football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Poll: How many players are Arsenal away from the Title?
karsene16 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 13:22

How many players need to be bought to win the league next season?

10+

You must be logged in to vote.

23 Votes

Show results

Be as honest as you can be

Re: Poll: How many players are Arsenal away from the Title?
BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 13:41
At least 7, we need a new keeper and whole back 4 for a start. A good DCM and a winger.

This is the bare minimum.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Bergmars (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 14:44
I voted six.
GK
LB
RB
2CB
DM
Keep Ospina as number 2 get shot of Mustaffi keep the full backs as cover get shot of Xakha

A shadow of what we were

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2018 14:47 by Bergmars.

SandyB (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 14:56
My answer to the thread is there is no realistic number of players Arsenal could sign to win the title next season. Next season title challenge is not even an option infact challenging 4th place will be very hard. There is whole lot of rebuilding of entire team, style of play, training, mental strength building up n lot more is needed even before thinking about competing sorry to say even with spuds. Wenger is leaving the club that bad.

The new managerial team's first priority to do an assessment quickly how to even start the rebuilding. Most of the people n experts will say simple it's obvious it's the defense that's pis.s poor so they need to start working from the back. Well, true, at least partially true but I'm saying this for past 3 seasons that the midfield is pretty much pis.s poor too. The current MF neither has quality enforcers or consistent top quality creators. The best we can describe the current MF is mediocre n invisible against better teams.

Now talking about forwards not gonna disappoint you folks but the forwards are nothing standout at the best mediocre.

So as you can see there are really plenty of works to be done for the new manager n even miraculously beyond expectations let alone realistically.

So it's entirely upto the next managerial team to decide how to build the team, I mean where to start. Only thing I could see starting at the MF isn't option, it has to be either from the back which is highly likely or from the top which is much harder.
Another major challenge the new managerial team has to get the trust of the club hierarchy aka Kroenke's before they would spend any substantial money in transfer market that could make the job for new managerial team even harder.
So realistically, what I see a pragmatic new managerial team will try to reinforce the defense by adding at least one CB, one or two players in FB position n probably one player in MF n one in forward position.
Having said all these the biggest challenge for the new managerial team is to impose strict accountability which was completely unheard off in Wenger era so that every players performs to the best of their abilities otherwise there should be consequences to their career.

holzini (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 15:06
we have no bench so thats 4 players at least
we didn´t replace the outgoings of january in numbers and need a new spine - again 4 players.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2018 15:06 by holzini.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 15:14
Thought a new manager would get more out of the team. Now I'm not so sure they will. We have some pretty poor players.

So it's 7 players for me.
And they have to be top class.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

SandyB (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 15:18
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Thought a new manager would get more out of the team. Now I'm not so sure they will. We have some pretty poor players.

Are you saying adding 7 top class players we can challenge the title? (Sm100)
I'm guessing by top class you aren't looking for Ronaldo, Neymar, Messi etc.. (Sm124)

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 15:24
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
Boston Gooner

I'm guessing by top class you aren't looking for Ronaldo, Neymar, Messi etc.. (Sm124)

I wish. lol

Players have to be better than your Ospina's, Mustafi's, Xhaks's, Wilsheres,and Welbecks etc.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

SandyB (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 15:43
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
Boston Gooner

I wish. lol

Players have to be better than your Ospina's, Mustafi's, Xhaks's, Wilsheres,and Welbecks etc.
Agree but unless they aren't that Messi, Ronaldo quality even top quality potential players say players like Salah, Firmino, Van Dijk etc didn't win them the league in 1st season. It will take few years.

tigerline (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 15:58
At least three years away.

Right now, we need a DM, a CB, and a GK, at a minimum.
Adding some outside speed would be a plus as well.

And we have room for improvement at nearly every other position.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2018 15:58 by tigerline.

Shane (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 16:55
We could win the Premier League with five or six additions. We'll hopefully have no European football next season as a distraction and if we buy right, and use them right, then it's really not a stretch.

I'm perfectly happy with Monreal, Ramsey, Mkhitaryan, Ozil, Lacazette and Aubameyang, though I'm hopeful some other players - the likes of Bellerin and Xhaka - will get a lot better under a regime where they aren't guaranteed to play every single week no matter what.

These players have been under Wenger's protection for a long time and they won't be rewarded for incompetency any longer. That renewed incentive should, in theory, make them raise their games. If they don't then thanks for your service to Arsenal and there's the door lads.

