football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Keown says Ozil is not fit to wear the shirt
karsene16 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 13:05
[www.youtube.com]

Is he wrong in what he's saying?

Re: Keown says Ozil is not fit to wear the shirt
younghansolo (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 14:12
No ozil is a waste of money so far. We will see if a new manger can get more out of him

SandyB (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 14:28
He's correct a big underperformer should never have given him a 350,000 contract. These blunders of Wenger era will have consequences even for future manager. Let's see how new manager fits Ozil in his team.For all these reasons club needs to onboard the new manager n his entire team fast.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 15:19
However, Wenger has defended the playmaker, claiming Ozil did all he could against Atletico.

“I don’t agree [that he didn’t work hard],” said Wenger.

“I think you will see that when you analyse his physical performance that he gave a lot tonight.” (Sm22)

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 19:32
Ozil had underperformed no question. But he and ramsey do a lot more off the ball running than others who are generally static

Bergmars (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 19:46
Ozil is Ozil he is not going to chase and tackle that is not his game but given the right players to offset this he can run the show.

A shadow of what we were

karsene16 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 21:08
If you want someone like Ozil to play you can't have a lightweight like Wilshere and a non-mobile Xhaka in the middle. No Pretty pass passengers

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 22:09
Even Zidane and Messi will underperform in this team.

'If you want to be unhappy, just compare.' Chinese Proverb

'Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.' Winston Churchill

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 00:27
Those players are another level, they can pretty much play on their own and do something merl. They can win a match on their own in any team just through a set play even if the other 10 players just defend.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 07:50
When a team needs a goal, Zidane and Messi find one. I can not support a player that when we need a goal he breaks through the defence and cut it across 95% of the time.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 08:16
I'm looking forward to seeing Ozil playing under a manager who'll make him play in Northern away games

holzini (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 10:40
you win games with goals and not by passing in front of the goal no matter what the situation is. He´s wanking about assists and forgets that as an amf he should score some goals too. he don´t so he´s not worth the crazy money for 20 assists and 5 goals a season imho.

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 12:05
ozil is everybody's easy target. funny that we played Atletico twice and Diego Simeone was raving only about Ozil. ain't that strange.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

tigerline (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 12:18
Ozil will benefit tremendously from a new manager that can design/adjust tactics and who will demand accountability for performance ... in practice as well as in matches.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 20:50
Ozil does shoot, and does nos cause unlike passing, he can't just adjust the body shape to shoot a certain way, so he struggles getting shots away and in target, but he does still make the right decision 90% of the time.

The pbm is none of the other players actually cab execute passes as accurately with the right weight as needed at this level.

E. G. Ramsey and xhakas chipped seldom have any backspin so it verbally runs out of play or the ones of lacazette and bellerin find it hard to control and are forced wide.

We need to change our style of play. Liverpool have decent decision makers, but not the best, but they are currently relying on stealing the bank in the final third off opponents and thrn shooting immediately or one pass and shoot.

This requires great athleticism and leads to burn out over a period of 2/3 years, but it's the only option when defenses who make mistakes and don't have marcelo quality players in the back line to actually play that game from the back.

We we have been trying to do is the hardest (arguably the prettiest) way to score under wenger without actually have the players to do for a long time.

Just a change in this approach will yield results

karsene16 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 10:44
Quote:
CazOnARola
Ozil does shoot, and does nos cause unlike passing, he can't just adjust the body shape to shoot a certain way, so he struggles getting shots away and in target, but he does still make the right decision 90% of the time.
The pbm is none of the other players actually cab execute passes as accurately with the right weight as needed at this level.

I don't know how long i've been off this forum but I do know the same @#$%& was being said about Ozil years ago. I'll continue to say he has still made less of an impact on games and been less effective than Fabregas. Fabregas could make Chamakh look like a decent striker, Ozil's passes are 100% telegraphed. Never seen an outside of the foot through pass or a 50 yarder.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 04:24
Quote:
karsene16
Quote:
CazOnARola

I don't know how long i've been off this forum but I do know the same @#$%& was being said about Ozil years ago. I'll continue to say he has still made less of an impact on games and been less effective than Fabregas. Fabregas could make Chamakh look like a decent striker, Ozil's passes are 100% telegraphed. Never seen an outside of the foot through pass or a 50 yarder.
Those passes are not difficult to make as well as the chipped ball that everyone keeps raving. The run makes all the difference.

He has underachieved there is no question and his last two seasons haven't been good at all. But only he and ramsey understand how to make runs and drag defenses around.

The reason our opponents always close us down is that we are so so static in offense and keep waiting for the ball at feet.

Even Aubameyang when he is played centrally doesn't spin and run like diego Costa. But when he is played out wide he does a decent job.

In football the team that usually runs the most (among top teams) generally comes out on top.

Most of our players just don't want to run. They have not even bothered to show for the ball and create triangles this season which means we dont even retain defensive possession against top teams.

That was the only thing they did and although crab football never wotked, now we just keep givinh it away and are far worse.

There are plenty of players who need to go before ozil.

He was excellent in his first two seasons and now seems to be going through motions. But like a few others, he still has potential to create. We need to change our CM and defense and you might see a difference.

