football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Man United
MattySadler (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 19:40
Cech - 7. Maybe could've done better with Valencia's opener if I'm being fussy but did well otherwise.

Koscielny - 4. Error for the first goal. Bullied by Pogba for the third. I'm embarrassed.
Mustafi - 3. Cost us a goal, then went off injured.
Monreal - 6. Made one great block in the second half and bought the ball out well from the back, but had his hands full when United countered.

Bellerin - 5. Not good enough going forward and left gaps a lot of gaps for United to exploit. One-dimensional.
Xhaka - 5. Struggled without the ball. Poor again, needs dropping, but who's the alternative?
Ramsey - 6. Like Xhaka, not great when United attacked, but caused them problems going forward. Assist for Lacazette's goal.
Kolasinac - 6. Not bad but needs to do more going forward.

Ozil - 8. Worked hard, tried to create and played well in the final third. Very good.
Lacazette - 8. Scored, worked hard, looked sharp, and could've had a couple on another day.
Alexis - 5. Good ball to Ramsey for Lacazette's goal but was poor otherwise. Gave the ball away a lot and slowed things down.

Subs:

Iwobi - 7. Did well, particularly in tight areas at the start of the second half, but found himself moved about thereafter.
Welbeck - 6. Okay. Should've had a penalty.
Giroud - 5. Didn't suit what we were doing, and didn't get on the end of any crosses.

Saw the best and worst of us here. Some brilliant attacking play, more often than not thwarted by the outstanding David De Gea, and some horrific defending. We battered United today but we were never going to come back after giving them a 2-0 head start, particularly with De Gea in goal.

All-in-all, not too disheartened but very frustrated.

Concerned about Koscielny, Xhaka and the wing backs though, which, when you throw in the potential costs of replacing Ozil and Alexis, means we could have summer on our hands.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2017 09:50 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Man United
Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 19:58
Koscielny is a clown.
Xhaka complete waste of space. Terrible signing.

Think this game may well see the departures of Ozil and Sanchez sooner than later.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Gunners R Us (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 20:01
i really don't know about alex iwobi

He tries hard, does the basics well but i don't see a special talent

MattySadler (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 22:12
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Koscielny is a clown.
Xhaka complete waste of space. Terrible signing.

Think this game may well see the departures of Ozil and Sanchez sooner than later.

Xhaka upsets me deeply. I had high expectations for this season, given how strongly he finished last season, but he has gone the complete other way.

Take it with a pinch of salt but the latest rumours are that Ozil is going to sign soon (before Christmas) but Alexis will be sold. Given his performances this season I think its pretty clear Alexis's heart isn't in it. Apparently we're going to sign Goretzka as well.

Quote:
Gunners R Us
i really don't know about alex iwobi
He tries hard, does the basics well but i don't see a special talent

His end product certainly needs work. He should've scored one or two today. I thought the rest of his play was good though, particularly at the start of the second half. He was less effective after we made the substitutions and got moved about.

djarse (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 22:50
Didn't see the whole game but I noticed on MoTD that Monreal was singled out by Ian Wright as playing a bad role in each of the 3 Man U goals

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 23:11
Ozil has said he wants to win the CL before he retires. So he will angle for clubs like Barca or Bayern. Deep down, he knows he will not win the CL under Wenge. So he will leave on a free no matter how well Wenger took care of him.

litmus (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 02:51
I said it before that Iwobi plays bcos Wenger is desperate for people to see him create another gem. Its been years since he uncovered/created a star.

If Alexis goes in Jan, we need two proper top class wide attackers.

At his age Iwobi should be thankful for playing even half the games he gets. Does Iwobi bamboozle everyone in training?? What does AW sees that we don't see.

Trent2000 (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 03:16
Can not agree more with litmus, just can not understand how average he is sometimes and still plays way to much.

If you think Monreal played a role in the goals, yes, but because he was in the back watching his two mates in the back choke with the ball and gift the 2 goals. If he was cloned in the back, no way we give those 2 balls away like the other two did.

What does Xhaka offer over Elneny?

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 04:25
Iwobi is good on the ball and plays well on the half turn unlike most of our team.
He was very good last season when played in a 3 man midfield. The initial part of the season.

He's wasted on the wings or in the front 3. Doesnt have the cutting edge to score goals.

Bigger pbm is xhaka and the formation.

Either you go ultra defensive and play coquelin ramsey and ask them to sit deep and let the front 3 totally free or you play 4-3-3.

We don't have a dani alves or even a chelsea alonso to play a formation where bellerin and kolasinac have to play final ball so many times. Both are poor at giving the final ball but they will be needed to in this formation as you only have 3 other attackers in ozil, alexis and laca

Iwobi is a very decent CM in a 4-3-3

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 06:39 by CazOnARola.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 07:45
Quote:
Trent2000
What does Xhaka offer over Elneny?

I'll hold my hands up and let anyone slate Xhaka at the moment, but this is going too far.

