football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

We laughed at John Stone and praised Rob Holding
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 22:12
Remember how we gloated and laughed at John Stone?
35-mil vs 2-mil and a waste of money?

fast forward to 2017/18 season.
John Stone is developing into a first-class CB under Guardiola.

Rob Holding retrogressed so badly that last season, Wenger claimed he rested Holding because he is mentally fragile.

Now?
Even he is struggling against a Championship side and look more and more like a League 1 player, never mind playing for sides like Norwich and Forest.

After 12 months, what a reversal of development under different manager and club.

'I like the total intensification, where there are crashes and bangs everywhere, pure adrenaline and no one being able to breathe' Jurgen Klopp.

Re: We laughed at John Stone and praised Rob Holding
Shane (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 22:48
The overreaction to Holding's performance has been on another level of ridiculousness.

He started against Man City in the semi-final and Chelsea in the final last season, and passed both tests with flying colours, so let's wait for a bit more evidence than a poor game at Nottingham Forest before throwing him to the wolves. He's 22.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 22:55
He was@#$%&and deserves all the criticism he gets like the rest of them.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 23:01
Lets be honest who'd care if all our defence just f ucked off in the summer?

I don't rate any of them bar Monreal.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 23:05
I never jumped on the "HAHAHAHAHAHA Holding only cost £2million and Stones cost £50million" bandwagon last season and I'm not going to start writing him off as sh*t after today.

He had a stinker today, as did the rest of them. Simple as that. He proved at the end of last season he can be a capable Premier League defender. I'm sure he'd do well under a better manager.

Shane (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 23:06
Quote:
Boston Gooner

He does deserve criticism because he's a grown man, but what he doesn't deserve is suggestions that he's finally been exposed as the League One player that he is.

From the video I saw, he got right close to the Arsenal fans to applaud them at full time - closer than any other player - and it takes a lot of bottle when you consider how sh*t he was. There's clearly a bit about him as a bloke and in time this courage will show up in his performances. Writing him off is brainless on another level.

There's been far more positives than negatives regarding Holding since he signed for the club.

07 January, 2018 23:11
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
Boston Gooner

He does deserve criticism because he's a grown man, but what he doesn't deserve is suggestions that he's finally been exposed as the League One player that he is.

From the video I saw, he got right close to the Arsenal fans to applaud them at full time - closer than any other player - and it takes a lot of bottle when you consider how sh*t he was. There's clearly a bit about him as a bloke and in time this courage will show up in his performances. Writing him off is brainless on another level.

There's been far more positives than negatives regarding Holding since he signed for the club.

You eduardo ? lol

SandyB (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 23:20
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
Boston Gooner

You eduardo ? lol
(Sm6) Eduardo’s brother from Ireland.
By the way,what’s League 1 player? French league 1??

Bergmars (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 15:24
[quote Shane]The overreaction to Holding's performance has been on another level of ridiculousness.

He started against Man City in the semi-final and Chelsea in the final last season, and passed both tests with flying colours, so let's wait for a bit more evidence than a poor game at Nottingham Forest before throwing him to the wolves. He's 22.[/quo
Don't think the Wolves would want him

Under new managment

hahanice (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 17:27
i dont blame holding at all. him and chambers were good the past 2 games, the goals conceded were the fault of mustafi and other people.

i dont blame him in this game because he was in a back 2 with Per... we were essentially playing a man down with him as our only CB.

play him with someone who should still be a professional athlete and then judge him

MattySadler (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 17:45
Quote:
hahanice
i dont blame him in this game because he was in a back 2 with Per... we were essentially playing a man down with him as our only CB.
play him with someone who should still be a professional athlete and then judge him

Spot on. Mertesacker wanted to retire at the end of last season and we should've allowed him to do so.

SandyB (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 17:56
Quote:
hahanice
i dont blame holding at all. him and chambers were good the past 2 games, the goals conceded were the fault of mustafi and other people.

Don't really agree with this unless I saw a different game. Mertesacker scored a goal n was way better than Holding in the game, the guy was out of position, slow n made mistakes few times. Same thing actually Mustafi was like head n shoulder above Chambers in every aspect in WBA game but people tend to find easy scapegoat. Both Chambers n Holding aren't good enough, you can blame coaches, blame manager for that but that's fact.

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 18:17
Fabio Cannavaro would struggle having Wenger as coach, let alone this 22 year old bloke.

Get a different manager, and then let's evaluate who shall continue

litmus (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 04:58
Holding is a reserve CB, and shows it. They will have good games and bad games. Maybe he needs to be loaned out and learn the dark art of defending. I see a lot of naive defending from him, and the rest of the team. If he is not good enough, he shouldn't play in the future.

Having said that, what is Steve Bould doing there?

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 13:21
Holding has the potential to be a top class defender. He just needs better defensive coaching which he will not get from Wenger.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 16:59
Yep he is not going to learn much being played in a team that doesn't conc on defending or running in general to offer passing options to ppl in our half before the opposition hunt them down

10 January, 2018 22:42
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Holding has the potential to be a top class defender. He just needs better defensive coaching which he will not get from Wenger.

To slow.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 03:26
Nobody should write him off, he’s shown real ability. However, one must question why he has had a number of very bad performances this year. Indeed he hasn’t had one very good one yet. What’s hanged? He looks short of confidence. I think it’s fair to question that. I’m not saying it’s the boy; in fact it’s more likely the training confusing him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net