football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Liverpool
MattySadler (IP Logged)
27 August, 2017 17:03
Cech - 7. Made at least three or four really good saves. Couldn't have done much more about the goals.

Holding - 3. Completely out of his depth. Struggled with the fast, fluid attackers.
Koscielny - 5. Best outfielder, not that that is saying much.
Monreal - 3. Couldn't deal with Salah at LCB. Nearly cost us a goal when at LB. Poor.

Oxlade-Chamberlain - 4. Largely ineffective.
Xhaka - 4. Overran and outnumbered. At fault for the first.
Ramsey - 4. Overran and outnumbered.
Bellerin - 3. Useless going forward on the left. Embarrassing on Liverpool's third goal.

Ozil - 3. Embarrassing first half. Second half was marginally better.
Welbeck - 4. Missed our best chance of the first half. Didn't do much else.
Alexis - 4. Also largely ineffective.

Subs:

Coquelin - 5. Started off pretty lively but it didn't last long.
Giroud - 5. Tried to give us a presence in the Liverpool penalty area by winning a few headers.
Lacazette - 5. Saw a lot of the ball but didn't do an awful lot with it.

What is there left to say? That was absolutely horrific from start to finish. I have no idea what we were trying to do but there was a completely lack of any sort of system or implementation of tactics, coupled with the sort of baffling team selection we've come to expect. As usual we didn't look ready for the start of the game. Liverpool played three hardworking midfielders against our two, with three live wire attackers against our back three, and we were completely overran. We tried switching to four at the back for the second half but it literally made no difference at all. We had no answer to Liverpool and were made to look pedestrian. It finished 4-0 but could've been a lot, lot more.

As bizarre as this may sound now, I still feel we have a much better squad than Liverpool's, but they have a much better manager, who makes his players believe in what he is trying to do, and he uses them in a much better way. Compare their hunger, desire, passion, fight, work rate, etc, to our complete lack of those qualities. We were poorly setup from the start and Liverpool's belief exposed that.

Really hurts to watch as well.

Also, imagine dropping a 21 year old defender to the U23s, publicly stating that he's lost his confidence, and then throwing him back in against Liverpool a week later. What sort of man management is that!?

I don't blame Mustafi, Alexis, Oxlade-Chamberlain or whoever else for wanting to leave. This manager just isn't good enough and it is getting proved time and time again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2017 07:33 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Liverpool
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
27 August, 2017 17:10
Meaning ... Arsene Wenger should stick to his principle not to force a player to stay against his will when he no longer has the heart and will to play for Arsenal FC.

Silent Stan deserved Arsene Wenger when sponsorships and advertisers started to desert a loser like Arsenal FC.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 10:44
I think this is a very good approximation, although I would add zero for the manager, and bring Ramsey down to 2, as he only played half a game, even Wenger had enough of his uselessness

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 11:08
Those ratings are quite generous Matty.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

MattySadler (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 11:14
What can I say I'm a lover not a hater

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 14:01
Cech - 7. MOTM. Letting in more goals at Arsenal than all Chelski seasons combined.

Holding - 1. Just a flash in the pan and will end up like Richard Wright, lost his confidence after letting a ball slipped through his fingers and gone between his legs.

Koscielny - 3. Can't even organize an orgy in a brothel let alone our defence.

Monreal - 3. Remember we complained Ozil always left him exposed at left flank?

Oxlade-Chamberlain - 0. Just went through the motion waiting to jump ship.

Xhaka - 1. Proved he was bought by StatsDNA.

Ramsey - 2. It is not the size of the dog that counts but the fight in the dog.

Bellerin - 3. Very homesick and can't hardly wait to return to Barca.

Ozil - 3. Saw him once or twice on TV.

Welbeck - 2. Van Gaal must be laughing now.

Alexis - 3. Just sell him.

Subs:

Coquelin - 3. Invisible and why didn't he stayed deep and protect left flank?
Giroud - 5. Tried to give us a presence in the Liverpool penalty area by winning a few headers.
Lacazette - 3. He still cannot link-up with the team.

Arsene Wenger?

In Wengerese: Öh f**k, I will need to buy 5 new players again on August 31.

When you go home, tell them of us and say
For their tomorrow, we gave our today.
John Maxwell Edmonds

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 14:09
“I’m struggling to remember a worse Arsenal performance than this. It was humiliating,” Keown told the Daily Mail.

“There are players who look as if they don't want to be there — and a manager who looks like he has lost his way.

“It does not seem like Arsene Wenger is making rational decisions. Why did he leave Alexandre Lacazette — his club-record, £53million signing — on the bench for such an important match? 