That's why you can't really make concrete assessments over some of our more incompetent players, because they're untested outside of an environment where their incompetency isn't enabled. We judge them by the incompetency that Wenger has allowed to blossom and therefore it doesn't make sense to definitvely say whether they're good enough or not before we've seen how they react to the different stimulus.

Some of them look like absolute clowns; not because they're inherently foolish and comical players, but because Wenger condones slapstick behaviour on a football pitch by not creating an environment of which errors are punished. This has been the case for a long time.

However, the new era will bring about a fight or flight-type reaction in a lot of the players we deem inadequate and you'll probably find that some aren't anywhere near as bad as we think. Some will get a fire in their belly because they know, for the first time, that they're on the chopping block, while others will curl up in the foetal position, before being shipped out.

If you combine the good players we already have - the ones I mentioned earlier - and the ones who could improve quite a bit then Arsenal, under the new manager, won't be in bad shape. But if you then add five or six very good players into the mix, which in turn promotes a level of long-lost competition in the squad, then we can be quite a decent team again. It hinges on the manager and the recruitment, but Wenger won't have anything to do with either and therefore he can't be blamed if it goes t*ts up for the next few years.

For his part, he leaves behind some very capable footballers, some players with the potential to improve a lot in the new era and - let's face it - some horrible playrs who won't get better, but the next manager will inherit enough quality, and the recruitment team will inherit enough money, to make Arsenal a force again. Whether they do or not is on them. As I said yesterday, Wenger gets no blame or no praise from me for anything that happens at Arsenal from the day he leaves. A new era means a new era.

SandyB (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 17:53
Quote:
For his part, he leaves behind some very capable footballers, some players with the potential to improve a lot in the new era and - let's face it - some horrible playrs who won't get better, but the next manager will inherit enough quality, and the recruitment team will inherit enough money, to make Arsenal a force again. Whether they do or not is on them. As I said yesterday, Wenger gets no blame or no praise from me for anything that happens at Arsenal from the day he leaves. A new era means a new era.

You wrote quite a bit of stuff that makes sense but then saying stuff like "As I said yesterday, Wenger gets no blame or no praise from me for anything that happens at Arsenal from the day he leaves. A new era means a new era." is the AKB in you speaking, mate. (Sm6)
Wenger will be blamed for the damn team he's leaving behind after fuc.king 22 years, even Harry fuc.king Houdini can't transform a team finished 6th or 7th to a title winning team in one year. Get some grip, mate.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 19:31
Quote:
tigerline
At least three years away.
Right now, we need a DM, a CB, and a GK, at a minimum.
Adding some outside speed would be a plus as well.

And we have room for improvement at nearly every other position.
i said 5 but those 3 are the bare min to stay top 6 next season

Bergmars (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 19:43
Quote:
Shane
We could win the Premier League with five or six additions. We'll hopefully have no European football next season as a distraction and if we buy right, and use them right, then it's really not a stretch.
I'm perfectly happy with Monreal, Ramsey, Mkhitaryan, Ozil, Lacazette and Aubameyang, though I'm hopeful some other players - the likes of Bellerin and Xhaka - will get a lot better under a regime where they aren't guaranteed to play every single week no matter what.

These players have been under Wenger's protection for a long time and they won't be rewarded for incompetency any longer. That renewed incentive should, in theory, make them raise their games. If they don't then thanks for your service to Arsenal and there's the door lads.

That's why you can't really make concrete assessments over some of our more incompetent players, because they're untested outside of an environment where their incompetency isn't enabled. We judge them by the incompetency that Wenger has allowed to blossom and therefore it doesn't make sense to definitvely say whether they're good enough or not before we've seen how they react to the different stimulus.

Some of them look like absolute clowns; not because they're inherently foolish and comical players, but because Wenger condones slapstick behaviour on a football pitch by not creating an environment of which errors are punished. This has been the case for a long time.

However, the new era will bring about a fight or flight-type reaction in a lot of the players we deem inadequate and you'll probably find that some aren't anywhere near as bad as we think. Some will get a fire in their belly because they know, for the first time, that they're on the chopping block, while others will curl up in the foetal position, before being shipped out.

If you combine the good players we already have - the ones I mentioned earlier - and the ones who could improve quite a bit then Arsenal, under the new manager, won't be in bad shape. But if you then add five or six very good players into the mix, which in turn promotes a level of long-lost competition in the squad, then we can be quite a decent team again. It hinges on the manager and the recruitment, but Wenger won't have anything to do with either and therefore he can't be blamed if it goes t*ts up for the next few years.