Quote:
CazOnARola
Iwobi is good on the ball and plays well on the half turn unlike most of our team.
He was very good last season when played in a 3 man midfield. The initial part of the season.

He's wasted on the wings or in the front 3. Doesnt have the cutting edge to score goals.

Bigger pbm is xhaka and the formation.

Either you go ultra defensive and play coquelin ramsey and ask them to sit deep and let the front 3 totally free or you play 4-3-3.

We don't have a dani alves or even a chelsea alonso to play a formation where bellerin and kolasinac have to play final ball so many times. Both are poor at giving the final ball but they will be needed to in this formation as you only have 3 other attackers in ozil, alexis and laca

Iwobi is a very decent CM in a 4-3-3

Football is a fickle sport and it is easy to forget, but this is very true. We had it nailed on for a while with the Coquelin-Cazorla midfield (Coq covering for Caz's unsuitability to pressing, Caz covering for Coq's unsuitability to play make), with Cazorla, Iwobi and Ozil as our play makers, Alexis upfront acting as an additional play maker, Walcott coming in from the right to take up the gaps Alexis left, and Bellerin bombing forward into the gaps Walcott left. It worked well, with the Chelsea win being the high point, but it has fallen apart since then. Coquelin has never been the same player as when he's had Cazorla alongside him, Alexis doesn't want to play upfront so has dropped further back, which in turn has seen Iwobi get moved elsewhere, Walcott has never had that "across a whole season" level of consistency, and 2017 Bellerin is "nothing" player.

We then moved to a 3-4-3, which was supposed to give us greater defensive solidity and make us less susceptible on the counter, but that system has quickly been "Wengerised", and was well and truly exposed yesterday.

I'm currently a fan of going to 4-3-3 but I just worry about us at the back again. We have a lot to do in the transfer market.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 08:49
Unless we play coquelin with ramsey we can't play 4-3-3.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 09:51
Ramsey is a far bigger problem than Xhaha. No team in world football defends with 1 CM, it's impossible.

Ramsey is killing our balance, for his own glory, it's beyond a joke!

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 11:49
Especially if that 1 CM doesn't actually defend, but pretends to leading to other team mates believing that he is "marking" someone and so that man is "covered"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 11:50 by CazOnARola.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 14:11
Xhaka is a problem and I was the first to highlight the issues we'd have with him in CM Caz, but we'd have issues with any player playing CM with the mindset Ramsey has these days.

We'll always get exposed unless we play with 3 CM's.

When we had Cazorla in CM he could read the game. That quality is something Ramsey and Xhaka lack am afraid.

Trent2000 (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 15:10
If Xhaka is our true defensive mid, he is very poor at reading the game. How many times did his decision making passes lead to goals the last season or so, way to many to count. The balance is not write, but we need a strong battler that knows his role and does not waiver from it. We don't even have that in the center of the field and get exposed against the big teams because of it. Something has to change in there, but we know that Wenger never changes his favorites.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 05:48
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Xhaka is a problem and I was the first to highlight the issues we'd have with him in CM Caz, but we'd have issues with any player playing CM with the mindset Ramsey has these days.
We'll always get exposed unless we play with 3 CM's.

When we had Cazorla in CM he could read the game. That quality is something Ramsey and Xhaka lack am afraid.
I agree. I dunno why ramsey is not available to receive the ball as much in most games these days.

He does that in a few games like the draw at Chelsea. I would think it has to be AW. How can you not sit down and tell the player to be close to his partner.
Xavi and iniesta were always feet apart which was a big reason for their success in bringing the ball out

litmus (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 03:51
I agree. Our players bomb forward to quickly from a goalkick which then leaves our defenders bringing the ball out from the back with no real passing options. You only do that of you are a route one team like Stoke.

I imagine that is the manager's instructions to the players. To quickly get in the opposition's half quickly and make the opponents sit back so that it clears up the field up to the halfway line. But our midfielders need to come back to offer passing options as our defenders and midfielders passing aren't great. Thats why we always lose the ball in dangerous positions. When there is no pass available, the players should know to mix it up rather than try and force a pass.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 04:20
Quote:
litmus
I agree. Our players bomb forward to quickly from a goalkick which then leaves our defenders bringing the ball out from the back with no real passing options. You only do that of you are a route one team like Stoke.
I imagine that is the manager's instructions to the players. To quickly get in the opposition's half quickly and make the opponents sit back so that it clears up the field up to the halfway line. But our midfielders need to come back to offer passing options as our defenders and midfielders passing aren't great. Thats why we always lose the ball in dangerous positions. When there is no pass available, the players should know to mix it up rather than try and force a pass.
THiS. This is the biggest reason for our pbms when teams like Liverpool press us high. Lack of movement in our half to offer options to the man on the ball. Also inability for defenders to read the danger and go back to cech.

The moment mustafi picks up the ball, monreal knows he is covered and immediately signals him to go to cech, but mustafi doesn't and we all know the rest.
Even though he was culprit for the 1st goal, if we had 3 CB with the understanding of the game as monreal has, we would be so much more solid

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net