Also the new manager needs to explain to the strikers that you have to @#$%& run and run in such a way that you are a passing potion on the counter not come short or hide behind defenses

litmus (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 07:58
I like Ozil but I love the club. We should sell him. After that season where he set the consecutive games assist record (seems so long ago, i can't remember when), he has consistently underperformed.

From the game yesterday, we can see what a motivated, dynamic, pacey AM can bring to the team with Mkhitaryan who has been good and is always a threat going forward. Even Iwobi who I criticized a lot, had a good game.

Ozil needs to decide if he wants to be here or not.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 09:17
Quote:
CazOnARola

There are plenty of players who need to go before ozil.

He needs to go first because he's a real luxury player, you can not afford to have a luxury player that does not score goals.

You can have 9 players behind the ball and leave Mo Salah/Messi/Ronaldo/Aguero/Sanchez/Kane up top on his their own and still have a decent game against an opponent.

You can not have 9 players defending for Ozil because he needs the other 9.

This has been Ozil best season for us winning player of the month a few times, still he's not the first on the team sheet

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 05:30
You fail to understand that this team lacks good passers and decision makers. We even struggle to bring the ball out from the back. Luxury is defined as an item that is nice to have and got don't really need. So unless you are happy with scrapping for 10th place, you need players who will create chances. Currently we have just two in ozil and Mkhitaryan and ozil still rides the challenges better because of the slight zip that he has dust off his height. Mkhitaryan is probably our slowest forward over the first 2 yards.

50mn as a total transfer budget won't get anything.

Even a fit wilshere level player with his giveaways will cost you 30mn plus.

We need reinforcement in the back line and mf. And i respectfully disagree that you let go of your best chance creators in the circumstances.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 08:07
Quote:
CazOnARola
You fail to understand that this team lacks good passers and decision makers. We even struggle to bring the ball out from the back. Luxury is defined as an item that is nice to have and got don't really need. So unless you are happy with scrapping for 10th place, you need players who will create chances. Currently we have just two in ozil and Mkhitaryan and ozil still rides the challenges better because of the slight zip that he has dust off his height. Mkhitaryan is probably our slowest forward over the first 2 yards.

We need reinforcement in the back line and mf. And i respectfully disagree that you let go of your best chance creators in the circumstances.

The teams currently 2nd and 3rd in the league have no chance creators, we would not be battling for 10th without a chance creator. There is no one or the other scenario, Eriksen and Fabregas chance create for their teams and their teams have less goals than Arsenal. We just recently got 5 without wonderboy and I am sceptical of what is classed as a chance anyway. As Ozil is supposed to be a chance creator but I struggle to remember more than one, one on one situation this team has had this season.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 14:46
I'm not taking about stats. I not counting what the statistians these days call "chance created". I m basing this on actual gameplay and what role his movement and passes plays in our offense that i have watched. Same with ramsey and Mkhitaryan. Why compare ozil with other players that are equally good at that for their respective teams? Erikson and cesc.

They would all cost in excess of 35mn, in case of erikson probably more than 50. Compare ozil to the rest of our squad since you are talking about binning him.

If your budget is 50mn, how are your going to buy another chance creator? And both chelsea and tottenham have delli ali and hazard. Who do we have along side ozil? Ramsey may have decent engine and drag out of shape but he is not close to delli ali and hazard in terms of purely offensive abilities.

Don't say wilshere cause he is barely able to run from one end to the other without panting right now.

And i dunno what do you mean liverpool and utd not having chance creators. Both mata and pogba play vital part in united offense deportment on who plays and united s style is totally different, but still they have plenty of players with better paying than most of our players excluding ozil, cazorla, Mkhitaryan, ramsey

Liverpool? Coutinho was in fire till January not to mention salah and mane are excellent play makers.

Plus they are playing gegen pressing which doesn't really require a play maker, all they have had 3 offensive players in terrific form and abilities in mane, Coutinho and salah.

SandyB (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 15:16
Quote:
Liverpool?
Plus they are playing gegen pressing which doesn't really require a play maker, all they have had 3 offensive players in terrific form and abilities in mane, Coutinho and salah.

Dude, not sure how much you watch Liverpool now a days, Karsene is correct, both Liverpool n United doesn't have creative play maker / pass master, Coutinho doesn't play for Liverpool anymore n the main creative player in current Liverpool team is Firmino, Bobby Firmino they call him n they have a song for him...
Actually Arsenal don't need both Ozil n Mkhitaryan. So if there are takers new management might think of selling Ozil as long as he still have transfer value.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 17:04
A new manager may bring out the best in Xhaka who is our deep-lying creative playmaker.
Wilshere-Xhaka pairing seems to eb better than Ramsey-Xhaka.

Ozil?
In WC1998, Zidane played ahead of Karembeau-Deschamp-Petit in a Christmas Tree formation.

'If you want to be unhappy, just compare.' Chinese Proverb

'Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.' Winston Churchill

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 19:13
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
Liverpool?

Dude, not sure how much you watch Liverpool now a days, Karsene is correct, both Liverpool n United doesn't have creative play maker / pass master, Coutinho doesn't play for Liverpool anymore n the main creative player in current Liverpool team is Firmino, Bobby Firmino they call him n they have a song for him...
Actually Arsenal don't need both Ozil n Mkhitaryan. So if there are takers new management might think of selling Ozil as long as he still have transfer value.

