football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Summer transfer checklist
MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 19:13
Counting injured Cazorla and Mavropanos I believe our current first team squad is down to 23 players. Whether Wenger leaves or not, realistically how many players do we need to be bringing in, in the summer?

One first choice goalkeeper?
One centre back to replace Mertesacker?
One centre back to replace Koscielny?
Monreal's successor at LB?
Second choice right back?
One defensive midfielder to drop Xhaka to second choice?
One midfielder to replace Cazorla?
One midfielder to replace Elneny?
Goal scoring wide player?
Plan B striker?

Re: Summer transfer checklist
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 20:54
The question is:
How many youths will be promoted to replace them or to challenge them?
Like Bellerin took away Debuchy spot?

"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is a success.”
Henry Ford

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 20:55
-YES, can't believe we sold Szczęsny

-YES, Mustafi is not the answer

-YES

-Yes, but doesn't need to be a top quality first choice LB as a promising young player (not youngster) will be good enough and he can fight with Kolasinac for a starting position

-YES, and IMO Bellerin shoudn't be 1st choice either

-HELL YES, a good DM has been needed for a looong time and Xhaka is a waste of space

-Yes, we need a CM who can transition our play from defense to attack well, we can't rely on someone as injury prone as Wilshere, who has also lost his mobility, also Ramsey is not this type of midfielder

-Not really, we should demote Wilshere or Ramsey to this role or promote a promising youngster

-Probably but we need to focus on the defense and we need to see how Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang fit into the team and how they do

Plan B striker?
-Ideally yes and we should get rid of Welbeck to do this, but we need to focus elsewhere first

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 21:48
Summer targets for me would be
The return of Woj(Should NEVER have let him go for Cech)
Manolas
Max Meyer/ Julian Weigl
Mahrez/ Draxler
A back up RB

I'd be over the moon with that

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 22:39
Quote:
MattySadler
Counting injured Cazorla and Mavropanos I believe our current first team squad is down to 23 players. Whether Wenger leaves or not, realistically how many players do we need to be bringing in, in the summer?
Plan B striker?

All of above but another first choice right back.
All need to be top class players.
Would cost us millions.
Can't see it happening.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

younghansolo (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 12:06
On current transfer trend I suspect we will likely be selling two players to buy one "better quality star"

So I can definitely see us selling two or three defenders to buy Johnny Evans (unless they get relegated in which case he then only has a 3m release clause.

I think both goalkeepers could go and we sign one more.

I think Xhaka will be sold on to Europe as well as Elneny (although his versatility may see him stay.)

Bellerin will go so we will need a direct replacement.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 07:29
A lot of work to be done eh.

It appears Wenger doesn't have much faith in Chambers and Holding, which is pretty appalling considering they're the "youngsters" closest to the centre back position. Given Wenger's record with young players and defensive players I'm not exactly confident in his ability to bring through the likes of Mavropanos, Bielik and Sheaf.

He'd cost more than we'd be willing to spend but I'd love us to sign Ryan Sessegnon, could be perfect as an attacking left back. He's done a lot more at 17 than Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain had. He'd be well worth the investment.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 15:03
Quote:
younghansolo
I think Xhaka will be sold on to Europe as well as Elneny (although his versatility may see him stay.

Versatility? You mean that he's even s.hitter in defence than midfield?

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Goofle (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 16:46
GK, CB, LB, DM and winger.

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 20:16
GK Cech declining very fast. I like Ospina but would wish for someone better
CB Have been asking for an imposing CB for ages
RB Bellerin is quite mediocre.
DM Imposing player. We need some recovery in the midfield.

Out:
Xhaka-Not good enough and not needed as a sub
Elneny: Maybe he can move to the Saudi Arabian league or China
Kolasinac: Can't see a spot for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2018 20:19 by SA-Gunner.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 01:09
YES - buy Nick Pope

NO - Like to give Bielik, Holding and the Greek boy a chance.

YES - this is first priority for our DEFENCE.

NO - Maitland-Niles and Chambers as back-up or play Back-3.

YES - get Max Meyer and let Maitland-Niles, Ben Sheaf and Joe Willock to fight it out.

NO - we are over-stocked with Ozil, Mkhi, Wilshere, Ramsey and youngsters like Nelson, Nwakali,

YES - that will be Max Meyer or that PSG young Frenchman, forgot his name.

NO - youngster like Nelson is waiting in the wing and will not extend his contract. Iwobi is a decent squad player.

Plan B striker?
NO - we have Mavididi and Eddie waiting to step up.

"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is a success.”
Henry Ford

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 10:23
So your transfer window would be Nick Pope, a left back and either Meyer or Rabiot, Merl?

