football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

We can win the title this season ... says Wenger
BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 05:26
[www.mirror.co.uk]

Look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, into the eyes ... 3 2 1 you're under. We can win the league this year.

Also reckons he nearly quit prior to signing the 2 year contract extension. He's supposed to be an intelligent man, so I'm wondering what on earth (or who) convinced him it was a good idea to stay and drag the club further down the s.hitter.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Re: We can win the title this season ... says Wenger
Bergmars (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 05:32
Stop talking and actually achieve something then I might listen

A shadow of what we were

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 14:00
Quote:
BootyDaddy
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsene-wenger-arsenal-leaving-psg-11106697
Look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, into the eyes ... 3 2 1 you're under. We can win the league this year.

Also reckons he nearly quit prior to signing the 2 year contract extension. He's supposed to be an intelligent man, so I'm wondering what on earth (or who) convinced him it was a good idea to stay and drag the club further down the s.hitter.

Well, he nearly bought Messi, fake Ronaldo, Myappe, Lemar, et al
... turned down Modric, believing he is too fragile for English Football.
... turned away Michael Carrick believing it is not fair for him to sit on the bench after Vieira made a U-turn and stay on.

... said we are not a big club if we sold both Nasri and Fabregas ... it was truth.

See, Arsene Wenger is still selling finestkind snake-oil.

It proved that Arsene Wenger is suffering from the delusion of grandeur and suffering from the Messiah Complex - must do everything himself as only he can offer the best and he is the most knowledgeable and nobody else.

Silent Stan read him like a book and just uses him as a front to hold the fort, deflecting all bad vibes from himself, using Wenger as a monkey entertaining tabloids and football fans with Gazidis grinding the organ.

When you go home, tell them of us and say
For their tomorrow, we gave our today.
John Maxwell Edmonds

SandyB (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 15:09
Just in case folks didn't catch it, he was referring the dodgeball underdog title famously known as 'Wenger cup'.

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 20:01
Quote:
Merlion96
fake Ronaldo

Slightly off topic, but I hate it when peole say "fake Ronaldo" when referring to Cristiano Ronaldo, because it doesn't make sense anymore. C.Ronaldo has been a better player overall than Ronaldo and has had a much better carreer. I am not a C.Ronaldo fanboy but it is not even an argument anymore that C.Ronaldo is one of the best players of all time now, on the same level as Maradona, Messi and Pele.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

SandyB (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 20:08
Quote:
Optimistic Gunner
Quote:
Merlion96
fake Ronaldo

Slightly off topic, but I hate it when peole say "fake Ronaldo" when referring to Cristiano Ronaldo, because it doesn't make sense anymore. C.Ronaldo has been a better player overall than Ronaldo and has had a much better carreer. I am not a C.Ronaldo fanboy but it is not even an argument anymore that C.Ronaldo is one of the best players of all time now, on the same level as Maradona, Messi and Pele.
LOL..

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 20:20
Cor blimey he is a caution, my sides are still aching, oh gawd Ive got to wipe me eyes.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Shane (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 20:49
Quote:
Optimistic Gunner

Couldn't agree more.

mike was right (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 21:13
Lol, Ronaldo on a par with Maradona and Pele. Now, that is something Wenger would say. Classic.

04 September, 2017 21:17
Quote:
mike was right
Lol, Ronaldo on a par with Maradona and Pele. Now, that is something Wenger would say. Classic.

You guys only hate because he played for our rival.

But there is no doubt that in time C.Ronaldo will be remembered in history as being on the same level Maradona and Pele, along with Messi.

Flava (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 21:44
Totally agree OG. CR7 and Messi have rewritten the record books. Fat Ronaldo is the lesser player of the two Ronaldos.

Wenger says we can win the title every year. "Judge me in May" when he's 20 points behind the champions

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 08:53
o my the gods has totally gone MAD!!!!

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp87/ajplatinum/2017-09-26_12.35.41.jpg

SandyB (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 14:01
Quote:
Optimistic Gunner
Quote:
mike was right

You guys only hate because he played for our rival.

But there is no doubt that in time C.Ronaldo will be remembered in history as being on the same level Maradona and Pele, along with Messi.

