football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Lacazette
Shane (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 15:11
I reckon he might come into his own a bit more now.

Not only does he have a point to prove - a big one - but he can go about trying to prove it with less pressure than before, because the spotlight has shifted from him to Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan.

There was and still is big pressure on him because of the fact he was our most expensive signing of all time, but I think the fact that he was our only expense last summer can't have helped him either.

I mean, if two or three players come in for big money then at least attention might get deflected away from him if they didn't perform, but nobody cares if Kolasinac is sh*t because he was free so Lacazette is kind of alone in his struggles and it can't have been easy for the duke.

Then again, you could flip it and say, 'Well there's even more pressure on him now because we've just sold three goalscorers' but I think the signing of Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan override this. Sadly, Lacazette is at a point where people don't expect much from him anymore and hopefully that's his rock bottom.

Re: Lacazette
Jonny Bravo (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 16:19
Firstly the price is irrelevant, the £50m+ price tag is merely down to transfer inflation. We could have got him for around £40m the season before, and around £20m the season before that.

Whether he will come into his own will solely depend on whether he is played or not.
Whichever way you look at it the arrival of Aubameyang is clearly a demotion for Lacazette, he is no longer our first choice striker in the EPL at least.

He may end up playing wide or in one of the two behind the striker depending on our formation. He clearly has something to offer in terms of goals, build up play and stretching defenses, just depends now where his head is at after the new arrivals and whether he will get the opportunities to improve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 16:19 by Jonny Bravo.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 22:54
To get the best out of him we have to create and give him the ball.
Something we lack in.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 02:24
To get the best out of anyone, we need to ditch crab football. Now that we have two players who can pass in the final third, one of them has to play deeper to get the ball out early. Ozil probably will be the guy as mkhi can score off either foot and so can aubemeyang.
We never really replaced cazorla but ozil /ramsey /wilshere have to do that.

Ramsey would be ideal as he can win the ball and quickly catch the opponent in transition but sadly he doesn't seem to defend anymore

tigerline (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 11:48
Quote:
CazOnARola
To get the best out of anyone, we need to ditch crab football. Now that we have two players who can pass in the final third, one of them has to play deeper to get the ball out early. Ozil probably will be the guy as mkhi can score off either foot and so can aubemeyang.
We never really replaced cazorla but ozil /ramsey /wilshere have to do that.

Ramsey would be ideal as he can win the ball and quickly catch the opponent in transition but sadly he doesn't seem to defend anymore

After Walcott, Ramsey is a clear example of a player whose career has been ruined by wenger's failure to instill discipline in the player's game. Ramsey's selfish goal-chasing has been ignored by wenger and has diminished Ramsey's career development as a result.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 11:56
Agree with Bravo and Can, I can very much see a situation where he just doesn't get the game time to make the impact. There's a very real danger he could become another Perez.

I like what I've seen of him but what concerns me is his conversion ratio is very low for us currently.

I would love to see us revert to playing two strikers but Wenger will never do that.

SandyB (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 14:18
Quote:
younghansolo
Agree with Bravo and Can, I can very much see a situation where he just doesn't get the game time to make the impact. There's a very real danger he could become another Perez.
I like what I've seen of him but what concerns me is his conversion ratio is very low for us currently.

I would love to see us revert to playing two strikers but Wenger will never do that.
Agree, back to Barca style 4-4-2 would be a good way to go with the players currently he has.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 15:39
4-4-2 is a good formation but in the current day and age you need two defensively solid CMs. If we play with ramsey and elneny, our most defensively pairing, u end up playing ozil and mkhi on the wings.

I think we have no option but to play 4-3-3 with elneny slotting in to become CB when needed.

It sadly meanz the end of lacazette.

Bellerin.... Kos..... Mustafi....... Monreal
..................... Elneny...............................
........... Wilshere.......... Ramsey.....................
Ozil.............. Aubemeyang............ Mkhitaryan

That will be lineup eventually. Lacazette will fill in for Mkhitaryan /ozil depending on injury.

I hope he drops his obsession with xhaka and posts wilshere. We had pbms about jack and aaron defensively but anythings defensively better than xhaka on the pitch

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 15:40
Wenger will def play aubemeyang on the left for his pace in some games ahead of Mkhitaryan

MattySadler (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 07:19
Wenger offered Lacazette no assurances in the press following Aubameyang's signing. Personally I think Lacazette will be off.

grayfox1 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 10:28
Quote:
Boston Gooner
To get the best out of him we have to create and give him the ball.
Something we lack in.

Exactly. When for example our wide players are in the box they either pass it to no one or backwards or to someone in front of the box when their first pick and thought should be where is Laca?! That guy had best conversion ratio in France he didn't forgot how to shoot. He is just more dependant from the others and we are just bad at setting him up.

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 23:08
He was never going to become world-class just from switching leagues. Keep in mind this is the player who has been behind Griezmann, M'Bappé, Giroud, Gignac, and even Gameiro in Deschamps' pecking order for France these last 2 or 3 seasons.

Speaking of which, at this point, Laca can definitely kiss the WC good-bye, esp. when France also have to fit in the likes of Martial, Dembélé and Coman in their line-up of forwards.

Shane (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 15:28
Ruled out for six weeks.

djarse (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 15:33
Here is the BBC report: [www.bbc.co.uk]

MattySadler (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:23
There's a surprise...

SandyB (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 18:42
Now suddenly strikerless in Europa. Dang!

Bergmars (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 22:28
There's something amiss with mons Lacazette.

A shadow of what we were

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 02:25
Dat guy Welbz it is then. We also have nketiah smiling smiley

Bergmars (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 09:22
What a @#$%& shambles

A shadow of what we were

Jonny Bravo (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 13:14
Wenger seemed to be eluding in the interview with his official broadcaster beIn sports that Lacazette might have been carrying this knee twang for a while.
If that is the case, and it was known he was playing with this, it makes the sale of Giroud move from the realms of ridiculousness to that of gross negligence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2018 13:16 by Jonny Bravo.

Shane (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 18:25
I'm as sad about Giroud as anyone, but it was literally a case of Giroud or Aubameyang.

kudzif01 (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 19:06
Quote:
Jonny Bravo
Wenger seemed to be eluding in the interview with his official broadcaster beIn sports that Lacazette might have been carrying this knee twang for a while.
If that is the case, and it was known he was playing with this, it makes the sale of Giroud move from the realms of ridiculousness to that of gross negligence.

I don't like Wenger , but the knee might have seemed minor during the transfer window so selling Giroud would not have seemed ridiculous.

The club cannot and should not keep every player :especially fringe players that have market value.The club has to raise funds to buy other players in areas where we are deficient. There is nothing wrong in team turnover in a club.

SandyB (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 22:07
Quote:
Shane
I'm as sad about Giroud as anyone, but it was literally a case of Giroud or Aubameyang.
I expected you to fu.ck off with Giroud to Chelsea n take Flava with you n drop him to spuds tent on the way but you didn't (Sm164)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net