football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Elneny - another late developer?
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 21:50
Watford game was his best ever wearing an Arsenal shirt.

And last summer, he refused to move and informed Wenger that he intended to see out his contract.

Playing as an invisible shield, he free up Xhaka to do what he does best:
- The linkman just behind the Front-3, picking up loose balls, closes any gaps and intercept all passes with his intelligent reading and anticipation. Most of you may not notice the way Xhaka moving up in support of Front-3 and offer another outlet for Front-3 to pass to him when being closed down.

In tandem with Xhaka, there is Elneny sweeping behind Xhaka, covering every blade of grass on the pitch, instantly closing down players and keeping his game simple, passing the ball quickly whenever he found a free player.

Against a physical Watford side, he was rarely rubbed off the ball and in fact, his passing is a quantum leap ahead of Iwobi who cannot even execute one accurate cross or pass clearing the first defender.

It is a team game and all about balance.
Xhaka-Elneny seems to click during a physical Watford game, and brought out the best in each other - synergy.

Now, if our defenders cut out all those nonsense of bearing Emirates Gift by passing the ball to our opponent instead of our players, we will be a solid side and back to the good old days of "One nil to Arsenal".

Like during that period when all our midfielders were injured leaving Wenger with no option but to recalled Coquelin, perhaps Elneny will do a "Charlton Coquelin" and spearhead us to 9 consecutive wins till season end.

But will Wenger keeps Xhaka-Elneny partnership instead of recalling Wilshere and drop Elneny to the bench?

Bringing back a ponderous Wilshere who seems to lose his passing quality is a travesty of justice with Elneny the in-form player now.

If Elneny keeps on improving now, a solid player who is patient, loves the club and prepares to sit on the bench to wait his term, it will be no great loss to allow Wilshere to leave on a Bosman, and sells Ramsey during the summer.

After all, it will open up slots for Wenger to buy better players than Wilshere and Ramsey who will fit into his 2018/19 team and complement the Front-3 in Ozil, Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan, the nucleus which Arsene Wenger will build his last and final title-winning team for the next 5 seasons, starting this season.

'Most owners take out of the club and Vichai just put in. Without him, we would not have won the Premier League. It was a once-in-a-lifetime thing.' Danny Barry, a Leicester City fan for 64 years.

Re: Elneny - another late developer?
SuperRob (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 22:08
Quote:
Merlion96
free up Xhaka to do what he does best

Remind me again what it is that Xhaka does well?

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 22:45
He's pretty good on instagram.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 00:28
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
Merlion96
free up Xhaka to do what he does best

Remind me again what it is that Xhaka does well?

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

younghansolo (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 10:06
I like Elneny. He's the sort of player you should have in your squad. He can play a number of positions and is generally pretty tidy with the ball. He's not exciting but he's competent and we should always have players like that for games like Milan where we just need to be clever and sensible.

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 15:04
Defeat two very mediocre teams, and now even Elneny is good lol... as long as fans continue this way, there's no major trophies coming in a long way.

SandyB (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 16:18
Quote:
SA-Gunner
Defeat two very mediocre teams, and now even Elneny is good lol... as long as fans continue this way, there's no major trophies coming in a long way.
And most importantly Wenger gets a new 5 years deal. Knowing the standard of Arsenal my guess is reaching Europa semi-final will be considered as a reasonably successful season to justify Wenger to stay next season. Reaching Europa final will put it beyond doubt that he stays n winning Europa will be something a massive massive achievement that will demand an immediate pay rise n 5 years new deal. (Sm6)

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 07:07
Elneny is doing better defensively then when he first arrived.

He isn't top 4 team material still which is another matter

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 07:56
Lets not kid ourselves, Elneny is garbage.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 13:20
He is an ok player.
Like a lot of our players.

If we want to challenge for titles etc we definitely need a lot better.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

hahanice (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 16:26
i've always liked elneny. he is what he is. hes tidy, runs a lot, doesn't do anything stupid.

xhaka is absolute trash.

we need better than both of them in order to compete for a title, but if it was between the 2 of them i would take elneny in a heartbeat. he would play whatever position you ask him to play and work hard.

the only players who are good enough to win a title in this team are
Auba
Mikhi
Jack
Kos (the kos of old anyways)
Monreal

and honestly those are all maybe's. not sure any of them get into city's team. so honestly, elneny is not our problem. its the rest of the trash that we employ

14 March, 2018 23:22
Quote:
hahanice
i've always liked elneny. he is what he is. hes tidy, runs a lot, doesn't do anything stupid.
xhaka is absolute trash.

we need better than both of them in order to compete for a title, but if it was between the 2 of them i would take elneny in a heartbeat. he would play whatever position you ask him to play and work hard.

the only players who are good enough to win a title in this team are
Auba
Mikhi
Jack
Monreal

and honestly those are all maybe's. not sure any of them get into city's team. so honestly, elneny is not our problem. its the rest of the trash that we employ

Mikhi
Jack
Monreal

They certainley aren't good enough.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 08:56
We signed Elneny because, at the time, Ramsey, our main source of "legs", and Cazorla, our main source of "passes", were both out injured. Elneny was signed because statistically he excelled in these areas. He has "peak Ashley Cole" fitness levels (not my words), covers a lot of ground and plays a lot of passes, though that is not necessarily always a good thing.

Aside from the fitness levels, distance covered and passing he is pretty useless.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 11:15
Quote:
MattySadler
We signed Elneny because, at the time, Ramsey, our main source of "legs", and Cazorla, our main source of "passes", were both out injured. Elneny was signed because statistically he excelled in these areas. He has "peak Ashley Cole" fitness levels (not my words), covers a lot of ground and plays a lot of passes, though that is not necessarily always a good thing.
Aside from the fitness levels, distance covered and passing he is pretty useless.
His stroke against barca was actually textbook.

My initial impressions when he first arrived was, he did switch off defensively but was getting into decent positions but was very weak in the tackles.

He would get his foot in, but the most times he would get the ball, but the touch was so light that it would bounce right off the attackers shin pads and the attacker would be through and elneny would become of balance.

Lately I have s seen that he is much more firm when he puts his foot in.

I'm wondering if another manager would get more out of him. Cause all we ask of him is to pass and defend.

tigerline (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 13:25
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
MattySadler

My initial impressions when he first arrived was, he did switch off defensively but was getting into decent positions but was very weak in the tackles.

He would get his foot in, but the most times he would get the ball, but the touch was so light that it would bounce right off the attackers shin pads and the attacker would be through and elneny would become of balance.

Lately I have s seen that he is much more firm when he puts his foot in.

I'm wondering if another manager would get more out of him. Cause all we ask of him is to pass and defend.

I will watch him when I can this summer when he plays for Egypt.
I too suspect that he is allowed to be more impactful when away from wenger's influence.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 07:17
Quote:
CazOnARola

Yes it was a good goal. On YouTube videos before he signed from us he looked like his long range shooting was pretty good, but aside from the Barca goal you mentioned all I can really recall is wayward long range shots.

Quote:
CazOnARola

I wonder this about all of our players.

Quote:
tigerline
I will watch him when I can this summer when he plays for Egypt.
I too suspect that he is allowed to be more impactful when away from wenger's influence.

Yes good point.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 14:09
Elneny was pretty decent with his long range shooting at his previous until Wenger discouraged him from doing so.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
23 March, 2018 18:17
I think Wenger should convert him into a RB ala Lauren.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
23 March, 2018 22:15
Yeah right back ... in the changing rooms.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 15:24
Signed a new contract to 2022.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 20:16
Beggars belief

Under new managment

26 March, 2018 22:01
Backup Player at best.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net