football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Lacazette is not an upgrade on Giroud
Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 15:20
We were all saying we wented a player who's a threat in behind, well sorry but Lacazette is not that player. He's got no pace or presence.

He's not the kind of player who's going to win you big matches and for the price we paid for him that's what you expect.

Re: Lacazette is not an upgrade on Giroud
celine dion (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 15:45
Hes a strange player. When I see him play he sort of reminds me of one of the big boys who comes along when you were little, playing football in the park, does a few things, then gets on their bike and goes off again. Its like he's not really playing seriously, he might score a cracker from 30 yards or he might miss an absolute sitter and run off laughing.

Thats just my impression of him anyway.

Goofle (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 15:56
He's just a decent technical player who can't compete physically in any way. Slow and soft. Bin him asap.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 16:40
Or we could give him some time before judging him.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 16:49
He's not going to get quicker is he. We needed someone with pace upfront, Lacazette is not the answer unfortunately.

Shane (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 16:55
I've no issue with him. What is it, two goals - but really three after his offside Stoke goal was wrongly chalked off - in four games, so it's not a bad start.

Goofle (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 17:01
It's about looking at a players attributes. He will score loads against trash teams, but not gonna make a difference against big teams or tough games.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 17:11
Well, we said that about Robert Pires in 2000 that he is trash, too soft and will not make it in England.

Goofle (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 17:25
Yeah, we were all saying it mate.

Ares (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 18:51
Quote:
Merlion96
Well, we said that about Robert Pires in 2000 that he is trash, too soft and will not make it in England.

please explain

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 19:11
He may adapt.. Rvp did. He wasn't tearing it up with his pace when he was 29 and scored all those goals. Also like I've said before, this guy does play blind passes and did need great understanding with his team mates in France. Its more imp to his game compared to other strikers as he isn't direct.

He will do better and better as time passes by but yes he cannot change a game on his own like Henry or sanchez for that matter.

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 19:17
I think most people on here didn't think Lacazette was a upgrade over Giroud (not a major one one anyway) rather that Lacazette was a different type of striker to Giroud.

However Lacazette does look slower than most expected him to be.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 19:33
I did watch him during the emirates cup some time back when he played against. He isn't rapid but his pace is comparable to rvp and he has enough to get in behind defenses if a through ball is played. Ramsey gets in behind the defense much more frequently than theo. Timing is a lot more imp than just raw pace.
He has a good football brain and will do well but he's he won't win you games until he develops an understanding with our forwards. But he won't be like Henry if that was what people were expecting. Not even close

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 19:40
Lacazette is an upgrade over Giroud for Wengerball. He is not an upgrade if we play Giroud as a target man.

Kalela (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 21:36
I never liked Lacazette but you have to admit the midfield is trash. Wenger should give the youngster Nketiah a chance.

We don't have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap - Arsene Wenger

Goofle (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 23:21
RYP had a better burst if pace and made yards for himself through his movement. Laca is just slow and doesn't have the nous.

Goofle (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 01:11
Speaking of Pires, this is the best vid you're likely to find on Twitter:

[twitter.com]

Bergmars (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 05:00
Bobby P was a class player no comparison

A shadow of what we were

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 06:15
Quote:
Goofle
RYP had a better burst if pace and made yards for himself through his movement. Laca is just slow and doesn't have the nous.
Laca can get away and has the footwork and skills to do the same. What he doesn't have yet is the intelligence. Even giroud has better movement that way if you discount severe lack of pace (that goal against liverpool where he rolled the defender).
But if you look at lacazette3 years ago and now there's a lot improvement in the link up and movement.

Rvp didn't have that 23, but he was quickrr then. After 27 his movement and awareness of space went to another level.

Looking at those things, i feel laca can still improve because unlike English player s like ox, theo he seems to want to if you look at his career.

Also i feel he has a shorter back lift than the other players i mentioned, so he should not need the same amount of time and space to shoot as giroud or even RVP. He has natural power in his strikes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/09/2017 02:48 by CazOnARola.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 09:22
GS this is how you make yourself look silly, by making a judgement on a player before they even have a chance to settle and then relentlessly sticking to your assessment no matter what and refuse to acknowledge in any capacity whenever they play well thereafter.