Did you watch football when Pele or Maradona played football? Most probably not. But you talk about them, why didn't you name De Stefano when you talk about Ronaldo n Messi?? Flava n Shano might not even have heard of De Stefano.. (Sm6)
When your son talks about Ronaldo n Messi then we will resurrect this thread, till then it's your wishful thinking as Ronaldo fan boy that they are even half good as the people you named them with!! grinning smiley

Shane (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 15:47
According to Sandy in the Wenger thread, success is the only barometer for greatness, and yet now he's claiming Cristiano Ronaldo, who is Real Madrid's all-time record goalscorer, with 600 competitive career goals and four Champions League trophies, isn't more accomplished than the fat Ronaldo.

That's the problem when you base your opinion on how you personally feel about people and not the facts pal.

SandyB (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 16:01
Quote:
Shane
According to Sandy in the Wenger thread, success is the only barometer for greatness, and yet now he's claiming Cristiano Ronaldo, who is Real Madrid's all-time record goalscorer, with 600 competitive career goals and four Champions League trophies, isn't more accomplished than the fat Ronaldo.
That's the problem when you base your opinion on how you personally feel about people and not the facts pal.

Show me where did I say that "Fat Ronaldo" is better than "Fake Ronaldo" the point is people are talking with authority that putting players like Ronaldo or Messi same bracket with Pele, Maradona neither of whom they probably have seen playing football in their era but still somehow know they were greatest of all time!!
Putting Ronaldo/Messi with greatest of all time is silly, coz you are from the era when they are playing.
People would've shot you if you said RVP is better than Henry when both were playing, that's how the time bias works. As I said, if OG's son talks about Ronaldo/Messi then we will know they were as good as Pele/Maradona. As far as now almost 100% of Argies don't consider Messi could ever be even half the Maradona that's what all matters, some ponies from Ireland what think of Messi or Ronaldo matters nothing!! [:wor kid:]

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 16:08
Oh well, Wenger did said in 2002 we will be unbeaten.

Anyone coming out with Comical Ali T-sheets yet?

Shane (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 16:13
Quote:
SandyB
Show me where did I say that "Fat Ronaldo" is better than "Fake Ronaldo"

Well you delivered a 'lol' (all in capitals to add emphasis) when OG put forward the idea that the fat Ronaldo was in Cristiano Ronaldo's shadow, which he is, so I took that was an opposing opinion.

Pele's a f*cking fraud of a man in my opinion, claiming that he scored 1,200 goals when half of them were in friendlies and training sessions. He's counting goals he scored with a flattened can of Tizer when he was six, against a brick wall which had a white goal frame painted on it.

F-R-A-U-D.

SandyB (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 16:18
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
SandyB
Show me where did I say that "Fat Ronaldo" is better than "Fake Ronaldo"

Well you delivered a 'lol' (all in capitals to add emphasis) when OG put forward the idea that the fat Ronaldo was in Cristiano Ronaldo's shadow, which he is, so I took that was an opposing opinion.

Pele's a f*cking fraud of a man in my opinion, claiming that he scored 1,200 goals when half of them were in friendlies and training sessions. He's counting goals he scored with a flattened can of Tizer when he was six, against a brick wall which had a white goal frame painted on it.

F-R-A-U-D.

LOL..(What does it mean now?????)

Shane (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 16:26
It means Pele is gash.

SandyB (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 16:29
Quote:
Shane
It means Pele is gash.
That's how an Irish troll will read it.. (Sm22)

Shane (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 16:38

Not even on a wind-up, this bloke when he was 17 looks like a Sunday league player - 02:29 05:34 and 5:40 (Sm6)

SandyB (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 16:45
Are you embarrassing yourself with bunch of threads for troll of the year award from DeTimes or creating chaos to prove Wenger was the greatest manager?? You gotta explain, Shano!! Explain!!
(Sm122)

Shane (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 16:51
I'm not the one claiming Messi and Ronaldo aren't half as good as the bloke in that video pal.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 17:05
They are probably better because the game is far less open and light years faster, I would put Maradona in a bracket with them but they are phenomenal Pele was brilliant also.

