football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Poll: Who has had the best window?
MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 07:03

Who has had the best transfer window?

Chelsea
Tottenham
City
Liverpool
Arsenal (so De Times can vote)
United
Everton
Other (state)

You must be logged in to vote.

20 Votes

Show results

Unfortunately some of the teams around us have done some very good business. Who do you think has done the best business?

Personally I can't look further than Man United. Yes, they've spent sh*tloads again, but they've added a good young centre half, a top forward and a top defensive midfielder to an already strong squad, re-signed Zlatan and hung onto Martial, whilst only really losing Rooney from their first team squad. Their team looks very good with great depth, and when you factor in the manager as well, they are my favourites for the title (although, they were my favourites last season and finished below us!). The only position I feel they should've strengthened is left back.

I think Liverpool have done some great business as well. When they eventually sell (the vastly overrated) Coutinho, either today, in January or next summer, they will have have replaced him with Salah, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Keita, an improvement by anyone's standards. They've also signed a better left back in Robertson. Think they still needed a goalkeeper and a centre half though.

City's window has been good, adding a goalkeeper, the amazing Bernardo Silva, and three quality full backs, though I feel they needed at least one more centre half.

Tottenham have hung on to most of their stars, replacing Walker with a much better right back in Aurier, signing two top young centre halfs (thought Davinson Sanchez was brilliant in the Europa League final), and bringing in Llorente as backup to Kane. Good window as well.

Chelsea have had a strange window, getting rid of some useful home grown players like Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek and Aina, plus Zouma, who'd have been perfectly feasible squad players, whilst moaning about lacking depth, handing Matic to a title rival, and creating an absolute mess with Diego Costa. That being said, they've still bought in six good players, miles better than us.

Meanwhile, Everton have bought in real quality all over the park, but haven't properly replaced Lukaku yet, and probably still lack quality cover for Coleman.

Anyone I've missed?

Re: Poll: Who has had the best window?
Kalela (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 07:19
The Spurs upgrading their right back options while making a profit I thought was really smart. Aurier is a much better full back than Walker.

We don't have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap - Arsene Wenger

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 07:23
Riyad Mahrez and Ross Barkley both unable to sort deadline day moves.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 07:31
Quote:
Kalela
The Spurs upgrading their right back options while making a profit I thought was really smart. Aurier is a much better full back than Walker.

Yeah, solid business. Plus they've added two young centre halves to, what was already, the best defence in the league.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 11:26
Coutinho overratted? I don't think so! I remember when you tried to tell me Oscas was better than him.

As for Salah you called him "shite." I've always said he was top class.

And when I was calling for Aurier over Debuchy, you said Debuchy was the better signing.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 11:59
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Coutinho overratted? I don't think so! I remember when you tried to tell me Oscas was better than him.
As for Salah you called him "shite." I've always said he was top class.

And when I was calling for Aurier over Debuchy, you said Debuchy was the better signing.

1. Yes, I think Coutinho is overrated. Yes, he is capable of game-changing moments, but over the course of a season I don't think he has ever shown that "top drawer" level of consistency, hence him still playing for Liverpool. As an example, he went missing for a large portion of last season and many Liverpool fans were going mental. It is telling Barcelona have been watching him for years but only come in for him now they're desperate after losing Neymar. I wouldn't want to pay more than £60/ 70m for him.

2. Yes, but my Oscar v Coutinho comments date back to 2013/14, when Oscar's goal contribution was nearly double what Coutinho's was. If I were asked to choose between them now, I'd pick Coutinho. If you want to trawl back through statements made nearly five years ago though, that's fine. I seem to recall you not always being as big on Monreal as you pretend to be.

3. Salah was poor when he played for Chelsea, hence him going away to Italy for three seasons, or are you going to try and deny that? He has clearly come back a better player now. Perhaps he made the move to a big club to soon in his career? That often happens, look at Ryan Babel.

4. You may recall I was actually touting signing Aurier on here before you were, much like with Manolas. Again, much like with Manolas, I chose to get over it and move on when we didn't sign him, as it is out of my hands.

5. My exact words when we signed Debuchy were "solid but unspectacular". I don't think that is really saying he is a "better signing", but that is just the way it had to be at the time. From Wenger's point of view, we had Hector Bellerin threatening to break through at the time, and there is no way he would've signed Aurier at that time.

