football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Van Persie
Shane (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 19:51
Beautiful footballer and, at risk of giving Gunnersingh a heart-attack, probably better than Thierry Henry in my view. I'm not trolling. If I could bring back only one of them, as a 22-year-old with a blemish-free past and future regarding injuries, it has to be Van Persie. I just think he had more strings to his bow than Henry as far as goalscoring goes.

Real talk, I'd be surprised if Arsenal have ever had a better technical footballer - and I'm not forgetting about Bergkamp. There's Gunnersingh's second heart attack but, again, I'm not trolling.

He was just phenomenal and although he leaves a very different legacy than Henry, he'll still be remembered as an outstanding goalscorer who would've blitzed Ian Wright and Cliff Bastin if he wasn't so prone to injury.

Re: Van Persie
SandyB (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 20:11
Van Persie wouldn't be able to tie the boot of Henry, a simple comparison of their records will bring the truth to you, shano.

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 20:13
Quote:
Shane
Beautiful footballer and, at risk of giving Gunnersingh a heart-attack, probably better than Thierry Henry in my view.

Sure, I an alternate reality where RvP stayed fit, then yeah maybe but in this reality, no way in hell.

Yes RvP may have been better technically than Henry but there is no question that Henry was better, not only in pure numbers of goal but Henry himself has also scored some beautiful and magical goals too.

RvP could be better than Henry but wasn't because RvP was out injured for 50%-60% of his career.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

Shane (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 20:24
Quote:
Optimistic Gunner
Sure, I an alternate reality where RvP stayed fit, then yeah maybe but in this reality, no way in hell.

I'm not debating who the better player for Arsenal was.

Flava (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 21:46
Quote:
Shane
Beautiful footballer and, at risk of giving Gunnersingh a heart-attack, probably better than Thierry Henry in my view. I'm not trolling. If I could bring back only one of them, as a 22-year-old with a blemish-free past and future regarding injuries, it has to be Van Persie. I just think he had more strings to his bow than Henry as far as goalscoring goes.
Real talk, I'd be surprised if Arsenal have ever had a better technical footballer - and I'm not forgetting about Bergkamp. There's Gunnersingh's second heart attack but, again, I'm not trolling.

He was just phenomenal and although he leaves a very different legacy than Henry, he'll still be remembered as an outstanding goalscorer who would've blitzed Ian Wright and Cliff Bastin if he wasn't so prone to injury.

RVP was a brilliant player but lay off the Babychams and come back again tomorrow mate

Shane (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 22:14
I'm very sober pal.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 22:16
If I was in the KKK like you Shane, I'd agree with you (Sm64)

SandyB (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 22:25
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
Optimistic Gunner

I'm not debating who the better player for Arsenal was.
And debate Diaby was better than PV4...goes on.

PKGooner (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 23:43
Wenger the silly old fool let him go to Man United.

Single handedly won them the league. Ferguson left end of that season. He wouldn't have gone to United to play for Moyes, no chance.

Sackable offence.

Ares (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 23:55
V Persie < Franny J

Kalela (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 00:04
Not even close. Van Persie relied on other players to create chances for him or deliver the ball to him near the box. Henry could take the ball from one end of the pitch and go through and entire team and score.

We don't have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap - Arsene Wenger

Shane (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 00:17
Quote:
PKGooner
Wenger the silly old fool let him go to Man United.
Single handedly won them the league. Ferguson left end of that season. He wouldn't have gone to United to play for Moyes, no chance.

Sackable offence.

Thanks mate. Did you also know:

The sky is blue. ISIS aren't very nice blokes. Adidas have three stripes on their logo. Coca-Cola is dark but the label on the bottle is red, if it's regular that is. Gianfranco Zola is Italian. Mark Zuckerberg invented Facebook. The E in Dell is slightly tilted. Forks tend to have four spikes on the end of them, for the purposes of piercing food before you cut it, or simply to pick it up. Lynx smells nice. Radar is a palindrome. Ajax is the name of a football team and a cleaning product, but not pronounced the same. The volleyball in Castaway is called Wilson because that's the brand name. Clearsil is typically used to combat acne. There's an adhesive substance on the top of post-it notes. Dave Grohl was in Nirvana. The sun rises in the east. Nestle made the Drifter. WD-40 is a lubricant, not to be confused with UB-40 which was a reggae band. Garfield's favourite food is lasagne but it wouldn't be safe - or cheap - to feed a real cat lasagne everyday.

