football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Champions league tonight
Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 21:38
Barca knocked from being 4-1, by Roma

City knocked out by Liverpool, didn't even win the 2nd leg at home

Crazy.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

Re: Champions league tonight
SandyB (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 21:41
Someone needs to knock Real out in SF also Bayern..

10 April, 2018 21:43
I see Real getting to the final again and if Ronaldo keeps up his form then might win it again.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 21:54
Real will win it.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

younghansolo (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 21:56
If Liverpool win it does the EPL get another cl place?

10 April, 2018 22:03
Quote:
younghansolo

Don't think so.

Max 6 teams allowed, I think, but only if the 5th team wins CL and was outside of top 4 and also a 6th team if the 6th team wins Europa and is out side of top 4.

Liverpool will finish top 4 so if they win it won't change anything. There might me 5th english team next year in the CL but that will only happen if we win the Europa this season.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 22:23
Nice symmetry.
We qualified for CL Cup final in Paris, France ... and lost.
We qualified for Europa Cup final in Lyon, France ... and lost?

Arsene Wenger has never won an European competition final with Arsenal FC.

'If you want to be unhappy, just compare.' Chinese Proverb

'Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.' Winston Churchill

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 22:37
I thought if a team outside the top 4 wins the CL, then the 4th place team misses out.

Didn't this happen to the @#$%& bags when they finished 4th and Chelsea won the CL but finished outside the top 4. Harry then got sacked if memory serves.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

SandyB (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 22:51
Quote:
Optimistic Gunner
Quote:
younghansolo

Don't think so.

Max 6 teams allowed, I think, but only if the 5th team wins CL and was outside of top 4 and also a 6th team if the 6th team wins Europa and is out side of top 4.

Liverpool will finish top 4 so if they win it won't change anything. There might me 5th english team next year in the CL but that will only happen if we win the Europa this season.

Not more than 5 places are allowed from any FA in CL. The only way 5 teams are possible from England if Arsenal wins the Europa.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 23:46
Quote:
BootyDaddy
I thought if a team outside the top 4 wins the CL, then the 4th place team misses out.
Didn't this happen to the @#$%& bags when they finished 4th and Chelsea won the CL but finished outside the top 4. Harry then got sacked if memory serves.
Yep that’s how it works Spurs finished 4th and stil didn’t qualify.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

11 April, 2018 01:50
Quote:
Padre Pio
Quote:
BootyDaddy

It used to be like that but then they changed it a few years back.

SandyB (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 04:56
Quote:
Optimistic Gunner
Quote:
Padre Pio
Quote:
BootyDaddy

Correct, it’s English FA’s decision now to retain all top 4 to qualify for CL. But it’s EUFA’s decision to let the champion of CL to defend their title if they happen to NOT qualify through top 4. So in earlier Chelsea scenario Spuds doesn’t have to give up the place for Chelsea but there is a catch here, EUFA rules states no more than 5 teams can qualify to CL from any specific FA, so if an out of top 4 team from English league wins the CL and another out of top 4 team from England wins Europa then unless English FA cuts out the 4th place team the Europa winner doesn’t qualify for CL.

11 April, 2018 19:48
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
Optimistic Gunner
Quote:
Padre Pio
Quote:
BootyDaddy

Correct, it’s English FA’s decision now to retain all top 4 to qualify for CL. But it’s EUFA’s decision to let the champion of CL to defend their title if they happen to NOT qualify through top 4. So in earlier Chelsea scenario Spuds doesn’t have to give up the place for Chelsea but there is a catch here, EUFA rules states no more than 5 teams can qualify to CL from any specific FA, so if an out of top 4 team from English league wins the CL and another out of top 4 team from England wins Europa then unless English FA cuts out the 4th place team the Europa winner doesn’t qualify for CL.

Yeah that sounds right.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 12:21
Hang on... So if Liverpool didn't finish top four (which seems unlikely I grant you) but did win CL.

And we win Europa.

There's a chance we still wouldn't get the CL place?

SandyB (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 12:53
Quote:
younghansolo
Hang on... So if Liverpool didn't finish top four (which seems unlikely I grant you) but did win CL.
And we win Europa.

There's a chance we still wouldn't get the CL place?
Correct (Sm100)

younghansolo (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 16:12
WOW!

Shane (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 17:53
I wouldn't take Sandy's word for it mate. He can't even get the letters in 'UEFA' in the right order.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net