football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Alexis
MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 08:05
Apparently we have been in negotiations with Man City since Friday over a move for Alexis. We are said to want £35m but City want to pay closer to £20m, but the likes of Sky Sports, Goal, etc, think a deal is close to being agreed.

So there we have it. As unlikely as it was anyway, Wenger's last chance of winning a major trophy was by building a team around Ozil and Alexis, but he failed to build a great squad around them. You can't expect to win big with Giroud up front and no alternatives, or with Flamini/ a crippled Arteta in midfield, or with Mertesacker at centre back, just because you've got Ozil and Alexis in the team.

We had the makings of a good squad with some quality players and a number of younger players coming up, but the lack of a proactive transfer strategy, a lack of quality coaching and a lack of tactical awareness blew it. 2015-16 when we signed Cech and no outfielders was the final straw for me as far as Wenger is concerned, and I imagine it was the final straw for Alexis as well.

I used to think "at least Wenger will leave us in a better state than Fergie left United" but I was wrong. It is going to be much, much worse.

Re: Alexis
MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 08:34
Just to clarify, I think Alexis is far from perfect as a footballer and I think he's a pretty selfish, strange person as well, but he is a winner.

More rumours, apparently Ramsey and Welbeck have turned down the first contract offers we've made.

Ichigo (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 10:17
Welbeck should be sold. Why are we offering him a new contact to such a limited playe? If Alexis leaves will we replace him or just play Iwobi and drop down to 10th in the league?

MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 11:03
Can't see any players even half as good as Alexis wanting to join us at this point

Trent2000 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 13:58
We need to cut bait with most of these players and bring in a new manager with his new players.

If Wenger wants Arteta to be the new manager, lets get it started next season and we know where we stand.

We will struggle for the next few years, but better than this crap.

We could build a team around Ozil, Ramsey and Jack if they sign, if not we bring in the youngsters and live with it.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 14:46
I reckon it could be a barren four or five years ahead and that's if things change now

A shadow of what we were

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 16:13
I hear there's a bargain bin at Barcelona with the likes of Arda Turan, who hasn't played a minute in 2 years or Vermaelen, who just completed as many games in a month as he had in the previous 3 seasons since we sold him...

WOuldn't it be like Wenger to sign those kinds of players?

Anyway, I think Wenger will be gone this summer and therefore won't be given any funds to spend in this window.

SandyB (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 16:44
Quote:
SaltnPeppah
I hear there's a bargain bin at Barcelona with the likes of Arda Turan, who hasn't played a minute in 2 years or Vermaelen, who just completed as many games in a month as he had in the previous 3 seasons since we sold him...
WOuldn't it be like Wenger to sign those kinds of players?

Anyway, I think Wenger will be gone this summer and therefore won't be given any funds to spend in this window.
You might be correct on funds but definitely incorrect on Wenger's future end of season, Captain elsewhere!! (Sm100)

MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 17:04
Now reports Coquelin could be off to West Ham for £10m.

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 17:23
The club needs to melt away before it can reborn as a top team.

New funds shouldn't be given to Wenger. Show him the door come May. Bring someone with hunger for glory, or at least hunger for competing. Wenger doesn't bother anymore to at least stand up and yell during the matches. Only thing he does is remain there, sitting down and looking at the field as if he was braindead.

SandyB (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 17:34
Quote:
SA-Gunner
The club needs to melt away before it can reborn as a top team.
New funds shouldn't be given to Wenger. Show him the door come May. Bring someone with hunger for glory, or at least hunger for competing. Wenger doesn't bother anymore to at least stand up and yell during the matches. Only thing he does is remain there, sitting down and looking at the field as if he was braindead.

He whines a lot after the game, it's now main feature post match.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 18:23
This things don't matter. He does shout, throw bottels, complain to 4th officials.
I don't question whether he still had the desire to win and hates losing. He might, but he certainly didn't have the ability to coach and thsts where the buck stops

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 21:46
Quote:
MattySadler
Now reports Coquelin could be off to West Ham for £10m.