Goofle (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 00:35
Obviously Henry was better than van Persie, but RVP is about as good as it gets aside from the top top top top top tier footballers.

Goofle (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 00:40
Quote:
SandyB

A fit Diaby would have just about laced Alex Song's boots. Nowhere near Vieira is any way shape or form, and the idea that he was anything close - even when fit - is absolutely ludicrous. I know you're not necessarily making that argument yourself, but anybody who is clearly doesn't understand just how good Vieira was.

You can't just "fitness" your way into becoming as good as Vieira. Diaby NEVER showed anything close to the same ability. Absolute joke that anybody thinks he could have become more than just a good to very good player avoiding injury.

SandyB (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 00:48
Quote:
Goofle
Quote:
SandyB

A fit Diaby would have just about laced Alex Song's boots. Nowhere near Vieira is any way shape or form, and the idea that he was anything close - even when fit - is absolutely ludicrous. I know you're not necessarily making that argument yourself, but anybody who is clearly doesn't understand just how good Vieira was.

You can't just "fitness" your way into becoming as good as Vieira. Diaby NEVER showed anything close to the same ability. Absolute joke that anybody thinks he could have become more than just a good to very good player avoiding injury.
Did I miss the lol in my post!!

Shane (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 00:51
Quote:
Goofle
Obviously Henry was better than van Persie, but RVP is about as good as it gets aside from the top top top top top tier footballers.

Don't think there's anything obvious about it. Henry's best season was 2003-04, where he ended up with 39 goals. Van Persie's best was 2011-12, where he ended up with 37. That was the only season Van Persie reached the 30-game mark in an Arsenal shirt, whereas Henry regularly reached it.

I don't think we're appreciating how good he would've been for Arsenal had injury not curtailed a massive amount of his spell at the club.

Goofle (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 00:57
I rate RVP about as highly as anyone on the planet, but Henry was simply better. Faster, stronger, better with the ball and almost as good a finisher. Also Henry played in a team that was so good he could basically p*ss around and pass the ball for an easy assist. He never played in a team that was so heavily reliant on him getting on the end of everything, unlike RVP. Aside from maybe 05/06, but Henry was amazing that season as well.

Edit: I understand the "better team" argument plays into RYP's hand, but when it comes to numbers (which is basically your argument) I don't think it does. I firmly believe that Henry would have scored just as many if he wasn't in a team that was more rounded in terms of goal scorers. He simply didn't need to score a goal or two every game. And that changes how you approach games.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2017 01:03 by Goofle.

Shane (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 01:33
I honestly don't understand the, 'Henry was much better because he had pace and didn't need to score tap-ins like Van Persie' argument. That's when you know you're not comparing players by their goalscoring merits, but by which one is easier on the eye. Henry was more exciting, but Van Persie, in my view, was more of an artist, though that's not really the main discussion.

The discussion is whether Van Persie was more well-rounded as a goalscorer, which I think he absolutely was. At 34, Van Persie is still scoring goals for Fenerbahce, hence why he was drafted into the Netherlands' squad for their latest round of qualifiers. Henry, at that age, was in the process of becoming a playmaker in Major League Soccer because he was no longer Thierry Henry when his legs went, no longer capable of showing defenders a clean pair of heels en route to tucking it past the goalkeeper with ease.

The other discussion was whether Van Persie would've scored the same volume of goals in the same number of games. Who the f*ck knows, but it's absolutely not a cut-and-dried, non-starter of a debate. It can't be when their peak seasons for the club were so similar in terms of goals scored.

