football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Wenger getting serious - too little too late?
MattySadler (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 09:43
In response to the reports the other day that Wenger is set to be sacked should we fail to qualify for the Champions League this season, it is being reported today that Wenger held a meeting with the players after the City game, telling them to finish in the top four or it will be "all change in the summer".

Islington Gazette.

Too little too late for me. We're a mess, on and off the pitch, and this will take years to repair. I blame a lot of it on Wenger's "hands off/ treat the players like adults/ concentrate on our own game" b*llocks approach.

I've read/ heard over the last few days, from Ian Wright and others, that there is no discipline at the club. Apparently senior and youth players either turn up late or training or don't turn up at all, and I also read a story that Ozil called in sick, and when the doctor went round to his house with some medication, he'd p*ssed off to Turkey! Wenger let's the players get away with murder, on and off the pitch.

We've fallen apart and the rest of the football world is loving every minute of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2018 09:46 by MattySadler.

Re: Wenger getting serious - too little too late?
Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:59
Quote:
MattySadler
In response to the reports the other day that Wenger is set to be sacked should we fail to qualify for the Champions League this season, it is being reported today that Wenger held a meeting with the players after the City game, telling them to finish in the top four or it will be "all change in the summer".
Islington Gazette.

Too little too late for me. We're a mess, on and off the pitch, and this will take years to repair. I blame a lot of it on Wenger's "hands off/ treat the players like adults/ concentrate on our own game" b*llocks approach.

I've read/ heard over the last few days, from Ian Wright and others, that there is no discipline at the club. Apparently senior and youth players either turn up late or training or don't turn up at all, and I also read a story that Ozil called in sick, and when the doctor went round to his house with some medication, he'd p*ssed off to Turkey! Wenger let's the players get away with murder, on and off the pitch.

We've fallen apart and the rest of the football world is loving every minute of it.

I expect it's a load of bull Wenger called a meeting with the players.
There have been plenty of other occasions when that should have happened.
We are a laughing stock with football fans.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

MattySadler (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 11:34
Quote:
Boston Gooner
I expect it's a load of bull Wenger called a meeting with the players.
There have been plenty of other occasions when that should have happened.
We are a laughing stock with football fans.

Plenty of occasions where it SHOULD have happened, but I don't think Wenger has ever been under this much scrutiny.

Someone on talksport yesterday (can't recall who) said that most of the board wanted Wenger gone and he went above their heads, Gazidis has bought in new people behind the scenes to take power from him, Josh Kroenke has been sniffing around recently and, on top of all of this, we've been absolutely rotten on the pitch.

Pressure is getting to him.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 11:34
As much as I'd like to see a lot of the dross in the team shipped out as well as the owner and board, the only "all change in the summer" I need right now is for Wenger to f.uck off.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 11:49
Top four he is more delusional than ever, 6th is the highest he can finish

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 12:08
Last chance saloon. Good luck to him, he's gong to need it.

SandyB (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 13:09
Preparing to force stay for the next season.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 14:02
Wenger on his future: "I turned the whole world down to respect my contracts so I am amazed that I still have to answer these type of questions."

SandyB (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 14:44
Quote:
MattySadler
Wenger on his future: "I turned the whole world down to respect my contracts so I am amazed that I still have to answer these type of questions."
Translation:
Result doesn't matter going nowhere.
Reality: The whole REST OF THE WORLD wants him to stay at Arsenal rather than creating a nuisance to everybody else with his audacious claims that anybody else wants him. (Sm22)

kudzif01 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 16:23
Quote:
MattySadler

Nothing annoys me more than the i turned down the world for Arsenal narrative of Wenger.

Let's be honest he did it for himself.He has been a top 5 paid manager in football at Arsenal, and he had unmatched job security that he would not have anywhere else.He also had a level of control he would never have had at any other big club.

Please Mr Wenger stop with the i sacrificed for Arsenal act.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 19:18
Really! The whole world has been looking for a manager that cant win league 14 years running.
What big European club would keep him? Most sack managers after 3 years, Bobby Robson won league with barca and still got the sack.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 19:22
I doubt he's had many amazing options on recent years. It's not 2005

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 21:12
Quote:
MattySadler
Islington Gazette.

I thought the reason he sold Alex Song was that he was indiscipline and always late for training?

'Most owners take out of the club and Vichai just put in. Without him, we would not have won the Premier League. It was a once-in-a-lifetime thing.' Danny Barry, a Leicester City fan for 64 years.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 09:07
That was seven years ago.

