football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Reiss Nelson
sinpa01 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 17:09
Looks like another prospect wanting to leave due to the lack of playing min to break into the first team.

Marcus McGuane he left due to the same reason. There has to be a balance and a good manager should have the ability to bring in youngsters at the right time. Game Management just like pep and mourinho do on a constant basis. Even if they have ton of money to go out and buy!

So what's up with Wenger? Guy is really hurting our club!

Re: Reiss Nelson
Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 23:42
He's a nothing player and will never make it.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 00:32
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
He's a nothing player and will never make it.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Kalela (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 02:21
What bothers me more than the lack of playing time is how every youngster is played out of position when they are given a chance. Nelson, a very good winger, is always played as a left wing back or a full back by Wenger. Very annoying.

We don't have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap - Arsene Wenger

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 07:52
That's the bit that I find laughable, promising youngsters are played out of position when given a chance in the senior team and somehow we can decide they're s.hit on the back of it.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

younghansolo (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 12:15
is he definitely leaving?

Goofle (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 13:18
Who gives a f*ck?

Flava (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 15:49
Quote:
Goofle
Who gives a f*ck?

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 23:20
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
Goofle
Who gives a f*ck?

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

litmus (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 03:10
Quote:
Kalela
What bothers me more than the lack of playing time is how every youngster is played out of position when they are given a chance. Nelson, a very good winger, is always played as a left wing back or a full back by Wenger. Very annoying.

Not the case with Reiss Nelson or also Willock, they have always been played in attacking midfield/wide midfield positions. Yes, some young ones are played out of position over the years like Maitland Niles and the Ox recently, but due to the team being congested in certain positions, its better than them not playing at all.

Reiss Nelson and Willock have been given chances in their preferred positions, but I don't think any of them have done a "Rooney at 16". They are still far from first team quality. Even Iwobi is still far from first team quality, yet he plays all the time. God knows why.

If Reiss wants to leave, then its really too bad. But the club can't be held ransom. Even Bendtner at 19 believed he should be playing ahead of RvP and Adebayor. No one is above the club. If you are good enough, you will play. You want to play, prove that you deserve it. that means, put in performances better than Ozil, Iwobi, Mhki. Its that simple.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 09:52
If I'm any player at the club and watching Iwobi run around in my position like a headless chicken week after week ahead of me, I'd be p*ssed off too.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

litmus (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 04:45
Quote:
BootyDaddy
If I'm any player at the club and watching Iwobi run around in my position like a headless chicken week after week ahead of me, I'd be p*ssed off too.

The only reason I can think off why Iwobi plays all the time is Wenger wanting to prove a point, whatever it is.

Is Iwobi that much better than Walcott, who while inconsistent is more of a goal threat?

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 09:20
Iwobi isn't fit to wipe Walcott's butt cheeks and that's seriously saying something.

Flava (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 12:10
Surely Theo is capable of wiping his own bottom

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 15:21
You never know, in 12 years he wasn't capable of staying onside.

litmus (IP Logged)
22 March, 2018 02:27
Walcott contributed more goals and assist in a season on average than Iwobi has in the few seasons that Iwobi has played. And mind you, Iwobi gets his lion share of the games, even last season when Theo hardly got a game.

I believe that Wenger believed that Theo while is a good player wouldn't have gotten any better than what he currently was, and Iwobi can be developed so much more. So he prioritise the now for the future. Thats silly cos Iwobi might turn out to be another failed youth development project like so many other we had before.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
22 March, 2018 04:37
Iwobi had better ball control and plays better on the half turn. Wenger thinks that other things like goal scoring, decision making and defensive contributions can be developed with experience.

This is not always true, but like litmus says, the ceiling is higher.

Theo when he came about also was a in a similar situation. Great place, decent first touch en if not the best and good shooting abilities for his age.

But he never really added up that much and lost a bit of peace after his knee injury.

