football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Wenger's last game v Burnley - 5-0 result
djarse (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 19:39
Er no one seems to have noticed/commented

Wasn't able to go but seems we put on a pretty good performance - Aub got two, Laca one more. And Mavrapanos in central defence had another good game apparently with Chambers.

Hopeful signs perhaps ..... ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2018 21:58 by Padre Pio.

Re: Wenger's last game v Burnley - 5-0 result
Padre Pio (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 19:42
I was there Davy, a sound performance, could have been more.
The crowd united to give Wenger a very good farewell.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Shane (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 22:29
Quote:
djarse

We all noticed the significance of the game. Nobody commented on here because some weren't around and the ones who were don't want to be seen as an AKB. This is the status quo on here I think.

It's a bit like how you couldn't converse with an Irishman in the UK during the 80s without being considered an IRA member or associate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2018 22:30 by Shane.

djarse (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 23:05
Certainly seems odd that such a significant game was so overlooked ....

I have supported the view for the last two years that it was time for Arsene to move on, but it does seem that many people here "threw the baby out with the bathwater" when assessing his role and achievements for the club.

He had fallen behind the curve with the most modern approaches to the game, and his Achilles heel was always a failure to build a solid defensive unit to allow the free flowing attacking game he craved to flourish.

I'm sure that the next manager will address that. But I don't share the dominant view here that the team is rotten - I think there are some very good young players that should be promoted (interesting that Ian Wright said the same tonight on MOTM 2) and some exciting attacking players like Aubameyang. I think in two years we could be back into contention.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 23:20
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
djarse

We all noticed the significance of the game. Nobody commented on here because some weren't around and the ones who were don't want to be seen as an AKB. This is the status quo on here I think.

It's a bit like how you couldn't converse with an Irishman in the UK during the 80s without being considered an IRA member or associate.

(Sm119)

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

06 May, 2018 23:24
Good performance.

Good farewell.
Good riddance.

Now let's get down to getting a new manager and sorting the players and club out.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 23:32
I think disappointment from Thursday probably affected it Davy. Also the match had no significance as Arsenal had already been guaranteed an Europa cup place, and also little chance of Burnley leapfrogging them in table. The weather was glorious so why stay in to type in on a forum with no major broadcast of the match (maybe some dodgy streams).

I wanted Wenger to go, but I am glad we gave him a good send off, I dont think it would help the club, team, staff or players, after his departure, to make it vitriolic.

Clearly the next manager is going to have to sort out the wheat from the chaff, and try and unravel why the team underperformed, was it poor players or poor management.We now have a chance to find out.
I also think that it is no longer clear what the best midfield is, and who the best midfielders are.

It will seem odd attending next year with a new manager after 22 years, and breaking up is never easy even if you are really sick of the person you are leaving, or are leaving you.
The fans were united today, WoBs and AKBs, nobody made accusations at each other, how would that help, change is now coming.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Shane (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 00:24
Boston Gooner's match threads look like they're written by Spurs fans so I'm glad there is none. It would've gone like this.

"1-0 Arsenal. Shite shot from Lacazette and Aubameyang is luckily in the right place at the right time to tap home from one yard. It was an open goal. He couldn't miss. I'm not sure it should even count."

"Burnley going forward. FFS here we go they'll score now. Just watch."

"2-0 Arsenal. Lacazette doubles the lead with a weird volley. If only he did that against Stoke back in August, when they beat us 1-0, the same Stoke that were relegated yesterday. Pathetic loss that was."

"3-0 Arsenal. Kolasinac makes it three by thumping past the Burnley keeper who should've done better. This goal was a reflection on him, not Kolasinac."

"4-0 Arsenal. Iwobi fires into the roof of the net. One inch higher and it would've been over the bar so bit of good fortune there me thinks."

"5-0 Arsenal. Aubameyang with another tap-in, but they all count apparently."

"Welbeck hits the crossbar. Typical."

"Good win but Burnley never turned up. Tottenham would've beaten them by nine."

"COYS."

tigerline (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 02:46
I am looking forward to the new manager.

djarse (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 10:22
Good post Padre

I thought Iwobi played very well yesterday (he gets a bad press on here) and Bellerin two assists (another who is unpopular on this site).

Let's hope the new manager can resurrect their careers

07 May, 2018 10:27
Quote:
Shane
Boston Gooner's match threads look like they're written by Spurs fans so I'm glad there is none. It would've gone like this.
"1-0 Arsenal. Shite shot from Lacazette and Aubameyang is luckily in the right place at the right time to tap home from one yard. It was an open goal. He couldn't miss. I'm not sure it should even count."