This evening, a story from Spain says that Valencia are interested in the midfielder, and have been in negotiations with Arsenal for a number of weeks about a possible transfer.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Flava (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 21:48
Sell every f.uckrr! Sell em all!

08 January, 2018 22:21
Quote:
Flava
Sell every f.uckrr! Sell em all!

Think we would have to give most of them away.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 06:49
Coquelin was the only out and out ball winner in the side. So maybe he is going to promote joe willock who is not ready to come on as a sub in PL game while coquelin will be fine starting if need be

litmus (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 07:30
yes, why don't we freakin play Joe Willock, Reiss Nelson, Iwobi, Holding, Chambers and Nketiah, recall Bielik from loan and play them all from now on. Yes, go ahead Wenger, we know thats what you would love to do. The joy and smiles on the young kids faces will sooth your soul and makes you sleep with a smile, no matter if we get trashed by Stoke 10-0 at home.

I am pretty sure Wenger wants to win, but unlike other top manager who is under pressure to win and will pressure the board to buy top class to compete, Wenger wants to win on his own terms, with his "kids". Winning is important to him yes, but not over "building a team for the future". Bringing in a top player would solve many of the team's problems, but to him it would be too easy to (in his own words) "throw money at the problem", he wants to solve the team's problems and shortcoming by putting in young players and let them become the answer even to the detriment of this great club.

Thing is, its not working. That why the shitty Iwobi plays more than Lacazette.

Lets rid of Alexis, much as he is our current best player, I think we all are sick of this neverending circus. the 30 mil would do fine too, in fact it would be a coup.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 07:43
Iwobi was seen out partying at 3am before the Forest game, apparently.

09 January, 2018 10:05
Arsenal have not received an approach for Alexis Sanchez this month, says Arsene Wenger.

Could be the usual bull.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 10:46
If we're only going to hey 20m offer him abroard for 15m just don't seem to city. That will be horrible to have to suffer

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 14:24
The power is on the players hand. If he doesn't agree terms with teams abroad we can't seem him to them. If he is hell bent on joining city, then nothing cab change that. He will just see out the last 6 months and go over with a hefty signing on bonus.

So we either sell to city and take the money or at least accept bids from the likes of psg and let them persuade sanchez.

Thsts our best chance, a bidding war.

I would say sell sanchez, recover losses. Don't let wenger sign any replacements. He will step away himself hopefully, if not fire him and pay him the 8mn as compensation and move on

MattySadler (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 17:11
Apparently we're set to bid for Alexis's replacement Cristian Pavon, a 5ft 6, 21 year old Argentinian forward/ winger.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 17:51
Great

A shadow of what we were

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 18:39
Quote:
MattySadler
Apparently we're set to bid for Alexis's replacement Cristian Pavon, a 5ft 6, 21 year old Argentinian forward/ winger.
Thsts fine. I ruptured think wenger spending like he did on xhaka or mustafi or Chambers helps us.

Let him carry on with the youth project and then move on

09 January, 2018 21:57
Quote:
MattySadler

And if he turns out shite Wenger can blame Sven now. (Sm22)

SandyB (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 22:29
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
MattySadler

And if he turns out shite Wenger can blame Sven now. (Sm22)

Apparently he won't come that cheap too..

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 00:01
LOL someone's having fun on wikipedia.

Arsenal

In January of 2018 Pavon signed for Arsenal. He banged in bare goals and everyone forgot about the snake known as Alexis.
==Arsenal

In January 2018 Pavon refused to sign for Arsenal, stating that he had ambition.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Flava (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 06:58
We're saved, apparently he's the new Aguero but doesn't score any goals

Bergmars (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 07:40
Repeat great

A shadow of what we were

MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 18:05
If we sell Alexis and Walcott this window, which is a definite possibility, we're losing a lot of goals. Surely we have to bring someone in?