SandyB (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 02:36
Quote:
Shane
I honestly don't understand the, 'Henry was much better because he had pace and didn't need to score tap-ins like Van Persie' argument. That's when you know you're not comparing players by their goalscoring merits, but by which one is easier on the eye. Henry was more exciting, but Van Persie, in my view, was more of an artist, though that's not really the main discussion.
The discussion is whether Van Persie was more well-rounded as a goalscorer, which I think he absolutely was. At 34, Van Persie is still scoring goals for Fenerbahce, hence why he was drafted into the Netherlands' squad for their latest round of qualifiers. Henry, at that age, was in the process of becoming a playmaker in Major League Soccer because he was no longer Thierry Henry when his legs went, no longer capable of showing defenders a clean pair of heels en route to tucking it past the goalkeeper with ease.

The other discussion was whether Van Persie would've scored the same volume of goals in the same number of games. Who the f*ck knows, but it's absolutely not a cut-and-dried, non-starter of a debate. It can't be when their peak seasons for the club were so similar in terms of goals scored.

I can't imagine we are still having this discussion!!!!!!
Comparing RVP n Henry when they are 34 years old!!!
(Sm22)
I definitely smell conspiracy in this thread, this is AKB way to prove Wenger's legacy when there is nothing to really compare, well his hair was longer, his cock was sharper, his girl friend was better on the bed comes into play.
RVP wasn't even half Van Nistelrooy if you compare their career, comparing literally 2 seasons wonder like RVP with Henry is equally disgraceful comparing Diaby with PV4.
This is the reason Wenger is Aegon the conqueror in AKBs la la land n Arsenal is such fuc.king joke show.
(Sm6)
Stop the embracement, close the thread n ban shano from any future football discussion. plz! plz! plz! (Sm122)

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 02:54
RVP, one of my favorite Arsenal players of all time. I still think that with the team we had during those years (until the year Fabregas and Nasri left) we could have won the PL with a better manager. All those hobbits (including the Russian gem) just needed a backline to reach those heights.

I'm not saying that we needed a Cannavaro, or a Thuram, but you know, someone actually decent at least. It's a crime that we had such many talented players in offensive positions yet they were accompanied with @#$%& like Almunia, Silvestre, Traore, etc.

It's possible that under a different manager, with a different training regime, Van Persie would have had a much more productive career without all those injuries. Afterall it's not a coincidence how not only he, but also the likes of Rosicky, Nasri and Walcott in his youth, missed so many months at a time.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 07:34
Wenger has always been about mid field and forwards feck defending and that's why we won't win he EPL under his stewardship.Hence players like RVP and his ilk get fed up and go elsewhere.

A shadow of what we were

younghansolo (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 08:00
Van Persie was always one my favourite players. Technically he was absolutely superb.

Left foot, right foot didn't matter and technically speaking he was probably the most perfect I've ever seen.

His precious and unbelievable power form corners and free kicks were at times unstoppable.
Sadly, that's what made it so hard to see him leave the way he did. I would do anything to have a 27 year old fully fit Van Persie playing for us now.

hahanice (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 14:55
yup i loved RVP too. but to say he was better than henry is seriously mental.

henry was the best player in the world for a period of time. RVP could score for fun, and scored plenty when we werent very good. but he was no henry.

at 34 he gets a call up to a not very good national team. he also could barely get on the pitch the last 2 seasons. many of his appearances were as a sub and he wanted to leave.

henry played in the MLS sure. he torched us when we played against them, and scored for us when he came back on loan.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 17:51
Let me be the one as usual to end this nonsense.

Van Persie was very good technically but Henry was far better; Henry could take players on at will at high speed, could Van Persie? No!

Who was the better dribbler? Henry by a mile!

Who was the better passer and who made more assists, with both feet? Henry again!

Later!!!

Shane (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 19:53
Gunnersingh is legit the only one on earth who makes me want to blow my head off when it comes to football.

grayfox1 (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 17:27
GS knows all the answers. Accept that or "stop watching football" grinning smiley

Ares (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 18:29
To control a football at the speeds at which Henry did you have another level of tecnique

To walk a high wire in a brisk wind you need great tecnique

To run on a high wire in a brisk wind

Thats Thierry Henry

Theres a reason His own People named him French Player of the Year 5 times in a row

When Zenedine Zidane was playing and Scoring goals for fun in the champions league

The speed at which Henry was able to execute tecnique, the speed, the control, the co-ordination, the balance, dear me

If you saw a jet fighter move with the speed of a jet fighter and the dexterity of a helicopter the science needed for that... It exists in nature... The Dragonfly has outrageous flying tecnique... but for that to exist in mechanical structures. With the forces involved (because of the speeds and the mass, the resistance) it can only exist in science fiction.

