football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Central Midfield
Gunners R Us (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 23:02
Our options:
Xhaka
Ramsey
Elneny
Coquelin

Wilshere & Cazorla recovering from long term injuries.

The one position we needed top quality in the most and not even a back up player signed.

Even with Arteta and Ramsey at the helm 3 years ago we still needed another signing here.

This is a sackable offence.

Re: Central Midfield
Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 23:14
There is massive hole in our midfield and it has been there for a long time now. It won't be filled unitll Wenger is gone.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

kudzif01 (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 23:22
This bypassing of central midfield is one of the strangest things Arsene has ever done.Everyone i know of thinks we are lacking in central midfield but apparently Arsene does not see this: i am totally perplexed.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 07:17
Quote:
kudzif01
This bypassing of central midfield is one of the strangest things Arsene has ever done.Everyone i know of thinks we are lacking in central midfield but apparently Arsene does not see this: i am totally perplexed.

He's been severely neglecting the position for years and years.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 07:37
Every position except the number 10 role is neglected.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 07:41
Quote:
SuperRob
Every position except the number 10 role is neglected.

Pretty much.

Flava (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 11:27
There's no point playing Ramsey in a 2. He plays where he wants although I think this maybe to Wenger's instruction.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 12:00
The training ground and the tactics board have been neglected as well.

hahanice (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 12:37
Play the ox there.

TonyStark (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 15:27
Xhaka has been so hot & cold. Is he capable of playing more than 1 good game ?
I wish Jack could be what we hoped he could be, but...

Flava (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 16:52
Get the horse placenta out for Santi and Jack.

I hate to say it but I'd go with Coquelin and Xhaka at the moment. As long as Coquelin plays the role he did with Santi.

01 September, 2017 17:31
Quote:
Flava
Get the horse placenta out for Santi and Jack.
I hate to say it but I'd go with Coquelin and Xhaka at the moment. As long as Coquelin plays the role he did with Santi.

I would agree tbh. And when santi returns I would go back to santi and coq

SuperRob (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 18:04
Cazorla hasn't been named in our 25 man squad so we won't be seeing him until January at the earliest

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 20:56
Coquelin went out because he started trying to ping cross field balls. Him and ramsey would have worked as well.
After the last game, id rather we revert to 4-3-3 and even play iwobi as the B2B. I'm sure he won't vacate his position as many times as xhaka and ramsey did

Goofle (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 04:51
Iwobi B2B grinning smiley

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 06:02
Am just taking about players who might listen to the the instructions.

Clearly wenger had asked the team to play 5-3-2, ozil being the 3rd player in MF to cover pool, but all 3 didn't play their position very well. In iwobi u will have a player who can carry the bank from the deep so that coquelin just tackle and play a couple of passes of need be

Goofle (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 07:58
Coquelin shouldn't be in consideration.

Flava (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 10:12
Neither should Ramsey, he's been awful

Bergmars (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 12:57
Pity Jack can't stay fit

DB10,the best.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 13:18
Jack is pretty overweight and has lost the plot. Most English players eventually suffer this. Harry kane might be next

SuperRob (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 23:33
@#$%& it. Let's just play monreal centre midfield.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 00:01
Quote:
CazOnARola
Am just taking about players who might listen to the the instructions.
Clearly wenger had asked the team to play 5-3-2, ozil being the 3rd player in MF to cover pool, but all 3 didn't play their position very well. In iwobi u will have a player who can carry the bank from the deep so that coquelin just tackle and play a couple of passes of need be

In his formative years as a coach in 1980s & 1990s, Arsene Wenger was watching Bundesliga where Franz Beckanbuer was trying out 3-5-2.

Subconsciously, I suspect Wenger was trying out 3-5-2 to dominate midfield and nullified Liverpool attacks. But then an undisciplined Ramsey, an awful Xhaka and a Back-3 that went forward too far derailed his defensive plan.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 00:19
Wales kept their chances of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup alive with a 1-0 win against Austria at the Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday, and Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey was one of their stand-out performers.

The 26-year-old has been deployed in a deeper midfield role by Arsene Wenger when he has featured this season, but the Welshman looked far more comfortable with a more attacking role in the middle of the park for his country against Austria.