"Burnley going forward. FFS here we go they'll score now. Just watch."

"2-0 Arsenal. Lacazette doubles the lead with a weird volley. If only he did that against Stoke back in August, when they beat us 1-0, the same Stoke that were relegated yesterday. Pathetic loss that was."

"3-0 Arsenal. Kolasinac makes it three by thumping past the Burnley keeper who should've done better. This goal was a reflection on him, not Kolasinac."

"4-0 Arsenal. Iwobi fires into the roof of the net. One inch higher and it would've been over the bar so bit of good fortune there me thinks."

"5-0 Arsenal. Aubameyang with another tap-in, but they all count apparently."

"Welbeck hits the crossbar. Typical."

"Good win but Burnley never turned up. Tottenham would've beaten them by nine."

"COYS."

Where are Wenger and you going ?

Bergmars (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 10:45
He rightfully got a great send off no agenda here lets hope they get the new appointment right

A shadow of what we were

Shane (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 13:36
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Where are Wenger and you going ?

In times like these I get a real sadness and empathy for those poor people who were executed in Salem for being witches. I know only too well how annoying and futile it can be to try and convince a bunch of pitchfork-wielding clowns that you're not what they say you are.

At least those 'witches' in Salem were given the escape of being hanged, whereas I've had to live among the crazies, the Boston Gooners, the Sandys. I've had to suffer their irrationality knowing that no amount of common sense will change it.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 14:00
Let's not imitate Japanese soldiers who still hadn't surrendered 40 years after the war had finished. Let's all move on as a new chapter starts.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 20:46
Had work yesterday so I missed the first half an hour or so, but I thought Iwobi and Mkhitaryan had good games.

Chambers looked really assured for the third game in a row, and the fans have really taken to Mavropanos.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 06:46
Quote:
MattySadler
Had work yesterday so I missed the first half an hour or so, but I thought Iwobi and Mkhitaryan had good games.
Chambers looked really assured for the third game in a row, and the fans have really taken to Mavropanos.
Fans have taken to him because he is doing the basics and so thinking that he is 20, they expect more from him.

Ive closely watched chambers and fell he relishes the responsibility. He has played his best when he isn't alongside kos or mustafi.

I think he will be a good back up player next season and maybe step up like we all thought he would after his first 6 months as a CB at the club

MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 06:56
Yes Mavropanos seems to have transferred his form for the U23s to the first team seamlessly. Promising stuff.

I'd be interested to see how he, Chambers and Holding do with some proper defensive coaching. I saw a lot of Chambers last season for Middlesbrough and he was consistently solid.

litmus (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 08:51
Quote:
MattySadler

Yeah, spot on. Lets rate the players shall we?

Cech - 7 - Solid, Burnley hardly threatened but was commanding and well positioned when he was needed. Improved on his kicking. Probably dont deserve high marks for but can't fault a keeper for not being troubled either
Bellerin - 8 - Good in the attack with his assists, still not sure with him in defense as Burnley hardly threatened
Chambers - 8 Who is this new guy? Seems like a different player from before. Good game, you guys noticed him making many good interceptions high up the pitch?
Mavropanos - 7 - Solid enough but wasn't really tested. Looks really strong in the challenge tough and reads game well
Kolasinac 7.5 - looked dangerous throughout, extra marks for the goal and for his low cross that almost resulted in a goal

Xhaka 8 - thought he was very good, won challenges, won freekicks, and passing was good. Made himself felt in midfield without getting himself sent off.
Mkihtaryan - 8.5 toss between him and Auba for MOTM. Almost scored with the left foot curler, wanted the ball all the time, and was ready to take on defenders. Made things happen with his dynamism. Ozil, this is how you effect a game.
Jack - 7 - one of his better games, some good moments but still not doing enough for me.
Iwobi - one of his best games this season although was sloppy sometimes. Extra point for his well taken goal - 7.5
Aubameyang 8.5 - well taken goals and an assist, knows how to get into space and how to finish. The second goal was not that easy but the way he anticipated the pass and shuffle his feet shows why he has scored many goals for Dortmund.
Lacazette - 8 - good assist and goal, better link-up today

What can I say, I thought everyone had a very good game. No stinkers. The passing and link up play was great, most importantly we didn't commit too many turnovers, kept the ball well, and when we lost it there was good team play and support. Maybe I am also being a bit generous cos its AW last game or maybe everyone really raise their games due to the occasion.

I wonder if they'll keep this up for Leicester to get our first PL away points in 2018, or we'll revert to what we have been all season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net