football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Spurs
MattySadler (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 17:01
Cech - 7. Little to do in first half bar one routine Kane save. Made a good header off Dier's header in the second half. Impressive clean sheet, all in all.

Koscielny - 8. Recovered from an iffy start to put in a very good performance.
Mustafi - 8.5. Superb on his comeback from injury. Showed no signs of rustiness, scored and had Harry Kane in his back pocket. Made one great block on Kane in the first half.
Monreal - 8. Another good performance. Gave nothing away.

Bellerin - 7.5. Got up and down the right. Unlucky not to get an assist.
Xhaka - 8. Good response to the deserved criticism he has received as of late. Strong in midfield, good in possession and played for over an hour on a yellow card.
Ramsey - 7.5 All action display from our midfield driving force. Covered every blade and was strong defensively (even tackling himself at times!). Performance level dropped in the second half, but work rate did not.
Kolasinac - 7. Didn't offer as much as he would've liked going forward, but was solid defensively.

Ozil - 9. Thought he was our best player by a mile. Created chances (assisted the first), worked hard off the ball and tracked back. More of this please!
Lacazette - 7.5. Didn't always come off for him today but thought he showed good movement, willingness to run and work, and linked up well. Good assist for Alexis's goal.
Alexis - 8. Didn't start well but grew into the game and played well in the end, even saw him linking with Ramsey at one point! Took his goal well.

Subs:

Coquelin - 5. Slotted into midfield.
Iwobi - 5. Decent impact. Could've scored.

With our recent form against Spurs/ top sides in general, and all the talk this week of a "power shift", Mike Dean and a Saturday lunchtime kick off, I won't deny that I was dreading this one. After seeing the starting eleven, however, I was lifted. Mustafi back at centre back instead of Mertesacker or Coquelin, the Alexis-Lacazette-Ozil front three, and Welbeck back on the bench. I now felt strangely confident.

Right from kick off we were on the front foot. We were compact and organised defensively, keeping Kane and Alli quiet, and always looked good going forward. In the end it was an unexpected, but convincing victory, and on another day we could've had 3 or 4. Let's hope this can kick start our season (though I won't hold my breath!).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 22/11/2017 00:43 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Spurs
Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 17:24
I agree with them ratings apart from Coquelin, who I thought was very good when he came on. The pass to Sanchez at the end dispels the myth he can't pass.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 18:30
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
I agree with them ratings apart from Coquelin, who I thought was very good when he came on. The pass to Sanchez at the end dispels the myth he can't pass.
He can pass really well which had become the pbm cause he cannot do it consistently well, especially the crossfield diagonal balls. His ground passing is pretty good.
My only pbm with him is getting to play wembley balls and losing possession

Sanogone (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 18:40
I agree with your ratings.
I thought Ramsey and Xhaka worked really hard today.

Most importantly Sanchez and Ozil performed today. If it had just been one of the two I would applaud them individually, but the team as a whole seemed up for it. So we have to praise Wenger. Or mertasacker.

Flava (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 19:29
All did well today barring Kolasinac who I was a little disappointed with.

Cech gets a 3, lost his bravery

MattySadler (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 21:10
Quote:
sanogoisstillanarsenalplayerasofmetyp

Most importantly Sanchez and Ozil performed today. If it had just been one of the two I would applaud them individually, but the team as a whole seemed up for it. So we have to praise Wenger. Or mertasacker.

Going with Mertesacker, personally. He was a very animated presence on the sidelines.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 21:38
Quote:
Flava
All did well today barring Kolasinac who I was a little disappointed with.
Cech gets a 3, lost his bravery

Cech's agile save dispels the myth that he cannot make agile saves.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 21:54
I agree with the ratings. Cech had a perfect match. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 22:00
It's a pity you can't understand English!

You know nothing about agilty I can assure you, if you think his save from Dier proves he hasn't lost any. I didn't see you piping up here when he couldn't get down for City's first goal a few weeks ago.

Now Ramsey has a half decent game you show up again, how coincidental...

Flava (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 22:07
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
You know nothing about agilty I can assure you, if you think his save from Dier proves he hasn't lost any. I didn't see you piping up here when he couldn't get down for City's first goal a few weeks ago.

You do the EXACT same thing you lunatic

SandyB (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 22:09
Xhaka wasn’t particularly good saw him miss pass n miss tackle quite a few times could have been sent off on another day on double yellow.