Ben Woodburn’s goal won it for the hosts, but Ramsey’s positive showing would have been particularly disappointing for fans of the Gunners, who have endured yet another tough start to a Premier League season.

Arsenal supporters were quick to have their say on their player’s performance via social media, and they were frustrated that he seems to be a completely different player when he is playing for Wales than he is for Arsene Wenger’s side.

[www.footballfancast.com]

We have too many No. 10 in the team - Ozil, Xhaka, Ramsey, Wilshere, Iwobi.

And you can't field two of them at the same time as it leaves the Back=3 exposed and a vacuum in the middle when all of them at the opponent final third during attack, and when a swift counter-attack with a long pass to the flank and centre leaving only 1 or 2 Arsenal players defending.

Arsene Wenger should go back to basic with Coquelin or Elneny sitting at the centre circle to guard against counter-attacks and to slug it out in the middle to win balls.

SandyB (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 06:26
Quote:
Merlion96
Wales kept their chances of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup alive with a 1-0 win against Austria at the Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday, and Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey was one of their stand-out performers.
The 26-year-old has been deployed in a deeper midfield role by Arsene Wenger when he has featured this season, but the Welshman looked far more comfortable with a more attacking role in the middle of the park for his country against Austria.

Ben Woodburn’s goal won it for the hosts, but Ramsey’s positive showing would have been particularly disappointing for fans of the Gunners, who have endured yet another tough start to a Premier League season.

Arsenal supporters were quick to have their say on their player’s performance via social media, and they were frustrated that he seems to be a completely different player when he is playing for Wales than he is for Arsene Wenger’s side.

[www.footballfancast.com]

We have too many No. 10 in the team - Ozil, Xhaka, Ramsey, Wilshere, Iwobi.

And you can't field two of them at the same time as it leaves the Back=3 exposed and a vacuum in the middle when all of them at the opponent final third during attack, and when a swift counter-attack with a long pass to the flank and centre leaving only 1 or 2 Arsenal players defending.

Arsene Wenger should go back to basic with Coquelin or Elneny sitting at the centre circle to guard against counter-attacks and to slug it out in the middle to win balls.
So who plays no 10 Ozil or Ramsey? Since last season most of the Arsenal games I watched(not that many only big games), I don't see any midfield.

Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 12:39
I think Iwobi would be amazing as a central midfielder

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

Shane (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 13:35
For Nottingham Forest.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 09:11
Right now the team is not doing even the most basic things right that even teams like brighton do better. Their individual qualify is not a pbm.
Any player that listens to instructions, will improve this team.
Thsts why managers take off star players in many games where the writing is akready on the wall.
One is to give younger players and rest big players but other is that big players will also lack the motivation to carry out a plan at times when your are 3-0 down at 75 min but a younger player keenn to impress might.

Right now we are! So many basics is not even funny.

hahanice (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 17:31
i would love to see iwobi as a 10. think ramsey should be there as well. been brilliant for wales every game hes there.

the sooner ozil is out of the starting 11 the better.

Goofle (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 17:41
We don't need a #10. 3 man midfield that's actually stable is more important. Özil can play from the right linking up with Ramsey and the other two attackers.

hahanice (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 00:07
Quote:
Goofle
We don't need a #10. 3 man midfield that's actually stable is more important. Özil can play from the right linking up with Ramsey and the other two attackers.

Why can't he just sit on the bench? What has he done for us? We won 2 FA cups with him, but let's not forget it was Ramsey who was decisive in those not ozil

Goofle (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 12:32
Because Özil is out best player. Kind of important to pick them.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 14:37
Quote:
Goofle

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 06:58
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
Goofle

He should be selected based on form and performance. Not reputation.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 12:32
He created Smith chances to win is two games already this season.
Its not his fault if ppl dont pass the ball back to him.
Everyone was awful at anfield because of the 5-3-xx shape that wenger put out and the lack of effort.

If sanchez comes into the team again, ozil won't some cause sanchez is a ball hogging monster. He wants it all the time and doesn't want antibody else to have it.

Play iwobi, ozil, lacazette, xhaka, monreal at LB in same team and u shall see a difference. These guys don't dribble unnecessary and actually want to pass and cab pass decently well. And laca cab actually finish

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net