football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Coqless
MattySadler (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 22:46
So Wenger has confirmed in his post match interview tonight that Coquelin has signed for Valencia. A little out of the blue really but Xhaka has been@#$%&this season and Coquelin still hasn't been able to get in, which I think says it all. The fee is rumoured to be between £10 and 12 million, which for a player with more than three years left on his contract I think is pretty crappy business yet again.

I don't think anyone can deny that Coquelin has been a bit of a mixed bag. He was my highlight of 2014-15, the way he came back from a loan spell to Charlton and revitalised our struggling midfield, often doing all the defensive work on his own, but he's never looked the same player without Cazorla alongside him. That performance in our win at Man City in 14-15 was fantastic, but then he also had a horror show against Bayern Munich last season, and the way he bounced off Eden Hazard was a massive source of embarrassment.

Wenger says that the best way to replace Coquelin will be to get Ramsey and Ozil back, which, typically, means we won't be signing a midfielder this window. I did expect Wenger to make space in the squad for Maitland-Niles eventually, but I'd have got rid of Elneny before Coquelin, personally.

Re: Coqless
Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 22:58
Good luck to Coquelin.
Price seems a little low in today's market.
But then again we generally seem to give players away compared to other clubs.

Wasn't the best player but I think we all no that we won't be replacing him with a better player.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

MattySadler (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 23:07
Yeah good luck to him. Always gave his all. Not cool that we're letting a first team player go midway through the season and not replacing him though, especially as the same will probably happen with Alexis as well...

hahanice (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 23:07
We finished 2nd to 4th with him as a starter. We've finished 5th and possibly worse this year with xhaka as a starter

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 23:09
Who needs him when we have Elneny.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

10 January, 2018 23:12
And just how long does Wenger think ozil is staying ?

MattySadler (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 23:16
Also seems a bit of a gamble now that Wilshere is out injured as well.

10 January, 2018 23:35
Quote:
MattySadler
Also seems a bit of a gamble now that Wilshere is out injured as well.

Think everyone bar Wenger knows Jack is always going to be out injured.
Amazed he has lasted till now.

10 January, 2018 23:41
Initial reports suggested the Gunners would be receiving around £10-12 million for the French midfielder, who has spent the past week in talks with the Spanish side.

But it has now been stated that Arsenal could in fact land up to €25 million (£22m) for the Frenchman.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 00:45
I don’t think it’s thatbadbusoness tbh. He’s not a full international, not a regular and doesn’t play in the champions league.

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 00:47
The only midfielder in our team that could tackle and defend is now gone. FFS!

Also yes Coquelin was s.hit last season but then again Wenger did try to covert him into a box-to-box player for some reason which did not help Coquelin at all.

P.S. Xhaka is s.hit and also absolutely useless not only in out system but also for the EPL.

Wenger's defence has been s.hit for 10+ years but for the last few years his midfield has gone from bad to worse.

Our attack has now started to decline too.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

younghansolo (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 03:24
It’s now being reported the few could actually be closer to 22m which is a great deal for us and an absurd amount of money for a non international squad player in my opinion.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 06:27
Well £22miil is more like it

MattySadler (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 07:43
Most appearances for Arsenal, 160, under Wenger without scoring.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 08:09
The only player who can actually intercept the ball and tackle well.
When he was first back i think he was averaging 2-3 interceptions per game or so which was better than both matic and fernandinho and some other guy i dont remember that season.

Against good teams, you cannot score goals in open play without luck.

Most goals are scored by ball being won back in midfield and catching the opposition out of shape in transitions.

The reason we struggle to score goals is our defensive abilitiea as a team and not just the offense.

Without ramsey (who isnt doing as much as he used to), we dont have anyone that will win the ball back and give quickly to the likes of ozil.

If kos/cech have to win possession back everytime the opposition have the ball, and then defenders have to pass it amongst themselves and bring the ball out, allowing the opposition to main tain their shape, its @#$%& hars to create any chances.

This is story of the past 24 months since xhaka started playing for us

djarse (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 15:13
Now confirmed on @#$%& website: [www.arsenal.com]

Not as good as he was, obviously, as a midfield foil for Cazorla but still one of our few genuine "tacklers".......

PKGooner (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 16:01
He was rubbish.

Need to ship more dross out, starting with Welbeck and Iwobi.

Ideally the manager needs to go first though.

SandyB (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 16:19
Quote:
PKGooner
He was rubbish.
Agreed, nothing to really discuss much about this. Bye Felisha...

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 03:00
Maitland-Niles is Coq*s replacement. No need to spend when u have Wenger*s internal solution.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 07:18
I'm starting to question MN application levels. Been skinned defensively a few times in the games as a LB purely because of conc levels.

He has the ability to play at DM for a team like ours, but hasn't shown the conc levels of a DM for a top 10 team yet

MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 15:31
Quote:
CazOnARola
I'm starting to question MN application levels. Been skinned defensively a few times in the games as a LB purely because of conc levels.
He has the ability to play at DM for a team like ours, but hasn't shown the conc levels of a DM for a top 10 team yet

Not exactly uncommon for a young player though, right? Particularly one who is relatively new to defensive positions.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 18:28
Yeah but I have seen too many promising players becoming disinterested in hard work and regressing.

E. G. Iwobi, wilshere (anybody thsts serious about their careers doesn't put on so much weight), chamberlain, chambers.

All of them started brightly but they either never had the hunger to go beyond a level like most English boys or wenger screwed them up

MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 19:24
Its always looked to me that Wenger's whole approach to player development is too relaxed. I think he really believes in his players too much, and wants their natural ability and talent to speak for itself, and develop without too much interference. I think this is why we've seen Coquelin, Bellerin and Iwobi break through in recent years and then seen little to no improvement, plus the examples you used. He tries too much to treat his players like adults, which isn't going to work for every player. Many footballers are notoriously immature.

Just speculating really but that's how I see things.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 23:56
Quote:
MattySadler
Its always looked to me that Wenger's whole approach to player development is too relaxed. I think he really believes in his players too much, and wants their natural ability and talent to speak for itself, and develop without too much interference. I think this is why we've seen Coquelin, Bellerin and Iwobi break through in recent years and then seen little to no improvement, plus the examples you used. He tries too much to treat his players like adults, which isn't going to work for every player. Many footballers are notoriously immature.
Yep i think if you are self driven, wenger will get the best out of you by letting you express yourself (unless you are joel campbell or lucas then he will just cast you aside).
But if you are going to start enjoying life thinking "yeah man i made it to the first team, this is enough, it's time to enjoy life of a professional footballer" then wenger doesn't seem to be able to give a kick up the back side

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 01:44
Quote:
MattySadler

Exactly my thoughts about how Wenger 'train' his players. I think Ox left for that reason primarily.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 01:57
Ox just left cause he doesn't want to become a right wing back /eventually maybe a RB. Same reason he didnt go to Chelsea. Same reason ramsey doesn't defend as much now /doesn't wanna play as a DM.

Defenders seldom get mega deals /tv ads/ stardom/limelight.

Nobody wants to get the not so glamorous job unless that's what you 've been doing all your life / you can't do anything else.

For some people its also a self image of who they see themselves as. They would rather be a backup center midfielder at liverpool than go to win titles at chelsea as a right wing back.

Even if klopp doesn't make him a better player, he will at least play him in a forward role, that was his hope.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net