football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

What does Webeck brings to the team?
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 22:23
Good read.

Remind me of Adebayor in his 1st season with us ... all movement and tireless running, covering very blade of grass on the pitch and literally ran himself into the ground by 70th minute and needed to be substituted.

The key phrase is "when he is healthy".

We didn't see an all-action (barring Alexis in his first 2 seasons with us) pressing instantly when he lost the ball and tracking runners along the flank. Like Giroud, in defence, his 6'2" helps a lot in heading away all those crosses.

Like Giroud, as long as he contributed 15 league goals per season, he is an asset.

It is pointless to buy 4 no. world-class strikers with 2 or 3 of them unhappy to site on the bench.

We need squad players like Welbeck after Giroud is gone.
Who are the youngsters who can play like Welbeck?
Akpom?
Mivdidi?

Any 6'2" youngsters ready to replace Welbeck next season?

Eddie Nketiah is a different kind of player and Welbeck, like Giroud, is Plan B when we need to change the game in the 70th minute.

[paininthearsenal.com]

Welbeck needs a defined role that is not beyond his capabilities, and by capabilities, I do not mean what he is potentially capable of but, at 27, what he has proven he is capable of. Thankfully, in recent weeks, I believe that role has come to the fore for the striker, first in the two legs against AC Milan in the Europa League and now in the 3-2 win over Southampton on Sunday.

Against Milan, with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang cup-tied and Alexandre Lacazette absent through injury, Welbeck was called upon to lead the Arsenal line. He did so admirably. He worked tirelessly, especially in the away leg, ran the channels relentlessly, stretching the pitch and providing space for the midfielders behind him, while also providing a focal point that the play could work off of.

And against Southampton, Welbeck was shifted into a wide-left role, though he was afforded the license to swap positions with Aubameyang. In this inside-forward position, Welbeck found great joy. Both of his goals, for instance, are prime examples of how he can flourish in a goal-scoring wide role.

This, for me, is what Welbeck has required all these years. An understanding of what he brings to the team, a working knowledge of how to get the best out of him, and a strong relationship between role and production, knowing what is expected of him tactically and contribution wise. And that is what he now has.

Welbeck is expected to be flexible depth cover for the front three positions. He is expected to score around 15 goals a season in all competitions, provide an element of pace and dynamism in wide areas and a spearheading presence through the middle. This is his role.

Re: What does Webeck brings to the team?
MattySadler (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 07:50
An assist and 2 goals yesterday Merl.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 08:47
Quote:
MattySadler
An assist and 2 goals yesterday Merl.

A shadow of what we were

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 13:05
He can fill in for Mkhitaryan who is likely out for the rest of the season with ligament injuries. He will be working hard for Arsenal to win a spot in the England team. He does his fair share of tracking back and defending including at setpieces. He needs to sharpen his shooting and positioning to get amongst the goals.

I say give him a chance to show what he can do in the same team as Lacazette, Aubameyang and Ozil.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 14:07
He shows glimpses once every blue moon (like yesterday), but lets now kid ourselves as he's generally absolutely f.ucking garbage the majority of the time.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

younghansolo (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 14:45
The point about Giroud and defending is a really good one. I think we massively miss how good he was in particular at corners.

PKGooner (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 21:56
Nothing for the most part.

The guy is diabolical.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 22:19
Perhaps playing with Mkhi and Auba will help him o find space in the box.

Hope to see a rejuvenated Welbeck who is healthy with an improving first touch.

Welbeck is savvy enough to know that his international career lies in him improving and remain fit, plus plenty of scoring chances with creative playmakers in Ozil and Mkhi in the team.
Not forgetting Xhaka with his accurate lobs and long passes from deep.

This summer pre-season may very well help to gel this team.

Hope is the last creature out of Pandora Box

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 23:05
Quote:
PKGooner
Nothing for the most part.
The guy is diabolical.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Shane (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 11:54
If Welbeck is here next season it's a big problem, but I don't think he will be. Hopefully he has a good World Cup (if he goes, which I think he probably will) then maybe West Ham or somebody will pick him up for about £6 million.

Goofle (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 12:17
He will be here. Many other players I would get rid of before him.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 12:49
There's literally only a handful of players we should keep. The squad is as bad as it's been in about two and half decades.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 16:56
If he is happy to be no 3 striker and no 2 or 3 on the wing sure

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 07:07
What padre said

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 23:35
Yes, we need utility player like him who is happy to site on the bench and fight for a starting spot.
Plus, we need 8 no. homegrown players for League and 12 no. homegrown players for European competition squad.

Homegrown players for next season assuming Wilshere will leave and Ramsey signs on.

1 - Macey
2 - Chambers
3 - Holding
4 - Maitland-Niles
5 - Bellerin
6 - Ramsey
7 - Iwobi
8 - Welbeck
9 - Nelson
10- Nketiah
11- ?
12- ?

Hope is the last creature out of Pandora Box

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 23:37
Attitude, desire and hunger.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 23:51
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

So you're going to insist on s.hitting on Ramsey, but you're.going to have a Thomas the tank over Welbeck? .... Ok then.

weedz (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 00:37
Definely not diabolical. He has his share of diabolical shooting, but they all do. He's not a number 9.

But what he is is a hard working forward who has scored 10 for us plus a few assists so far this season.

I reckon it's a case of 'fit and in form'. And while he is capable of making me shout at the bloody TV, I do appreciate the amount of ground he is covering. A work ethic that seems to rub off on the rest of the team.

To make that turn, drive into the box for a beautiful 1-2 with Elneny and score that majestic goal takes him well out of being diabolical. Just my thoughts.

Jack, at present,is diabolical. Does that make him a diabolical player?

MattySadler (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 07:13
It gives me great pleasure to tell you all that Danny Welbeck has as many goals this season as Alexis.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 22:58
Quote:
BootyDaddy
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

So you're going to insist on s.hitting on Ramsey, but you're.going to have a Thomas the tank over Welbeck? .... Ok then.

Where have i spoken about Ramsey on this thread you clown!

I know you can't handle that I'm right about everything but that's not my fault, deal with it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net