Flava (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 18:17
Yes Matty, Marc Albrighton incoming

MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 18:22
Sorted.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 00:00
Theo isn't scoring anywhere except maybe his bedroom.

Alexis doesn't want to play for us, but he still manages to get opposition defenders double team him.

I had read somewhere giroud is also looking for a nice to play before the WC.

I don't mind losing theo. We just need enough fire power to try to win europa.

There's nothing else left to do this season

MattySadler (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 16:01
Good news lads Wenger says Alexis's future will be sorted in the next 48 hours!

Bergmars (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 16:07
I couldn't give a @#$%& about Sanchez future it's Wengers Im interested in especially if its somewhere else.

A shadow of what we were

MattySadler (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 21:09
Latest rumours from today:

Apparently the cash + player deal with Man United is on, but Mkhitaryan was unimpressed by our wage offer (lol).

City had pulled out of the deal.

Chelsea have made a late bid.

15 January, 2018 22:15
Personally think Alexis wanted City move.
We will probably end up with him till the summer. lol

SandyB (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 04:09
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Personally think Alexis wanted City move.
We will probably end up with him till the summer. lol
Agreed, as I said before.
Mourinho on Alexis

MattySadler (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 06:14
Yeah Alexis clearly wants City but guess it depends on whether he can stand playing for Wenger for another 6 months.

Flava (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 08:12
You wouldn't put it passed Mourinho to pull a Demba Ba on us, would you? Everything agreed and then pulls the plug on the deal.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 09:50
Quote:
MattySadler
Latest rumours from today:
Apparently the cash + player deal with Man United is on, but Mkhitaryan was unimpressed by our wage offer (lol).

City had pulled out of the deal.

Chelsea have made a late bid.
This is another area that mistakes are never heeded just repeated we cannot do a straightforward transfer we have to pi$$ everyone off.The club's a cesspit of mismanagment and arrogance I despair.

A shadow of what we were

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 10:21
They have been @#$%& off fans for a long time. This time it would be right to @#$%& of fans then sign other team rejects like turan, Mkhitaryan, pedro etc

MattySadler (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 16:17
According to Sky if we agree terms with Mkhitaryan, it will be a straight swap for Alexis with no cash.

I'm already in two minds about Mkhitaryan. He was amazing at Dortmund but he's had a pretty rotten 18 months since then, plus he is 28 and we already have the oldest squad of the "big 6".

Not happy at getting a player deemed not good enough for Man United on huge wages and absolutely no transfer fee, for our best player, but I guess that is the level we're at now...

djarse (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 16:22
Tend to agree with you Matty, but he did combine really well with Aubemayang previously at Dortmund - perhaps if we got both, they might work well for us too.....

MattySadler (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 16:26
Maybe yeah. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, who could blame me!

I'm mostly concerned about his age, his/ our financial situation, and his levels of fitness.

I'm also concerned about our transfer strategy, or lack thereof.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 16:55
Thsts absurd. Player swap without cash is absurd. That too Mkhitaryan. I know GS was a big fan of him and wanted us to sign him, but he is the equivalent of yossi benayoun on loan

SandyB (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 17:12
Quote:
CazOnARola
Thsts absurd. Player swap without cash is absurd. That too Mkhitaryan. I know GS was a big fan of him and wanted us to sign him, but he is the equivalent of yossi benayoun on loan
Not absurd, Mkhitaryan has still a long contract left, why he'll come to Arsenal a sinking ship sacrificing his wage? Alexis Sanchez is technically not Arsenal player he could sign a pre-contract with City, United, Chelsea, PSG before the transfer window closes.

Mkhitaryan n Aubemayang will be some sort of divine help to save Wenger from being physically kicked out of the club by some toxic fan base, it might work might not. Baggers aren't choosers.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 20:12
I think every arsenal fan can see that if we sign mikhitarian and aubameyang, it isn't because we wanted them and went out and got them, it's because they were the best players available in this transfer window who would agree to come to us. I don't think anyone will be that excited about either player.