But thats Henry The rate at which Henry was doing things. Its extreme. And his Style. Everyone wants to copy his style.

Thats what happens when you have some one who raises the standard in a field.

I remember some Arsenal people being tremendously excited when some french kid who signed for Manchester United almost scored a goal with a simillar level of ability to the tecnique Henry developed and immortalised.

People thought yeah that's it. That's manu winning every thing for the next ten years, he'll be scoring loads of goals every week ...

And people were very excited when some guy we spent £16 Million on (an England international) took a stab at scoring a goal like Henry

Do you see and hear grown men being super excited at trying to score a goal with the same tecnique as Van Persie as they are at trying to score a goal with the same tecnique Henry brought into the game over 10 years ago

TL: DR

Truly great players bring something NEW to the game

They force change - Because of Henry They Had to Change the Voting Structure for The Fifa World Player of The Year

Because of Tiger Woods - They had to make golf courses longer

Michael Schumacher - From the day he rocked up for his first F1 race Everyone, The Competition, The Builders, The Organisers everyone was trying to keep up with him

Can anyone remember when the entire opposittion stadium in a competitive Premier League game stood up and cheered and cheered for Van Persie like they did for Thierry Henry after he scored against them?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2017 18:58 by Ares.

Sanogone (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 19:50
What? Are you trolling?

Henry was better in every single area on the pitch.
Stronger, better dribbler, better passer, aggression and technique wise I still don't think Henry has ever been matched.

Re-watch the goal vs Utd in 2000 then tell me RVP had better technical ability.

RVP vs charlton was mint as was that header You could say RVP was better at volleys maybe.... maybe.

Shane (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 20:10
Quote:
sanogoisstillanarsenalplayerasofmetyp
RVP vs charlton was mint as was that header You could say RVP was better at volleys maybe.... maybe.

Yes and if you've ever kicked a football you'd know that the volley - and I mean real volleys, when the ball hasn't bounced prior to it being struck - is a profoundly difficult skill, but it's also a measure of technique and if you've p*ssed them in as often as Van Persie then it's a reflection of his immense technical ability.

Put that together with his silk first touch, skill, balance and sheer grace to change direction instantly to work it on to that wand of a left foot and you have a supremely talented technical footballer who Henry, legend or not, does not better in that regard.

litmus (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 05:29
I don't see the point of arguing on this. Its what a person believes, so let it be if they think RvP or Henry was better.

When I first supported Arsenal in the early 80's is was Woodcock, Mariner, Nicholas, Smith, then came Ian Wright from Palace then Bergkamp. They were good, but Henry for me was unparalleled and there will never be one like him.

In the end, I am thankful to have had the pleasure of watching all these great strikers put on an Arsenal shirt and play for us.

On that note, Anelka was a big regret for me, he really could have been one of the greats. Although he didn't do too badly, but all the ex-players said he had everything in him to be one of the world's best. Ah, I can only dream of a front 3 of Anelka, Henry and RvP in their prime for us.

Ares (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 17:23
I see how when someone came of age someone (not too far apart in years) was breaking into a well known sports team.

Its not impossible to observe how someone could really identify with that and looking at challenges both have faced with work availability and being available for work I can see how someone's understanding and communication might be coloured by a natural liking for someone.

Goofle (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 12:58
In the list of Arsenal strikers it goes Henry first, Wright second and RVP third.

Ben_Nwa (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 00:55
This is so boring. Can we please debate Giroud vs Welbeck please? Or perhaps, Gervinho vs Walcott? Or Chamakh vs Bendtner?

What the @#$%& happened Arsène? How did you go from Anelka, Wright, Bergkamp, Henry and RVP to the@#$%&we've been served for the second half of your career?

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 19:31
If we are purely looking at shooting technique, podolski won't be far behind. Killer left foot. Bit wasted on the Spanish revolution era.. Wild have had a more fruitful career in the 4-4-2 era

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net