“Surely it made sense to play him at a ground where Arsenal have not won for five years. 
“Why was Hector Bellerin deployed at left wing-back when Sead Kolasinac, a naturally left-sided player, was available? Kolasinac has been a rare shining light in Arsenal's poor start.”

“And why sell Gabriel who, in my view, was Arsenal's best pound-for-pound defender after Laurent Koscielny?” Known added.

“It meant the inexperienced Rob Holding — who only came into the side in April — was thrown to the wolves. 

“Liverpool had too much pace and know-how in Sadio Mane and Mo Salah.”
Arsenal will hope to get back to winning ways after the international break with the visit of Bournemouth.

[www.express.co.uk]

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 14:58
This speaks volumes on the current state of Arsene Wenger's team.

Look like Cech and Mertesacker are the only leader left.

Koscielny should be stripped off his captaincy and he is a disgrace to allow the team to deteriorate to such a shamble without him reaming and bawling those players on the pitch.
He is certainly no leader, just Bart Simpson.

[www.givemesport.com]

“You cannot come here and, obviously you can come and lose 4-0 – it can happen on a bad day when you find you are unlucky and your opponent is playing well and scores every shot they have then it can happen. But not like it happened today because I think the way it happened today is unacceptable.

“We were not fighting, we were not running enough, we were not winning any individual battles and as a team we completely failed to respond to their way of playing and this is the most disappointing. We have only ourselves to blame.”

What Cech did after the match inside dressing room

Cech has always come across as a placid, level-headed kind of guy, but even he lost his temper after his side’s shambolic performance against Liverpool.

According to the Telegraph - and this should put smiles on a few Arsenal fans’ faces - Cech “ripped into his teammates” while conducting a dressing-room inquest.

Cech reportedly told the Arsenal players that they had led the club down and embarrassed themselves.

The former Chelsea star, shocked by how his teammates capitulated, is understood to have dished out the dressing down because Arsene Wenger wouldn’t.

“But the fact it was Cech and not Wenger who blasted the team will only strengthen the opinion of the Frenchman’s critics that he is not hard enough on his under-performing players,” the Telegraph’s football correspondent Matt Law writes.
Indeed, you have to wonder what it would actually take for Wenger to blast his players after a match.

Cech also thanked fans after the match
Looks like he was the only one...

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 08:34
Cech should shut up and do his job! He was at fault for 3 of their goals!

Flava (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 16:06
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

Which 3 were they then mate?

younghansolo (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 16:17
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

Wow,what an utterly idiotic thing to say. Now is really not the time to push your idiotic agenda against Cech.
We have much, much bigger problems

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 17:02
His foot work and positioning was poor. Am not going to go in detail but I've practised Tai chi for years and I know about footwork and weight distribution.

For Salah goal why was he showing him the near post when everyone knows it's easier to score at the near post than far.

I think you guys know am not blaming him alone, we've got issues everywhere on the pitch and off it.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 17:14
GS you do make yourself sound stupid when ripping the players you dont like. Cech was out best player in what was a terrible performance.

You say the Salah goal was his fault? Not Bellerin's for losing the ball in the first place and being last man? You say due to your superior chi mon thai dwondo knowledge that Cech's feet didnt move correctly or quickly enough? They seemed to move like Usain f.ucking Bolt when he got across to save Salah's earlier effort, but we wont mention that.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 20:23
Quote:
BootyDaddy
GS you do make yourself sound stupid when ripping the players you dont like. Cech was out best player in what was a terrible performance.
You say the Salah goal was his fault? Not Bellerin's for losing the ball in the first place and being last man? You say due to your superior chi mon thai dwondo knowledge that Cech's feet didnt move correctly or quickly enough? They seemed to move like Usain f.ucking Bolt when he got across to save Salah's earlier effort, but we wont mention that.

(Sm152)

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 22:43
Yep Ive been proven wrong about Cech, Mustafi, Xhaka and Ramsey, they've been outstanding...

The whole team was shite but let's pretend because Cech made a few good saves that he couldn't do anything about Liverpools goals, b ullshit!

A top goalkeeper would do better with 3 of those goals. Salah goal was embarrassing, Cech made it easy for him.

Am not blaming Cech for the loss, but what annoys me is certain individuals on here just keep on praising Cech because they want me to be proven wrong, it's pathetic!

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 07:50
They don't just keep on praising Cech GS.

He is the best we have at the club at this moment in time.

Most no we need/want a keeper.

Whatever thread you seem to post in it usually ends up having a bash at Cech.
Time to change the record.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 07:58
I wouldn't flatter yourself GS, id lean more towards people praising Cech when he deserves it or when he was the only positive in what was a dire performance on Sunday .... Rather than just doing it to 'prove you wrong'.

The fact that you are so hell bent on being proven right is what makes you so irrational over the whole thing and you end up sounding rather silly and like a broken record.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net