A shadow of what we were

SandyB (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 17:55
Quote:
Bergmars
They are probably better because the game is far less open and light years faster, I would put Maradona in a bracket with them but they are phenomenal Pele was brilliant also.
So based on the statement 10 or 20 years from now when little shano laughs off Ronaldo and Messi coz the game would be twice faster, ball would be half lighter, boots would be made such that ball swings n travels faster than sound does people remember Pele or Maradona?

That's why I said before that shano might not have heard of De Stephano or Raul so he didn't put their names with Pele or Maradona.
History book is cruel, it only remembers the highest achievers n when the contest becomes even tighter it only remembers one or two who had it all the best of the best things to showcase. That's why people still talk about Pele, Maradona or Beckenbaur.
I'm not that convinced that 20 years from now the generation will talk about Messi or Ronaldo as they don't have things to showcase for future generation to buy. Barca fans n Real fans will remember years to come but not the rest.

05 September, 2017 20:13
I saw Maradonna in his prime on TV play when he was at Barca and Napoli and played for Argentina. Pele I saw on TV playing in America where he looked incredible but against inferior opposition from what he was used to In Brazil, and the highlights I saw of him playing for Brazil. Those two would p,iss on Messi and Ronaldo. In their day you had real defenders who were allowed to tackle if you managed to get past the hatchet men in midfield, every team had one. Far heavier boots and balls (no pun intended), even the kit was heavier and the pitches were awful most of the time. Messi and Ronaldo are protected by the ref, tackle them, even look at them and its a penalty and a card. Lightweight football, ultra light boots, space age pitches, and basically a bunch of @#$%& running about wishing the whistle would blow for FT so they can go home and count their money. Ronaldo and Messi wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in the old days when soccer was a man's game. Not to mention Pele scored in two separate WC finals final. Fat Ronaldo scored in the final of the WC as well. Maradona carried Argentina to the finals in 1986 with his goals where they beat West Germany. I don't seem to recall Messi or C Ronaldo ever doing such feats on the world stage. Oh well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2017 20:54 by mike was right.

05 September, 2017 20:59
Quote:
SandyB
Quote:
Bergmars
So based on the statement 10 or 20 years from now when little shano laughs off Ronaldo and Messi coz the game would be twice faster, ball would be half lighter, boots would be made such that ball swings n travels faster than sound does people remember Pele or Maradona?

That's why I said before that shano might not have heard of De Stephano or Raul so he didn't put their names with Pele or Maradona.
History book is cruel, it only remembers the highest achievers n when the contest becomes even tighter it only remembers one or two who had it all the best of the best things to showcase. That's why people still talk about Pele, Maradona or Beckenbaur.
I'm not that convinced that 20 years from now the generation will talk about Messi or Ronaldo as they don't have things to showcase for future generation to buy. Barca fans n Real fans will remember years to come but not the rest.
I loved Raul, he never seemed to stop scoring. Again, against real defenders and vastly superior players to the dross out there now. Di Stefano I only know from the history of the game documentaries, but he was mustard from what I saw. Another two who would wipe the floor with Ronaldo and Messi.

Shane (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 22:49
Quote:
mike was right
Ronaldo and Messi wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in the old days when soccer was a man's game.

Yeah, back when Billy Bremner used to bring a chainsaw on to the pitch with him and run around chasing people with it. Back when Jack Charlton used to play with a pint in each hand. Back when Malcolm McDonald used to celebrate goals by picking a woman out of the crowd and punching her in the face. I miss those glory days, when Messi and Ronaldo would be the equivalent Bojan and Nani now obviously.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 00:10
Quote:
mike was right
I saw Maradonna in his prime on TV play when he was at Barca and Napoli and played for Argentina. Pele I saw on TV playing in America where he looked incredible but against inferior opposition from what he was used to In Brazil, and the highlights I saw of him playing for Brazil. Those two would p,iss on Messi and Ronaldo. In their day you had real defenders who were allowed to tackle if you managed to get past the hatchet men in midfield, every team had one. Far heavier boots and balls (no pun intended), even the kit was heavier and the pitches were awful most of the time. Messi and Ronaldo are protected by the ref, tackle them, even look at them and its a penalty and a card. Lightweight football, ultra light boots, space age pitches, and basically a bunch of @#$%& running about wishing the whistle would blow for FT so they can go home and count their money. Ronaldo and Messi wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in the old days when soccer was a man's game. Not to mention Pele scored in two separate WC finals final. Fat Ronaldo scored in the final of the WC as well. Maradona carried Argentina to the finals in 1986 with his goals where they beat West Germany. I don't seem to recall Messi or C Ronaldo ever doing such feats on the world stage. Oh well.

