football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Now Lee Dixon says that Wenger isnt a coach
Padre Pio (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 12:56
Listen to #131 – Gooner Ramble Girls with Lee Dixon [exclusive] from The Gooner Ramble in Podcasts. Lee Dixon on Gooner Ramble Girls

When Tony Adams said it I had one or two on here call him a deluded alcoholic, I wonder what abuse Dixon will get?

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Re: Now Lee Dixon says that Wenger isnt a coach
celine dion (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 14:09
Lee Dixon has been getting it all week on twitter from the looney contingent for similar comments, their general point seems to be that pundits shouldn't say anything negative about Arsenal as it makes the players feel sad. Dixon has been dealing with their comments in his usual forthright way.

He follows me on twitter you know. I bet he doesn't follow anyone else on here on twitter.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 15:26
The long knives are out when one's is down and vulnerable.
Pity he remained quiet till now.

Ares (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 17:06
You must be thinking about some one else

Lee Dixon has highlighted this on his TV Show

For Years

younghansolo (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 13:40
To be fair, I still think Tony Adams is generally utterly deluded. He may be right about Wenger but more by luck than design IMHO.

Dixon has always been a quite blunt pundit but at this point in time it's very hard to see much of a Coach in Wenger. Was he in the past? That's another story.

For example, people have moaned about wages etc at Arsenal for years (great example was Ashley Cole who we lost for 5k a week.) Yet when he first joined the club, Wenger gave all of our players massive wage increases and said the money didn't matter, he wanted players to be happy.

That's just one example of how he has changed over time, the man seems to have genuinely lost his marbles at times. He's become geriatric.

Shane (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 13:51
I don't know that being a good coach means anything in relation to management, because people who've played under Steve McClaren regularly say he's the best coach they've worked with.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 15:30
That's valid point. And the Un tied team of Ferguson and McLaren was one of the greatest.

I've seen absolutely nothing from anyone around Steve Bould. I'm pretty sure though, his old mates Dixon and Adams won't slag him off.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 15:41
“What is happening on the pitch at the moment is very sad,” Adams told the Islington Gazette.

“Arsene should have brought someone in to concentrate on the team – as financially they are doing well.

“That’s all you needed. Someone to come in and teach players how to defend.

“Hector Bellerin will be the same player in five years as he is now because he’s not been brought on by Wenger.

“You need someone to come in and teach players like Rob Holding – who can be a very good player – to defend.”

The 50-year-old, now working in a consultancy role for a Chinese investor, says generations of players have passed through Arsenal without being taught the art of defending.

“You can keep going with the names of players,” Adams added.
“Arsene buys them, puts them in – but he doesn’t develop defenders.”

The former defender, who won four league titles and three FA Cups with the club, says Wenger excelled at physical preparation and psychology, but fell down on the technical side.

“For preparation and recovery he was better than anyone,” Adams said.

“As a psychologist – regarding his interaction with his group of players – he was fantastic, second to none.

“But did he teach me anything? No.

“Did he teach me how to defend? No.”

[www.independent.co.uk]

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 19:11
Kos, sagna, toure, Ashley cole, clichy, etc all unified under him defensively. Also one cab day whatever we want, but if you go watch the stats, since we moved to zonal marking, we have hardly conceded from corners. Last 3 years we have been much better at defending set pieces. Mostly due to mertesacker in center, kos behind him and giroud on the best post, the 3 most dangerous areas.
Its a different thing of course that we tend to concede from our corners smiling smiley

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 21:26
It might be useful to actually listen to what Dixon says before posting

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

De Times (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:59
We're doing very very well as a football club, people are just frustrated that it's taking us too long to build our Rome.

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 19:09
Quote:
De Times
We're doing very very well as a football club, people are just frustrated that it's taking us too long to build our Rome.

I think its finished

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.KUsqXIALHjUYagcdYcIRhwEsCT&pid=15.1&P=0&w=322&h=159

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 19:58
Quote:
De Times

You're like a genie, DeTimes. But rather than rub a bottle, Arsenal win a game and poof you miraculously appear from your hiatus.

Make sure you show up after the Chelsea game as well wont you.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Bergmars (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 20:49
Nero is fiddling and the fat lady is limbering up

DB10,the best.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 16:09
So I listened to the full podcast. (Those ladies are incredibly annoying by the way) but Lee was very interesting to listen to, especially about 89 and the upcoming documentary.

I found it very interesting to hear his take on things, as I mentored before he tends to be pretty unpolitical with his views, which I like,

His views do raise questions though. If Ashley Cole couldn't defend at all and Tony Adams taught him everything, he must have had an enormous amount of natural, latent talent because Tony didn't have that long with him on the pitch. And who decided he should be a defender at all?

Moreover, who taught Kolo Toure to play CB? Was it Campbell?

There point is, we've had arguably better defenders at times (Gallas, Campbell, Kos?) who have all struggled under Wenger but then back fours like Campbell, Toure, Lauren and Cole were unbeatable.... literally. And no disrespect to these players but baring Campbell, none were believed to be world class at the time.

It seems to me it's the last ten years or so that we've stopped playing this way so what changed? And could it all be sorted by Wenger listening to some of the old guard defenders? Letting Bould have the time Dixon thinks he doesn't have? And why Doesn't Bould agree with Adams and Dixon? Simply because he's on the payroll?

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 18:55
I dont think Dixon is saying Cole couldnt play, he is referring to positional defending, defending as a unit

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 05:35
We have not defended as a unit for a long time. We sometimes pull it out when we press high like in a few against milan in the first of of an impossible comeback, napoli and more recently against United when beat them 3-0.
But when it comes to defending in our own half, we have been relying on numbers rather than structure but still scrapped results like udinese, dortmund, city, etc in say games without looking convincing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net