Iwobi is going the same way with his development stagnant or maybe he has reached his ceiling like walcott did

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/03/2018 10:49 by CazOnARola.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
22 March, 2018 10:25
Quote:
litmus
Walcott contributed more goals and assist in a season on average than Iwobi has in the few seasons that Iwobi has played. And mind you, Iwobi gets his lion share of the games, even last season when Theo hardly got a game.
I believe that Wenger believed that Theo while is a good player wouldn't have gotten any better than what he currently was, and Iwobi can be developed so much more. So he prioritise the now for the future. Thats silly cos Iwobi might turn out to be another failed youth development project like so many other we had before.

Iwobi is another failed youth development because he's a nearly 22 year old senior player now .... and absolutely s.hit.

If Wenger really believes he'll make a top player (f.uck knows why) then he should have sent him out on loan rather than persisting with him running around like a pub player in our first team.

Gunners R Us (IP Logged)
22 March, 2018 19:17
Iwobi at 22 has his best years ahead of him. A lot of knee jerk reactions here.

He is by no means ready to be a starter for a top 4 club but definitely a good squad player who will improve

litmus (IP Logged)
23 March, 2018 08:21
Quote:
Gunners R Us
Iwobi at 22 has his best years ahead of him. A lot of knee jerk reactions here.
He is by no means ready to be a starter for a top 4 club but definitely a good squad player who will improve

ok then, why does he get a first team player status then? He doesn't deserve any more gametime compared to Adelaide for example.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
23 March, 2018 11:29
He's not a good squad player. You are either good enough to play for the club or you're not ... he's not.

He's not alone either, we have a squad full of players who aren't good enough. Iwobi just stands out because he is absolutely s.hit at football.

Goofle (IP Logged)
23 March, 2018 13:55
Walcott got the maximum out of his abilities. One of Wenger's bigger achievements.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
23 March, 2018 22:13
Walcott was one of the most promising young talents in world football when he came to the club and was included in the world cup finals squad at just 16.

Wenger massively underachieved where he is concerned.

Goofle (IP Logged)
24 March, 2018 01:54
No he didn't. Walcott was a fast kid with pretty basic ability compared to the talent level expected at Arsenal. But he turned him into a genuinely productive footballer who could hit about 20 combined goals and assists a season.

His improvements were quite remarkable in my opinion. A fantastic finisher who learned how to make as much of an impact as he could on and off the ball. A huge success story for Wenger.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
24 March, 2018 02:14
Massive goal threats and huge success stories aren't offloaded in their prime at age 28 because after 12 long years its evident they're not good enough.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
24 March, 2018 05:09
Quote:
BootyDaddy
Massive goal threats and huge success stories aren't offloaded in their prime at age 28 because after 12 long years its evident they're not good enough.
Success is relative. Tom his taking about his first touch and his football brain. He was known as Gump for a reason.

What Tom is saying is wenger the max out of whatever theo had to offer as a footballer and I agree with him.

We have largely had shitty players in the squad with 2/3 exceptions since the move to emirates. Combine that with some baffling tactics since 2012 and you land where we are

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
24 March, 2018 08:34
Still don't agree. Walcott had the odd bit of success because he always ws talented, i.e. why we signed him at 16 and why he made that WC squad.

But Wenger never got the best out of him. Like you mentioned, in 12 years he still couldn't be taught how to control a football or learn how to make a run without that guy dressed in black on the sidelines raising that thing they call a flag.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
24 March, 2018 18:21
Have to agree with BD. Walcott had the raw ingredients to be successful when he moved to Arsenal. Things like touch, dribbling, passing, movement, shooting and decision making - attributes that can be coached when young. Heck he is supposed to be the next TH14. If Wenger coached him probably, he would be better than a blind alley runnerr. Granted he improved as a goal scorer but he is useless against deep lying defences.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 06:18
I don't understand guys. I have played, coached and there were always players with low IQ who never could do some things inspite if being told million times.

I dunno if you guys realize that most of us have a day job and how dumb some sports person can be compared to people with good education with regular jobs. They actually have issues remembering and following basic instructions. No brains, just brawn.

You guys are under estimating just how dumb some of the English players are when it comes to football intelligence.

