanté.

Naiggolan/Arturo Vidal is the type of enforcer we need.

litmus (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 07:49
Naiggolan for me. That's a proper midfield enforcer, but Jorginho or Lemina could also work.

Re: Summer Transfer Rumours.
16 May, 2018 22:10
Reports from Germany indicate Arsenal are ready to pay Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper Bernd Leno’s buyout clause.

kudzif01 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 22:51
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
Buying players without a manager suggests the kind of manager they want. We are in for it

How do you think things have been done in mainland Europe for over a decade now, and at barca and Madrid do you think the managers decide purchases.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 23:02
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Reports from Germany indicate Arsenal are ready to pay Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper Bernd Leno’s buyout clause.

He's shite! FFS!

Goofle (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 02:09
Quote:
SaltnPeppah
Seri is a lesser version of N'Golo Kanté.

You only need to watch about 1 minute of footage to see that he's nothing like Kante. Closer to Wilshere.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 03:55
Seri is offensive and he isn't very tall. I thought we were going more physical players considering we have xhaka. Either ways i dont understand that the same players that run with 50mn pounds budget stories run with us blowing 40mn on seri.

This is just his agent trying to get him a move to a better club

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 03:56
I d be very surprised if we bought any player that we knew the name of this season. It's gonna be like mavropanos, of course more experienced, but not someone touted by the press until the deal is very close.

The new manager has to first prove himself and they may give more money next season based on his ability the work with what he has. They might also be willing to sacrifice another season without champions league.

The first target for the new man might just be chairmen for the top 4 and do better than wenger last year, even if he finished 5th. If wenger were still in charge, we d have write off this season as well, so I'm not too worried

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/05/2018 03:59 by CazOnARola.

SandyB (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 04:34
Quote:
CazOnARola
I d be very surprised if we bought any player that we knew the name of this season. It's gonna be like mavropanos, of course more experienced, but not someone touted by the press until the deal is very close.
The new manager has to first prove himself and they may give more money next season based on his ability the work with what he has. They might also be willing to sacrifice another season without champions league.

The first target for the new man might just be chairmen for the top 4 and do better than wenger last year, even if he finished 5th. If wenger were still in charge, we d have write off this season as well, so I'm not too worried
Agreed, get ready for all the full of potential but unknown players n that’s why they want to have a understudy head coach. It’s rebuilding time but while rebuilding they need to be careful of not junking the squad which is already pretty sh.t gifted from Wenger era. If they follow the Liverpool rebuilding model then they need to sign odd Suarez, Coutinho type potential future world class players, not easy to find but that’s the gamble.
The most important thing with this strategy is to move fast n get the business done swiftly.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 06:26
The word is CHEAP we will see it's the way the club will go

A shadow of what we were

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 09:48
Our scouting failed us miserably. Coutinho cost less than 20 and sureaz about 22.

Wenger was right in saying that price didn't always dictate the quality of a player. But the pbm of course was poor scouting network kept suggesting the gervinho s and wellington silvas of the world instead we had players like coutinho (who always had good dribble and shooting abilities, other things he improved on) or even mahrez or kante bought by Leicester.

The are plenty of good players out there considering the pool of players available around.

Our scouting in SA has been absolutely @#$%& and most of the flair players come from that continent.

Lets see what the German connection does for us

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2018 19:44 by CazOnARola.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 16:02
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Quote:
Boston Gooner

He's shite! FFS!

But he's saved 9 penalties out of 31 faced in his career so he must be good

tigerline (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 18:04
Swiss captain, Lichtsteiner.
34-year old RB, and possible CB?, might be coming on a free from Juventus.

[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 25/05/2018 18:59 by tigerline.

SandyB (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 18:47
Emery won’t sign Lichtsteiner, too old, they will sign some unknown youngsters.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 01:41
Quote:
SandyB
Emery won’t sign Lichtsteiner, too old, they will sign some unknown youngsters.
This. Also don't believe the Seri, Johnny Evans, etc.

I'm just waiting for the benzema to arsenal rumors again smiling smiley.

The journos just recycle the same old transfer stories every season. It's going to be all unknowns folks

PKGooner (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 02:21
Lichtsteiner seems to be on the verge of being completed.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 02:33
Didn't realize it's a free transfer, that fits in with the current mood in the club management hierarchy.

It, also means they are expecting bellerin to step up again under Unai

SandyB (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 04:08
Quote:
PKGooner
Well, may be stop gap FB for stop gap head coach n bellerin gets one more year to improve but Lichtsteiner was top player 6 years ago.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 09:30
“Arsenal are currently the clear odds-on favourites at 1/2 to sign N’Zonzi as the newly appointed Emery looks to strengthen a Gunners squad that could only manage to secure sixth place in the Premier League this season.
“Arsenal’s North London rivals Tottenham Hotspur are priced as second favourites at 5/1,
“Manchester United and Chelsea remain the clear market outsiders at 8/1 and 10/1 respectively for the former Stoke man.”