John Cross is reporting that a number of senior players have now turned on Wenger.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:39
Then Arsene Wenger should keep his words ..

"Ï will leave when the dressing room no longer support me and I can't take the team further ...

He claimed Japan changed him.
He is a hypocrite if he does not understand the meaning of giri.

'Most owners take out of the club and Vichai just put in. Without him, we would not have won the Premier League. It was a once-in-a-lifetime thing.' Danny Barry, a Leicester City fan for 64 years.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 18:23
“The decision on when to leave has technically always been mine - and that will remain. It’s part of my job.”

- Arsene Wenger.

In a nutshell...

MattySadler (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 19:25
So apparently another "team meeting" took place on the Tuesday after the League Cup final defeat...

Quote:
The Guardian

The speech was delivered by one of the senior players in the Arsenal dressing room but he did not finish it. He was too choked up as he reflected on how such a talented squad had come to resemble a bunch of drifters. He said his children were asking him why Arsenal were so bad. That was the moment when the tears welled in his eyes.

Another Arsenal player stepped in. “We are a big club,” he said, tapping into the rallying cry theme. “But we need more help from the coaches.” That was when the damning judgment was articulated. It had actually been the motivation for the players to gather in the first place – without Arsène Wenger. “It’s not going to happen,” one of them said. “We need to find the answers ourselves.”

If true he really has lost the dressing room...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 19:27 by MattySadler.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 19:40
Also any guesses on who the three players mentioned are? I have an idea.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 22:06
Koscielny, Cech and Mertesacker.

Are there any other senior players at arsenal?

Flava (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 23:00
Wilshere, Cech, Mertesacker

Shane (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 01:02
Wilshere fits the bill.

Not a senior player but probably could be considered one due to how long he's been around, and he has children young enough to ask the answer to obvious questions like 'Why are Arsenal shite?'.

And he has a history with the club, to the point where he is more likely to get physically upset about the situation than others.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 07:55
Wilshere's children are 6 and 4. Mertesacker's children are 7 and 4. Koscielny has a 7 year old and another who I believe is younger. Cech's children are 10 and 9.

I'm thinking its got to be either Cech, Mertesacker or Koscielny for the tear-filled speech (Player A), as they're the senior players. Mertesacker has a history for calling player meetings as well, right?

The player who said we need more from the coaches (Player cool smiley, could another of those three, or I was thinking it could be one of the ones who are apparently unhappy at the level of coaching/ instruction given here. Mustafi tried to leave in the summer as he apparently wasn't happy with it. Also Xhaka was apparently is disbelief at the lack of instruction given when he first signed for us (which I think you can see from his play).

Then we have the frustrated and more petulant one (Player C), who said we aren't going to get any help from the coaches and need to find the answer ourselves. I'd guess somebody passionate yet frustrated. Ramsey or Wilshere are my guesses for this one.

Then we have the one who leaked all of this to David Hytner at the Guardian (Player D). This could literally be any of our players, but Twitter's money is currently on Wilshere. My thinking is that it would explain mysterious disappearance from Thursday's game with a "slight ankle injury". Put on the naughty step for stepping out of line?

Just speculation anyway.

Shane (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 12:58
Good logic mate. Wilshere's just the only one I can envisage being upset by the whole debacle in all honesty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2018 12:59 by Shane.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 13:19
Koscielny confirmed as "Player A".

SandyB (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 16:33
Except Koscielny rest of these players are useless, they should shut up n try to give their limited best, no manager replacing Wenger will keep them in their even 3 years plan. Even Koscielny is getting older n wouldn’t survive that long.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 19:52
At least a three year plan and we will have to be patient.Having said that a new manager and coaching regime could organise the players we have to perform far better than we are.

Under new managment

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 02:55
Wenger has his pbms tactically, but we have lost lots of matches because of individual errors that cannot be corrected at this level as well as an absolute lack of physical effort in some games.

I have no idea how you can teach someone to be the right side of the man who is supposed to be world cup winner. Other examples are some selecte players trying to press inexplicably when the instructions would be to clearly play soaking on the counter attack as partial pressing never works.

The whole calling in sick for training etc just seems bizzare though I'd the players really care so much and it's the lack of instructions which is the whole problem.
Most of the players that have supposedly spoken out wouldn't be at this club without wengers blind faith in them.

I'm not sure about their rage cause if he goes, any ansane new manager will sack this lot

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net