Agree with pretty much all of this with some organisation motivation and responsibility the present squad will improve

A shadow of what we were

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2018 19:47 by Bergmars.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 19:46
GK, RB, CB, CB, LB, DM, CM, so 7, plus we also have no wide players so throw in another 1 or 2, plus we'll also have to replace any first team players who leave, so you're looking at 10+.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 19:47
Quote:
Shane

Agree with this. Always said we'd see much better performances from these footballers if they were actually used like proper footballers.

Edit:

To me Bellerin is a prime example for someone who needs taking out of his comfort zone and having to fight for his position. The last few years he has been allowed to swan about like a fashionista dandy type with no real competition for the right back spot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2018 19:52 by MattySadler.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 19:49
Quote:
MattySadler
GK, RB, CB, CB, LB, DM, CM, so 7, plus we also have no wide players so throw in another 1 or 2, plus we'll also have to replace any first team players who leave, so you're looking at 10+.
It takes us a window to sign one player this could send the club into melt down

A shadow of what we were

karsene16 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 21:06
Currently the average is 6 players.

Say 30mil each and we're looking at a Pep Guardiola total of 180mil to get Arsenal back in the game.

GK 2CB's RB DM and CM

SandyB (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 22:09
Quote:
karsene16
Say 30mil each and we're looking at a Pep Guardiola total of 180mil to get Arsenal back in the game.

GK 2CB's RB DM and CM

Even forwards aren't good enough to win the league. This team is far far away from winning the league now.
Compare with
Sane, Aguero, Jesus,
or
Salah, Firmino, Mane
or
Son, Kane....

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 22:50
I would say 4 under the new manager.

He will not have funds and will need to sell before he can buy.

1 - a new goalie
2 - a new LB
3 - a creative and pacy winger to complement Mkhitaryan.
4 - a new striker (I want Lacazette sold).

Cech will be out of contract and Ospina will not stay.

CB - be realistic. It is a matter of re-organisation and providing a shield in front of them. Even Fab-4 leaks goals without a shield in front of them. It was Dec 1997 Xäms party that Tony Adams complained to Wenger, who then fine-tuned the tactics with either Vieira or Petit stayed back as a shield instead of both of them playing gungho football and forgot to defend.

DCM - I would rather promote Maitland-Niles with Joe Willock and Elneny as back-up. But if Max Meyer is on a Bosman and another "Cazorla", I will sign him up.

Strikers? - Hope Welbeck will stay and I doubt, we can sell Lacazette at such a ridiculous purchase price of 52-mil. Eddie is waiting for his chance and not frogettign Mavididi.

And we really need another pacy winger to complement Mkhi on the other side with Ozil dictating plays in the middle with plenty of passing options in Mkhi and new winger who should be intelligent enough to run into space, superb first toucha dn strong enough to hold the ball.

"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is a success.”
Henry Ford

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 00:25
Aubameyang is that pacy winger. He goes missing on most games because he doesn't link up well through the middle, lacazette inspite of his size, actually does a good job of coming deep and getting a touch and turning back, even better than giroud. Aubameyang can easily go in behind from out wide. Two of aubemeyang /lacazette /mkhi can play along side ozil in the front 3.

Of course this is all dependent on the new manager. Ramsey should be played as a 10 as that's the easiest option weir the current personnel. Play two DMs, maybe msintland niles and elneny or a new buy and elneny.

We absolutely need another first choice right back and a CB and GK

karsene16 (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 07:47
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
karsene16

GK 2CB's RB DM and CM

Even forwards aren't good enough to win the league. This team is far far away from winning the league now.
Compare with
Sane, Aguero, Jesus,
or
Salah, Firmino, Mane
or
Son, Kane....

Sane, Sterling and Jesus are not typically world beaters just very high in athleticism along with Firmino, Mane, Son and Erikson. Lacazette, Aubambeyang, Mkhitarian are near enough the same if Aubambeyang can produce his last clubs scoring record. We don't have to blitz teams just win 1-0 like Conte did at Chelsea.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 21:20
Quote:
karsene16
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
karsene16

GK 2CB's RB DM and CM

Compare with
Sane, Aguero, Jesus,
or
Salah, Firmino, Mane
or
Son, Kane....

Sane, Sterling and Jesus are not typically world beaters just very high in athleticism along with Firmino, Mane, Son and Erikson. Lacazette, Aubambeyang, Mkhitarian are near enough the same if Aubambeyang can produce his last clubs scoring record. We don't have to blitz teams just win 1-0 like Conte did at Chelsea.
But you need a, kante type player in that setup to make even huth and wes morgan look like super defenders

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 08:37
we need at least 6 new players. the back four, DM and a GK

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Goofle (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 14:10
GK, CB, LB, DM and a winger.

djarse (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 18:00
For once I agree with Goofle!