Ozil is not the traditional arsene wenger play maker.

You are confusing him with cesc. Cesc always wants to come for the ball and always offer a passingvoption and even slows down possession ala spanish tiki taka. Ozil does a lot more off the ball and is happy to run in behind like muller, of course his finishing isn't upto the mark.

Coutinho was at Liverpool for more than half the season and played very well.

Sandy by play maker Im taking about ppl who make good playing decisions and can execute final balls in the final third.

Thsts why i mentioned salah, coutinnho (half season) mane. Point im making is even in a system like gegen passing where you don't need a play maker like cesc, they still have 3/4 players including firminho that make good decisions in the final third and execute them.

Arsenal have about 2.5 players who do that in the entire squad. Ozil, Mkhitaryan and the 0.5 is ramsey.

Because of the amount of goals we conceded through basic individual defensive errors (the kind even mavropanos isn't making) , you guys are overlooking how horrible the general passing is in this team and their first touches.

There are a lot of players you cab let go before ozil. If ozil or Mkhitaryan get injured, we will lack so much more penetration than we already and will struggle offensively even more. We have to keep both of them in the squad. I'm happy to cut wilshere lose /iwobi, xhaka before ozil

Goofle (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 22:25
Need Golovin to replace Mesut. Proper Arsenal player.

kudzif01 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 22:49
Quote:
CazOnARola

Ozil is non existent against the top 6 for the most part , but good against the rest of the league there are many players that can do this for arsenal at 40% of what he costs.

The big bucks is for the big performers in tough moments, and he is not that guy.In addition everyone wants a culture change amongst the players ,but if your highest paid player constantly misses games at the drop of a hat , and can not be bothered defensively what message are you sending.

As for the cost we hired Sven for a reason.

Shane (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 00:09
I think Ozil will probably leave in January. For the life of me I just can't see him lasting in the post-Wenger era. In fact I'm supremely confident he won't. Sh*t is about to get real at Arsenal. By that I mean the environment is going to change a lot. You'll have a new manager who has to be successful, and a new recruitment team who have to sign quality players.

Failure from either results in their reputations being tarnished, and their jobs being lost. In other words, things are going to get very cut-throat very quickly, and Ozil isn't built for such environments. He's just not. If his form nosedives under the new head coach, which it absolutely will, then he'll be out of the team and Ozil, being the egotistical, over-privleged bloke that he is, won't take kindly to that.

Problem is, he doesn't have the character to try win his place back, or the hunger and appetite to win that fight. He does, however, have a sense of entitlement which will ultimately kill his Arsenal career. He'll get dropped, throw tantrums, take sly digs in the form of emojis on Twitter and the new lads will jog him on because one bad apple spoils the bunch.

This lad is a bad apple by the way. He absolutely is. We don't know it yet because it's rare that we see the ugly side of an Arsenal player under Wenger, because he's genuinely a fantastic man-manager who somehow prevents players from proving what utter d*ckheads they are whilst at Arsenal, but Ozil will leave this club under a cloud. F*ck him.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 03:06
Quote:
kudzif01
Quote:
CazOnARola

Ozil is non existent against the top 6 for the most part , but good against the rest of the league there are many players that can do this for arsenal at 40% of what he costs.

The big bucks is for the big performers in tough moments, and he is not that guy.In addition everyone wants a culture change amongst the players ,but if your highest paid player constantly misses games at the drop of a hat , and can not be bothered defensively what message are you sending.

As for the cost we hired Sven for a reason.
If we are spending enough to fix the defense and Cm and are also selling ozil to get a quality replacement I'm fine.

I just don't see how that can happen for 50mn. Let's see

SandyB (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 03:31
Quote:
Shane
I think Ozil will probably leave in January. For the life of me I just can't see him lasting in the post-Wenger era. In fact I'm supremely confident he won't. Sh*t is about to get real at Arsenal. By that I mean the environment is going to change a lot. You'll have a new manager who has to be successful, and a new recruitment team who have to sign quality players.
Failure from either results in their reputations being tarnished, and their jobs being lost. In other words, things are going to get very cut-throat very quickly, and Ozil isn't built for such environments. He's just not. If his form nosedives under the new head coach, which it absolutely will, then he'll be out of the team and Ozil, being the egotistical, over-privleged bloke that he is, won't take kindly to that.

Problem is, he doesn't have the character to try win his place back, or the hunger and appetite to win that fight. He does, however, have a sense of entitlement which will ultimately kill his Arsenal career. He'll get dropped, throw tantrums, take sly digs in the form of emojis on Twitter and the new lads will jog him on because one bad apple spoils the bunch.

This lad is a bad apple by the way. He absolutely is. We don't know it yet because it's rare that we see the ugly side of an Arsenal player under Wenger, because he's genuinely a fantastic man-manager who somehow prevents players from proving what utter d*ckheads they are whilst at Arsenal, but Ozil will leave this club under a cloud. F*ck him.

