football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Santi Cazorla.
Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 11:19
Santi Cazorla is the surprise name in Arsenal's squad for the Europa League after the Gunners made changes ahead of the next stage of the competition.

The Spaniard, who is currently on the sidelines after undergoing the 10th operation of his career, wasn't initially named as part of the squad as Arsene Wenger's team finished top of their group.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Re: Santi Cazorla.
tigerline (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 11:55
Utterly ridiculous.

wenger's sentimental respect for severely damaged players has held the Club back and will do so again.

Like Diaby, who stayed on the team sheet far too long, poor Cazorla can only serve as a happy little mascot these days.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 11:59
What a waste of a space. He will not be playing for Arsenal agin but sure as @#$%& not in the next few of months.

The guy nearly lost his @#$%& leg! Might as well have given en it to Robert Pires or Alex Song if we're taking that route.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 18:09
Some wanted Wilshire sold in the height of his injury crisis's ... Just saying.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Flava (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 19:51
Why not include him. We don’t know how he’s doing

Shane (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 20:29
If we get to the semi-final or final, which isn't hugely unlikely, and if Cazorla is fit, then I'd put him in the team before any other player - including Ozil. He's been an astounding miss. Wenger's foresight lets him down time and again but this makes perfect sense. Very to little to lose - who misses out? Ben Sheaf or somebody? - and a lot to gain.

SandyB (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 21:38
Quote:
Shane
If we get to the semi-final or final, which isn't hugely unlikely, and if Cazorla is fit, then I'd put him in the team before any other player - including Ozil. He's been an astounding miss. Wenger's foresight lets him down time and again but this makes perfect sense. Very to little to lose - who misses out? Ben Sheaf or somebody? - and a lot to gain.

Reaching Europa final is a massive ask from Wenger, mind you Aubameyang isn't eligible!! If the team can reach the Europa final without Cazorla then they can n should play the final without him.

Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 06:02
This is good news surely

We ever said he has had a setback and might now play again this season
So if he had named in in his squad then that means he's ahead of schedule

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

MattySadler (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 07:17
Literally just because there is space in the squad now.

Goofle (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 14:25
Imagine Cazorla at his peak trying to play CM in the current Arsenal team. Would be an utter shambles.

Wenger is a disgrace.

grayfox1 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 13:17
Cazorla at his peak would walk into any team in the world. He'll be an upgrade over anyone we have right now in CM. You are nuts if you think otherwise.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 17:00
Quote:
grayfox1
Cazorla at his peak would walk into any team in the world. He'll be an upgrade over anyone we have right now in CM. You are nuts if you think otherwise.
He exaggerates at times but what he is referring to is cazorla defensive abilities in terms of covering ground and covering ground in general.
That was precisely the reason why he started getting soft tissue injuries. Being played b2b by wenger without rest and having to cover a lot of ground defensively.

During those days we played giroud uptop who could not cover yards and needed to be near opposition goal to score (unlike that chance that aubemeyang missed in the second half) and mertesacker at the back who needed to be close to our box because of his lack of pace.

This resulted in a massive gap in the midfield being covered by cazorla ramsey and coquelin and when coquelin was subbed when chasing games, it was just cazorla and ramsey if fit.

In the current midfield we have a similar pbm, but it's not because of physical inabilities, more down to conc and willingness from xhaka and elneny.

Jack has a similar pbm covering ground because of stature and recently his stamina is also less compared to sub he was 20.
So we are still over reliant and players like ramsey to cover ground and cazorla even at his best wouldn't help as a CM. He would be fantastic in the role mickys been given and he was so two footed, he was def better than micky in his prime

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 17:01
And i say all this inspite of him being one of my fav arsenal players as is evident from the screen name

grayfox1 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 18:21
Wow you've read a lot from Tom's comment grinning smiley Puting everything aside i stand by what i said. He would be a massive upgrade over anyone we curently have in cm.

SandyB (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 23:10
Quote:
grayfox1
Wow you've read a lot from Tom's comment grinning smiley Puting everything aside i stand by what i said. He would be a massive upgrade over anyone we curently have in cm.
Yeah sun rises behind Arsene Wenger’s ass in Wenger LaLa land!!
By the way, tom is spot on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2018 00:03 by SandyB.

Goofle (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 01:34
Imagine a less defensively capable CM than Xhaka playing alongside Ramsey grinning smiley

And before anyone says "Play Cazorla instead of Ramsey"... seriously? Our best CM since Vieira is gonna be replaced by a spanish waiter with a decent set piece?

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 05:10
Quote:
Goofle
Imagine a less defensively capable CM than Xhaka playing alongside Ramsey grinning smiley
And before anyone says "Play Cazorla instead of Ramsey"... seriously? Our best CM since Vieira is gonna be replaced by a spanish waiter with a decent set piece?
Cazorla was more aware defensively aware than xhaka and was into better positions to be honest.

Its a different thing that he wouldn't be able to make much of those good positions cause he doesn't have the reach to win the ball off anyone or to challenge for aerial duels.
Xhaka on the other hand is in poor positions most times and let's ppl go.

So would argue both are equally ineffective. You cab get the stats though, cazorla was average 0.7 interceptions pretty game which was higher than wilshere and ramsey and lower than coquelin who was above 1 when the state came out after we won at city (the game that held cazorla as the next coming of jesus).

Overall i think both a are equally ineffective defensively not more not less

Goofle (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 18:28
Personally think Coquelin should still be here and alongside Ramsey.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 21:13
Coquelin was s.hit, but no worse than what we have at DM.

We need way better.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 06:54
Quote:
Goofle
Personally think Coquelin should still be here and alongside Ramsey.
He averaged 1.3 interceptions per game when he was playing well. Until we signed elneny and he started trying to play cross field balls. His short passing is actually better than both elneny and xhaka. I should say more consistent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2018 11:34 by CazOnARola.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 09:47
Its the selling and not replacing that I'm not a fan of.

Goofle (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 10:51
Wouldn’t have been able to get a good enough replacement in January. Poor squad management as per usual.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net