football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

"It was hurtful" - Arsene Wenger hints Arsenal fan criticism played a factor in his decision to leave Gunners
AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 19:44
[www.mirror.co.uk]

And this is the man I am supposed to weep over that he is leaving??? He talking of unity amongst fan not being there anymore.... Uncle Wenger, whose fault is that???

A great leader take the blame not blame every other thing.

What about the fans who have invested their time, money and emotions while Wenger and the board plus Kroenke acted like our feelings don't count.

He talks of hurtful,....how do you explain what we went through in the face of 8:2 defeat to utd, 5:1 back to back defeat to Bayern, 5:1 defeat to Liverpool or 6:0 defeat to Chelsea. You have no idea what hurtful means.....

I feel cursing this man. I hope he signs for another club so that he would be exposed ad the FRAUD that he is.

Here we are celebrating his achievements like he has not created a bucket load of terrible shameful stats and he goes and blames fans.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Re: "It was hurtful" - Arsene Wenger hints Arsenal fan criticism played a factor in his decision to leave Gunners
Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 22:18
Blokes an utter moron.
Wish he had been sacked on the spot.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Re: "It was hurtful" - Arsene Wenger hints Arsenal fan criticism played a factor in his decision to leave Gunners
Padre Pio (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 23:11
I always said that fan power would persuade him to go. They couldn’t ignore the boycott combined with the protests,

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 06:17
Serve up dross and people will let you know it was the only way things would change.

A shadow of what we were

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 08:35
It's always everyone elses fault with Wenger.

The problem is nobody buys his s.hit anymore, hence he'sleaving. If he kept his mouth shut then maybe he'd be given a warm(ish) send off but there is too much resentment towards him these days because he has by far overstayed his welcome and willingly dragged the club down the toilet to the point we are now competing with Burnley for 6th f.ucking place.

We as fans are also charged more than any other fans on planet earth for the privilege of watching our club rot year after year as well. That is what is hurtful Wenger, you selfish old fool.

Roll on the end of the season, tatty bye.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

SuperRob (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 09:49
I mean, I'm no fan of Wenger and wanted him gone several years ago. But that still doesn't excuse people from making misleading statements about what he actually said.

"I'm not resentful of the fans. I do not want to make stupid headlines. I just feel if my personality is in the way of what I think our club is, that is more important to me.

"The fans were not happy and I can understand - that's my job, I have to live with that."

Seems to pretty much take responsibility in every way for the protests and lack of fan unity and accepts that he is the one getting in the way of getting that unity back.

People are either too lazy to read what he actually said, or they have poor comprehension of English.

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 10:43
Quote:
SuperRob
I mean, I'm no fan of Wenger and wanted him gone several years ago. But that still doesn't excuse people from making misleading statements about what he actually said.
"I'm not resentful of the fans. I do not want to make stupid headlines. I just feel if my personality is in the way of what I think our club is, that is more important to me.

"The fans were not happy and I can understand - that's my job, I have to live with that."

Seems to pretty much take responsibility in every way for the protests and lack of fan unity and accepts that he is the one getting in the way of getting that unity back.

People are either too lazy to read what he actually said, or they have poor comprehension of English.

well obviously you chose to read that text excluding every other interview where he has refused to take any blame but instead blame the fans. you are about the only one so far who has interpreted that text to mean that he is not blaming the fans.

since we all have poor comprehension of english which you do, just know that you are alone in your fantastic comprehension of what wenger meant.

Quote:
From Martin Posted By Myles Palmers
It's Wenger who has hurt the club’s reputation when he forced probably the most faithful fan base in football, British Arsenal supporters to eventually make their voices heard

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

MattySadler (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 12:10
Watching us make the same mistakes over and over again and going backwards was pretty hurtful as well.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 12:29
He gave two press Conferences, in the second he clearly blamed the fans for spoiling the image of the club abroad

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 13:03
Quote:
MattySadler
Watching us make the same mistakes over and over again and going backwards was pretty hurtful as well.
This is the crux of the matter it's been obviuos what the problems are but it's been allowed to go on for years.
It's fine for pundits etcetera to condemn fans when was the last time any of them actually paid to watch a game.Defending has been rubbish for a long time and nothing has been done a negligent manager is a man soon out of work he's ridden his luck too long.