Now, that is what we need in the centre, a powerful and physical N'Zonzi who had been around with Stoke City.

"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is a success.”
Henry Ford

litmus (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 05:11
Quote:
PKGooner

Lichsteiner would be good. A proper top defender, good size. Deceptively fast speed for a big sized RB. Solid and spent years of Juve, so schooled right!. Right now, "solid" is what the team needs. Hope this is done. And for free!

SandyB (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 05:22
Quote:
litmus
Quote:
PKGooner

Lichsteiner would be good. A proper top defender, good size. Deceptively fast speed for a big sized RB. Solid and spent years of Juve, so schooled right!. Right now, "solid" is what the team needs. Hope this is done. And for free!
Agree but the only thing he passed his time not really an exciting signing but could be pragmatic signing n if it happens will be good for Europa competition.

tigerline (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 15:29
We are not that fast up front.

One more piece that we need to add is a young, speedy winger that can be properly trained and developed into a tactical weapon - unlike what happened during the lost and wasted years of Theo Walcott.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 21:19
Quote:
tigerline
One more piece that we need to add is a young, speedy winger that can be properly trained and developed into a tactical weapon - unlike what happened during the lost and wasted years of Theo Walcott.

Emery might be looking towards developing Nelson for that role.

litmus (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 03:39
He can develop Nelson, Adelaide all he wants, but if he wants to keep his job, don't do a Wenger by putting development ahead of trophies. People are generally excited by young talent but Nelson is not even half ready. He should be loaned out to gain real first team experience.

How many goals and assist did Nelson contribute when he came on? Compare that to a Mahrez or Fekir who are proven players who scores loads and makes assists. I am sick of Arsenal being a school, and having a 'father figure' as our manager. Young players should only get games if they prove they are better than the others, not by virtue of being a young talent. Iwobi was a case in point, did he really get all those games based on merit? Or just that Arsene liked him immensely as a person (not footballer) or to show the footballing world that he develops young players.

The Rooneys and the Gerrards, Cesc, they were exceptional at a very young age, hence deserved their breakthroughs. Don't get me wrong, I want them Nelson, Adelaide to succeed and be our own developed Messi but only if they deserve it.

31 May, 2018 15:29
Quote:
litmus
... Don't get me wrong, I want them Nelson, Adelaide to succeed and be our own developed Messi but only if they deserve it.

Need to give Emery a chance to bring players like Nelson to their maximum potential quickly and get them ready to play in the first team. Emery will get performance metrics from Gazidis which he needs to meet to keep his job and I am sure they will include winning something or getting more points in the league or making top 4. He will not jeopardise meeting his metrics to experiment with youngsters in his team especially when they are not ready.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 15:53
Nothing to get excited about this summer I fear.

To be honest could be this way for a while. We did sign a world class strike win January though. So that gives us half a chance of winning games.

weedz (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 12:37
There's a bit of talk going round that we are trying to sign N'Zonzi from Savile. He's been talked about transferring to us for a couple of years now. Maybe it's about to happen. A possible replacement for Wilshere, I'd suggest.

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 19:25
Quote:
weedz
There's a bit of talk going round that we are trying to sign N'Zonzi from Savile. He's been talked about transferring to us for a couple of years now. Maybe it's about to happen. A possible replacement for Wilshere, I'd suggest.

N'Zonzi is nothing like Wilshere.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

weedz (IP Logged)
03 June, 2018 14:08
Quote:
Optimistic Gunner
Quote:
weedz

N'Zonzi is nothing like Wilshere.

You are quite correct there, OG. A physical upgrade is what I meant to say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2018 00:48 by weedz.

tigerline (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 16:00
It is indeed a strange new world:

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

I guess that we should be ready for almost anything in this new set-up.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 16:07
Latest news or rumors:

Emery is looking at Felliani on a free transfer.

Perhaps no dough in the kitty and Mislintat and Emery are instructed to find the best players on a free transfer.

Current players on a free transfer:

#1 - Lichteinser - RB backup to Bellerin.
#2 - SOkaratis for 15-mil or Jonny Evans at 3-mil?

#3 - Bernard, a winger on free transfer?

#4 - Felliani or Emre Can on a free transfer?

Look like instruction to Emery is to make do with existing squad, coach them to another level and promote youngsters.

You cna buy any players you want as long as they are within 70-mil budget plus whatever money you got from selling off those Wenger's love-children.

"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is a success.”
Henry Ford

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 16:08
Just his agent or media making stuff up.. No way are we in for him. Nzonzi makes sense in terms of physicality considering what we need and his links to emery

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 16:11
15-mil - Sokratis
27-mil - N'Zonzi

And that left 28-mil to buy a goalie and a winger plus player sale.

