football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Bad Wenger Memories
karsene16 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 13:17
Good day for Gooners.

Sorry for the negativity but come on...

- Dropping Reyes for the CL final
Come on it was understandable taking Flamini out for A.Cole but putting Pires in there after injury was appalling.

- Dropping Arshavin for the FA Cup Semi
excuse 'I wanted to team see if they can play without him/have confidence about him'???

- We don't need to buy, we can replace within the club
This line came out after the start of losing players to our rivals around 08/09

I'm here all day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/04/2018 13:19 by karsene16.

Re: Bad Wenger Memories
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 15:01
'Who controls
THE PAST,'

ran the Party slogan,

'çontrols
THE FUTURE:

who controls
THE PRSENT

controls
THE PAST.'

"1984"

"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is a success.”
Henry Ford

SuperRob (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 17:15
Man utd CL semi final.
8-2

MattySadler (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 17:58
I could pick so, so, so many individual incidents on and off the pitch, but for me the most damning indictment was every time we'd hear opposition fans chanting "Arsene Wenger, we want you to stay!"

That alone completely summed up the direction we've been heading in under Wenger in recent years.

celine dion (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 18:42
Yes I think walking into one of the lower blocks about 7 years back and hearing the entire Tottenham away end singing 'Arsene Wenger we want you to stay' was a pretty worrying sign.

for me, Wengers lowest point and the time I actively started to dislike the man rather than feel bored with him, was when we got absolutely dismantled by Liverpool 5-1 and Chelsea 6-0 in the same week, then mugged off by Everton away about a week later. All whilst supposedly being involved in a title race.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 18:54
So many to choose from, but for sheer cheek the week he told the England Manager that Walcott should be Captain of England. To prove his point he made Wally Captain against Crystal Palace away, after we lost Wally said the lads wernt up for it. He never started another Prem match after that

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 20:42
Without doubt the 8-2 at OT that was disgraceful and embarrassing and told me his time was done.It also proved he had no shame or conscience.

A shadow of what we were

karsene16 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 21:46
- Selling RVP to Man Utd
We previously gave City players, it seemed like selling to Rivals was over then Mr Wenger went and did a crime

- 10-2 on Aggregate
Recent one, getting murdered by Bayern in one of the most embarrassing Scorelines ever

-"no one should take football that seriously"
Yes, No one should take their life after a result of a match, but a Kenyan Gooner did after seeing Ronaldo's Freekick go in pass Almunina. This was Wenger's reply to the kenyan guys cousin, instead of sorry I know fans take football seriously and I will do better.

(hopefully De times hasn't killed himself, is De times still crazy?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/04/2018 21:52 by karsene16.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 23:27
2007/08 takes the cake.

Leading by 5 points going into January 208 and every fan and his dog knew the team needed strengthening to win the title ... he refused and said his squad is strong enough and needed no strengthening when Anelka (went to Chelski) was available from Bolton and Woodgate (went to Tiny Totts) was available too.

Goofle (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 13:42
Ozil heard a crack in his knee. Play on my son.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 13:51
Quote:
Goofle
Ozil heard a crack in his knee. Play on my son.

Oh Gosh Tom.

Bet Xhaka's your best player these days.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 14:02
More more more...

Selling RvP to Man Utd

Picking players who want to leave (eg Ox v Liverpool)

Not signing Yaya Toure when he had the chance

Having a non-playing captain

Signing Kallstrom with a broken back

Signing Sylvestre

Signing Park Chu Young, the only player ever whose value was written off in the club accounts while he was still there

Signing Igors Stepanovs because the squad were praising him to wind up Martin Keown

Persisting with Almunia as number one keeper for so long

Repeatedly overpaying squad players that then can’t be sold because no one will match their wages

Signing a contract extension in 2014 after winning the FA Cup

Signing a contract extension in 2017 after winning 3 FA Cups in 4 years

Not being flexible enough to go an extra £2m for Xabi Alonso (other examples of ‘seeking value’ are available, eg Mark Schwarzer)

Playing second string squad members in the 2007 League Cup final

Substituting Oxlade-Chamberlain (having a rare good game) for Arshavin in the infamous match where Van Persie decided he was off

Never doing subs before 68 minutes, except in cases of dire emergency (eg being completely outplayed at Liverpool)

Not changing his coaching team in 20 years

Persisting with duvet-style coats with very long zips

Buying no first team outfield players in 2015

Having any faith at all in Yaya Sanogo

Bidding £40m + £1 for Luis Suarez

Taking no notice of opposition tactics with his own set-up in 95% of fixtures

Staying glued to the bench during nearly every match

Dropping Arshavin for 2009 FA Cup semi-final

Benching fit players who you would expect to start (Lacazette last weekend v Liverpool, Sanchez v Liverpool in March 2017; other examples are available)

Playing most of the defence out of position this season

Giving new contracts to permanently injured players

Never seeming to be aware that the season starts mid-August, so being unprepared for it

The fashion shoot he did in 2015 (particularly the turned-up jeans)

Loaning players out while their contracts run down, then having to sell them cheaply

Playing Andre Santos, the only fit full back of 4 in the squad, in a CL dead rubber against Olympiakos while other first teamers were rested; Santos was injured and out for 3 months

Blaming fans for the team’s poor performances

Generally ignoring the role of captain and the importance of leaders on the pitch

Claiming Arsenal teams are stuffed with leaders when they’re clearly not

Having a blanket ban on contracts longer than a year for players 30 and over, instead of taking each case on its merits

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Eboractos (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 20:00
I'll just add a quick one to the list. Taking players to away games they aren't eligible to play in, meaning that we didn't have a full complement of subs

Eboractos (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 20:07
Actually no I'll add another one now all the bad old memories are flooding back.
Dropping Henry for the 2004 FA Cup semi final against Man Utd and playing Jeremie Aliadiere instead. Had we won that game we would have needed to beat Millwall in the final to make it 3 FA Cups in a row.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 21:41
- Podolski, Joel Campbell, Lucas Perez
What did they do wrong?

-Moaned at players for taking long shots
You don't shoot you don't score

-Defensive mid mate?
No DM for a decade

karsene16 (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 22:20
- Getting beat by 8 defender
Our first team minus one player Vs Man Utd with a team of 8 defenders gets batter

- Signing Xhaka and Mustaffi
Horrible players

- Can't beat Athletico at home
Athletico goes down to ten men and I don't remember him making a sub

tigerline (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 22:21
Quote:
karsene16
Our first team minus one player Vs Man Utd with a team of 8 defenders gets batter

Horrible players

I don't think that he did.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 22:35
What a nightmare of a team.

"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is a success.”
Henry Ford

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 23:05
Every semi final in Europe, bar one in CL and one in UEFA cup. Misery on top of misery

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

SandyB (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 23:40
Quote:
karsene16

Horrible players

Take it easy, karsene. You waited 12 years wait for couple of more weeks, good or bad he’ll be gone.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 09:52
At least Graham left behind the best defence in the Premiership

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 08:04
Leaving us without any natural pace out wide/ wide forwards for the rest of the 2017/18 season.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 12:17
His spiderman pose when we're losing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net