football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. CSKA
MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 22:19
Cech - 4. Thought he made a decent save prior to CSKA's first goal but the second goal was poor. Made a good save off a free kick shortly after.

Bellerin - 5. Best of a bad back four. Set up an Elneny header that was disallowed for offside.
Mustafi - 4. Never looked comfortable.
Koscielny - 4. Started poorly and didn't really get any better. Nervy.
Monreal - 4. Poor. Beaten in the air for the first goal and beaten to the rebound for the second goal. Offered little going forward.

Elneny - 6. Started off poorly but improved, particularly towards the end. Finished with two fine assists.
Ramsey - 5. Off the pace. Couldn't get into the game and his final ball wasn't there, but took his goal really well at the end.

Ozil - 5. Showed flashes of his quality but otherwise seemed pretty half-arsed. Involved more towards the end as the game opened up.
Wilshere - 3. "Jenkinson vs Southampton in the League Cup 2016/17" bad. Was sloppy in possession and got worse after suffering a knock.
Welbeck - 6. Another who improved towards the end as the game opened up. Took his goal excellently.

Lacazette - 3. Didn't get into the game at all.

Subs:

Chambers - N/A. Didn't see much of him.
Iwobi - N/A. Missed an absolute sitter.

Should've been a routine second leg performance against a poor CSKA side, but we didn't get going and invited CSKA into the game, but finally started playing for the last half an hour and managed to seal our passage to the semi-finals.

Should've wrapped this one up in the second half of the first leg...

Very happy for Welbeck, who scored his 10th goal of the season, his highest seasonal tally for us yet. Concerned about Wilshere, who hasn't performed for a while now, where is his head at?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2018 09:43 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. CSKA
MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 22:41
Wenger: "Golovin is very interesting player, he was outstanding again."

After we were linked with him last year I was looking forward to finally seeing Golovin play properly (i.e. not just on youtube) and I think over the two legs he's looked very good.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 22:50
Jack was again very poor tonight. He started the season strongly but has regressed significantly as the season progressed. Too slow and ponderous on the ball. No longer
have that burst of pace over the short distance to get away from players. He is now at best a squad player unless he improves significantly in the off season. Wenger needs to take his head out of the sand and bring in a world class DM as Xhaka and Jack are not the answers if we want to compete.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 23:35
It's not just Wilshere who looks slow. Bellerin looks yards slower.

Our fitness methods have to be questioned.

weedz (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 23:59
Good ratings GS. The only changes I would make are-

Cech- I'll give him a pass mark of 5. Only one poor mistake ( Their 2nd )and I thought his initial save on their 1st was WC, as was another save he made.

Elneny was the heart of our MF for 90% of the game. Assisted both our goals. The best I've seen him in Red n White, so I reckon 8.

And Jack would have been lucky to get your 3. Awful.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 07:09
I was going to give Wilshere 1 initially which is what I gave Jenkinson for the aforementioned performance but thought it was harsh.

And I was toying with 5 for Cech as I felt the initial save was very good and the save from the free kick was class.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2018 07:10 by MattySadler.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 07:14
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DancWHsX4AAj8jT.jpg:large

Ramsey... stretchered off down the tunnel, back out before half time, then stapled up at half time... what a guy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2018 09:25 by MattySadler.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 09:30
That was great over breakfast

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net