Yeah ... Pele was literally kicked out of the game in WC1966.

And tackling from behind was not outlawed with Maradona's ankle being broken by the Butcher of Bilbao.

It was why The French Spine never won back-to-back title when English Football managers - starting with Ferguson - realized that kicking and hacking them down will stop the passing game; plus a muddy and heavy pitch during wintry months will stop them too.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 00:18
Last season, Chelski was 3W 1D 2L for the first 6 games and then went to win 13 consecutive games before losing to Tiny Totts 2-0.

This is the target that Arsene Wenger is aiming at to be title contender - to remain unbeaten for next 17 games, with at least 15 wins.

When you go home, tell them of us and say
For their tomorrow, we gave our today.
John Maxwell Edmonds

SandyB (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 00:35
Quote:
Merlion96
Quote:
mike was right

Yeah ... Pele was literally kicked out of the game in WC1966.

And tackling from behind was not outlawed with Maradona's ankle being broken by the Butcher of Bilbao.

It was why The French Spine never won back-to-back title when English Football managers - starting with Ferguson - realized that kicking and hacking them down will stop the passing game; plus a muddy and heavy pitch during wintry months will stop them too.

The problem is some of the numpties have little clue about football let alone the history.

Ares (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 02:11
Quote:
mike was right

Sorry guys but every half decent football player who looks really old-school in the old black and white videos

Put them in 2017 and you'll be raving at their skills with the airball as much if not more than Ronaldo & Co.

I actually tried to kick one of those things once.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2017 02:14 by Ares.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 06:51
It is ridiculous to compare ppl from different eras. We need to realize that what makes thrn great is not their technical abilities,but what they do in the gane in the times they play.
Henry never once had to defend like olivier giroud and company and he could probably save his stamina for the sprints in the attacking third. Does that make henry useless in the current Era where forwards press a lot?
The other argument is the airball argument.

The point everyone is missing is, great players do whatever it takes to become great in their eras. They all adapt to whatever the game demands from them.
If it requires then to build up stamina to defend and run all game they will do it. It requires them to kick an iron ball, they will do it. If It requires them to listen to the@#$%&on 1000s of haters after one bad game they will do it.

Ronaldo wasnt half the player he is now when he left United. He worked on it. If u look at his sprints and fitness even be first arrived and his shooting accuracy to what it is now, its a big gulf.
Similarly it is wrong to claim pele played when the world of football wasnt as competitive. No video analysis to tell defenfers of their favourite moves, train them to defend. Half of the countries that are good not even playing football then, etc etc. That doesn't diminish their achievements. Same applies to CR or messi.

The point is the reason all these guys are great in their eras is because we only get a few of them every era. Few men who challenge the limits defined in their playing time and succeed.

Don't compare peles technique from his era. Im sure he if he kicked the airball as hard, he's bound to blow a few over the goal. Similarly don't diss ronaldo for playing with an airball and having it easy. If he was born in the era of pele, he would have never played with the airball, and never trained with it, but would have played with the "stone" available.
They didn't master the ball because it was air or stone. They mastered it because they wanted it bad.

Thsts why i feels its ridiculous to compare players in different era. All we have is a preference for one type of player to the other.

I myself like Maradona, messi, Zidane and zico more than any other players, but i find it wrong to say player A would never be able to hack in era B and vice versa.