When you call Mavropanos "the Greek boy" and I read your transfer plans, which notably features the word "NO" quite a lot, I genuinely start to wonder if you really are Wenger...

grayfox1 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 10:56
Quote:
MattySadler
When you call Mavropanos "the Greek boy" and I read your transfer plans, which notably features the word "NO" quite a lot, I genuinely start to wonder if you really are Wenger...

Lol my exact toughts seeing all those youngsters waiting to step up on Merlions transfer checklist

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 11:06
To be fair I'm the worst for wanting to put faith in youngsters, or best, depending on how you look at it.

De Times (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 15:39
Quote:
Goofle
Replace LB with RB and you're spot on.

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 16:09
So you're saying even with Monreal turning 32, Kolasinac not exactly impressing and no obvious left backs close to breaking through, we don't need a new one?

litmus (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 04:42
Quote:
MattySadler
So you're saying even with Monreal turning 32, Kolasinac not exactly impressing and no obvious left backs close to breaking through, we don't need a new one?

We have that Bramall guy on our books though who is about the same age. But from the reports I read there are serious doubts if he will make a successful transition from non-league to premier league standard. He is even struggling to get game time on loan at Brum in the Championship. Unless he improves drastically, it looks like he'll make it.

I like us to get Celtic's Kieran Tierney for the long term but according to reports Man U seems hell bent on getting him. The thing is he is unlikely to come over unless he is first choice. Even at 20, he is considered one of their best players, and years ahead in his development. This guy is a beast of a left back although he is not big, has great speed and more importantly great acceleration and strength to get away from defenders when he is overlapping. His drives from inside his own box over to opponents box in a matter of seconds with his powerful drives are a sight to behold.

Haven't seen much of Sessegnon, although he might have a higher chance of getting him than Tierney as he's much younger and he is from London. Being second or even 3rd choice at Arsenal next season may well suit his development. I like Tierney the most though.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 06:15
Quote:
Goofle
My order of preference for those signings DM-CB-LB-Winger-GK since we rarely sign first choices in so many positions in one window

MattySadler (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 07:50
Quote:
litmus
Quote:
MattySadler

We have that Bramall guy on our books though who is about the same age. But from the reports I read there are serious doubts if he will make a successful transition from non-league to premier league standard. He is even struggling to get game time on loan at Brum in the Championship. Unless he improves drastically, it looks like he'll make it.

I like us to get Celtic's Kieran Tierney for the long term but according to reports Man U seems hell bent on getting him. The thing is he is unlikely to come over unless he is first choice. Even at 20, he is considered one of their best players, and years ahead in his development. This guy is a beast of a left back although he is not big, has great speed and more importantly great acceleration and strength to get away from defenders when he is overlapping. His drives from inside his own box over to opponents box in a matter of seconds with his powerful drives are a sight to behold.

Haven't seen much of Sessegnon, although he might have a higher chance of getting him than Tierney as he's much younger and he is from London. Being second or even 3rd choice at Arsenal next season may well suit his development. I like Tierney the most though.

I've tried my best not to write him off as it would be a wonderful story, but whenever I saw Bramall for the U23s last season I wasn't impressed, particularly defensively, and last summer in pre-season I thought he was pretty underwhelming, just fast. He's not played much for Birmingham at all until recently so I'm not too confident.

I think Sessegnon would be great but realistically he is going to cost £25m+ and I can't see us paying that. Tierney would probably be a more realistic option.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 09:50
Quote:
MattySadler
So your transfer window would be Nick Pope, a left back and either Meyer or Rabiot, Merl?

Matty, how senior players will be willing to sit on the bench like Debuchy, Walcott, Giroud and Ramsey or Wilshere?

Before we buy, we need to sell to trim the squad to 25 players.
How many will we sell in teh summer?
How many youths will be promoted as sqaud players ... or get frustrated like Chris Willock and McGuane and leave?

Will Ramsey sign-on or leave as he doesn't feel love by Arsenal fans?
Will Wilshere leave for Liverpool or elsewhere to improve himself like OX or Walcott?

Sell both Chambers and Holding to buy another 50-mil plus expereienced CB?

1 - Ospina
2 - Cech
3 - Macey
4 - new GK

5 - Koscielny
6 - Mustafi
7 - Monreal
8 - Kolasinac
9 - Bellerin
10- Chambers
11- Holding
12- Bielik
13- Mavropanos
14- NEW DEFENDER

15- Ozil
16- Mkhitaryan
17- Wilshere
18- Ramsey
19- Elneny
20- Xhaka
21- Maitland-Niles
22- Joe Willock
23- Reiss Nelson
24- Nwakali?
25- NEW MDIFIELDER

26- Lacazette
27- Aubameyang
28- Welbeck
29- Eddie Nketiah
30- Mavididi?
31- NEW FORWARD/WINGER?

Henry Ford

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net