Henry Ford

04 June, 2018 17:36
The most important Arsenal transfer imo is the replacement of Wenger with Emery.

04 June, 2018 20:04
According to various sources, Arsenal are set to talk to Marouane Fellaini’s representatives in a late bid to lure the Belgian to the Emirates on a free transfer. (Sm22)

SandyB (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 20:10
Some things never changes.. FREE TRANSFER! (Sm22)

Bergmars (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 05:48
We will find out now they do not have Wenger to take the bullets.

A shadow of what we were

SuperRob (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 19:37
Lichsteiner is a done deal. Underwhelming first signing and nothing to get excited about but probably a logical move. We needed a backup right back and he adds experience and hopefully some leadership to the squad. And no point on spending lots on a backup player.

Now onto some first choice centre backs and centre midfielders.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 11:02
The players we're being linked with are f ucking average!

We are going nowhere if we don't sign top players, we've got enough average players as it is.

Flava (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 11:12
Not all signings can be Aubamayangs. We need some players in who will kick people and accidently elbow people in the face.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 11:20
We need top players in the first team. So far most of the players linked would struggle to make the bench at the other top 4 clubs, what does that tell you?

Flava (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 12:13
It tells me we are only linked with them and the media make stuff up. I thought you liked Sokratis and you can't quibble too much about a RB who played 30+ games for Juventus and will provide short term cover for Bellerin

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 12:30
Better than playing maintland niles there or Nelson.
Defensive organization has a bigger role to play than individuals.

Lets see what emery does there. I'm not worried about signings this year

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2018 12:32 by CazOnARola.

tigerline (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 16:26
Quote:
tigerline

Reading that Arsenal might be pursuing Malcolm and Gelson which would confirm that we do see the need to fill that missing component.

06 June, 2018 16:33
West Brom defender Jonny Evans has agreed to join Leicester after they met his relegation release clause, according to Sky sources.

Thank god for that.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 00:46
Quote:
tigerline
Quote:
tigerline

Reading that Arsenal might be pursuing Malcolm and Gelson which would confirm that we do see the need to fill that missing component.
Anything remotely pacy and slightly intelligent costs upward of 35mn. Expect that to be Aubameyang and to an extent welbeck for the coming season and Nelson in the cups.

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 21:57
- Fekir to Liverpool imminent
- Lemar to Atletico Madrid, hot

tigerline (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 15:18
Lots of chatter today about our interest in DM Lucas Torreira.

If not for Kante, who is also 5’6”, I would be quite skeptical about the effectiveness of a midget DM in the Premier League.

But, he does appear to be quick and have a knack for the interception.

09 June, 2018 23:21
Arsenal have now taken a major step towards securing the signing of a new midfielder who could potentially be a replacement for Granit Xhaka, according to reports on Friday.

The Gunners have been active in the transfer market so far this summer after choosing to replace Arsene Wenger with former Paris Saint-Germain boss Unai Emery.

And following the arrival of Stephan Lichtsteiner earlier in the week, the new Arsenal manager is chasing the services of Sampdoria star Lucas Torreira.

According to a report by Italian source SampNews24, the Serie A side have reached an agreement with Arsenal, who are to pay the £21.9million (€25million) release clause in Torreira’s contract.

The 22-year-old is a hard-working holding midfielder and the Gunners are believed to be one of several big clubs who have been tracking his performances.

A deal to sign Torreira could help improve Arsenal’s understrength midfield which was often criticised last season after inconsistent displays from Granit Xhaka in particular.

Born in Fray Bentos Uruguay (Sm160)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2018 23:30 by Boston Gooner.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 09:57
Lucas Torreira, Rabiot or Maitland-Niles at the base of the diamond?

Mkhitaryan, Ozil, Ramsey, Iwobi, Wilshere, a new winger and who else to occupy the other 3 positions in a diamond formation?

Strikeforce - AUbaneyang, Lacazette,Welbeck and Nketiah and who else?

Look like Emery is forming a squad with depth and that can compete in Europe and League without "tiredness, mentally and physically exhausted by Feb 2019"?

Still lots of opaqueness and really has no idea what will the squad be like under Unai Emery when pre-season starts on 2 July.

Henry Ford

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 10:11
Let's check out our 17 slots in a 25-man squad for foreign players:

Our foreign players:
1 - Cech
2 - Ospina or Leno?
3 - Koscielny
4 - Mustafi
5 - Monreal
6 - Kolasinac
7 - Lichtstiener
8 - 21 year old Mavropanos or 22 year old Syconuc or another 22/24 year old+ CB?
9 - Xhaka
10- Elneny
11- Ozil
12- Mkhitaryan
13- Aubameyang
14- Lacazette
15- Perez
16- Joel Campbell
17- Sokratis?
18- Lucas Torreira or Rabiot or N'zonzi?
19- Another striker or centre-forward?
20- new full back?
21- Fosberg or another winger?