16 January, 2018 21:54
Quote:
MattySadler
Good news lads Wenger says Alexis's future will be sorted in the next 48 hours!

Remember we are Talking a Wenger 48 hrs.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 06:55
I know Wenger himself doesn't llearn from his mistakes, but I'm very much hoping that with all these new personnel we've bought in, we'll be changing the way we approach contract renewals.

As an example, after a brilliant 2014/15 debut season, surely we should've sat down with Alexis that summer and negotiated an extension and wage rise, rather than waiting and waiting until the final 6 months of his contract? Likewise, Ozil, the other half of our "world class duo", should've been sat down with at the same time.

Likewise, we went into the summer with Alexis, Ozil, Wilshere, Cazorla and Oxlade-Chamberlain all in the last 12 months of their contracts, and Ramsey, Giroud, Welbeck, Monreal, Cech, Ospina and Walcott are all out of contract at the end of next season. I don't know whether it is penny pinching or a misplaced belief in his player's loyalties to him, but it is an absolute mess, and I think its fair to say this is the risk you take when you let some arrogant old man dictate over everything.

Say what you want about Gazidis but at least he's recognised that there is something wrong with the way we do things. He seems to be about the only member of then non-playing staff who has. He's trying to take back some level of control.

Flava (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 06:59
He's the only member of non-playing staff under 90

Bergmars (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 08:00
What chance this will still be happening at five minutes to midnight on deadline day

A shadow of what we were

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 10:25
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
CazOnARola
Not absurd, Mkhitaryan has still a long contract left, why he'll come to Arsenal a sinking ship sacrificing his wage? Alexis Sanchez is technically not Arsenal player he could sign a pre-contract with City, United, Chelsea, PSG before the transfer window closes.

Mkhitaryan n Aubemayang will be some sort of divine help to save Wenger from being physically kicked out of the club by some toxic fan base, it might work might not. Baggers aren't choosers.

Sanchez is still here. Precisely for the point got started, if united wasn't to avoid the last minute dash and sign him now, they need to pay up.

Id rather take 15mn if that was all available and save it on the bank for another manager than give players to wenger to help him finish 5th or 6th.

Is better to take less money than sign players like Mkhitaryan

younghansolo (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 16:41
Benayoun was great for us

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 21:46
Quote:
younghansolo
Benayoun was great for us

Or not.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

MattySadler (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 21:05
Alexis for Mkhitaryan straight swap deal is complete apparently.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 21:52
Quote:
MattySadler

Utd must be laughing at us. I like Mkhitaryan but Sanchez is a 100 mil player in today's market!

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 23:59
Collectively speaking the team will be better without him. Someone like Cesc or Van Persie were part of the puzzle for the whole team in general to work like an engine.
Sanchez on the other hand, individually speaking was quite the capable player to make things happen but there was always a lack of synchronicity with him in the team.

I'm not really that excited about Mkhitaryan as he has had some torrid last 18 months, but maybe he will surprise positively. At least I hope so.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 00:01
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Quote:
MattySadler

Utd must be laughing at us. I like Mkhitaryan but Sanchez is a 100 mil player in today's market!

Possibly but he only has 5 months to go on contract, no one pays that for 5 months.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 00:04
Alexis isn't worth £100m because he is out of contract at the end of the season.

If Arsenal managed player contracts properly, then there's no way that a straight swap would be a fair deal, but as it is, it's probably about right. Simply because of the contract situation, clearly sanchez is a far superior player.

Agree that the team won't suffer as much without him as we did when we lost cesc or RVP.

SandyB (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 02:20
Quote:
SuperRob
Alexis isn't worth £100m because he is out of contract at the end of the season.
If Arsenal managed player contracts properly, then there's no way that a straight swap would be a fair deal, but as it is, it's probably about right. Simply because of the contract situation, clearly sanchez is a far superior player.