A shadow of what we were

SandyB (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 15:10
It was either Wenger chasing out a bulk portion of the fans or a portion of the fans chasing him out. In the end club owners and few other folks at the club decided to do what is right. Obviously Wenger is bit bitter here still as they must have told him if he can't win Europa they will have no choice but to fire him as if he loses Europa n finish outside top 4 for the 2nd season there is no respectable way he could resign n leave end of the season. The other option is take a chance n resign now get the severance $$ n move on. If he wins Europa that will be like a grand exit otherwise still an exit of his choice. Knowing Wenger the least of a risk taker he is, decided to take the 1st option of announcing it early escaping the possibility of getting fired n loss it all.

Eboractos (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 20:34
Quote:
SuperRob

He doesn't take responsibility at all Rob. He's suggesting that the fans have a problem with his personality, when the truth is that they have a problem with his ineptitude.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 21:00
There's plenty of evidence on this forum to show the fans have a problem with more than just his performances. Some people resent him even when we have been winning.

It's time to move on but he's still a human and deservew better than some fans have shown.

Every club has some of those fans though. I mean look at the west ham fans betraying an 80 year old man the other week.

Shane (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 22:44
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
I feel cursing this man. I hope he signs for another club so that he would be exposed as the FRAUD that he is.

If I was of a strong anti-Wenger persuasion, and had been calling him a fraud and a retard for years, then I'd be desperate to see Wenger swiftly retire and never join another club; not because he has done enough damage in football for one lifetime, but because I'd feel a bit sheepish if he was also successful elsewhere, which I think is a distinct possibility.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 08:16
I dont mind what he does next, I wish him no ill. We need the change.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 08:52
Quote:
Padre Pio
I dont mind what he does next, I wish him no ill. We need the change.

A shadow of what we were

litmus (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 10:10
Him leaving is the best solution for everyone concerned.

Other than that, its a discussion that will never come to any conclusion, because it will never become anything more than an emotional argument for everyone. There is no wrong or right to people's feeling. If I hate my mother in law, that's how I feel.

Wenger said he felt hurt, its logical for him to feel that way. I don't think he's saying its the fans fault, its more like him feeling the criticism hurt the club, affected the reputation of the club. Nothing wrong with what he said.

And fans FEELING like they were taken on for a ride, its how they feel. Nothing wrong either.

Everyone felt hurt, so the best is to go separate ways.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 13:23
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
I feel cursing this man. I hope he signs for another club so that he would be exposed as the FRAUD that he is.

If I was of a strong anti-Wenger persuasion, and had been calling him a fraud and a retard for years, then I'd be desperate to see Wenger swiftly retire and never join another club; not because he has done enough damage in football for one lifetime, but because I'd feel a bit sheepish if he was also successful elsewhere, which I think is a distinct possibility.

I wouldn’t feel the least bit sheepish. If he went and somehow won something significant elsewhere, then it does not change the fact that he has done a s.hit job here and dragged the club down the toilet to the point we are now balling it out for sixth place with Burnley.

What are we supposed to do, continue to be dragged through the rats.hit for another 14 years in the hope we win another PL? How about another 22 years to reach another CL final? He’s going and good riddance.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

SandyB (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 13:43
LOL, AKBs will be AKBs..I wouldn’t be surprised some of them will even follow him to Bahamas. (Sm6)
Some of these AKBs are hoping that Wenger joins Everton n have a dream run winning the league. I repeat there is only one true legend still left from Wenger era his name is Jupp Heynckes, if he doesn’t retire clubs lineup outside his house to hire him. Nobody cares Wenger.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 18:46
Quote:
younghansolo
There's plenty of evidence on this forum to show the fans have a problem with more than just his performances. Some people resent him even when we have been winning.
It's time to move on but he's still a human and deservew better than some fans have shown.

Every club has some of those fans though. I mean look at the west ham fans betraying an 80 year old man the other week.

Not having this.

People remain "anti-Wenger" even when we're winning because they know what's going to happen in the end. He doesn't learn from his mistakes.

Look at 2013-14 for example. Throughout the calendar year 2013 we had a really good defensive record. 2013-14 we were top of the league for 130 days of the season, if I remember right. We didn't build on that by strengthening in the January transfer window (the infamous Kallstrom window). Then, as celine recalled in another thread, we hit 2014 and found ourselves being routinely d*cked by our rivals, fell out of the title race and had to settle for fourth again.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 20:30
That in absolutely no way excuses people calling him some horrendous things.

The point is, most people dislike arsenal Wenger the manager for legitimate reasons but some people legit hate him as a person. That's ridiculous in my book. In some of the game threads he's been called a @#$%& amongst other things.

