football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Liverpool
MattySadler (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:53
Cech - 6. Kept us in the game at times but could've done better on Firmino's goal.

Bellerin - 6. Not great defensively but better going forward. Good cross for Alexis's goal.
Koscielny - 5. Proved again he's lost it.
Monreal - 5. Struggled with Liverpool's attack before going off.
Maitland-Niles - 7. Quality in possession and defended okay.

Xhaka - 5.5. Poor for the first hour or so but scored and improved after that.
Wilshere - 7. Struggled in the first half but tried. Got better as the game went on.

Iwobi - 5. Shows willing but the quality just isn't there at the moment.
Ozil - 7.5. Tried during a tough first half. Good second half. Goal was quality.
Alexis - 5.5. Loved his goal but thought he was crap. So poor in possession.

Lacazette - 6. Tried but offered little service. Great assist for Ozil's goal.

Subs:

Mustafi - 6. Tightened things up.
Welbeck - 5. Little impact again.
Walcott - N/A. Not on long.

An exciting game between two sides you can clearly see are miles off winning a title.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 28/12/2017 17:07 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Liverpool
CazOnARola (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:01
We looked lost in the final third. Don't let the 3 goals fool you. We tried to pass quickly to evade the press/bypass the first line of defense quick to get at the back four.

We need to practice doing this against snake teams before we try such quick tempp passing against a good team.
Overall both managers got their tactics and subs right.

Both sets of players performed below par, our players more so

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:04
Shout out to MNiles. Looks very calm in possession. Wenger says he is supposed to end up in the centre.

Keeps it simple, would prefer him as a DM than a LB. LWB would be the most suitable considering current level

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/12/2017 22:04 by CazOnARola.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:27
Somehow got a point.
Thought we was terrible from back to front.
And am not convinced like some about Maitland-Niles.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 01:38
Maitland-Niles is a new Gibbs. Just because he's not completely average that doesnt make him the new Marcelo. Doesn't offer anything going forward.

Ichigo (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 07:21
What we really need is a new manager with new ideas. We have been making the same mistakes for 17 years and still Wenger hasn't figured it out. That says it all.

But last night was like watching Wenger vs (a more aggressive) Wenger. I'm glad that we didn't go for Klopp. He makes the same mistakes as Wenger and does not have a clue on how to resolve those.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 07:22 by Ichigo.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 07:25
I don't think anyone is being too hasty with regards to Maitland-Niles. I gave him a 7/10, which is really the minimum level of performance we should be expecting from players. My big issue at the moment is he can't use his left foot and, surprisingly, this is a bit of a hindrance when trying to go forward playing on the left. What impressed me was his use of the football. There were plenty of situations where he could've lost his head in possession in tricky areas but every time he found a pass, often a good one and often splitting a couple of Liverpool players. When he is playing in one of his natural positions, such as central midfield, right wing and right back, that quality will stand him in good stead.

Quote:
but what impressed me was his use of the football.

Although, in saying this, that used to be what impressed me most about Iwobi when he first broke through, and in recent weeks we've seen no evidence of this quality.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 08:25
Koscielny and Monreal are on the slide, Mustafi has injury problems, Mertesacker was finished years ago and Chambers and Holding clearly aren't trusted at the moment. New centre backs needed.

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 14:52
Iwobi should have been dropped at least 8 weeks ago

MattySadler (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:15
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRvgIqBW0AAEET5.jpg:large

Sign...

Trent2000 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:16
I want to see MN in the center of the field, its sad to see him played out of position. Why not take Xhaka out and try him, cant do any worse and he seems strong enough and has such good recovery speed. Seeing Xhaka track back and then for some odd reason stop is shameful.

Iwobi is another Wenger project that he refuses to drop when out of form, it sucks when someone else can contribute so much more. Iwobi also crowds Ozil out and makes him drop to deep, so obvious in the first half yesterday.

litmus (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 17:46
Iwobi was crap. Ozil and AMN was good. Everyone else was so-so and had their good and bad moments.

Iwobi is the reason we won't buy a world class attacking player.

But I got one word for Wenger, all the players he was faithful to, not buying established world class players and curtail their development. What happened when they became top players? THEY ALL LEFT!! Cesc, Nasri, Ox, RvP - they all joined our rivals.

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 18:05
You can't put Ox in the same category as those other players, actually you can't put Nasri either.

Fabregas stayed 2 more years than planned. In his last season he was a shadow of his former self, I guess he lost all motivation when instead of buying someone like Luis Suarez or Dzeko, we went for.... Chamakh.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 19:23
We need a new back five a holding player and replacements for Ozil and Sanchez

A shadow of what we were

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 22:17
Quote:
Bergmars

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Ichigo (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 04:22
Quote:
Bergmars

No. Stan Korenke needs to quit the club and Wenger needs to retire. That's what we need.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 04:33
Quote:
Ichigo
Quote:
Bergmars

No. Stan Korenke needs to quit the club and Wenger needs to retire. That's what we need.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

DPGZ (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 08:38
I totally disagree. everyone likes to slate iwobi but tell me who is the better alternative? Walcott? or welbeck who has only come on to make us worse time and time again? yet he gets even higher than iwobi. Iwobi guarantees ball retention and our continued pass and move football. He also defends well but many bias fans like to slate his defending. i say watch him again. He is very skillful and can evade the press, and does not tumble like wilshere does.

I know he is very @#$%& in front of goal and i will hold the coaches responsible for this. They seem to just leave players to find their way.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 16:05
Quote:
DPGZ
I totally disagree. everyone likes to slate iwobi but tell me who is the better alternative? Walcott? or welbeck who has only come on to make us worse time and time again? yet he gets even higher than iwobi. Iwobi guarantees ball retention and our continued pass and move football. He also defends well but many bias fans like to slate his defending. i say watch him again. He is very skillful and can evade the press, and does not tumble like wilshere does.
I know he is very @#$%& in front of goal and i will hold the coaches responsible for this. They seem to just leave players to find their way.
Every single point is spot on about iwobi s ability. We don't really have alternatives. Welbeck isn't great on possession or in front of goal either.

I'm guessing we will continue 4-3-3 when ramsey comes back and he will start on the wings.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 18:43
I like Iwobi a lot, I just want more end product from him. He could be a massive player if he sorts that.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 19:01
Quote:
MattySadler
I like Iwobi a lot, I just want more end product from him. He could be a massive player if he sorts that.
his first touch is a big part of that. His for most of our players. Their first touch is either bad or it stops the ball dead. It doesn't give them any advantage like taking it to the opposite side of the market but still light enough to be in control. Same goes for passes. They are either slightly under weight or over weightes or slightly away so that the receiver has to adjust slightly either behind or forward.
These little things prevent a clear goal scoring opportunity. These goes for most members of our squad. These things can't be taught now.

Only thing he can do is improve his shooting massively like gareth bale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/12/2017 19:02 by CazOnARola.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 07:30
Shooting technique definitely needs to improve though. His shots are often either weak and straight at the keeper or mishit.

His goal against Watford last year was really well taken - proves he has it in his locker.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 16:40
Wenger can make the best players average

A shadow of what we were

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net