Sanogone (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 22:17
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
sanogoisstillanarsenalplayerasofmetyp

Going with Mertesacker, personally. He was a very animated presence on the sidelines.

Is my name still really long?

Yes Mert looked emotionally invested, it was great to see.
I want it every week now.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 23:17
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

You do the EXACT same thing you lunatic

(Sm152)

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 23:55
The most worrying aspect is that we did not win most of the 2nd ball giving Tiny Totts room and time to attack us ... a sigh of relief Tiny Totts was awful in the final third.

A vital aspect is that we are challenging for the 1st ball, challenging for every 50:50 balls and throwing the body to block shots and actively winning headers and 1st ball lobbed into the box.

True to WengerBall, all players attempted to pass out of defence ... you win some, you lose some ... and Tiny Totts failed to punish us when they won the balls in dangerous position.

8 - DEFENCE - superbly marshalled with Mustafi outstaning.
6 - MIDFIELD - we flattered ourselves since Tiny Totts strangely did not turned up.
6 - ATTACK - no killer instinct with Alexis missing 2 clear sitters and Laca hardly got his shots on target.

7 - SUBSTITUTION - got it right by bringing in Coquelin to stop Tiny Totts from winning virtually the 2nd ball and incessantly attacking us through midfield.
Coquelin to strengthen the middle and play simple passes.
Iwobi with fresh legs to replace an exhausted Ozil who barely can run.

7 - Wenger - got his tactics right to suffocate Tiny Totts Alli-Eriksen who were strangely unable to get going at all.

Sanogone (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 00:40
I can’t moan. I saw what I wanted to see and more. Proud today.
If we lose ever game from now until the end of the season I don’t care.
That game we needed to win and we did.
Bragging rights.

And also the race for top 4 has been smashed wide open, we handed City the title but I don’t care!

Shane (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 04:49
I think Kolasinac was probably instructed to stay in defence most of the time. Going forward, Trippier is far and away the most dangerous right-back in the league, but he didn't look it today because he never got a chance. It was the smart move.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 07:36
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

I don't think his save from Dier proves anything, in the same way I don't think Coquelin playing one really good ball over the top proves anything. I was purposely trying to wind you up and I'd say it probably worked!

I've shown up again because, for once, I actually have something positive to say about the team. Nice to see you admitting Ramsey played well though. Does that dispel the myth that he cannot play well? (Sm157)

Quote:
Shane
I think Kolasinac was probably instructed to stay in defence most of the time. Going forward, Trippier is far and away the most dangerous right-back in the league, but he didn't look it today because he never got a chance. It was the smart move.

Fair point Shane.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 09:15
So you've admired you're a troll nice!

Where have i said Ramsey can't play well. The fact he's shite most of the time proves am right yo call him out.

Rememer you were the one who said Gibbs is better than Monreal, Hows that going!

You said Salah is shite and Oscar is better than Countinho, you also called Countinho overrated.

I could go on.

You've really shown me up haven't you...

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 12:52
Tbh every player in Liverpool team apart from coutinnho, you cannot judge if they will do well in other teams.
Klop plays with 11 defenders. Apart from mane, most klop players are speed merchants who run out of their skins and rely mostly on transitions to get goals.
These are not even long ball counter attacks like leicster with ranieri.
Its his front 3 robbing the defenders/dms and getting the goals.

Thsts the reason why his players get soft tissue injuries so often.
I would like to salah play with a better coach before commenting. But yes currently he's in the perfect team.
Sanchez would do extremely well under klopp. Much better than pep

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/11/2017 12:59 by CazOnARola.

Trent2000 (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 16:10
Top performance from all, especially the contract rebels. Why cant we be consistent and have this game in and game out, comes down to the manager, We see what we have and need to build on it, Lacazette being benched for Liverpool and City is criminal. The front three look so much comfortable with the pace they have and the roles they play with each other. Hopefully we build from here and make a run at the top four. Would like to see Jack involved to show if he has anything to offer for next year. To me the players of the year for us so far is Monreal, how he has slotted in the back three and his consistency is admirable.

Shane (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 17:28
Yeah I've come to be a big fan of Monreal. With the exception of Koscielny, he's probably been Arsenal's most consistent, most reliable defender since the move to the Emirates.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 10:44
Monreal would be my Player of the Season so far.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 13:08
Monreal is also technically one of the best players in the team. His passing in terms on weight on the ball would put players like Alexis to shame. It's not as apparent from cb, but it's when he plays LB.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net