Dude, you write so much of reasonable stuff then why still write stuff like Wenger is fantastic man-manager... Wenger is fantastic grand dad n he’s as good as gone so there is no place for a divide between AKBs like you n AOBs like me, we want all the same for the club to progress, develop proper players, play entertaining football n win stuff. By the way, seems like things turning more towards Luis Enrique, to be honest not that kinda exciting signing but I could live with him as the guy who actually carried out death of tiki taka n replaced with South American flair football with MSN at Barca. Let’s see how it goes.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 08:40
Id be very excited with Enrique although i still highly doubt it. The reason is that if he's coming the budget is def more than 50 mn. He will not be happy guiding arsenal to 6th place. Anyone like allegri, conte, enriwue etc I'll be happy with cause it means the club hierarchy is willing to spend.

Anyone like arteta and it tells me that we are not looking to spend money immediately to get rid of under performer's and are looking at a person who is willing to scrap for 4th place and at worst maintain 6th place

karsene16 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 12:20
Quote:
CazOnARola

Liverpool? Coutinho was in fire till January not to mention salah and mane are excellent play makers.

Liverpool's record with or with Coutinho is the same

Question what does Salah and Mane have which Ozil doesn't have along with being good play makers?

karsene16 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 12:22
We lost the two Bayern games last season and he was given a break because of his disappointment.

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 16:22
by the way, why is keown suddenly have this obsessive dislike for ozil??

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 17:33
Quote:
karsene16
Quote:
CazOnARola

Liverpool's record with or with Coutinho is the same

Question what does Salah and Mane have which Ozil doesn't have along with being good play makers?
Answer: Both have better shooting technique and pace compared to ozil and both play in a team which is designed to exploit their biggest strengths. Ozil had better passing in the final third and decision making, mane def makes a lot of wrong choices compared to ozil /de bryune or salah.

If you were looking for the word "heart", that's not the reason for their success. Otherwise salahh would have shown that at chelsea as well as roma. There are few players in the world like messi zidane etc that will play well irrespective of their teams tactics, setup etc.
Liverpool s tactics are the biggest reason for their success and being athletic is the primary requirement of their tactics.

Records before /after don't tell the full story. Salah is full of confidence and it plays a big part esp in finishing.

Coutinho was a big part of their confidence building and winning streak in the first half of the campaign, not to mention what they did last year as well by qualifying for CL.

Ozil s biggest strength is passing and this team has about 1 player in ramsey who tries to make runs. Second is probably monreal.

Even aubemeyang is just making runs in the channel and hardly offers anything in terms of movement and lacazette of course will come short 9/10 times.

Ozil has been @#$%& in the lot of games and I'm not defending him for those, I'm just saying we have a lot of below average posters in the squad that cant play two consecutive passes without someone having to check back / stretch to get to the ball and ozil is not one of them.

I'd get rid of those players before getting rid of the likes of ozil /Mkhitaryan /monreal / ramsey who are set u just decent at those things if not world class.

You have iwobi/welbeck /xhaka/elneny/wilshere/bellerin/kolasinac who constantly give the ball away, some times even when they are not under pressure.

Shane (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 18:16
Quote:
SandyB
Dude, you write so much of reasonable stuff then why still write stuff like Wenger is fantastic man-manager.

If you disagree with something you're supposed to state your reasons for disagreeing, but I don't think you have a reason for disagreeing. I think you just disagreed for the sake of it because the default response when hearing or reading something positive about Wenger and his management is to discredit it, even if it makes no sense to do so.

SandyB (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 18:46
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
SandyB
Dude, you write so much of reasonable stuff then why still write stuff like Wenger is fantastic man-manager.

If you disagree with something you're supposed to state your reasons for disagreeing, but I don't think you have a reason for disagreeing. I think you just disagreed for the sake of it because the default response when hearing or reading something positive about Wenger and his management is to discredit it, even if it makes no sense to do so.
Obviously disagree with that statement mate, Wenger isn’t fantastic man-manager rather fantastic man eater. (Sm6) if he was fantastic man-manager then wouldn’t have kept probably like 20 to 30 players way after their sell by dates. Diaby, Santi, Per, Vela even chamakh just making a few. This current squad has a lot of them who are earning their living contributing fuc.k all. The guy continuously patted the back of mediocres hoping they will perform beyond their ability for him. Unfortunately it doesn’t happen that way so he ended up with a departure nothing to show off other than accepting farewell from a staged crowd.

Shane (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 20:14
Most of that has nothing to do with managing people I'm afraid Sandy.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 20:20
Quote:
CazOnARola

I'd get rid of those players before getting rid of the likes of ozil /Mkhitaryan /monreal / ramsey who are set u just decent at those things if not world class.

Hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard. Ozil is very much a super luxury player because he isn't a complete player and the whole team is compromised.

Real Madrid Sold him for a player that doesn't pass, the player in question was known for scoring goals that's it.

