football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Southampton
MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 17:05
Cech - 6. Blame Mustafi for the opening goal.

Bellerin - 5. Made one good clearance off the line in the first half but that was about all the good he did.
Mustafi - 3. Bad error for Southampton's first goal and looked nervous throughout.
Chambers - 4. Poor, particularly on Southampton's second.
Kolasinac - 6. Okay but didn't offer much going forward.

Xhaka - 7. Thought he did well today, in possession, defensively and going forward. Had a good effort saved in the second half.
Elneny - 6. Thought he was having a good game but stupid getting himself sent off, although a red was harsh.

Iwobi - 7.5. Got better as the game went on. Involved in the first goal and set up the other two. Assist for the third goal was quality. Had a good effort saved as well.
Nelson - 5. Some good touches on his Premier League debut but struggled overall.
Welbeck - 8. Quality assist for Aubameyang's equaliser and scored our second. Missed an absolute sitter before winning the game late with his second. Did some good defensive work as well.

Aubameyang - 6. Scored with a clever poke but wasn't involved much otherwise.

Subs:

Wilshere - 4. Tried to put himself about but was rubbish in possession, apart from the chance he made for Welbeck.
Lacazette - 4. Some good touches without getting too involved.
Holding - 5. Made one great block at the end.

When a spirited Southampton side fighting relegation and featuring Shane Long, and a complacent and heavily rotated Arsenal side came head-to-head, it was always going to be an open game.

We didn't start well and Southampton took the lead following some shocking play from Mustafi, but we equalised when Welbeck's beautifully cushioned flick was poked home by Aubameyang and took the lead when Welbeck cut in from the left and saw his effort deflected in. An open second half followed with chances at either end, with Xhaka and Iwobi both coming close for us, but Southampton equalised following more shocking defending. Welbeck had a great chance to win it for us but somehow missed an open goal. He made amends at the end, however, heading in following great play from Iwobi. Stephens and Elneny were both sent off late on.

Following on from what I said after the CSKA game, when you're playing a style which leaves your centre backs exposed a lot, they NEED to be monsters who aren't going to lose duels/ foot races/ 50-50s, or be beaten for pace. Chambers and Mustafi aren't those guys and Shane Long, who always seems to play well against us, showed that today.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2018 09:57 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Southampton
MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 18:19
Alex Iwobi vs Southampton (H)

83% pass accuracy
64 touches
2 dribbles completed
8 duels won
2 clearances
1 tackle won
2 shots
3 chances created
2 assists

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2018 19:19 by MattySadler.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 18:32
He did improve started poorly but fair play to him

A shadow of what we were

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 18:42
Iwobi has a slight chance of remaining an Arsenal player. But for the likes of Wilshere, Chambers & Holding, the future definitely lies outside of the top 6. Wilshere seems to have a reached a plateau, while the other 2 are still young enough to have a chance of improving. But their lack of basic skills is painfully obvious.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 19:50
Wilshere was worse than Iwobi and I am a huge fan of Jack. Other than creating 1 great chance for Wellbeck to miss from in front of goal, he did nothing other than giving the ball away countless times, starting a fight with the opponent and was just too slow for a high intensity game. He needs to up his game big time and it is apparent he has lost his pace to get away from players - his trade mark move before his injuries. Too often slowing the pace of the game for no reason. He needs to reinvent himself with the lost of pace and not assume he is the same player as a few seasons ago.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 20:25
Interesting summer ahead

A shadow of what we were

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2018 20:26 by Bergmars.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 21:42
Wilshere clearly isn't good enough along with a few more.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 22:32
It was painful to watch Crab Football at its best.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 00:53
Quote:
Merlion96
It was painful to watch Crab Football at its best.
First half was almost entirely crab football.
No wonder so many empty seats

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 07:57
Not making excuses for him but Wilshere looks sh*gged to me. He's played 30+ games for the first time in at least three or four seasons and he looks like his legs have gone. Trying to put himself about whenever he plays but there's nothing left in the tank.

Flash back a couple of months ago and Wilshere was probably the only bright spark in our under performing team.

If he does sign a new contract with us then I hope he doesn't go to the World Cup, as a summer rest and proper pre-season are needed.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 12:14
Quote:
Bergmars
Interesting summer ahead

Not with Wenger still in charge. We haven't had an interesting summer for about a decade and a half now.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Trent2000 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:26
Iwobi has one good game and we all think all is well, please. He and Danny are so inconsistent its crazy to think they will play next season other than role players. We need players that bring it every game and show the quality they have game in and game out. We have a handful at best and need more to show it.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:09
For people saying Wilshere was rubbish. He still created what should have been a goal in the short time he was on. He's still effective.

For me, this game simply showed that we cannot defend in the slightest. We were bailed out by the attack. How often can that happen.
I can't think of any other teams, ever that had defences that regularly look as petrified as we do. We get so nervous their legs shake when they go to pass the ball. It's ridiculous,

MattySadler (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 17:24
Quote:
Trent2000
Iwobi has one good game and we all think all is well, please. He and Danny are so inconsistent its crazy to think they will play next season other than role players. We need players that bring it every game and show the quality they have game in and game out. We have a handful at best and need more to show it.

Sorry who thinks "all is well"?

Flava (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 22:06
Quote:
younghansolo
For people saying Wilshere was rubbish. He still created what should have been a goal in the short time he was on. He's still effective.
For me, this game simply showed that we cannot defend in the slightest. We were bailed out by the attack. How often can that happen.
I can't think of any other teams, ever that had defences that regularly look as petrified as we do. We get so nervous their legs shake when they go to pass the ball. It's ridiculous,

Wilshere was rubbish on Sunday and has been rubbish most of the year

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 22:29
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
younghansolo

Spoken like a dye-in-the-wool Tiny Tots fan.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 08:11
Quote:
Merlion96
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
younghansolo

What?

Flava (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 08:31
Quote:
Merlion96
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
younghansolo

So you think he's had a good season?

younghansolo (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 14:20
I think Wilshere has had a pretty good season personally. Often been one of the better players when he's played. In the Europa in particular he has been very good.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 17:07
I couldn't give him more than a 6/10 for this season personally.

Goofle (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 20:25
Better than most to be fair.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net