There are some things that can't be taught and there are also some people who can't be taught.

The issues range from IQ, ability to outright attitude pbms.

Ramsey has broken his leg and wilshere has had numerous injuries as well.

Forget about ability, tell me who is closer to his size now compared to their size they were 22/23?

Who was found smoking?

Just look at Ronaldinho and messi and you realize how much player willingness plays a part.

Most of the english players get too much money too quick and only the ones with strong self discipline and willingness to actually improved irrespective of which coach they played for. I personally feel walcott made the most of his limited footballing abilities. His touch actually improved drastically during his last years, esp of u look at the united game at home wherr we scored 3.

Compare that to his blind alley days. And that was his peak. His biggest wrakness has always been close control and movement. He always had a couple of different types of runs that he makes. Never came across as an intelligent footballer to me.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 07:22
You haven't got to be Einstein to play football or to at least learn and improve on the basics. Otherwise Senderos would have been the new Bobby Moore else, the guy spoke 5 languages.

Theo never came across a chin dribbler anyway, always spoke well in interviews. He should have been way better than what he was.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 09:23
No but you don't need a coach to tell you that you cannot score a goal if you are offside.

Its not about knowing what needs to be done, it's about keeping calm and focused enough to not keep repeating the same mistakes again and again.

I've seen enough people in my life who continue to do that. Infact wenger is one of them.

Like i said the pbms range from IQ, ability to attitudes. And by IQ i obv mean football intelligence and basic logic.

Never seen that in theo s game.. Always seen him use his pace more than somehow "foxing" a defender like a pires.

Interview are always the same. They all say the same things "we goota stick together, we gotta bounce back, we really played is a team, the credit goes to all the boys, etc etc".

Just because he is not making outrageous comments and is politically correct 90% of the time doesn't mean he actually has football brain.

Suarez is probably the most stupid in terms of his contractual decisions not to mention his biting habits, but he has a fantastic football brain.
Never seen that in players like theo and many English players in general.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 25/03/2018 16:41 by CazOnARola.

Gunners R Us (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 10:42
Walcott showed rapid pace abc clever instinctive finishing at Southampton.

He showed no signs of being able to dribble, pass or even any skill.

I don’t know why he was chosen for the World Cup. I don’t think Sven knew either.

This idea of Walcott as some type of wonderkid is nonesense, especially when you look at someone like Mbappe who fits that bill. Walcott never showed anything to the level we’ve seen like mbappe. I can even cite Leon Bailey has another example.

Walcott was only 16 so obviously had room to grow but what we brought from so’ton was not this star in the making people like to make out.

Goofle (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 17:33
He improved every aspect of his game significantly.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 15:34
Quote:
Goofle
He improved every aspect of his game significantly.
Agreed. He didn't have ball control and could seldom pick out players with his head up we first arrived. Infact it vwaa almost close to 0. So much so that we had to play eboue at RW cause theo didn't track back and actually lost the ball a lot more. Ebou could actually keep the ball better, of course he was useless in the final third.

The only complaint is that i thought he always had very good shooting technique (evident from his chelsea goal in the calling cup final) but he never improved in that considerably either in technique or composure

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 20:12
So you're saying he improved since he was 16 ... well you'd hope so really wouldn't you.

The point I'm making is that for the potential he had back then, he should have been so much more but Wenger failed to get the most out of him. Nowhere near in fact.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 02:19
And I'm saying he hasn't improved a lot more because he has a bang average football brain and natural talent and lost most of his pace after the cruciate injury.

If you want to blame wenger for player losing their abilities / not fulfilling their potential, there are better examples like wilshere/almost every CM who could score from outside the box etc they first arrived /bellerin, etc.

Wilshere was over played a lot in his breakthrough season and had never really recovered from his stress fractures.

Chamberlain infact was better when he first arrived. He could shoot, dribble and was finding of keepers to score, something most of us commented on comparing to theo who would never stay composed like that.

He is by far the biggest under achiever under wenger

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 02:20
Imho, theo maxed or his potential long time back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net