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 22:12
Quote:
CazOnARola
Id be very excited with Enrique although i still highly doubt it. The reason is that if he's coming the budget is def more than 50 mn. He will not be happy guiding arsenal to 6th place. Anyone like allegri, conte, enriwue etc I'll be happy with cause it means the club hierarchy is willing to spend.
Anyone like arteta and it tells me that we are not looking to spend money immediately to get rid of under performer's and are looking at a person who is willing to scrap for 4th place and at worst maintain 6th place

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

SandyB (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 03:22
Quote:
Shane
Most of that has nothing to do with managing people I'm afraid Sandy.
LOL, walk into a corporate house n see how real life fantastic man-managers look like. They judge people not by their loyalty but by their ability, mate. They will not put up with the display of fuc.kery that lots of Arsenal players did in Wenger era even for a week. That’s called fantastic man-managers you love them or loathe them. Fantastic man-managers produce fantastic results not run a club, organization or a country like a despot building the entire structure on cronies.
Those of us were here longer did forecast this day of reckoning 8 to 10 years ago but he didn’t change anything neither did the club management, instead all of them were busy making money some selling shares their grandfathers kept for them others were happy earning their bucks doing nothing.
In short you reap what you sow, other than the staged drama n media crying for a ‘legend’ there is no Wenger’s legacy left. If the club goes downhill he will be remembered for who started the mess n for his years of failure. If somehow club can turn things around the new management will get all the credits they deserve. There is no win for Wenger here. The only reason the diehard anti-Wenger folks like me are not calling him out anymore coz everybody is looking for future people where unity in club will be paramount, there is no place for Wenger in the house anymore, mate.

Shane (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 15:58
No I think if Arsenal "somehow" improve then it's probably because the "mess" was grossly exaggerated in the first place Sandy.

It's been exaggerated by people like you who don't actually like Wenger on a personal level. It's been exaggerated by people who consciously or subconsciously bend fact and reality and shape it how they want the situation to look, to maximise how poor the reflection is on Wenger, even though that's NOT how the situation really looks.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 19:07
Our away performances say otherwise no backbone and I rate Ozil highly but he typifies the lack of fight throughout the club. If I kept telling my employer I didn't fancy working I would expect the appropriate response

A shadow of what we were

SandyB (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 19:59
Quote:
Shane
No I think if Arsenal "somehow" improve then it's probably because the "mess" was grossly exaggerated in the first place Sandy.
It's been exaggerated by people like you who don't actually like Wenger on a personal level. It's been exaggerated by people who consciously or subconsciously bend fact and reality and shape it how they want the situation to look, to maximise how poor the reflection is on Wenger, even though that's NOT how the situation really looks.

LOL, you beat DeTimes with Wenger love.. (Sm22) there are threads here which says 0 points in away games in 2018 n it's May!! If that's exaggeration then I don't know what's actually real, dude!!

Shane (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 20:22
It's an exaggeration because it's being judged in isolation of Arsenal's home form, which is comparable to the Invincibles' home form in 2003-04. This mob have won the same amount of games, scored 14 more goals and won two less points.

This isn't called putting a positive spin on something. It's called balance. It's called looking at the whole picture before judging a situation instead of taking one fraction and running wild with it, but thanks for proving my initial point about bending reality to make the picture look how you want it to look (Sm6)

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 20:56
Fair enough to give context but the invincible were unbeaten away from home for two seasons in a row. They were never beaten at home either, we have lost 3 at home. True only Man City have more points at home than us, but then we have worse defence record away as bad as relegated WBA.
Unless the away sickness is cured then there can be no top 4 place. We have conceded 50 goals our worst ever record in total in the PL. All this is also context Shane.
Context is that up until 2008 Wenger was competing for the title from 2009 that changed to top 4, from 2016 to top 6.
He has been a great manager but context is that he needs to go now

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 21:01
Quote:
Padre Pio
Fair enough to give context but the invincible were unbeaten away from home for two seasons in a row. They were never beaten at home either, we have lost 3 at home. True only Man City have more points at home than us, but then we have worse defence record away as bad as relegated WBA.
Unless the away sickness is cured then there can be no top 4 place. We have conceded 50 goals our worst ever record in total in the PL. All this is also context Shane.
Context is that up until 2008 Wenger was competing for the title from 2009 that changed to top 4, from 2016 to top 6.

👍👍👍

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Shane (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 00:09
Quote:
Padre Pio

I'm not comparing this Arsenal team to the Invincibles Padre, nor am I suggesting that Wenger should stay for as long as he likes.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 06:43
I think the words "heart" and "fight" are grossly over used these days.

Wilshere supposedly has a lot of heart and possibly welbeck but where does it take you?

Most of the issues are technical. The team is not good enough technically in the first place for heart to become the main issue. Heart will take you to the next level if you have the basic ingredients there.

Our away form is abysmal because when playing away, the onus is on the home team to have a go and when they do, we simply crumble because of technical issues.

Our defenses suck in one v one situations unlike prev players like toure even gallas and of course Campbell. You need a decent amount of pace and intelligence to deal with that. Just having a strong will and good heart will not save someone with the pace of mertesacker against s guy like vardy for e. g.

The other issue is of course when teams press us high, we don't really have an answer because our DMs/CMs, can't evade the first press, the positioning, first touch, and ball control are not good enough to evade that first press.

These are all structural and technical issues with regards to player quality and physical ability to actually be quick over the first two yards.

They have nothing to do with being "brave" or having "heart".

That is why liverpool smashed us at home at the start of last season with coutinnho on fire and mancity stuffed us in the cup final and three days later again at home in EPL.

When playing at emirates, teams are happy to sit back and let our DMs (xhaka) dictate play and seldom put our defense under pressure cause they are happy with a point.

If good teams have a go we will crumble at home as well.
Like we did against ostersund.

Yes heart and bravery are imp, but we have basic technical issues which teams are more cautious to exploit when on their travels to emirates but whenever they have a go , we invariably come undone.