There's being anti Wenger, as in anti him managing the lcub then there's being anti Wenger, as in I @#$%& hate that man.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 21:17
I'm sorry but this man has willingly dragged my club down the s.hitter for the best part of 12 years. He's lied through his teeth that entire time and turned my club into a laughing stock of a team who battles it out for 6th place with f.ucking Burnley.

He sold the fans out long ago as well to be the corporate puppet he ended up as (and even the sewer rats he represented with his 'right values' b.ollocks turned on him in the end).

He gladly took his £8m a year and refused to pay anything HE deemed overpriced in the transfer market, whilst the fans got charged criminal fees to watch the substandard teams and c.rap football he fielded, whilst insisting s.hite like '4th place was a trophy', 'its my best squad ever' or if journos then dare question why fans were not happy he'd insist it was the media because it can't possibly be the s.hit job he'd been doing for a decade or that by some miracle supporters might have a mind of their own.

He's a disgrace and I cannot wait to see the back of him.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 22:02
Really Dislike Wenger.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

MattySadler (IP Logged)
25 April, 2018 07:37
(Sm152)

celine dion (IP Logged)
25 April, 2018 19:08
Quote:
younghansolo
That in absolutely no way excuses people calling him some horrendous things.
The point is, most people dislike arsenal Wenger the manager for legitimate reasons but some people legit hate him as a person. That's ridiculous in my book. In some of the game threads he's been called a @#$%& amongst other things.

There's being anti Wenger, as in anti him managing the lcub then there's being anti Wenger, as in I @#$%& hate that man.

I dont understand this line of thinking personally. Its impossible to separate Wenger the football manager from Wenger the person for the simple reason that he became a cult of personality at the club. And he definitely knew that this was happening. So his frankly p*ss poor managerial performance of the past 7-8 years, and his refusal to do anything about it to the point that the board had to do the previously unthinkable and sack him, becomes inextricably linked to his persona as a whole.

I believe he has more than demonstrated himself to be a deeply unsympathetic personality. Yes, I am fully aware that he can be quite droll in a press conference. Likewise a lot of his players speak highly of him in terms of generosity etc. But lots of defective personalities can be funny, and a lot of failing managers are nice to their inner circle, their clique as it were.

But his overall behaviour in the way he has managed the team, surrounded himself with yes men, blamed results on almost everything other than his own performance, failed outright to correct his failings, excused the inexcusable, and then the way he has spoken about our fans in the last week or so, paint a picture that I have long suspected was the case. Someone who believes their own hype, does not understand that their position is an extremely privileged one, goes for the sympathy vote when painted into a corner, and is also extremely avaricious in terms of the amount of money they have effectively been paying themselves to perform at an absolute minimum of expectations. I have literally NO time for the man, I am genuinely ENJOYING his demise. I dont CARE about a couple of league titles he won 15 years ago. There are far eclipsed nowadays by the obtuse, obfuscating, wrong headed, prevaricating, behaviour of the years since. And the cult of d*ckheads that have sprung up around him.

If I passed him in the street I would not react. Genuinely.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
25 April, 2018 21:44
I'm obviously with Celine. The only thing that I'm disappointed about him leaving is that he is 'leaving' rather than having the indignity of being sacked (which he should have been at least 7/8 years ago). Yet he was paid a fortune as we fans had all dignity and enjoyment of supporting the club ripped from us at the same time thanks to him and his p.iss poor incompetent management and stubborn arrogance to change.

It absolutely grinds my gears as well when people seem to start every Wenger criticism with "He's done a great job but <insert criticism>" or "He's done so much for the club but <insert criticism>". Who cares about the great job he did? It was over a decade and a half ago and the fact of the matter is he's done an inexcusably p.iss poor incompetent job for the last 14 years ever since. To the point we are now a 6th place (at best) club and he will not accept any responsibility for it what so ever and blames absolutely everything and anybody other than himself.

3 PL titles in 22 years. 1 CL final in 22 years. It's f.ucking s.hit and he's been paid an absolute fortune for the privilege of dragging the club to the depths we are at now and it will take a LONG time to recover from the state he has left the club in.

We owe him f.uck all. There's the door, now f.uck off.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2018 21:46
Arsene who?

Hope is the last creature out of Pandora Box

younghansolo (IP Logged)
25 April, 2018 22:11
Why would you wish for anyone to undergo the indignity of being sacked? I don't wish ill on anyone. We got what we wanted, he's leaving who cares how it happens. He's a football manager, there are people in this world far more worth my ire than any football manager or player.