The all time greats find a way to become great in whichever era they are born. Cause most of the times its the hours of practice and sweat and hunger that makes them great

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2017 07:46 by CazOnARola.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 09:01
However, you can compare what people achieved against their contemporaries to what other people have achieved in the present day. Now of course its not foolproof and it depends on what measurements you use, but it is a basis of reasonable debate.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

06 September, 2017 13:01
Sandy, I never said C.Ronaldo and Messi were than Pele and Maradona. They really can't be compared like that because as it has been pointed out, they are from different era and the game was very different.

What I did say was that C.Ronaldo and Messi were on the same level as Pele and Maradona in terms of being remembered as being the best players of all time, if for nothing else then at least just because of sheer number of goals and major trophies they won and are continuing to win, at the highest level.

Yes, if I have a son then I am pretty sure that he will talk about Ronaldo and Messi.

Anyway my main point was that some people still think of C.Ronaldo as if he were some cocky guy pretending to be one of the best and call him "fake" Ronaldo when in reality C.Ronaldo has not only surpassed Brazilian Ronaldo in terms of success (other than the WC) but C.Ronaldo is also genuinely now one of the best players of all time. So when Merlion says "fake Ronaldo", it just gets on my nerve because him calling hime fake just doesn't make any sense anymore.

SandyB (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 14:04
Quote:
Optimistic Gunner
Sandy, I never said C.Ronaldo and Messi were than Pele and Maradona. They really can't be compared like that because as it has been pointed out, they are from different era and the game was very different.
What I did say was that C.Ronaldo and Messi were on the same level as Pele and Maradona in terms of being remembered as being the best players of all time, if for nothing else then at least just because of sheer number of goals and major trophies they won and are continuing to win, at the highest level.

Yes, if I have a son then I am pretty sure that he will talk about Ronaldo and Messi.

Anyway my main point was that some people still think of C.Ronaldo as if he were some cocky guy pretending to be one of the best and call him "fake" Ronaldo when in reality C.Ronaldo has not only surpassed Brazilian Ronaldo in terms of success (other than the WC) but C.Ronaldo is also genuinely now one of the best players of all time. So when Merlion says "fake Ronaldo", it just gets on my nerve because him calling hime fake just doesn't make any sense anymore.
Christiano played just half a game in euro final where as Ronaldo scored a brace for o win a World Cup, we understand the bias but just thought of highlighting. Doesn't sound like underachiever isn't it!!

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 14:05
Of course he is a fake Ronaldo.
The other is a bona fide Ronaldo.

Ichigo (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 14:19
He can cr@p his pants as far as I'm concerned.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 14:36
The original Ronaldo was something very special.

Messi and C.Ronaldo are likewise extremely special. Messi in particular does things with a ball which are simply impossible to imagine.

However, it's fair to say the game has changed and it's unfair to say players could perform just as well in other eras.

The level of sports science, nutrition etc are so advanced now players have that as an advantage. The ball, and boots have dramatically changed also. I will say, I find it hard to believe Messi would have an old pig skin ball glued to his feet the way he does these aero-floaters do.

On that subject did anyone ever play with the original Nike footballs from the 90's? The white ones with a black swoosh on them. Bloody hell, they were hard. Killed my feet playing with that ball.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 18:19
Yes i did. Left wing. The point is messi never played with those balls for us to judge to say he could have or not. 99%of your muscle memory and bone strength is built before 20. You cannot adapt to something you were never exposed to.
Are the players over paid, over hyped, and have lost touch with financial realities? Yes.
Do they have more straight line speed but not so good around a chicane? Yes.
Are they all nothing compared to the greats of yesteryears? No. Greats in any era are greats. Admire them all.

Are they all spolied brats? Most of them

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 02:23 by CazOnARola.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 21:21
Quote:
CazOnARola
Yes i did. Left wing. The point is messi never played with those balls for us to judge to say he could have or not. 99%of your muscle memory and bone strength is built before 20. You cannot adapt to something you were never exposed to.
Are the players over paid, over hyped, and have lost touch with financial realities? Yes.
Do they have more straight line speed but not so good around a chicane? Yes.
Are they all nothing compared to the greats of yesteryears? No. Greats in era are greats. Admire them all.

Are they all spolied brats? Most of them

thumbs down

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net