If Emery is to get those players he wanted, he will need to free up 4 slots to comply with the 17 no foreign players.

SandyB (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 21:42
Quote:
SaltnPeppah
- Fekir to Liverpool imminent
- Lemar to Atletico Madrid, hot
Hyped players.
Did Lucas Torreira get into Uruguay’s 23 men squad?

younghansolo (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 22:33
Quote:
tigerline
Lots of chatter today about our interest in DM Lucas Torreira.
If not for Kante, who is also 5’6”, I would be quite skeptical about the effectiveness of a midget DM in the Premier League.

But, he does appear to be quick and have a knack for the interception.

Makalele

10 June, 2018 23:48
Quote:
SandyB
Did Lucas Torreira get into Uruguay’s 23 men squad?

Yes.

Eboractos (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 10:33
Quote:
Boston Gooner
A deal to sign Torreira could help improve Arsenal’s understrength midfield which was often criticised last season after inconsistent displays from Granit Xhaka in particular.

Born in Fray Bentos Uruguay (Sm160)

We should sign him, if only so that we can sing Who Ate All The Pies

tigerline (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 04:48
One story says that we are close to signing Leno as our new keeper.
[sportwitness.co.uk]

13 June, 2018 10:04
Arseblog.
Leno certainly fits the age profile, although he has been an unconvincing performer for the Bundesliga outfit, with lapses in concentration and mistakes peppering his game. 😁😁

litmus (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 14:41
Leno is no upgrade over Cech. In fact there's not many exceptional keepers around unlike previous era. Even the best England keeprs - Hart, Butland, Pope, Heaton is nowhere near the levels of Schmeicel, Seaman, Shilton, Jennings, Southall.

I know Cech is on the wane, but unless we can get Neuer or Ter Stegen, we shouldn't spend half of our transfer budget on an average keeper.

I'd rather use the little money available and focus on other positions. Cech can still do the job if we have a much better defense in front of him. Better defenders and a proper defensive system and coaching is key.

tigerline (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 15:09
We WILL be selling players.
Those sales will enlarge our budget sufficiently.
We HAVE to sign a new No. 1 keeper.
To say that Cech is on the wane is putting it mildly.
Cech can be a respected, helpful No. 2 keeper who could help Leno steady his game.

20 June, 2018 22:42
Another midfielder rumour.

Ever Banega.

With Sevilla looking to raise funds, Banega is reportedly being offered out to other clubs and Arsenal and Barcelona are said to be interested. Under Emery previously, Banega has played as a fairly deep-lying number 10.

He may turn 30 this year, but Sevilla are only asking for around €12 million for the technically gifted midfielder. The latest reports suggest Arsenal have a serious interest in the deal with Emery keen to unite with his former player.

We seem to have a lot of midfielders if signings go through.
They all won't get first team places regular.
Maybe Ramsey is off.

tigerline (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 02:03
I see Banega as offering quality, versatile midfield depth, not as a frontline starter.

The trust between manager and player is important.
No bearing on Ramsey, IMO, unless it is insurance from injury.

litmus (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 04:10
I saw Sevilla games fleetingly, and Banega does play with high intensity and energy. He is always coming into dangerous positions when attacking, and is very good at link up plays. Not sure about his end product though.

Would make a good addition, but I would have preferred we break the bank for Saul Niguez. Complete dynamic midfielder with his best years ahead of him.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 07:44
Recall Banega being an absolute star on Football Manager way back.

We currently have Ramsey, Xhaka, Elneny, Maitland-Niles as out-and-out midfielders, plus Iwobi, Mkhitaryan and Ozil, and Torreira possibly on the way. Surely we'll only sign another if someone (presumably Ramsey) is off?

Bergmars (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 08:56
Quote:
MattySadler
Recall Banega being an absolute star on Football Manager way back.
We currently have Ramsey, Xhaka, Elneny, Maitland-Niles as out-and-out midfielders, plus Iwobi, Mkhitaryan and Ozil, and Torreira possibly on the way. Surely we'll only sign another if someone (presumably Ramsey) is off?
Agree

A shadow of what we were

22 June, 2018 10:32
Arsenal manager Unai Emery has reportedly given the go-ahead for the Gunners to seal the transfer of CSKA Moscow midfielder Aleksandr Golovin.

Goofle (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 11:04
Can't see us getting him. Too good for us.

24 June, 2018 22:29
Medhi Benatia has been put up for sale by Juventus and Arsenal are reportedly ready to meet the defender’s release clause.

31 years old.
Hope this one is just a rumour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net