football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Mavropanos
CazOnARola (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 06:12
In videos looks worse than chambers. Lacks pace and seems to live driving in. Several challenges like xhaka when he goes in with both feet.

I could be wrong about other things but he is definitely slower than kos and muatafi sick doesn't work at this level, he looked almost chambers level slow or slower.

Also saw a ridiculous attempt at pushing using his head with a forward breaking down his neck and gave the ball away only to five in and recover.

Not impressed at all at the moment. Gabriel looked better than this to me on YouTube,

Re: Mavropanos
MattySadler (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 07:48
I got the complete opposite impression from the U23 game on Monday. Time will tell...

Flava (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 09:09
Quote:
MattySadler
I got the complete opposite impression from the U23 game on Monday. Time will tell...

Bergmars (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 09:25
Wengers track record with defenders does not inspire confidence

A shadow of what we were

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 10:35
He goes in very hard on the challenges.. It doesn't work in the premier league let alone europe where they will immediately yellow card you for going in with two feet even if they are grounded. Some of his tables reminded me of xhaka when he tries to do defend

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 12:46
If Wenger thinks Mavropanos is good, I'll believe it when I see it in an EPL game. Wenger track record on defenders is spotty considering he rated Cygan, Silvestre, Traore, Sendoros, Jenkinson and Gabriel. I think cost is one of his primary decision driver.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2018 12:54 by mapleleafgooner.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 19:02
The general consensus was that he did extremely well for the u23.

De Times (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 17:46
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
If Wenger thinks Mavropanos is good, I'll believe it when I see it in an EPL game. Wenger track record on defenders is spotty considering he rated Cygan, Silvestre, Traore, Sendoros, Jenkinson and Gabriel. I think cost is one of his primary decision driver.
These few players in 22 years or 44 transfer windows? Campbell, Toure, Cole, Lauren, Gallas, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Mustafi, Bellerin, Kolasinac, Monreal, Clichy, Sagna, Silvinho, Van Bronkhorst, Varmaelen... Not mentioning the other great defenders he helped transform. Please name any other coach who has done better than Wenger on defensive signings, place their good signings side by side with their poor signings and the amount spent then come back to tell me who is better.

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 19:50
Quote:
De Times
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
These few players in 22 years or 44 transfer windows? Campbell, Toure, Cole, Lauren, Gallas, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Mustafi, Bellerin, Kolasinac, Monreal, Clichy, Sagna, Silvinho, Van Bronkhorst, Varmaelen... Not mentioning the other great defenders he helped transform. Please name any other coach who has done better than Wenger on defensive signings, place their good signings side by side with their poor signings and the amount spent then come back to tell me who is better.

What nonsense are u spewing now? Wenger is great in getting his team to play Wengerball but he knows nuts about defending. The best defensive record by an Arsenal team was set during the 2006 CL season and it was thanks to the coaching by Martin Keown. Not your idol. And Keown did it with underachieving Sendoros with Flamini as a left back. What are u going to do when your idol resigns at the end of this season?

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 23:01
It doesn't matter how much Wenger drags the club down the toilet, he's never resigning and will never be sacked either.

He's like an unflushable turd.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 04:58
Sol Campbell was convinced by Dein to join us.

If it was left to Wenger, it would ended up like Xabi Alonso or Suarez or many others that Wenger walked away from Sol Campbell deal because of their salary demands or greedy agents.

His other hits?
#1 - Converting and persuading Lauren he is better as LB rather as a midfielder.

#2 - Converting Kolo Toure from midfielder to CB as a replacement for Keown; certainly it is a budget solution as Wenger than had no funds to buy another "Sol Campbell".

#3 - Discovered Clichy.

#4 - Discovered Koscielny; turning an unknown into a regular France international.

#5 - Buying Mertesacker, who was at the tail-end of his career.

#6 - Converting Bellerin from winger into right wingback.

#7 - Paying 35-mil for Mustafi.

That is Wenger track record which is a pale shadow of what other great Liverpool managers and Alex Ferguson in scouting and buying great defenders that won them titles.

On the other hand, barring Sol Campbell, Arsene Wenger prefers buying youngsters and developing them hoping to unearth another "Campbell", another "Cole" and another "Lauren".

after Kolo Toure, Arsene Wenger has yet to develop ONE youngster to have a successful CB career like Kolo at Arsenal.

Hope is the last creature out of Pandora Box

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 05:14
Is not that he can't spot good defenders. It's the team setup. Most other defenders have good cover from their midfield. How do got explain Leicester keeping so many down sheets with robert huth. Kante and drink water are a big part of that.

We don't defend all as a team and our defenders are constantly one v one against strikers

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 14:06
Dunno.

After Sol Campbell - Kolo Toure, Wenger never got it right in his defensive setup.

Hope is the last creature out of Pandora Box

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 22:23
Sagna Kos bellerin monreal coquelin are all good defensively

MattySadler (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 08:07
Did very well again last night for the U23s vs. Everton apparently.

Won 4-0, Nketiah scored a hat trick and Joe Willock got a hat trick of assists, mirroring the first team! Nelson scored the other.

djarse (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 16:38
Just watched the highlights on arsenal.com

Pretty impressive from Nketiah, Willock & Nelson -

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 17:05
Couldn't get to see much in the highlights except for that searching ball to the left.

Holding was able to carry the ball almost to the middle circle oasis evertons half in his own a few times in the highlights so not sure what to make of the performance

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net