We are a long way away still from "heart" and "bravery" being our main issues. Right now even the basic qualities and technicalities are missing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 08:40 by CazOnARola.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 08:25
Shane you raised the invincibles; quote "It's an exaggeration because it's being judged in isolation of Arsenal's home form, which is comparable to the Invincibles' home form in 2003-04."

I dont see how a season where we have been beaten at home can be compared with one that was unbeaten favourably.

Good points Santi, I have seen most games at Emirates and most away teams have sat back, you rarely see the defence given a real test at home, but we are usually better at scoring at home so does that intimidate teams to stay back. As far a s I remember we didnt beat the big teams at home, and our record against top 6 (not all big teams) has been very poor and getting worse for several seasons

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 08:35
Quote:
Padre Pio
Shane you raised the invincibles; quote "It's an exaggeration because it's being judged in isolation of Arsenal's home form, which is comparable to the Invincibles' home form in 2003-04."
I dont see how a season where we have been beaten at home can be compared with one that was unbeaten favourably.

Good points Santi, I have seen most games at Emirates and most away teams have sat back, you rarely see the defence given a real test at home, but we are usually better at scoring at home so does that intimidate teams to stay back. As far a s I remember we didnt beat the big teams at home, and our record against top 6 (not all big teams) has been very poor and getting worse for several seasons
Thsts exactly my point, whenever teams with decent technical players press is high and have a go at us, we struggle irrespective of home turf advantage

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 11:20
I have said many times here that we struggle against teams who press us high. Wenger insists that his team plays out of defence and that is where we get caught often. Wenger puts too much trust in the 'quality' of his players and did not devised a scheme to overcome the pressing of teams like Pool or City or Barca to go back a few years.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 12:00
I think the 19 year old wilshere did surprise barca and we saved enough in the tanks in both the legs to cream them at the end. But our ability to do that has constantly been on the decrease and it is directly proportional to the quality of the players.

Even pep had found it tough against pool because of his style being some modified version of tiki taka.

More direct teams like Leicester have troubled Liverpool.

They are better than any other team on the planet at cutting down passing angles. Overall in the past decade teams have moved to more ground passing as well becaue it is easier to control and players like walcott with just place will also suffice. Overall improvement in the fitness levels are also responsible for the adoption of this style.

But if teams play like leicster do and chip aerially directly over the liverpool first line of defense, like they do with vardy and mahrez, it will trouble liverpool.

Of course you need decent quality to be able to do that, both to execute the pass and for the runner to time the run.

Sadly the quality of players in our team has been on the decline slowly and culminated into this, where we can neither do the ground or the aerial passing to a decent level.

Good passing requires the recipient to be in a good position and we struggle with that a lot compared to actual execution of the passes, which even though not prefect, isn't as bad as the recieving/running into positions which is almost relegation standard

SandyB (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 12:36
Quote:
Shane
It's an exaggeration because it's being judged in isolation of Arsenal's home form, which is comparable to the Invincibles' home form in 2003-04. This mob have won the same amount of games, scored 14 more goals and won two less points.
This isn't called putting a positive spin on something. It's called balance. It's called looking at the whole picture before judging a situation instead of taking one fraction and running wild with it, but thanks for proving my initial point about bending reality to make the picture look how you want it to look (Sm6)

Ok, I know it’s tough to give you context, mate... what about last season’s overall point tally of 75 while finishing 5th against this year’s 60 was bile finishing 6th? Still exaggeration?

Shane (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 13:10
How can that be an exaggeration when it's a fact? That's the point Sandy. If you used facts when judging Arsenal - all facts, not just the ones you want - then you'd arrive at a far more intelligent and rational conclusion than you do if you judge Arsenal based on how you feel about Wenger.

Quote:
Padre Pio

Except I think it's fairly obvious I'm not comparing both seasons. I'm comparing their home form, because it's comparable. I heard this stat on Sky Sports News incidentally, so either the presenter is an AKB who went rogue for five seconds, or else it's just a very interesting statistic and one which kind of spoils the narrative that this Arsenal team is rotten to the core and there is nothing good about it whatsoever.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 13:54
Leicester won the league with wes Morgan and robert huth in defense. To say that all the players in the squad are @#$%& and relegation standard is obv an exaggeration.

Fresh ideas and better coaching alone can possibly make the squad play better without any signings at all. But to actually be able compete with the top teams, that's going to take longer cause it requires a structural overhaul of the coaching methods, change in the players mentality as well as the other pbm where senior players like kos/cech/mertesacker and maybe ramsey have probably played their last season for us.

Replacing the spine is the biggest pbm and what makes the task ahead daunting

Shane (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 15:57
Chelsea went from being nowhere near Arsenal in the Premier League to being better than us in about four months. They hired Mourinho, spent a lot of money on six or seven brilliant players and they knocked the Invincibles - one of the most celebrated teams in the history of English football - off their perch.

At the time, Chelsea had some very good players, like Lampard, Makelele and Terry, and Mourinho's additions - like Cech, Robben, Drogba and Carvalho - took them to another level entirely.

Arsenal also have some very good players - in fact you could very easily argue that Wenger's successor will inherit a better side than what Mourinho did from Ranieri, so for the life of me I can't work out why it's so unthinkable that our recruitment team will supplement the undoubted talent that Wenger leaves behind with some top signings.

