football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

I felt as outdated and irrelevant as Arsene Wenger at AT
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 03:18
Those days where the first thing I woke out is to check what was happening at AT.
Battling with rival fans from Tiny Totts, Chelski, Liverpool and ManU over here in those halcyon days.

Nowadays, it is just dispirited and feeling like a stranger in a strange land whenever I visited AT.

No more bantering ... just vitriol over here ... just hatred ... how demoralizing.

Just a chore just visiting here with unfriendliness when one has an alternative view.

I am here at Arsenal FC 'ços I was attracted by Arsene Wenger in 1996.

And frankly, the vibrancy had gone out of AT under such adversity.

AT had morphed into one "Anti-Wenger" outbursts all the time, very little energy spent on football analysis.

A new generation at AT ... and I am just not it at AT ... just outdated ...just irrelevant at AT, like an old foggie of an Arsene Wenger.

And trying to find my new Arsenal football bantering spot in this new Arsenal fan world, trying to be relevant ... not there yet but certainly not here now with the current climate of vitriol and hatred towards an archaic Arsene Wenger at every other threads.

"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is a success.”
Henry Ford

Re: I felt as outdated and irrelevant as Arsene Wenger at AT
SandyB (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 04:19
Yeah merl, when you gotta celebrate a battle of the spy match victory..Thursday nite channel 5 people used to taunt the Spuds n Liverpool fans couple of seasons back then there must be really something exciting going on to analyze isn’t it? I didn’t watch a single Europa league game so far normally the only Europa game I watch is the highlights of the final. I record every CL game still n watch most of them so hell yeah if you want to analyze the Ronaldo’s bicycle or Klopp’s tactical outsmarting Pep we can do it but talking about how Arsene demolished the Russians.. neh!!

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 10:13
Merl its no more hostile or apathetic here than it is at the ground, to an extent it reflects the situation.
I remember when I got a lot of hostility when I first made it editorial policy that Wenger should leave. That never meant that those who wanted Wenger to stay were not welcome.

Also we live in the age of the web bite, most people on line havent the stamina to read long analysis, we can either condemn them for that or adjust our writing style to meet them at least halfway.
Personally I have stopped writing much about Arsenal because what can you say? Its same old same old, the manager is no longer up to the mark, but I dont want to keep repeating that.
Occassionally something amusing happens I will write that up, but there is not much to be learnt watching Wenger's Arsenal, which is why the seats are becoming less and less used at the ground.
Your goal tally was interesting, but 130 goals? You know its not going to happen, more likely to be conceded, so its hard to focus on it now.
But I dont think you should take the wisecracks too hard, its no worse on here than anywhere else, in fact the banter is far politer and many of the posts more analytical.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Shane (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 12:31
Quote:
Merlion96

Merl has accidentally revealed himself to be Boro Primorac.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 18:05
You need to reinvent yourself Merl.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 20:16
Don't let the bstdrds grind you down.

A shadow of what we were

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 20:47
This forum was at it's peak when me Tom and Jack use to post on here everyday.

It also went downhill when the off topic threads moved.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 21:24
2007 seems a long time since my first post

A shadow of what we were

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 21:48
Can't recalled accurately.
I think I was here since 2002/03?

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 21:49
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
This forum was at it's peak when me Tom and Jack use to post on here everyday.
It also went downhill when the off topic threads moved.

Not true.
It was at its peak when we were serious title contender every season with fans from Tiny Totts, Chelski, Liverpool and ManU coming over regularly to wind us up.
Even fans from Newcastle turned up to wind us up.

"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is a success.”
Henry Ford

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 21:51
Quote:
Padre Pio
Merl its no more hostile or apathetic here than it is at the ground, to an extent it reflects the situation.
I remember when I got a lot of hostility when I first made it editorial policy that Wenger should leave. That never meant that those who wanted Wenger to stay were not welcome.

Also we live in the age of the web bite, most people on line havent the stamina to read long analysis, we can either condemn them for that or adjust our writing style to meet them at least halfway.
Personally I have stopped writing much about Arsenal because what can you say? Its same old same old, the manager is no longer up to the mark, but I dont want to keep repeating that.
Occassionally something amusing happens I will write that up, but there is not much to be learnt watching Wenger's Arsenal, which is why the seats are becoming less and less used at the ground.
Your goal tally was interesting, but 130 goals? You know its not going to happen, more likely to be conceded, so its hard to focus on it now.
But I dont think you should take the wisecracks too hard, its no worse on here than anywhere else, in fact the banter is far politer and many of the posts more analytical.

We achieved 130-goal last season.
And this season was really a big let-down with Arsene Wenger imploding; and those players he believed in let him down badly.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 21:52
Quote:
MattySadler
You need to reinvent yourself Merl.

Hit it right on the head! (Sm128)

Henry Ford

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 21:54
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
Merlion96

Merl has accidentally revealed himself to be Boro Primorac.

Actually, Eduardo is Pat Rice in disguise has higher probability than moi is Boro.

Henry Ford

younghansolo (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 22:33
I often wonder what happened to the likes of madmaxim and fatmangooner.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 23:55
Fatman gunner he was weird

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

celine dion (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 15:54
I wouldnt say there was any vitriol on this forum.

If I had to compare it to anything, it would be to an office in a very old, failing company, where a lot of us have worked for many many years, and are very familiar with each other, and where we now try and get away with doing and saying as little as possible, because there isn't really any point. We just turn up every now and again, poke about on our keyboards occasionally speak to some of the other people who work here, then make our excuses and leave again.

Of course there are some youngsters who start work here , and dont really understand how it all works yet, so they try and drum up debates, (in the same way new people in sh*t companies often try and arrange work outings and so on), by talking about Aaron Ramsay or whatever, but they soon realise that none of the rest of us give a f*ck, and give up.

The only way it will be resolved is when the megalomaniacal, misguided Chairman of our managing company stops running his empire into the ground and leaves.

Gunners R Us (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 21:53
Fatman Gooner is Arsenal Time's greatest ever poster. If you weren't here to see his magic i feel sorry for you.

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 22:55
The peak of AT was proabably around 2008.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 00:55
Quote:
Optimistic Gunner
The peak of AT was proabably around 2008.
Which is probably when Wenger peaked, his last real attempt at winning the league

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 12:17
Saying he's not trying to win the league now is delusional ... we're only 30 points behind.

We've never had things so good.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:53
I know you are joking, but what is delusional is that he thinks he had a team capable of winning the league for the last 10 years

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 21:45
Delusion? I recall him stating it was his greatest ever Arsenal team when Bendtner was leading the line in RVP's absence.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 22:28
I don't think we are delusional on hoping the best for the team.

Like this eternal optimist, always believing the team has a chance to win the title during autumn and then, every season for the past 10 years, Hope died during the wintry months.

We always live in that Dream.
And Hope, is the last creature released from Pandora's Box.

Henry Ford

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 23:35
Yes Merl I understand that fans are delusional it's essenti to
our existence, we might spend 70 years following our team. I do t expect the managers to be delusional for that long. If they are the board must sack them

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net