Agree that the team won't suffer as much without him as we did when we lost cesc or RVP.
Agree there is nothing much to suffer when the team is already in 6th place with or without him.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 03:44
We will still suffery of course cause we didn't take cash.

We have bought a player that we don't know what to do with.
Another player who is going to collect the ball and try and find runners around him.

How many of those do we need?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/01/2018 08:12 by CazOnARola.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 07:18
At the end of this month Alexis's value would have immediately dropped to £0.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 08:16
We were right to let go and wrong to not take the money 60mn even without a player just like liverpool did this window.

Supporters would have been furious but thsts the only way to get 60mn. City were offering 35mn at the start of the summer and valks always goes up at the end of the window.

The right thing to do in these circumstances is to sell just like with rvp.
We should sell Mkhitaryan and the summer and invest than in the DM he is just a barter commodity.

If you want a goal scoring nos 10, don't extend ozils contract and keep Mkhitaryan

MattySadler (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 21:11
Not sure how real this is aha looks like something off FIFA

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUF_ROLWsAICP2b.jpg:large

younghansolo (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 10:28
It's funny how much I instantly hated Sanchez when I saw him in that kit.

Also interesting that Wenger has suggested the move is all about money and even city couldn't justify his wages.

I hope this really notes united in the ass.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 17:53
Considering his agent, and city pulling out it is about the money and not just what sanchez gets. Overall considering "super agent" raiola, it was more about money than just trophies which i think he would have got more with city if he just insisted on lower wages.

Bayern munchen, city both were better options

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/01/2018 08:05 by CazOnARola.

De Times (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 17:58
What the phuck would he be doing with the trophy? The young man did what most people in the world would do.

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 06:10
Notice how much players posted on social media wishing Coquelin and Walcott farewell/ good luck, and there are none for Alexis.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 08:51
Quote:
De Times
What the phuck would he be doing with the trophy? The young man did what most people in the world would do.
I'm just saying it was not just for trophies like being claimed by many cause city have a much better squad to win things. Infact he would have won the title within 6 months.
Like most people in the world, he is looking for a good paycheck cause it is his last big one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2018 14:17 by CazOnARola.

Goofle (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 05:11
Never liked the guy. Good riddance.

25 January, 2018 22:58
Quote:
Goofle
Never liked the guy. Good riddance.

And he loves you.(Sm151)

Shane (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 10:05
I never really liked him either. Brilliant player, but he was a hired gun who did his job very well and I felt no more affection for him than a businessman does for some assassin he pays to do a job.

It doesn't sting anywhere near as much as it did with Van Persie, who might've been a hired gun in terms of goals, but he had a far greater rapport with Arsenal fans than Sanchez and that's why, for me, there was far greater bitterness when he joined Manchester United.

Sanchez will undoubtedly get booed, but I think for a lot of people it'll be because that's what you're meant to do, whereas with Van Persie his hostile reception stemmed from genuine sadness and disappointment toward him.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 10:19
Quote:
Shane
I never really liked him either. Brilliant player, but he was a hired gun who did his job very well and I felt no more affection for him than a businessman does for some assassin he pays to do a job.
It doesn't sting anywhere near as much as it did with Van Persie, who might've been a hired gun in terms of goals, but he had a far greater rapport with Arsenal fans than Sanchez and that's why, for me, there was far greater bitterness when he joined Manchester United.

Sanchez will undoubtedly get booed, but I think for a lot of people it'll be because that's what you're meant to do, whereas with Van Persie his hostile reception stemmed from genuine sadness and disappointment toward him.
Spot on with every point

Goofle (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 13:45
He's not even that good. And I would argue that overall he had a negative impact on what the team was capable of due to his play style. Completely imbalanced the deal with low work rate and propensity to give the ball away at a pretty astonishing rate.

Sure, he is a great goal scorer - but unless you're scoring 40+ every season, it's hard to forgive the negatives.

Also he just comes across like a c*nt, as if nobody liked him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net