If Arsenal improve a lot next season - and there is no logical reason why we can't - then it's because the new manager and the heads of recruitment have done a very good job, but it's also because the size of the task they're taking on has been massively overstated at the same time.

Or maybe I'm understating it. Who the f*ck knows, but what I do know is that Arsenal are the third-most potent attacking force in the Premier League - seven less goals than Liverpool, whose free-scoring ability we drool over - and we have a £60 million striker who has scored more goals than Harry Kane since arriving in England, and three less than Mo Salah. Aubameyang should have a phenomenal first full season next term.

What this tells me is that Wenger will actually leave behind a pretty big piece of the jigsaw and if that jigsaw isn't a lot closer to being complete this time next year- i.e if the defence isn't improved dramatically - then it's probably because Wenger's successor, Mislinstat, Sanllehi and Fahmy have collectively f*cked up. That's the new regime and they are the ones responsible for Arsenal getting better or worse. Assign blame appropriately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 15:58 by Shane.

SandyB (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 17:38
Quote:
What this tells me is that Wenger will actually leave behind a pretty big piece of the jigsaw and if that jigsaw isn't a lot closer to being complete this time next year- i.e if the defence isn't improved dramatically - then it's probably because Wenger's successor, Mislinstat, Sanllehi and Fahmy have collectively f*cked up. That's the new regime and they are the ones responsible for Arsenal getting better or worse. Assign blame appropriately.

Again, this is AKB in you talking mate n tell you what we all know AKBs are gonna go bonkers once this team loss the 1st game under the new management but we are gonna kick the AKB asses then to remind that it's fu.cking 12 years they have taken the dross from Wenger. Not gonna let you guys do this mate putting a knife on new manager's throat from the get go. Wenger is as good as gone even his shadow shouldn't be anywhere near the club. (Sm122)

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 17:46
I'll tell you who left behind a big part of the jigsaw. GG. He left seaman, and 5 defenders plus parlour and Wrighty. It's probably more substantial than what the next manager will inherit

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 18:08
Either ways the club hierarchy had to be blamed right upto kronke. They could have fired wenger last year when he won the fa cup.

And they could have stopped and not sanctioned aubemeyang s purchase and used that money on a defender this year.

I have written off the next season, but if ppl are thinking that we are years behind, that is wrong. There is no reason why the defense cannot be rebuilt by the end of this season.

If we stop expecting the improvement we are done as a club.

There's no point in firing wenger if we are not Edison the next guy to at least come in 5th or 6th after fighting for the top 4 and sort of arrest the slide.

If we think that we wont be challenging for a decade and that all our players are relegation standard, that is wrong.

Our tactics and away form might be, but there s are definitely enough talent in team to challenge for the top 4 with a good manager and 3/4 signings.

Long way from winning it of course

SandyB (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 19:50
Quote:
CazOnARola
Either ways the club hierarchy had to be blamed right upto kronke. They could have fired wenger last year when he won the fa cup.
And they could have stopped and not sanctioned aubemeyang s purchase and used that money on a defender this year.

I have written off the next season, but if ppl are thinking that we are years behind, that is wrong. There is no reason why the defense cannot be rebuilt by the end of this season.

If we stop expecting the improvement we are done as a club.

There's no point in firing wenger if we are not Edison the next guy to at least come in 5th or 6th after fighting for the top 4 and sort of arrest the slide.

If we think that we wont be challenging for a decade and that all our players are relegation standard, that is wrong.

Our tactics and away form might be, but there s are definitely enough talent in team to challenge for the top 4 with a good manager and 3/4 signings.

Long way from winning it of course

Agree, no one is saying all the players are shi.t but nothing is magic that people will start saying challenge the title or fire the next manager or everybody under the sun if they don't start winning the league next season.
I know people will bring Chelsea how they win the league after finishing 6th but actually they won the league the season before finishing 6th with Mourinho n they had the league winning team almost intact while just adding few players when Conte won the league last season. That's completely different situation from current Arsenal. The current Arsenal team didn't go anywhere near the league title in years with or without CL football distraction. Chelsea might even go n win the league next season with a new manager but this Arsenal team needs a lot of changes as well as club needs lots of structural changes before getting anywhere close to winning the league. That's the point.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 19:57
Mourinho sabotaged chelsea and got fired, got paid, got the buy back clause removed from lukaku s contract, sold him and went to United.

There was nothing wrong with the Chelsea team that finished 8th, except mourinho who stated publicly having a go at his players. Not the case with us. Agreed we have a lot more from to do.

Plus when Roman bought Chelsea, the was no restriction on spending, not so much on homegrown etc.

Id say with the amount of clubs that have money is also a lot more compared to back then and hence it's more difficult to lure the right players to your club

Shane (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 20:08
Quote:
Padre Pio
I'll tell you who left behind a big part of the jigsaw. GG. He left seaman, and 5 defenders plus parlour and Wrighty. It's probably more substantial than what the next manager will inherit

Does Don Howe deserve credit for 1989 just because Graham inherited Lukic, Adams, O'Leary, Rocastle and probably a few others? This isn't my era at all so I'm out of my depth, but it seems like a pertintent question to ask.