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 05:32
Quote:
Goofle
I think monreal does better than bellerin almost every game

karsene16 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 08:08
Kolasinac is decent back up also

Goofle (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 13:13
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
Goofle
I think monreal does better than bellerin almost every game

Monreal is an old man.

SandyB (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 15:05
Quote:
Goofle

Adding good players in these positions with a good managerial team will at the most be able to push for top 4 n probably be able to give a real shot at Europa next season. Wilshere, Ramsey, Zhaka, Elani, Iwobi, Mkhitaryan, Welbeck, Laca aren't league winning material.
A progressive overhauling of the entire squad over next few seasons is required. 3 seasons from now if you see Arsenal is challenging title, mark my word you wouldn't see any of these players playing for Arsenal.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 17:00
‘There’s a good basis. We need two or three additions and this team will compete for the title next season. ‘We don’t need massive spending. You are seeing defenders go for £70million. ‘It is difficult to know what is a lot.’

Read more: [metro.co.uk]

In fact, if the Back-4 of Bellerin-Chambers-Mavropanos-Kolasinac continues to develop steadily and develops that telegraphic understanding of Fab-4 by playing regularly together, we have the spine of the DEFEND barring a marquee goalie who should be signed this summer.

But if Macey is promoted as No. 1 ... you will never know if that limited £70 million transfer fund is true.
But liek always, the new manager will need to sell before he can buy.
And if the new manager decided to sell off all those underperformers and deadwoods, he can generate and boost his transfer funds right to £150 million to buy that "2 or 3 marquee players" to turn the existing squad into a geniune title contender.

Guess the key remains who is our new manager?

"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is a success.”
Henry Ford

tigerline (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 17:30
Quote:
Merlion96
Guess the key remains who is our new manager?

The more immediate key is WHEN is the new manager?

karsene16 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 12:26
4 people think we need a new 11

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 12:59
Quote:
karsene16

I find it even stranger that two think one must be enough.
I didnt realise Wenger read this forum

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

SandyB (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:39
Quote:
karsene16
Not necessarily need 11 players in one season but 11 players away from winning the title.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 17:36
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
Goofle

Adding good players in these positions with a good managerial team will at the most be able to push for top 4 n probably be able to give a real shot at Europa next season. Wilshere, Ramsey, Zhaka, Elani, Iwobi, Mkhitaryan, Welbeck, Laca aren't league winning material.
A progressive overhauling of the entire squad over next few seasons is required. 3 seasons from now if you see Arsenal is challenging title, mark my word you wouldn't see any of these players playing for Arsenal.
Can't disagree with any of that. Maybe ill keep ramsey if he starts doing stuff at both ends of the pitch like he did during his partnership with arteta

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 17:25
Wenger says we only need 3 players to win the league.
So for feck sake why didnt he get them at start of season.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 18:07
Gk

Bellerin
CB
CB
Monreal

DM
Wilshere
Cm

Ozil
Auba
Wf

6 first team players and 3 or 4 squad players.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 19:06
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

DM
Wilshere
Cm

Wilshere is only good if you have an physical player next to him. To be blunt, he's too much of a dwarf. You compliment players like Kante with a Matic, Casemiro with a Kroos it will have to be some player to make up for what wilshere is not. Someone that at least wins headers and covers ground will be necessary.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 06:46
I have lost faith in wilshere, but what I did see in the last few games is the he is running a tad quicker.

The biggest thing missing from his game is the stamina and leg speed that he had as s kid.

Unless that returns, he has to be a back up

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 10:21
Quote:
Padre Pio
Wenger says we only need 3 players to win the league.
So for feck sake why didnt he get them at start of season.

Laughable isn't it.

But I'd hazard a guess that there wasn't anything out there better than what we have (even though we're only a 6th place team), and we would only sign 'top quality players' but none were available. Or to ensure we didn't kill Iwobi of course.

God I'm glad he's going.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

younghansolo (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 14:36
having a striker who gets 30 a season and a another who can get you 15 will almost guarantee you top five. Add a midfielder who can chip in 10 and you are right up there. Even with a shaky defence.

City don't have the greatest defence but they score goals for fun. Liverpool's defence isn't great either but likewise they can score.

So For me we just need to enhance our DM and Defence with maybe a new GK and I think we would be challenging even carrying luxury players.
Mentality is then the difference maker. When we had RVP scoring 30 a season, all we lacked was mentality to win the league.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net