6. I hope you have taken the time to vote in my poll.

Have a good day.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 12:38
Pool have had the best window closely followed by spurs. Because spurs didn't lose anyone except walker and hence do not have to rebuild like we had to when other clubs took our players. Pool held onto coutinnho an have akready replaced him with atheletic players capable of playing klopps heavy metal football.

United have had the best players, but then i think they have all the money in the world to spend, which is why the tactful approach from pool and spurs take top spots for me

01 September, 2017 13:06
United look like a top top team, Jose means business. He added class and didn't lose any of his stars.
I don't know if they will win the league but looking at just the, squads it's United's to lose imo.

Ours has been a shambles, not the worst ever though, that goes to the Cech summer.

SandyB (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 14:47
lol, Coutinho is overrated? Funny comment. Salah or Ox wouldn't be able to tie his boot. My spuds buddy is gloating that they have the best transfer window with never heard of center back they signed but may be they have. Actually it's hard to say who has the best. I think both Liverpool n spuds might have value for money signings, that's the only thing matters as ultimately these two teams will be the Wenger cup competitors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2017 14:50 by SandyB.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 15:15
Quote:
SandyB
lol, Coutinho is overrated? Funny comment. Salah or Ox wouldn't be able to tie his boot. My spuds buddy is gloating that they have the best transfer window with never heard of center back they signed but may be they have. Actually it's hard to say who has the best. I think both Liverpool n spuds might have value for money signings, that's the only thing matters as ultimately these two teams will be the Wenger cup competitors.

I'd rather have Salah and Ox than Coutinho.

The one Spurs centre half looked good in the Europa League final, never heard of the other one.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 15:18
Coutinnho is the perfect nos 10 for any team that wants to press and score. He would work well under klopp and mourinho. Don't know about how he will do at barca, but he's got good goal scoring abilities rcb though i rate other 10s higher for passing. 138 is a lot though but then we live in crazy time where mbappe is worth a lot more than he ever should

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 15:29
Quote:
CazOnARola
Coutinnho is the perfect nos 10 for any team that wants to press and score. He would work well under klopp and mourinho. Don't know about how he will do at barca, but he's got good goal scoring abilities rcb though i rate other 10s higher for passing. 138 is a lot though but then we live in crazy time where mbappe is worth a lot more than he ever should

Mbappe is a ridiculous investment though, bit like Pogba

younghansolo (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 16:22
In the EPL,

Probably united. They got what they needed.

Outside of that PSG had a quite ridiculous window.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 17:18
Spurs did well not to lose any of their best players or their manager to bigger clubs.

Utd bought the best.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 12:54
United they'll win the prem love or loath him Jose is a proper manager

DB10,the best.

Shane (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 16:07
Quote:
SuperRob
Spurs did well not to lose any of their best players or their manager to bigger clubs.
Utd bought the best.

That's because they're all contracted to the year 2025. There might be a lesson in that.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 23:57
Quote:
SuperRob
Utd bought the best.

Doubt it.
With continual financial constraints and WC2018 as the great Footballer Bazaar coming, those young players and their agents knew that they only have to be patient and wait for Barca, Real, PSG, Bayern, Abu Dhabi, Chelski, ManU, etc. to submit a mega-bid and offer to triple and quadruple their salaries.

I think Lloris is still their highest earner at 80,000pw.

And Levy will need to recoup player sales to pay for their 800,000,000 GBP Kentucky Henhouse when completed in 2020 ... like Arsenal FC needed to sell their players to finance 420-mil Emirates construction cost.

E.g. selling players to Barca helps to defray about one-third of Emirates construction costs.

But then Highbury Square development helped to partially finance Emirates but Tiny Totts do not have property development.

Most interesting to watch how Tint Totts will handle their debt burdens after WC2018.

SandyB (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 00:12
Merl, spud's major players like Kane, Alli, Eriksen are very EPL specific players barring wonders don't have much impact on World Cup that's why they aren't hot items in European football. Gareth Bale was far more suited for European football but didn't go well in Europe. Spuds are safe from Barca, Madrid, PSG, Bayern tapping up their star players.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 05:01
Quote:
SandyB
Merl, spud's major players like Kane, Alli, Eriksen are very EPL specific players barring wonders don't have much impact on World Cup that's why they aren't hot items in European football. Gareth Bale was far more suited for European football but didn't go well in Europe. Spuds are safe from Barca, Madrid, PSG, Bayern tapping up their star players.
This makes a lot of sense. The only way spurs can get raised its of united, Chelsea and city come calling

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net