Regardless, the discussion is about whether Wenger will leave behind the bones of a very good team. I'm certain he will, but maybe Sandy is right. Maybe it'll take at least three years - or six transfer windows in other words - to repair the damage, the destruction, the chaos, the sheer f*cking carnage that Wenger has caused at Arsenal.

SandyB (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 20:14
One important point I'm with shane though that if Gazidis n co continue doing the same thing of acting in snail speed in transfer market like Wenger era or even getting the next managerial team in then we can't blame Wenger but fans have every right to go after them. This is world cup year n short transfer window, anymore uncertainty indecisiveness the onus is on new management not the new manager or coaching team but Kroenke, Gazidis n co.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 20:57
Every manager leaves some kind of legacy, doesn't change the fact it was time to go. Graham left behind a great defence but his time was gone. Wenger leaves behind good attackers and some midfielders they may do well but time to go. Billy Wright left Mee good players and so on. But it was time to go. No
Manager credits what they build on, shame but that's the game

Shane (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 01:02
I'm very happy he's going Padre. That's the second time you've suggested I wanted him to stay.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 04:05
Quote:
SandyB
One important point I'm with shane though that if Gazidis n co continue doing the same thing of acting in snail speed in transfer market like Wenger era or even getting the next managerial team in then we can't blame Wenger but fans have every right to go after them. This is world cup year n short transfer window, anymore uncertainty indecisiveness the onus is on new management not the new manager or coaching team but Kroenke, Gazidis n co.
This is what i said on the other thread. We have always said that wenger dilly dallts, squables over 1 or 2mn over players like schwarzer and leaves is short till deadline day.

We will know how the arsenal management is now. We did get sanchez in early and that was the only time I have seen the club act quick.

Is the successor isn't announced on Monday, there is something wrong

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 08:14
Quote:
Shane
I'm very happy he's going Padre. That's the second time you've suggested I wanted him to stay.

No I am not suggesting you want him to stay Shane, I am just disputing the idea he will leave any special legacy, I am not saying he wont leave any good players, but most managers do. Even the notoriously bad Billy Wright left some very good players behind, but being a great manager is more than just collecting or developing players.

Hence the last sentence was "No Manager credits what they build on, shame but that's the game"

Shane (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 13:52
I never said that either, so there's no dispute.

Believe me though, if you're in the business of disputing untruths about Wenger then there's enough content on here to last you until the year 3083, which is also how long it'll take to recover from the mess Wenger has left us in.

SandyB (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 15:43
6th place, 60 points, no point in 2018 in away games, conceding 50 goals in a season if not mess rather a league winning team in waiting then don’t know what kinda Wenger La La land still some Arsenal fans live too!! (Sm164)

Shane (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 16:18
It's not a mess if that can be reversed in a period of three months Sandy. You have as many brain cells as Arsenal do away points in 2018 (Sm6)

SandyB (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 16:47
Quote:
Shane
It's not a mess if that can be reversed in a period of three months Sandy. You have as many brain cells as Arsenal do away points in 2018 (Sm6)

Yeah.. Wenger couldn’t reverse that in 13 years n still you call him fantastic man- manager n god knows what else... I’m the guy who has brain cell deficiency it seems!!

Shane (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 17:23
Wenger's frozen corpse,
Broken zip on bodybag,
Some things never change.

litmus (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 07:40
Quote:
Shane

This. Absolutely. Brilliantly sums Ozil up which is a shame really cause i am sure many of us would love to love him. Now, he's on 350 mil a week, can we even offload him? Not many clubs can offer to match his overbloated wages.

Shane (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 18:43
You're right mate. He's not good enough to join a bigger club, and would cost a lesser club far too much in terms of transfer fee and personal terms, so China in January makes sense I think.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 18:56
Ozil might go to qatar or mls

PKGooner (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 22:56
Keown is getting on the bandwagon now, I've been saying he's a coward for years.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 01:15
Quote:
CazOnARola
Ozil might go to qatar or mls

More likely to Turkey where he is highly regarded.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 05:25
Yeah turkey is likely as well

litmus (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 05:54
Turkish clubs ain't the richest. China more likely with their crazy money. Ozil if he goes there will have them eating out of his hands. He will have superstar status, everything will revolve around him, people will pay big money to see him play, plus merchandising. Make economic sense for their league.

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 19:38
WTF was Ozil thinking, posting a picture of himself with Turkish dictator Erdogan? Embarrassing and shameful would be an understatement.

[www.bbc.com]

litmus (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 08:40
It depends on how you would look at it. Apparently its a charity event to help Turkish students. They were invited, and Erdogan was the VIP. Football players probably don't think too much about politics, and or its consequence. Most footballers are free spirited, simple, uncomplicated people. to them, they didn't see any harm of attending an event with the country of their parents. Like Gundogan says - they were being polite. I would give them the benefit of the doubt.

Now if they would have turned the invitation down, some people would then make stories about 1. How they have now become too big to support charity work, 2. How they forgot their roots.

The moment they were invited, they were going to get screwed either way, I guess.

SandyB (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:58
I think nobody cares about these political correctness now a days, it’s upto individuals who they want to be seen with.

Shane (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 16:24
Quote:
litmus
Now if they would have turned the invitation down, some people would then make stories about 1. How they have now become too big to support charity work, 2. How they forgot their roots.
The moment they were invited, they were going to get screwed either way, I guess.

Quite right mate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net