It's also incredibly naive to say it's the mess that he has left us in. Go and look at the last AGM and how the board treated the fans. In particular sir chips. The board, the players have had just as much impact as Wenger has had. (And I'm definitely not denying wengers personal guilt in this)

SandyB (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 00:24
Guys forget or miss two major facts, Wenger earned more than 100m from Arsenal there is no other football manager in the world has earned that kinda money from any club. The next one even if they have given him the option to amicably leave end of the season still he’ll take 11m for a abysmal contract he psychoed the club to offer him a season ago with absolutely fuc.king zero accountability. Still personally I want Arsenal somehow win the Europa n end the Wenger ordeal settle amicablly so that the next manager gets some breather. If he wins the Europa I’ll say thank you Arsene no hard feelings n if he losses then bye Felicia...

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 15:08
Quote:
younghansolo
Why would you wish for anyone to undergo the indignity of being sacked? I don't wish ill on anyone. We got what we wanted, he's leaving who cares how it happens. He's a football manager, there are people in this world far more worth my ire than any football manager or player.
It's also incredibly naive to say it's the mess that he has left us in. Go and look at the last AGM and how the board treated the fans. In particular sir chips. The board, the players have had just as much impact as Wenger has had. (And I'm definitely not denying wengers personal guilt in this)

why would Wenger want me a paying fan customer to undergo the indignity of being embarrassed 8-2 away at Utd? 6-0 at Chelsea? 5-1 at Liverpool? Getting beat regularly home and away by bottom feeding clubs, or even worse getting knocked out of cups by teams in the leagues below us? Maybe letting Spurs overtake and become a country mile better than us? How about 15-3 in our last 3 games against Bayern and being dumped out in the last 16 for seven consecutive seasons? The team I might add Wenger and his merry c.unts promised us we’d be competing with following the 'dream' move to the new stadium and us paying disgusting prices to watch our team then get completely humiliated instead? How about turning us into a mediocre 6th place (at best team)? I could literally go on and on to leaving me (and thousands of other fans) completely out of love with football anymore.

I’m well aware that a lot of these problems are largely contributed to by his peers as well but Wenger has been the willing puppet who repeatedly (and tiresomely) enforced their strategy for them. “4th is like a trophy”, “The club has never been in a better position” , “We believe in doing things the right way” (other than robbing our own fans of course). This and a lot of other garbage are what Wenger has spewed for years whilst our team was well and truly dragged down the s.hitter. I suppose I’d have sold the fans out for £8m a year as well, but I certainly wouldn’t then cry when they didn’t wish me a happy ever after when my bulls.hit and dictatorship finally came to an end.

That said I’m not completely heartless. If I wasn’t an atheist I’d probably be mumbling about forgiveness or some s.hite. But instead I do hope we win the Europa and send him off on a high just so as his exit isn’t in complete shame to top off his embarrassing last 12 years tenure. But on the condition he f.uck off and NEVER comes back in any capacity.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 22:11
it was bloody hurtful watching the dross being dished out weeks and after weeks.

Hope is the last creature out of Pandora Box

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 23:39
He is still deluded, claims the next manager will inherit a strong squad

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 12:09
We all know our squad is p.iss poor.

The table doesn't lie, we're 6th place for reason. That's providing the mighty Burnley don't pip us for that spot of course and only leave us with the 7th place trophy.

Shane (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 13:01
Only two teams have scored more goals than Arsenal this season. In fact, we've even scored the same amount of goals as Tottenham, whose attacking quantities we jizz over, so it's pretty obvious that a complete overhaul probably isn't necessary.

What is necessary is signing quite a few new players - including at least three defenders, and a defensive midfielder. Will it happen? Yes, obviously, because Wenger won't be presiding over the window, and Mislinstat and Fahmy's jobs and reputations hinge on making Arsenal a lot better and three months is more than enough time to make Arsenal a lot better.

Whether they do or not is entirely up to them - and it is. It's no longer Wenger's responsibility, so if Arsenal regress next season, despite spending over £150 million in the transfer market, then let's be grown ups about it and assign blame to the right people instead of the easy one.

SandyB (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 16:01
Quote:
Shane
Whether they do or not is entirely up to them - and it is. It's no longer Wenger's responsibility, so if Arsenal regress next season, despite spending over £150 million in the transfer market, then let's be grown ups about it and assign blame to the right people instead of the easy one.
Stay tight captain AKB...(Sm164)

Shane (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 16:35
Shut up pal. You think aliens built the pyramids and Michael Myers built the Taj Mahal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net