You did the same with Cech and Mustafi (who were both excellent yesterday by the way).

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

MattySadler (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 15:17
Lacazette was sh*t yesterday. Needs to be better in the big games or he'll turn out to be a waste of money.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 17:54
The PL can be tough initially, Pires and Bergkamp were c.rap for awhile when they first joined and even Henry didn't hit the ground running. Lacazette has at least bagged a couple of goals already.

I agree its doubtful he'll teach their level but give the guy a chance for f.uck sake.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

younghansolo (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 18:46
I'm sure as @#$%& not going to judge him after 5 games.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 18:48
Quote:
BootyDaddy
The PL can be tough initially, Pires and Bergkamp were c.rap for awhile when they first joined and even Henry didn't hit the ground running. Lacazette has at least bagged a couple of goals already.
I agree its doubtful he'll teach their level but give the guy a chance for f.uck sake.

Quote:
younghansolo
I'm sure as @#$%& not going to judge him after 5 games.

Not judging him or writing him off, just thought he played sh*t.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 19:22
He did play s.hit, but that doesn't mean he is s.hit.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 22:18
Quote:
MattySadler
Lacazette was sh*t yesterday. Needs to be better in the big games or he'll turn out to be a waste of money.

He is a waste of money.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Goofle (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 22:25
I didn't want him before we signed him based on having watched the guy play. Those reasons are the same now, and he's not suddenly going to become stronger or faster.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 07:11
Faster maybe not, but his strength is finishing inside the box anyway. You dont need to be Usain Bolt to do that.

But he can get stronger, anyone can.

Goofle (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:09
Getting into the positions is harder without a burst of pace, great movement or strength. He has none of that. Will struggle when it comes to the big boys and tough packed defences.

He's a good player and will obviously score goals though.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 20:40
Quote:
BootyDaddy
GS this is how you make yourself look silly, by making a judgement on a player before they even have a chance to settle and then relentlessly sticking to your assessment no matter what and refuse to acknowledge in any capacity whenever they play well thereafter.
You did the same with Cech and Mustafi (who were both excellent yesterday by the way).

Sure we're only playing West Brom, but Lacazette was rather good tonight I'm sure and even the dumbest of fans would struggle to argue otherwise. Bagging two goals along the way and worth noting it is a Pulis team as well who we always tend to struggle breaking down.

Maybe judging him after all of 5 league games was a bit stupid after all ....

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 20:50
Yep Giroud wouldn't have scored either.

Am glad you understood my point....

SuperRob (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 21:03
Giroud wouldn't have got into that position for the first because he doesn't have any positional awareness and he wouldn't have scored the second because Alexis would have taken the penalty.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 21:19
Ok...

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 22:04
Have you ever seen Giroud be the first to act and so quickly .... hang on isn't Lacazette slow?

Was that you being proven right again?

Shane (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 01:37
Whether or not Lacazette is an upgrade hinges on how he deals with a loss of form, lads. The type of goals he scores honestly doesn't determine anything.

Giroud is prone to ridiculously long periods without finding the net - like, literally months - but if Lacazette is more regular throughout the course of a nine-month season then he's a massive upgrade, regardless of whether every single goal is a five-yard tap in.

The best strikers in the Premier League typically don't go more than two or three weeks without finding the net. That's what held Giroud back, which means it held us back.

Judge Lacazette on how he reacts to periods of not scoring goals. That's the only gauge. Comparing and contrasting his goals and Giroud's is a waste of time because the manner in which Giroud scored was never the issue - it was the frequency.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 09:41
He's growing in confidence. You could see him expressing himself more after he scored the penalty. He has good movement, so like Shane said it's going to be about temperament when the going gets tougher

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/09/2017 02:21 by CazOnARola.

Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 14:28
Sanogo was an upgrade and on Giroud

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 21:48
www.goal.com/en-gb/news/lacazette-isnt-any-better-than-giroud-arsenal-business-fails/1m2blx5azm3s91ljiod38v5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net